Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,080 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:57 AM

What's Next After POP(2) - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / What's Next After POP(2) (616 Views)

Going Back To My Parent's After POP / What Did You Do With Your NYSC kit After POP? / Things Corpers Should Do After POP. (2) (3) (4)

(1)

What's Next After POP(2) by reward23(m): 5:47am On Oct 11, 2013
Hi guys. How's it going? I talked about the process required to apply for jobs at the last post. I hope it was pretty clear and you guys have gone about doing just that? Well, this post is about preparation or preparing for the job. Its one thing to apply for jobs and its another to be ready/prepared when you get an invite for a job test/interview.
We all know the saying that "practice makes perfect" right? Trust me, its not overrated. The truth is that you should have spent your service year preparing for this but let's be honest here,most didn't. Let me cut straight to the chase. At camp, some guys must have lectured y'all about this (unless you were sleeping during lectures) so I'll just focus on the specifics here. Most companies these days base their tests on GMAT. Sure you knew that already. So, the best way to prepare for such tests is to get a GMAT book and practice answering the questions there. You can only get better as you keep practicing. The key thing is to answer as many questions as possible correctly within a given time limit. So, get on with it if you haven't started already.
There's a saying that "everyone who reigns in public, trains in private". You have to be in form before you are given the platform. Yea, you can take that to the bank cos it sounded good. Bottomline is, Practice! Practice! Practice! GMAT is quite cheap these days anyways.
Now, that you've aced the test, you'll probably be invited for an interview. I can't cover everything here because various companies have varied means of conducting interviews. You can follow me on twitter @daviesreward or comment on the blog if you have questions and I'll try as much as I can to reply. Most companies conduct their interviews in stages. So, you've definitely gotta be well prepared to scale through. I won't bore you here with dress codes, etiquettes, and what nots because I know you know that already. Basically, its about getting grounded about the company. You don't expect a company to employ someone who's clueless or doesn't show enough interest about the company. Thank goodness for the internet. You could google the company,visit their website and get updated. Paramount interest should be placed on the company's vision,mission statement and core values. Most times I wonder what we use our phones for. I met a guy who's of the opinion that "if you have a smartphone,and that smartphone can't renew its subscription or buy itself, then, you should be slapped". I totally agree. Topic for another day though. Job forums and the likes can also help with information about different companies. Just subscribe and join the forum, simple.
So, don't just read this blog and marvel at my awesomeness (yea right). Get to work! Start practicing! Like my mentor (@iamsteveharris) always says, "Its not what you don't have that limits you, its what you have but don't know how to use".
#thinkonthis
Re: What's Next After POP(2) by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 11, 2013

(1)

89% Corps Members Can’t Write Good Application, Lack Communication Skills —NYSC / Describe Your Service Year In Just A Sentence! / NYSC Batch C Online Regitration Is On.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.