Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:11 PM

Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank (21645 Views)

20 Signs Of Weak Iman (Faith) in a Muslim / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? / She's A Christian,am A Muslim. Can This Marriage Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 11:13am On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=DMainMan]@tbaba, deols, ummsulay[quote author=DMainMan]@ all, thanks for your comments, I appreciate. May Allah guide us aright. Amin.

@maclatunji and deols, please move to front page. I am having opposing views here. I need more people to comment.

But Alhamdullilah, before d tendency of me accepting d offer was 40% but now it has gone down to 35% all thanks to your contribution.

However, I still need more comments. I need to make informed decision.

D Main Man. Do not even think about taking up the job.it is haram. Allah sustains all his creatures,whether employed or unemployed.Your spouse , if she is on level of islamic consciousness,should discourage you from taking the job. Let me share a personal story.

I took up a job in a bank after waiting two and half years at home.I was aware that the job is haram,but any time i read the Quran where usury is mentioned,i feel extremely sad and depressed. To cut my story short, i met my wife six months later and she told me that i had to quit my bank job immediately after the wedding..which i did and Alhamdullilah,even things are not so rosy,my mind is at peace.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 11:16am On Oct 11, 2013
Originalsly: What is different in an Islamic Bank?....Are they not operating on interest too?

No they don't. Study and don't just assume.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by drdams: 11:20am On Oct 11, 2013
Infact, Lamido is a chieftain in Kano.
Former Societale Generale Bank was owned by the Sarakis, it is nw Heritage Bank and still Co-owned by them.

Bolaji Agbede , Head HR of Access Bank is nt excluded. Mayb she shud go n read her Quoran cos shes responsible for this 1mil, 2mil, 3mil target given as a pre requisite for employment.
soj-naija:
Mallam Lamido Sanusi and many other "muslims" were once staff of FIRST BANK OF NIGERIA..
Folawiyo and many other baba-Adinni's of Nigeria are shareholders of Commercial banks.
Platinum-Habib bank was co-owned by muslim families...
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by olasesi(m): 11:21am On Oct 11, 2013
Yes of course.......in this "perceivably different" situation of ours in Nigeria....
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by MackDealer: 11:22am On Oct 11, 2013
I am a Christian...so I just need some enlightenment here...when we say the Quran instructed us to stay away from usury, is there a context to this? And here is what I mean by this....if a widow comes to me for loan to feed her family vs dangote comes to me for a loan to build another cement factory....should I consider them both the same and just give the money without charging interest?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by maclatunji: 11:24am On Oct 11, 2013
MackDealer: I am a Christian...so I just need some enlightenment here...when we say the Quran instructed us to stay away from usury, is there a context to this? A[b]nd here is what I mean by this....if a widow comes to me for loan to feed her family vs dangote comes to me for a loan to build another cement factory....should I consider them both the same and just give the money without charging interest?[/b]

Yup!
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 11:26am On Oct 11, 2013
@abusumaya. Tks I wont join. Will manage d little business i am doing now and hope for d best.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 11:28am On Oct 11, 2013
MackDealer: I am a Christian...so I just need some enlightenment here...when we say the Quran instructed us to stay away from usury, is there a context to this? And here is what I mean by this....if a widow comes to me for loan to feed her family vs dangote comes to me for a loan to build another cement factory....should I consider them both the same and just give the money without charging interest?
u can enter into a profit and loss sharing deal with dangote or better still do not charge interest on the amount you are lending.however,for the widow,it is better if you gave her and not lend her,talk less of charging interest...the bible also forbids interest.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Khodry(m): 11:40am On Oct 11, 2013
Built2last: I intend to write an article in the nearest future titled "The hypocrisy of Islam" here's why. If you travel up north they preach sharia by mouth but their actions are contrary. They ban alcohol and forbid anywhere it is sold but nobody drinks it like them.

On a larger scale, Nigeria is a secular state with companies like Nigerian breweries producing Star, Gulder etc. BAT, British American Tobacco. All these companies pay their tax to the federal purse and in turn the fed govt disburse the fund to all states. If Liquor or tobacco is banned up north in the name of sharia. why does your state governmnets collect money from the federal purse. are they claiming ignorance of the fact that Liquor and tobacco is one of the highest tax paying sectors of our economy and this money is shared to their states. Here they are again advicing a jobless fellow to ignore opportunities in the name of religion.

Hello pls don't bring up such,come 2 tink of it 'is it hypocrisy of islam or d pple?' islam is an entity n d muslims or d pple are another.Islam frankly go against or preach against dose vices.But in our world 2da as we hv it in oda religion as well, many only hear n read d world in quote'holy books' but few act on it or take it as a way of lyf as islam preaches............Even d evil n harm caused by those vices is enough 4 sensible fellow 2 stay away from them.Though we may stil fall victim indirecty as u rightly mention; gov generate some of it revenue thru it etc,but dose clear cases lets avoid it.
'In dis our present world it not easy sha o'May GOD guide us aright!

2 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Khodry(m): 11:43am On Oct 11, 2013
Built2last: I intend to write an article in the nearest future titled "The hypocrisy of Islam" here's why. If you travel up north they preach sharia by mouth but their actions are contrary. They ban alcohol and forbid anywhere it is sold but nobody drinks it like them.

On a larger scale, Nigeria is a secular state with companies like Nigerian breweries producing Star, Gulder etc. BAT, British American Tobacco. All these companies pay their tax to the federal purse and in turn the fed govt disburse the fund to all states. If Liquor or tobacco is banned up north in the name of sharia. why does your state governmnets collect money from the federal purse. are they claiming ignorance of the fact that Liquor and tobacco is one of the highest tax paying sectors of our economy and this money is shared to their states. Here they are again advicing a jobless fellow to ignore opportunities in the name of religion.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 11:50am On Oct 11, 2013
[quote author=Khodry][/quote]

An advice for u..pls change the titleof your book to hypocrisy of some muslims and not hypocrisy of islam

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by TayoT: 11:52am On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan: Salam'alaekum my fellow Muslim brothers and sisters. Can a Muslim work in bank. I know that benefiting from interest is haram.

I checked online sources as it was pinpointed that working in bank is haram. Although, some other website said one can work there as the interest God is talking of is not related to banking.

I also asked one of my Alfa and he said it isnt ok to work in bank that i should try to avoid but said one can work there based on one"s intention. One of which is that you are working to gain and learn experience so that u will add value to Islamic banking. Non-muslims are working in Islamic banks as they are more qualified and experienced. He also said if one is unemployed, one can go there for the time being but continue to search for other ones and leave even if the salary is lesser. He must go there with dat intention and constantly seek forgiveness.

I am kind of confused o. I av a very big decision to make. Just got a job offer in a bank having applied two years ago when seriously job searching then but was not even aware it is a commercial bank (Interest-seeking) cos de didnt mention the name. I had even forgotten but to my dismay, i got an offer letter. I av been so perplexed. Some advise me to go to training school to learn and withdraw but ethically I think it is bad. But is it wrong based on my intention of not wanting to work in a place that promote interest?

I resigned from my previous job to pursue a full-time Masters degree currently. This ASSU strike is not even helping matters at all.

Technically, I am now unemployed. My previous job salary was very small. As a man, who intends getting married soonest and catering for expenses, I av to move on for better opportunity. I cant allow my wife-to-be suffer wink.

This bank offer salary is mesmerizing tongue. It is only few multinational companies that can pay it. Should I take it and risk sins upon sins as usury was mentioned quite upon numbers in the Holy Quran. Or is halal due to my circumstance and accept d offer den b a real man, marry and cater for my expenses in dis dunya and d deen. Working in d bank could also affect my Masters as there is two years bondage if I leave or risk paying two million naira. I heard ASSU strike could b on till next year.

It is hard staying at home with nothing to do. There are no job opportunities as before. I have tried other options in getting but to no avail

Please advise notably based on Islamic point of view. I have five days to decide. D decision I take could determine my future. U can also send me a mail to "dmainman@yahoo.com" for islamic resources concerning working in a bank.

Jazakhallahukhairan as I anticipate ur contribution.

Bro, I like what you are doing right now. I am xtian but my own understanding of religion is never to listen to what people say but what you understand. I'm sure, or better still, I hope you have studied and read the Quran to your thorough understanding before putting into cognizance what advice you get from people and even Imams.

But my own troubling question is;
Are all Muslims currently working in commercial banks on a Sinning spree?

Thanks
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 11:55am On Oct 11, 2013
TayoT:

Bro, I like what you are doing right now. I am xtian but my own understanding of religion is never to listen to what people say but what you understand. I'm sure, or better still, I hope you have studied and read the Quran to your thorough understanding before putting into cognizance what advice you get from people and even Imams.

But my own troubling question is;
Are all Muslims currently working in commercial banks on a Sinning spree?

Thanks

yes..xtian workers likewise
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by MackDealer: 11:58am On Oct 11, 2013
abusumaya:
u can enter into a profit and loss sharing deal with dangote or better still do not charge interest on the amount you are lending.however,for the widow,it is better if you gave her and not lend her,talk less of charging interest...the bible also forbids interest.

So again understand this not try to question ur faith or compare just want to know....so does the Quran highlight why I should not charge interest in a the dangote senerio? Because when I go through my bible it talk about not taking interest from the poor...but actually encourage charging interest in a business scenario.

Maybe to other faith this could be wrong...but am a believe of a saying in the bible that my people perish for lack of knowledge so I always want to know why I should or should not do something?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Boss13: 12:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
@OP I understand your plight having studied a little bit about Islamic Banking/finance. However, conventional banking is not all about charging interest too. You can be designated to a department that has nothing to do with issuing loans. I have so many muslim (hard core) friends in the banking sector and some are fantastic credit advisers. Honestly, you need to provide for yourself and for the family you intend to raise. I cannot convince you otherwise about your religion cos I know how dear it is to you. However, you need that job than you realize. Your masters can wait or you can take up a part-time masters programme.

Since you may not like the banking industry, have a goal (personal and financial goal) and work towards it. I believe the job will assist you to achieve that goal. For now you are idle and that is bad for the brain.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Ngwakwe: 12:15pm On Oct 11, 2013
You mean, no Sharia State should deal with CBN.

Sharia States are already paying Muslims with taxes collected from Commercial Banks and knowing fully well it's against their faith.

Should a good Muslim resign from State Government work?

Sissie: Salam Alaikum,
Working in a commercial bank is haram.

CBN as a governing body also indirectly deals with interest, and I know learned people who are of the opinion working there is haram.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Boss13: 12:20pm On Oct 11, 2013
DMainMan: @abusumaya. Tks I wont join. Will manage d little business i am doing now and hope for d best.

I nod my head in negation. Religion truly has an effect on people. I copied this somewhere and I don't know if it would help. I will not explain it anyways but if you do understand it then it is good for you.

"One day, one of his disciples came to the Lord Buddha and said, ‘Lord, whom shall I believe? One man tells me this and another that, and both seem sure they are right.’ The Lord Buddha replied, ‘My son, believe not that which any man saith, not even I, unless it appeals to your common sense. And even then do not believe it, but treat it as a reasonable hypothesis until you can prove it for yourself."
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 12:22pm On Oct 11, 2013
MackDealer:

So again understand this not try to question ur faith or compare just want to know....so does the Quran highlight why I should not charge interest in a the dangote senerio? Because when I go through my bible it talk about not taking interest from the poor...but actually encourage charging interest in a business scenario.

Maybe to other faith this could be wrong...but am a believe of a saying in the bible that my people perish for lack of knowledge so I always want to know why I should or should not do something?
The Quran is clear about it.it did not say u can charge interest to the rich and do nt charge the poor.let me shed light on this a bit.
in non interest financing,when you go into an equity financing of dangote biz where u have a profit and loss sharing ratio, which is ethical..which means ur money and labour are involved in the biz, unlike charging interest which means whether the borrower makes profit or loss, he still pays the principal plus interest which is unethical..it causes such borrower depression and may lead to suicide.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by abusumaya: 12:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13:

I nod my head in negation. Religion truly has an effect on people. I copied this somewhere and I don't know if it would help. I will not explain it anyways but if you do understand it then it is good for you.

"One day, one of his disciples came to the Lord Buddha and said, ‘Lord, whom shall I believe? One man tells me this and another that, and both seem sure they are right.’ The Lord Buddha replied, ‘My son, believe not that which any man saith, not even I, unless it appeals to your common sense. And even then do not believe it, but treat it as a reasonable hypothesis until you can prove it for yourself."

you are quoting buddha to a muslim?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by MackDealer: 12:35pm On Oct 11, 2013
abusumaya:
The Quran is clear about it.it did not say u can charge interest to the rich and do nt charge the poor.let me shed light on this a bit.
in non interest financing,when you go into an equity financing of dangote biz where u have a profit and loss sharing ratio, which is ethical..which means ur money and labour are involved in the biz, unlike charging interest which means whether the borrower makes profit or loss, he still pays the principal plus interest which is unethical..it causes such borrower depression and may lead to suicide.

Thanks for enlightment!
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Nobody: 12:48pm On Oct 11, 2013

Good point, can you imagine? They can't even see their hypocrisy even it slapped them on the face.

Op, what's the name of the bank so I can hook someone I know. I assume you're no longer interested in the job.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DMainMan: 12:49pm On Oct 11, 2013
Boss13: @OP I understand your plight having studied a little bit about Islamic Banking/finance. However, conventional banking is not all about charging interest too. You can be designated to a department that has nothing to do with issuing loans. I have so many muslim (hard core) friends in the banking sector and some are fantastic credit advisers. Honestly, you need to provide for yourself and for the family you intend to raise. I cannot convince you otherwise about your religion cos I know how dear it is to you. However, you need that job than you realize. Your masters can wait or you can take up a part-time masters programme.

Since you may not like the banking industry, have a goal (personal and financial goal) and work towards it. I believe the job will assist you to achieve that goal. For now you are idle and that is bad for the brain.

It isnt about where u ar posted to work in d bank. it is about receiving salary from a business dat Allah forbid.

It means I will b promoting and working for d company that promotes interest to b profitable making life uncomfortable for the customers..

It is haram to benefit from interest.

Thanks for your advice though.

1 Like

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Nobody: 12:50pm On Oct 11, 2013
Ngwakwe: You mean, no Sharia State should deal with CBN.

Sharia States are already paying Muslims with taxes collected from Commercial Banks and knowing fully well it's against their faith.

Should a good Muslim resign from State Government work?

Yes. grin
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by TayoT: 1:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
abusumaya:

yes..xtian workers likewise

But does xtianity preach against such? Can op shed more light on the issue?
People (xtians, Muslims, any any) do business to make profit. So is it just the borrowing for interest issue? Or making profit generally from a business venture eg. commercial banks

Another question:
How do Islamic banks make profit?
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by sultan04(m): 1:32pm On Oct 11, 2013
@DMainMan
Thanx for referin me to dis page. Jazaka'llah khair.
@others.... i also got dsame offer and i ve no intention of rejectin it unless i can find another option even with a lesser pay.
brothers..... innamal amalu biniyat. if u experience depressn u know exactly wat i mean... this offer is my first and only since 3 years of graduatn. i av a mother who single handedly raised me.... i av two other younger ones. i am 28 still single....jst to mention a few.
come to think of it... did prophect not ask some muslims 2 consume on haram food until dey were able to get haram?... and i guess we all av account with dis banks and dey give us interest.....nw are we guilty of d enviroment we found ourselves?
I am certainly taking dis for atleast 2years(cos of d bond) afterward i ll luk 4 something else wen its available.....
everybody shd remember dat Islam is a religion of peace and Allah is not cruel...
peace

3 Likes

Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by sultan04(m): 1:40pm On Oct 11, 2013
i meant to feed on haram food until dey got halal
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DrBaby(f): 2:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
Kei144: Jobs in interest-seeking banks are for Christians. Muslims keep off!

Why do muslims always think they are in constant war wt christians?...there r many oda religions bt u guys are so blinded that everyone who is nt muslim is termed christian?...any policy coming frm d west is christian even tho d people incharge no longer believe in any God at al...do u knw wat ppl do on Sundays in d west?...dey go to d parks, walk der dogs...etc
It is now forbidden to read bibles in schls or talk about God even at work..
Most of der young generations dont believe in God n d very few churches left r for black migrants majorly...yet u ppl see everytin dey do as representative of the church at large n u even launch reprisal attacks? I reallytire for una...and pls dont tell me abt muslims cos we r d only Christian in my entire family frm our ancestors till now...n d constant battle frm d family never stops...only God has bn faithful.
@OP, even d bible conderms usury but I think its at an individual level...its nt abt d proceeds being a sin but abt helping ur fellow brother if u av d means n nt laying extra burden (interests) on someone who is in need which is why he has come to borrow from you in d first place...shalom
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by DrBaby(f): 2:25pm On Oct 11, 2013
@OP, I cant advise u on this but il say be guided by ur heart and sincerity which is wat God is most concerned abt (atleast the Christian God dt I know).
As a christian, der somethings I wld neva do or advice my brothers to do...eg working in a tobacco company, alcohol producing companies etc, even as a doctor I can never partake in abortion (by Gods grace) except if der is threat to the mothers life in which I know I am trying to save a life n myt loose anoda one (d foetus) in d process. I do not knw aw strongly the quran feels abt interest banking but we knw al businesses survive on profit which shldnt leave the bank out. No matter wat u do, u r providing a service and u r bound to make profit which in every way stil puts extra burdens on the customers.
Mayb u guys can shed more light on Islamic banking and educate d public , mayb one day everyone wil like n b comfortable wt it and myt advocate its use in naija even if its gonna b called 'non-interest' banking.
The Bible forbids interest on loan in the light of someone In need (my own understandn o) but I cannot imagine dangote takin a bank loan n doesnt pay interest wen he is gonna use it for his business and make profit from it...dt wont b fair on the man whose job is to make money available for ppl wen dey need it (providin services) and I bet most ppl who approach banks for loans use it for der business...am yet to see a man who goes to borrow frm d bank for his daily bread.
Pls educate us otherwise dis policy myt actually b one of dos specific to dos times wen money was nt d major means of exchange n ppl borrow/take loans for specific reasons.
Thank u
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Allenkee: 2:28pm On Oct 11, 2013
Chiamaka01:

If wishes were horses then beggars would ride.
When the desirable is not available...

The available becomes the desire.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by Allenkee: 2:45pm On Oct 11, 2013
What is wrong in INTEREST?
You need money urgently for something but you don't have the money, you seek help from a friend that has such amount of money but he said you would pay an additional amount plus the principal at the end of the aggreed period.
Tell me, what is wrong in that?
He owns the money and can deal with it the way he likes.

Interest is also a soul of business. If you don't want intetest, then stay away from business.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by egbaran(m): 2:47pm On Oct 11, 2013
I think islam is against such coz i av seen an example of a footballer dat had isusses wit is club b'coz of d sponsorer were like kind of involve in a business dat involves interest.a newcastle footballer by name papi cisse bt 2 be honest u jst av 2 do d job if u really in need of a job.
Re: Can A Muslim Work In An Interest-seeking Bank by sultan04(m): 2:52pm On Oct 11, 2013
dear brothers and sister in islam.
if u want ur religion to be respectd, do nt attack other ppls religion..... u shd nt portray a negative view and stop mentionin any religion. i suggest everybody shd jst make his/her point base on islamic view..... if the Prophet describe us as best of Mankind, we ought to display dat and lead by example....
If others come here and attack u, simply say unto dem PEACE... has thought by our beloved Prophet

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Woman Is Married For Four Reasons / China Bans Ramadan Fasting In Xinjiang / 5 Things To Do On Laylatul Qadr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.