Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,108 members, 7,828,910 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:58 PM

Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? (1000 Views)

Ways An Engine Shorts Oil? / What Three Things Does An Engine Need To Run? / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by chris4gold(m): 10:38am On Oct 12, 2013
I urgently need your advice on this issue, I have a perfect working bmw with an abandoned maxima gle with brain box issue, but somebody told me about a week ago that we can run another Camry engine with gear in that maxima and it will be as good as new, currently I don't have the money to buy the engine, I persuaded my wife to let us sell that bmw to fix up the maxima. Though I would have sold that maxima with that condition but the value of which they want to buy it is discouraging, some even said 70k for a car I bought 1.2m that one of the reason I decided to get rid of this working bmw to fix the abandoned car. please advice me, what would you do if you find yourselves in my shoe? Thanks in anticipations
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by Nobody: 11:20am On Oct 12, 2013
Dont do it.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by elektra80: 11:29am On Oct 12, 2013
Very risky move. My advice... Don't do it. Continue using the BMW until u can find the right ecu for the maxima
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by Nobody: 11:35am On Oct 12, 2013
elektra80: Very risky move. My advice... Don't do it. Continue using the BMW until u can find the right ecu for the maxima

The best advise here.

Though from what I understand in your post, you've already sold the BMW. Is this the case? Because if you have, I would strongly advice you get the Nissan Maxima working as it should, without converting (downgrading) to a Toyota Camry engine and transmission. This will definitely cost more than buying the correct Nissan Maxima ECU (assuming the ECU is actually the culprit here).
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by chris4gold(m): 12:10pm On Oct 12, 2013
Am yet to sell the bmw, just that I have added it to some website for sale.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by wwwkaycom(m): 1:04pm On Oct 12, 2013
chris4gold: Am yet to sell the bmw, just that I have added it to some website for sale.
Good, just refrain from selling the BMW, continue to use it because fixing a camry engine in a maxima is not just going to 9work. I am not a mechanic but with all I have learnt on cartalk section, I know its not going to work. If you sell the active BMW, its just a matter if days before you come calling on Siena, Ikenna, Car-doctor etc to help you urgently because of a swap that went wrong, dont do it my brother, look for money elsewhere to fix the maxima, cheers!
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by roosebolton: 4:49pm On Oct 12, 2013
What ur mechanic suggested to u is a route down a bottomless pit.. U will never see the end of it as money upon money would be requested to fix different complications that would raise from such conversation. In the end you would have been better off if u had raised money to fix the maxima because the fund from the BMW would have been exhausted without meaningful result. Don't listen to the glib tongue of your mechanic oo they can be so convincing before money touches their hand. Just hold back and seek a second opinion from another mechanic even if u have to buy an ECU from abroad it might be worth it.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by sultaan(m): 11:17pm On Oct 12, 2013
We will change this thread to how you are going to diagnose the maxims and fix it yourself if you are willing yo start this as a project people are here to help for free.you won't hang to buy anything unless you want to.first you have to list everything that has been fond to the maxima
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by Nobody: 12:45am On Oct 13, 2013
I advise you run as far as you can from the mechanic. Secondlty as @sultaan said what is really wrong with the car and get help to fix it. If ur mechanic can give you such a shitty advise the ECU might not be the problem just saying.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by ziccoit: 1:39am On Oct 13, 2013
That mechanic of yours want to make you carless and kind of your life miserable. Because those are going to be the case if you follow his crooked way of reasoning. Please don't allow him. Fix your maxima as it is.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by chris4gold(m): 8:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Appreciated! A big thanks to you all.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by rahmathassan(m): 3:58pm On Oct 15, 2013
This plan is a dangerous one,
My colleague made similar disastrous mistake last year...and for the past 5-7 months now he has been climbing "Okada" to office..
He has a sound rovers 626 and a dead golf 4 or 5, he was advised by a mechanic to sell the life rovers to buy a half engine for the golf.. And up till now the golf is either over heating, gasket problems, engine vibration e.tc. Now the buyer of his rovers is busy enjoying the baby without stress.....finaly don't sell life vehicles to repair dead one....tnx.
Re: Is It Advisable To Sell Working Car To Buy An Engine To Faulty Car? by Nobody: 11:25pm On Oct 15, 2013
Same problem here! About selling a benz 4 a bluebird engine nd workz.. Wish Nigeria is developed 2 d point of most young ones still in school, not being dat dependent!

(1) (Reply)

Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? / What Physical Components Improve A Car's Speed And Acceleration? / Mazda: Diagnostic Trouble Codes!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.