Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,899 members, 7,810,457 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:22 AM

British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up (3730 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Scooping Petrol: Fire Service Cautions Against It / Jonathan Cautions Against Threat To Peace In Guinea Bissau (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 10:08am On Oct 07, 2013
Wsdm:
If all the allocations through NDDC, MINISTRY OF NIGER DELTA, AMNESTY MONEY,13% derivation, lopsided ministerial appointees, official oil theft, and the president from that region have not transformed you to even Togo, let us see how you will be transformed to Ghana at the long run.
The high commissioner has just spoken his own feelings, say your own without insulting him.

Do you think a Nigerian ambassador can go to england and tell them what to do. Mumu, who told you ghana or togo's economy is as good as Nigeria's.
Its your type that worships this good for nothing whites like gods
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by dasparrow: 10:10am On Oct 07, 2013
@Post

Dr Andrew Pocock should stop reasoning like a dumb co.ck. His country England has less people living in it than Nigeria yet see how prosperous England is/was. So what has population got to do with it? Nigeria cannot continue the way she is going now. Look at our power sector, where I live in FCT, we have not had light for 1 week straight. Yet, smaller African countries enjoy constant light with minimum to no interruption. Why should we stay together so that boko haram will keep killing innocent souls? Why should we stay together so that our politicians will keep stashing our money away in foreign banks in Europe? Why should we stay together when the average Nigerian sees himself as Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa first, then his religion before seeing himself as Nigerian?

The truth is that Britain is benefiting from this quagmire called Nigeria that they created and that is why they don't want us to split. However, they have failed. This unholy union must come to an end. I have not benefited anything from Nigeria's overpopulation or diversity. The average Nigerian is a tribalist and Nigeria is way to crowded. Most Nigerian youths cannot even find employment and have no access to small business loans to start a business. Yet, we should stay together and keep suffering and smiling. Andrew, go take a back seat!
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by cashkidisback(m): 10:13am On Oct 07, 2013
if he so much love nig,why dont he nationalise as a nigerian n go live in borno to enjoy almagamation wit us undecided

2 Likes

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 10:15am On Oct 07, 2013
Promhize:

You are eediot! Do you think a Nigerian ambassador can go to england and tell them what to do. Mumu, who told you ghana or togo's economy is as good as Nigeria's.

Well as much as i am not in support of the British Making decisions in Affairs related to Nigeria i still think that the man has only spoken what he feels, It is left for us now to decide what we really want as a country, i think this itself has presented an opportunity to tackle the most serious problem we have in Nigeria, 100 years together is not easy, but at a time before our era, after the amalgamation i think people were happy about the whole thing, but then some persons got tired of being together, and since it is not by force to be together after 100 years, there were options of pulling out, Now we do not need to make it a big deal, what we should be doing is consult those representing every region to check what our individual options are in pulling out, and how it will benefit us, this doesn't need to cause war or havoc since it is Legal for anyone who wants to pull out to do so.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Lordave: 10:17am On Oct 07, 2013
iterator25: Let them break it...Nobody will tell them to integrate back... they think they'd survive in isolation.. lolz
Just listen to yourself, chei!!! SMH for you.

And those two kids ranting about tribes on this thread instead of facing the topic should get their sorry arses up for a ban.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 10:23am On Oct 07, 2013
Can we please drop tribalism and face the topic please, this place will become crowded soon and those tribalism comment wont help matters at all.

Thank you
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by nduchucks: 10:28am On Oct 07, 2013
The cold fact is that this breakup wish of the elite NLer who are opportuned to have internet access, is shared by a minute minority of Nigerians.

Most of the loud mouth NLers who yell Breakup at every opportunity, do not have the resources, influence, or power to make it happen.

These wishful thinkers are depending on the 'owners of Nigeria', bunkering militants, and anyone but themselves, to make it happen.

The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of 150million Nigerians including the owners of Nigeria, do not wish for a breakup. Dreamers can keep on dreaming.

The average Nigerian is more concerned about meeting the basic needs of his/her family. Na only people wey don belle full or wey dey suffer frustration for diaspora dey champion this breakup.

Not to worry, Army go take care of una needs.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Wsdm: 10:30am On Oct 07, 2013
Promhize:

You are eediot! Do you think a Nigerian ambassador can go to england and tell them what to do. Mumu, who told you ghana or togo's economy is as good as Nigeria's.
Nigeria ambassador can't say that because Nigeria was not involved in British colonization.
At least the Igbos have been agitating for Biafra even when they are not the president. Why is it that you people are doing so just now that your brother is at the helm? Are you displaying cowardice or what?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 10:38am On Oct 07, 2013
geeez: Hey Andrew, even Benin Republic, as small as it is, has grown in population as well as economically and it's still growing

You've not addressed reasons why the Yorubas should remain in the union

Are Yorubas safe in the North? Are they welcome in the East?

Every nation will grow but the question is at what rate considering the capacity it has.

The Western Region as well as other regions were growing faster than Nigeria is growing now so what's the fuss about?
Geeez, if Yoruba people are not safe in the north, don't you think as we call for a breakup we should also clamour for irredentism? Obafemi Awolowo in 1948, clamouring for irredentism, for Yoruba people in the Northern Region to be part of the Western Region through boundary adjustment. Today you have Yoruba in Kogi and Kwara states in the North Central.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by ikeyman00(m): 10:42am On Oct 07, 2013
@@@

ndu_chucks: 10:28am

The cold fact is that this breakup wish of the elite NLer who are opportuned to have internet access, is shared by a minute minority of Nigerians.

Most of the loud mouth NLers who yell Breakup at every opportunity, do not have the resources, influence, or power to make it happen.

These wishful thinkers are depending on the 'owners of Nigeria', bunkering militants, and anyone but themselves, to make it happen.

The truth of the matter is that the vast majority of 150million Nigerians including the owners of Nigeria, do not wish for a breakup. Dreamers can keep on dreaming.

The average Nigerian is more concerned about meeting the basic needs of his/her family. Na only people wey don belle full or wey dey suffer frustration for diaspora dey champion this breakup.

yes as long as ur imam start to tell the deadly northern elites wat they don't wana hear

it is well lipsrsealed
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by tobalade1: 11:19am On Oct 07, 2013
Menendez: THE British High Commissioner to Nigeria, Dr. Andrew Pocock, at the weekend in Lagos, admonished Nigerians not to contemplate disintegration as the nation arrives at the milestone of 100 years of amalgamation, noting that there are great benefits in staying together as one united country.
He said Nigeria had grown since its foundation and nobody should think of pulling out of the union. “It has grown in terms of its population, economy, regional, continental and global impact. So, I think it is not right to say that Nigeria hasn’t grown, and it is still growing economically. I think if Nigeria can pull together and stay as one united country, which it has every prospect of doing, the future is good.”
Pocock said whether the British did the right thing by amalgamating the northern and southern Nigeria was a decision that Nigerians should make, looking back at their own history.
According to him, without amalgamation, Nigeria would not have been the international force it is today, “So, it was the right thing to do then.”
Attempting to enumerate the achievements that Nigeria should be celebrating within this period of 100 years of amalgamation, the British envoy said “it is the giant of the region and it is the giant of the continent and I think it is quite enough to celebrate.”
He said he was not aware of the clause in the instrument that legitimised the amalgamation, which gives liberty to any section that is not satisfied with the union to pull out of the country after 100 years of its existence.
“I have no idea whether that clause exists and that is really a decision for Nigerians and not for the British government. I do not think that the British government has any authority on this; it is a matter very much for Nigerians to decide. But with 100 years to celebrate, I think, one should look towards more positive outcome in the future,” Pocock said.
The envoy was in Lagos to attend the Eagle Toastmasters Club Speech Contest with the theme: Nigeria at 100; Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, at Eko Hotels.
He told The Guardian that he had just been introduced to toastmasters and it struck them as a very worthy and important organisation to deal with.
Twelve contestants from a pool of almost 400 Toastmasters in 15 clubs around Nigeria earned a chance to compete in the Toastmasters international speech contest. Mr. Patrick Oluyide came first to take home the trophy for best speaker and by extension, brought pride to their club.

The late Sarduanah once said look at mistake of 1914 because Awolowo offended him
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by kettykin: 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
ndu_chucks: The cold fact is that this breakup wish of the elite NLer who are opportuned to have internet access, is shared by a minute minority of Nigerians.

The army should have taken care of the needs of the oil rich Bakassi peninsular first is not the same army that lost more than 500,000 of its soldiers and resorted to sabotaging farm lands to continue the war, the same army lost countless soldiers including the son of a former head state to the Niger Delta militants during Yaradua's Tenure and had to rely on the amnesty offered to militants for peace to reign .
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Bigcake: 12:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
Mafia Man:

His father that died in London while Femi Fani Kayode was fvvking Bianca?

How many ibos are in the north? How many Yorubas are in the north?

Even ojukwu asked you to vote for IBB(his slave master) against Jonathan. Ibo people are the most useless people of all time.
Yoruba people r underdogs in Nigeria's politics. Apart frm obasanjo who else frm yoruba has tasted presidency? And for records, yoruba people are known for ra.ping their children. Obasanjo ra.ped gbega's wife. Fani kayode slept wit his two daugthers, ur dead faather slept wit ur younger sister i can prove it i hav the facts. The list is just too long.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by musiwa1l: 12:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
the british high commissioner does not know the history of nigeria, the british living in nigeria watch nigeria television which is 419.

i never knew the nigeria govt was 419.. living here have open my eyes.. that everything in nigeria is yahoo yahoo.

Guinean ambassador was reading this. that why they told them to say he was quitting the commonwealth.. to show that they use to be part of british west africa...

the nigeria 419 bug have catch the man british high commissioner... welcome to naija.. they will very soon steal his passport . if he does not sharp up. one day he will wake up. and his new name will become uchenna adio bello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz2IFcb7PZM

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by musiwa1l: 12:50pm On Oct 07, 2013
MANY MEMBERS OF THE NIGERIA GOVT RUN SCAM, THIS IS WHY ALOT OF THEM DONT LIKE ME, BECAUSE I AM DESTROYING BUSINESS.

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 3:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
Bigcake: Yoruba people r underdogs in Nigeria's politics. Apart frm obasanjo who else frm yoruba has tasted presidency? And for records, yoruba people are known for ra.ping their children. Obasanjo ra.ped gbega's wife. Fani kayode slept wit his two daugthers, ur dead faather slept wit ur younger sister i can prove it i hav the facts. The list is just too long.
Atleast Olusegun Obasanjo, a Yoruba man has been President, which Igbo man has? Which one can?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 3:24pm On Oct 07, 2013
musiwa1l: the british high commissioner does not know the history of nigeria, the british living in nigeria watch nigeria television which is 419.

i never knew the nigeria govt was 419.. living here have open my eyes.. that everything in nigeria is yahoo yahoo.

Guinean ambassador was reading this. that why they told them to say he was quitting the commonwealth.. to show that they use to be part of british west africa...

the nigeria 419 bug have catch the man british high commissioner... welcome to naija.. they will very soon steal his passport . if he does not sharp up. one day he will wake up. and his new name will become uchenna adio bello

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz2IFcb7PZM
Musiwa, hope you've not forgotten your plans to address? When is it coming up?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by AlfaSeltzer(m): 3:32pm On Oct 07, 2013
Mr Peacock should just mind his own business. The destiny of my people is not his to chose. This problem no longer concerns him.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by igbeke: 4:44pm On Oct 07, 2013
Wsdm:
If all the allocations through NDDC, MINISTRY OF NIGER DELTA, AMNESTY MONEY,13% derivation, lopsided ministerial appointees, official oil theft, and the president from that region have not transformed you to even Togo, let us see how you will be transformed to Ghana at the long run.
Tell us what you truly want. Is it separation or Jonathan's misrule beyond 2015. It is as if you people are talking of separation only when Jonathan is most likely going home by 2015. Are you trying to use one burner to cook two pots at thesame time?
The high commissioner has just spoken his own feelings, say your own without insulting him.
hey guy, take it easy on him.
He just made clear what he wants without insulting anyone.Dont let the fear of what the future holds overcloud ur sense of reasoning.

If u are dat desperate to see Nigeria remain as one, like some pple in some quaters; You can work it out with ur elders. Let dem show a high level sincerity to the entity called Nigeria. until den and only den, we are not gud together.

But sincerely, I see fear for the future embeded in ur post.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by igbeke: 4:45pm On Oct 07, 2013
Wsdm:
Tell us what you truly want. Is it separation or Jonathan's misrule beyond 2015. It is as if you people are talking of separation only when Jonathan is most likely going home by 2015. Are you trying to use one burner to cook two pots at thesame time?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by LordGhandalf(m): 5:38pm On Oct 07, 2013
dBard: The man is on point.
Nigeria will not ve bin where it is today..a force within Africa n d world if not f d blessing of d amalgamation..n no single region in dis country will b able t achieve that alone.
Its time we start celebrating our diversity n focus on how we can bring our individual strengths t bear on d collective progress of dis Great country.

I Love My Country Nigeria

Bombastic element. Even if we have continued as regions, we would have grown more than this, cos there will be competition between each region, not to mention when each is on its own. Why was the East not allowed to secede and be on their own That was exactly the reason everyone was forced into a marriage with all these camel fuckers.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Napoleondegreat: 6:35pm On Oct 07, 2013
The man should go and sit down
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by MayorofLagos(m): 6:55pm On Oct 07, 2013
Andrew Peacock should go and leave in Maiduguri for 6months and come back to restate his view on amalgamation. Until then his caution is of no weight.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Katsumoto: 7:21pm On Oct 07, 2013
If Scotland, which was joined to England by Act of Union in 1707, can contemplate being removed from the United Kingdom and forming its own nation, why can't the various groups that make up Nigeria?
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Katsumoto: 7:22pm On Oct 07, 2013
ndu_chucks: The cold fact is that this breakup wish of the elite NLer who are opportuned to have internet access, is shared by a minute minority of Nigerians.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ndu_chuks trying to use fear to keep Nigeria as one.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 07, 2013
The man should watch his mouth oo, before some angry fellow will use him to settle the scores they have with Lord Luggard.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by Nobody: 8:30pm On Oct 07, 2013
This coming Sovereign Nation Conference, which will be called Sovereign Ethnic Nationalities conference, all ethnic group will be represented by 3 to 4 persons, states and population of any ethnic group will not be represented. We will open by analysing the 100yrs union, problems, prospects and possibility of moving forward. Then there will be a vote on whether to continue as a country or secede. At the end of the vote, if secession is what majority of the ethnic nationalities desire, then so be it.

Peacefully like Soviet Union and Sudan.

Niger Delta Republic will join NATO, become super ally of USA, China, Britain, Russia, North Korean and South Africa, Brazil and India.

As for me, its either 60% Resource Control or Secession.

1 Like

Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by AndreUweh(m): 8:43pm On Oct 07, 2013
No chance of Nigeria breaking up. It will not happen. We have got Nigeria and we have to deal with it.
Re: British Envoy Defends Amalgamation, Cautions Against Break-up by seanet02: 8:55pm On Oct 07, 2013

Oga Ade, Yoruba people are tired of living in the same country with your blood sucking brothers called Hausas

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Two Dead As 'boko Haram' Attacks School In U S (photos) / List Of Those Who Should Not Be Allowed To Join APC / Ebonyi Newly Appointed Commissioners,portfolios And Their LGA Of Origin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.