Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:43 AM

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank (21625 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 3:14pm On Oct 10, 2013
Salam'alaekum my fellow Muslim brothers and sisters. Can a Muslim work in bank. I know that benefiting from interest is haram.

I checked online sources as it was pinpointed that working in bank is haram. Although, some other website said one can work there as the interest God is talking of is not related to banking.

I also asked one of my Alfa and he said it isnt ok to work in bank that i should try to avoid but said one can work there based on one"s intention. One of which is that you are working to gain and learn experience so that u will add value to Islamic banking. Non-muslims are working in Islamic banks as they are more qualified and experienced. He also said if one is unemployed, one can go there for the time being but continue to search for other ones and leave even if the salary is lesser. He must go there with dat intention and constantly seek forgiveness.

I am kind of confused o. I av a very big decision to make. Just got a job offer in a bank having applied two years ago when seriously job searching then but was not even aware it is a commercial bank (Interest-seeking) cos de didnt mention the name. I had even forgotten but to my dismay, i got an offer letter. I av been so perplexed. Some advise me to go to training school to learn and withdraw but ethically I think it is bad. But is it wrong based on my intention of not wanting to work in a place that promote interest?

I resigned from my previous job to pursue a full-time Masters degree currently. This ASSU strike is not even helping matters at all.

Technically, I am now unemployed. My previous job salary was very small. As a man, who intends getting married soonest and catering for expenses, I av to move on for better opportunity. I cant allow my wife-to-be suffer wink.

This bank offer salary is mesmerizing tongue. It is only few multinational companies that can pay it. Should I take it and risk sins upon sins as usury was mentioned quite upon numbers in the Holy Quran. Or is halal due to my circumstance and accept d offer den b a real man, marry and cater for my expenses in dis dunya and d deen. Working in d bank could also affect my Masters as there is two years bondage if I leave or risk paying two million naira. I heard ASSU strike could b on till next year.

It is hard staying at home with nothing to do. There are no job opportunities as before. I have tried other options in getting but to no avail

Please advise notably based on Islamic point of view. I have five days to decide. D decision I take could determine my future. U can also send me a mail to "dmainman@yahoo.com" for islamic resources concerning working in a bank.

Jazakhallahukhairan as I anticipate ur contribution.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 10, 2013
You had better take up the job bacause a man that can not cater for his home is worse than an infidel. undecided
From a non-Islamic point of view.

Don't take the job, oh, since your religion forbids interest.
Allah will provide for his faithful servants. wink
From an Islamic point of view.

8 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by jaybee3(m): 3:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
If your faith and values are going to be compromised then why bother?

You can always work for Islamic banks if readily available
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 10, 2013
jay bee: If your faith and values are going to be compromised then why bother?

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.
When the desirable is not available...
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tpia5: 3:55pm On Oct 10, 2013
if your conscience wont allow you, then dont do it.

look for another job, dont just focus on the money if money is not your primary motivation when seeking employment.

why would you want a job which would conflict with your personal values.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 4:00pm On Oct 10, 2013
OP, there is no serious Muslim that will say that working in a convential bank is halal (pure) in Islam.

You can refer to these:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=349&CATE=43

http://www.muftisays.com/qa/question/2775/working-for-an-islamic-banking-section-on-commercial-bank.html

Ultimately, the decision is yours.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 4:18pm On Oct 10, 2013
[size=5pt]@Op, I am not a scholar. I am only speaking my thoughts. please just read this as me thinking aloud and nothing more.
[/size]
I have also heard from both sides of the argument and only want to apply them in your case.

To start with, You mentioned intention. what is your own intention? It seems like the good pay is a factor and that ASUU is on strike and you have plenty of time. Your intention seems to conflict with the intention you stated as permissible. i.e to gain experience. However, you can always change your intention to a more acceptable one.

Do you have any source of income?
Another reason that I have heard for the permissibility is if there is no other source of income(note that I can not confirm that this is scholarly). The proof for this is when haram is permissible until halal is found.
But immediately you find an halal source, you have to leave the job but your two years bondage does not fit into that.

Something else is, many of us have accounts in these banks. We keep our money there in anticipation of when Islamic or non interest banking would take effect. We do this because we have no choice yet but immediately the choice is available, we must make the necessary change. Now would it be wrong for a Muslim to benefit from our collective wealth?

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 4:21pm On Oct 10, 2013
[quote author=maclatunji]OP, there is no serious Muslim that will say that working in a convential bank is halal (pure) in Islam.

You can refer to these:

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=349&CATE=43

http://www.muftisays.com/qa/question/2775/working-for-an-islamic-banking-section-on-commercial-bank.html

Ultimately, the decision is yours.[/quote

Thanks
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 4:22pm On Oct 10, 2013
jay bee: If your faith and values are going to be compromised then why bother?

The only Islamic bank is al Jaiz and it is a regional bank that operates in Northern Nigeria only.

Stanbic IBTC allows a non interest saving account but over all is still like every other of the conventional banks.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by ummsulaym(f): 4:23pm On Oct 10, 2013
Allah S.W.T declared war against anyone involved with the issue of usury/riba and the Prophet S.A.W cursed them... Why not see it as a test from Allah S.W.T and try not to fail it?... Sincerely it's not easy and I pray that may Allah provide you with a better Job... It's not the amount that often matters but the barka...

Indeed, this world is like hell for the believers!

5 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 5:12pm On Oct 10, 2013
Another question:

Should a person work for an international 'bank' like the World Bank if the roles are not directly related with loans or riba. Can they work as policy advisers to world governments or as engineers etc?

It is difficult choice to make particularly after seeing the pay but what Allah has is better.

Very few major organizations are not involved in Riba, Even 'muslim' governments are neck-deep. So how do you make the decision on what organization is halal? Because at the end of the day , many of the salaries are tainted with riba loans. A commercial bank is worse because it deals directly with Riba but they are all tainted.

Hazrat Abu Hurairah r.a. reported that the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him said : A time will certainly come over the people when none will remain who will not devour usury. If he does not devour it, its vapour will overtake him. [Ahmed,Abu Dawood,Nisai,Ibn Majah]

It is almost impossible to avoid.. The vapour is everywhere

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 5:15pm On Oct 10, 2013
tbaba1234: Another question:

Should a person work for an international 'bank' like the World Bank if the roles are not directly related with loans or riba. Can they work as policy advisers to world governments or as engineers etc?

It is difficult choice to make particularly after seeing the pay but what Allah has is better.

Very few major organizations are not involved in Riba, Even 'muslim' governments are neck-deep. So how do you make the decision on what organization is halal? Because at the end of the day , many of the salaries are tainted with riba loans. A commercial bank is worse because it deals directly with Riba but they are all tainted.

Hazrat Abu Hurairah r.a. reported that the Prophet peace and blessings be upon him said : A time will certainly come over the people when none will remain who will not devour usury. If he does not devour it, its vapour will overtake him. [Ahmed,Abu Dawood,Nisai,Ibn Majah]

Are you trying to help or confuse OP?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by deols(f): 5:40pm On Oct 10, 2013
tbaba1234: Another question:

It is a very complicated issue. People who work in government have almost all of their benefits tied to some form of bank credit or the other.

I used to keep tab of how much I earn in interest from my savings account. But I later realised that it becomes a compound interest and I may never be able to know exactly how much. My plan is to leave the estimate in the bank when I finally find a way out of using such a banking scheme.

Many have lost count and can not help it. But when we can, we should do our best to avoid it.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 6:16pm On Oct 10, 2013
maclatunji:

Are you trying to help or confuse OP?

'confuse? It could be complicated. A commercial bank is pretty clear but there are more complicated scenarios.

I am facing a similar scenario actually. An international organization involved in funding developmental activities in the developing world. I applied for an engineering role but they changed it to a much higher position because they felt i was better qualified for that. Anyway, it becomes confusing because even though their mandate is developmental (it is not commercial), it definitely involves riba money somehow.

The much higher position means i have much more responsibility because i am supposed to provide leadership. That is why i asked the question: So how do you make the decision on what organization is halal?

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Sissie(f): 6:34pm On Oct 10, 2013
Salam Alaikum,
Working in a commercial bank is haram.

CBN as a governing body also indirectly deals with interest, and I know learned people who are of the opinion working there is haram.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Sissie(f): 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
tbaba1234:

'confuse? It could be complicated. A commercial bank is pretty clear but there are more complicated scenarios.

I am facing a similar scenario actually. An international organization involved in funding developmental activities in the developing world. I applied for an engineering role but they changed it to a much higher position because they felt i was better qualified for that. Anyway, it becomes confusing because even though their mandate is developmental (it is not commercial), it definitely involves riba money somehow.

The much higher position means i have much more responsibility because i am supposed to provide leadership. That is why i asked the question: So how do you make the decision on what organization is halal?

Before we determine if an organization is halal or not.
How does it make its money/profit? Your salary is being paid from where?
What is your job description if the company is not directly involved in interest?

Let me state 2 scenarios, a plumber is called to fix electricity at a bar and he says he's just fixing the bulb, forgetting he's been paid from the money made from selling alcohol. This is clearly haram money.

2nd scenario he is called to fix the electricity in a building, in that building their are different shops owned by the same person and 1 of the shops sell alcohol, if he fixes it, is it haram?

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
Sissie: Salam Alaikum,
Working in a commercial bank is haram.

CBN as a governing body also indirectly deals with interest, and I know learned people who are of the opinion working there is haram.

Wa aleikum Salam,

True, commercial banks are probably the clearest case.

The lines could be quite fuzzy. It is difficult to find an organization that does not deal with riba directly or indirectly if you look critically. What then becomes the criteria for making the distinction?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Sissie(f): 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
We have to be careful about our source of income,

Allah is at war with people who consume interest. Surah 2:275-279

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2013
Sissie: We have to be careful about our source of income,

Allah is at war with people who consume interest. Surah 2:275-279

May Allah help us.

@tbaba, it is your choice to make.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tbaba1234: 9:07pm On Oct 10, 2013
deleted
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by tpia5: 9:43pm On Oct 10, 2013
if you feel uncomfortable with what you shared, why not just delete it.

personally, imo, if a job will require too much soul searching on my part, i wouldnt take it.

i could be wrong since it might depend on how much i need the renumerance, however, unless i'm sure i can cope with whatever comes with the job, chances are i'd stick with what i think would work for me.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:35pm On Oct 10, 2013
tpia@:

just because someone [possibly a mischievious nler] opened a thread about something that doesnt necessarily concern anybody, why did a simple thread over ambiguous matters ruin your day?

Guy, mind d way u address people and stop derailing this thread. Do u think I am joking here ni.

Dis is an important issue dat will affect my future.

If u want proof, sorry I cant give u my offer letter as it is personal.

However, go to dis link when I got the bank medicals invite:

https://www.nairaland.com/1412560/union-bank-calling-medicals#17685738

Go to this link when we finally got our offer letter having passed the medicals:

https://www.nairaland.com/878699/share-union-bank-aptitude-test/26

If u dont still beleive, simply go and hug a cute transformer.

Do u think everything should b toyed with. Nonsense

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:47pm On Oct 10, 2013
@ all, thanks for your comments, I appreciate. May Allah guide us aright. Amin.

@maclatunji and deols, please move to front page. I am having opposing views here. I need more people to comment.

But Alhamdullilah, before d tendency of me accepting d offer was 40% but now it has gone down to 35% all thanks to your contribution.

However, I still need more comments. I need to make informed decision.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:49pm On Oct 10, 2013
Chiamaka01: You had better take up the job bacause a man that can not cater for his home is worse than an infidel. undecided
From a non-Islamic point of view.

Don't take the job, oh, since your religion forbids interest.
Allah will provide for his faithful servants. wink
From an Islamic point of view.

Thanks. Nyc 1
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 10:54pm On Oct 10, 2013
@tbaba, deols, ummsulaym, vedaxcool, sissie and many more, thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nairalander At Arafat ( Hajj) With His Dad. / The Woman Is Married For Four Reasons / China Bans Ramadan Fasting In Xinjiang

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.