Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,356 members, 7,829,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm (4578 Views)

Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? / 20 Incredibly Simple Words That Most People Spell Wrongly! / The Erroneous Use Of "Am" instead of "I'm" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm by Patdedon(m): 4:02pm On Oct 11, 2013
I've seen many people use this word in sentences like "am sorry", "am coming" . . etc. I think it is as a result of too much use of abbreviation when chatting on social networks.

I even see people using it in writings that are intended to be formal. I know people make mistakes when writing but in the case of this word, it is becoming outrageous and I think it needs to be addressed.

What are your thoughts?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm by DesChyko1(m): 4:41pm On Oct 11, 2013
People say am instead of I am because the short form, I'm sounds like am, so they transfer the spelling to the more familiar 'am'. Social network has little to do with it. The language is still under metamorphosis in Nigeria, that's why we get these common errors. If you remember, in our younger years, we do say 'What's strong with you?' insteas of 'What's wrong with you?'. You can't hear this spoken by kids of these days. We're getting better.
Re: Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm by Lovetinz(m): 5:11pm On Oct 11, 2013
^^ Kids don't ask whats wrong with you any longer.
They prefer the more effective 'I will slap you!'
Re: Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm by moruphb: 6:18pm On Oct 11, 2013
Am coming... grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Most People Like Using 'am' Instead Of I'm by Patdedon(m): 9:07pm On Nov 20, 2013
moruphb: Am coming... grin grin grin

Lol, that's more like it

(1) (Reply)

See What One Starlink Can Do / Unizik Post Ume Results Released / Nairaland Rankings Of Nigerian Universities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.