Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,007 members, 7,838,526 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:34 AM

ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan (658 Views)

Tam David-West Tells Jonathan "Look For Shoes Quickly And Go Back To Otuoke” / PHCN Strike: Is There Light In Your Area? / Phcn On Partial Strike? Is Your Area In Darkness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by osytex: 5:01am On Oct 10, 2013
NIGERIA Labour Congress,NLC, yesterday,
called on President Goodluck Jonathan to
discountenance the impression that ongoing
strike by the Academic Staff Union of
Universities, ASUU, was a political action
against his government as nothing could be
farther from the truth. It then advised the
President to tackle the crises in the education
sector and prevent a shut-down of the sector.
NLC in a statement by its President,
Abdulwaheed Omar, told President Jonathan
that those telling him that the strike was
politically motivated were the President’s
enemies who rather than tell him the truth
preferred to indulge in sycophancy, hypocrisy
and boot-licking.
The statement titled “Do Not Allow Education
Sector to Shut-Down”, reads: “The Nigeria
Labour Congress calls on President Goodluck
Ebele Jonathan to tackle the crises in the
education sector and prevent shut-down of the
sector. We urge Mr. President to muster the
necessary will and skill to confront the issues
that threaten this vital sector.
“As President of the country, he has the
onerous task of restoring normalcy to the
sector whether the issues are political as he has
made the nation to believe or whether they are
purely industrial. The threat of a total shut-
down is present and immediate and deserves
all the urgency and mobilization Mr President
could muster. The developments in the
Education sector are symptomatic of greater ills
in the polity.”
“The strike by the Academic Staff Union of
Universities (ASUU), for instance is in its fourth
month and has almost certainly disrupted an
entire academic session with collateral
consequences. Also the Nigeria Union of
Teachers (NUT) has signaled its readiness to
embark on a solidarity strike if government
fails to resolve within two weeks the issues of
contestation with ASUU. Most of these demands
if not all, are not new, but are subsisting
agreements which government is expected to
honour. Some of these agreements border on
salaries which government has agreed to pay
but has elected to observe in the breach
instead. For example the case with the Senior
Staff Association of the Nigerian Universities,
whose members are being owed for over three
months.”
According to the statement “The avoidable
strike action by ASUU has caused enough
disruption or damage to the sector. The
implications for the polity are grave and should
be avoided, at least for the sake of our children.
We also urge Mr President to discountenance
the impression that the strike actions against
his government are politically-motivated as
nothing could be farther from the truth. Those
who pursue this line of thinking are the ones
who do not wish Mr President well. Rather than
tell him the truth, they prefer to indulge in
sycophancy, hypocrisy and boot-licking because
it serves their personal motives.
“In order for Mr President to convince himself
about the absence of any ulterior motive
against his administration by any of the unions,
especially ASUU which has come under
accusation, we crave the indulgence of Mr
President to insist on being availed the details
of these agreements.
The Nigeria Labour Congress is not oblivious of
the present challenges in the economy but it is
convinced that with requisite discipline, will,
prioritisation and genuine dialogue, the
government can reach a truce not just with the
unions but could halt the decline in the
economy.”
Source: vanguardngr.com
Re: ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by Nobody: 5:15am On Oct 10, 2013
All I'm interested in is, when are those silly and selfish ediots going back to classroom? Btw, who made NLC an adocate and who says they are not political too. Imagine talking as if the labour union is full of saints. Nonnsense undecided

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by Licensed2Kill(m): 7:03am On Oct 10, 2013
Nope, we know. . .its abt d money. . .if ever in doubt? Follow d money.
Re: ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by 99100(m): 7:10am On Oct 10, 2013
Shatap! U he-goat.
U connive with this selfish,greedy bunch so called ASUU to make a useless of Nigeria's education sector.
After all d govt effort to appease ASUU they still insist on continuing with this annoying strike.
ASUU want to make a usuelless of the govt.But No they cant because it is the peoples govt and we know better.
A friend of mine went to d registrar of a particular prestigious federal polytechnic within d week.On the course of their discussion they raised d issue of ASUP and ASUP strike.My friend told me that to his surprise d registrar isn't in support of d strike.That d registrar was angry stressing that ASUP and ASUP weren't just and realistic in thier demand especially when d govt has agreed to meet a sum of d organisation demands.The registrar told him that most of d staffs receives more than #200k when their mates are outside and still searching for job.
When d friend of mine went further to ask d honest registrar on why d institution is also joining d strike, d latter told d former that have no option(which i stand to disagree) rather than to join d strike since they are part of ASUP.#true story#

From on-set i'v had no sympathy for ASUU and ASUP especially d former.
Re: ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by kelvOdanz(m): 7:12am On Oct 10, 2013
NLC should go on a solidarity strike action jare...That should jolt tht dumb ass into action
Re: ASUU Strike Is Not Political, NLC Tells Jonathan by osytex: 7:45am On Oct 10, 2013
99/100:
Shatap! U he-goat.
U connive with this selfish,greedy bunch so called ASUU to make a useless of Nigeria's education sector.
After all d govt effort to appease ASUU they still insist on continuing with this annoying strike.
ASUU want to make a usuelless of the govt.But No they cant because it is the peoples govt and we know better.
A friend of mine went to d registrar of a particular prestigious federal polytechnic within d week.On the course of their discussion they raised d issue of ASUP and ASUP strike.My friend told me that to his surprise d registrar isn't in support of d strike.That d registrar was angry stressing that ASUP and ASUP weren't just and realistic in thier demand especially when d govt has agreed to meet a sum of d organisation demands.The registrar told him that most of d staffs receives more than #200k when their mates are outside and still searching for job.
When d friend of mine went further to ask d honest registrar on why d institution is also joining d strike, d latter told d former that have no option(which i stand to disagree) rather than to join d strike since they are part of ASUP.#true story#

From on-set i'v had no sympathy for ASUU and ASUP especially d former.
. Hehehehe, calm down bro

(1) (Reply)

What Would Have Been The State Of Nigeria If Mko Abiola Had Ruled As President / Asiwaju Thievenubu Cum Apc / 100 Million Nigerians Live In Destitution – World Bank

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.