Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,432 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? (996 Views)

Buying Cars From Cotonou Or Togo,which Is Cheaper? / Dangers Of Buying Vehicles From Cotonou / How Can I Know Or Detect A Stolen Car From Europe Or America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? by messiah(m): 2:17pm On Aug 28, 2014
Hi guys,
I'm about rounding up my studies in Hungary and would like to get a car from here to drive in Nigeria when I get back. I recently heard about the increase in customs clearance charges and this has really devastated me. I intend to buy a 2008 Ford Focus, as my first car, to use in Nigeria. The car is almost new costing about 1.2million Naira. Now, I'm told clearing such a car would cost up to 687 000 Naira. After factoring shipping into everything, I'm looking at spending up to about 2.2million Naira for the car. Do you think it's worth it all? Or with around 2million I would have better options in Cotonou when I come back to Nigeria?
I've lived in Hungary (and visited a handful of other European countries) for 5 years now and I have clearly seen how their cars are different than the ones in I see that ultimately make it to Nigeria.
I would really appreciate any expert or friendly advice.
I'm really confused now since the person who's going to sell it to me has already given me a week's deadline.
Thank you and God bless.
Re: Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? by erico2k2(m): 2:38pm On Aug 28, 2014
messiah: Hi guys,
I'm about rounding up my studies in Hungary and would like to get a car from here to drive in Nigeria when I get back. I recently heard about the increase in customs clearance charges and this has really devastated me. I intend to buy a 2008 Ford Focus, as my first car, to use in Nigeria. The car is almost new costing about 1.2million Naira. Now, I'm told clearing such a car would cost up to 687 000 Naira. After factoring shipping into everything, I'm looking at spending up to about 2.2million Naira for the car. Do you think it's worth it all? Or with around 2million I would have better options in Cotonou when I come back to Nigeria?
I've lived in Hungary (and visited a handful of other European countries) for 5 years now and I have clearly seen how their cars are different than the ones in I see that ultimately make it to Nigeria.
I would really appreciate any expert or friendly advice.
I'm really confused now since the person who's going to sell it to me has already given me a week's deadline.
Thank you and God bless.
Buy from where you are and ship home, you get that added benefit of doing full service, change your tyres and all parts that needs changing before you ship the car.
Re: Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? by messiah(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2014
erico2k2:
Buy from where you are and ship home, you get that added benefit of doing full service, change your tyres and all parts that needs changing before you ship the car.

Thank you. That's encouraging enough. I will do all that you suggested. However, do you still think it's worth the 2.2mil?
sad
Re: Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? by erico2k2(m): 5:39pm On Aug 28, 2014
messiah:

Thank you. That's encouraging enough. I will do all that you suggested. However, do you still think it's worth the 2.2mil?
sad
Erm for that car I would have adviced you to buy something diffrent eg Audi A6 or Vw even BMW.ford focus is not a very strong car.I live where they are made

1 Like

Re: Ship From Europe Or Buy From Cotonou. Which Is Cheaper? by Openroad(m): 4:47am On Aug 29, 2014
Ford focus is not the car for this question... There are cars older than that and cheaper that will be worth more to you in service on Nigerian roads.... If you have your reasons for the particular car and are prepared to service the car in Nigeria as needed, then it is ok and will last more than a few years as a 2008 model, then it will need work and ford parts are not expensive for that car....

I would not buy it for myself and would rather risk as old as a 2001 of Japanese models... I think the gas saved on the focus will lend well towards repairing the car in a few more years... Wish you well in your endeavor...

(1) (Reply)

Is There A Problem With My 1999 Honda Accord? / Wanna Resurrect My Old Volvo 760 Car For Businees,,where Can I Get The Engines? / How Much Is Shock Absorber Original New One Not China For MDX 2003

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.