Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM (7628 Views)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 01/08/15 / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional, January. 2014 / ****Daily Devotion- Our Daily Bread By Les Lamborn**** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 14, 2017
ariiwihs
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 14, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Held by God

Read: Psalm 131

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+43%E2%80%9344%3B+1+Thessalonians+2]Isaiah 43–44; 1 Thessalonians 2[/url]

I have calmed and quieted myself, I am like a weaned child with its mother; like a weaned child I am content.
Psalm 131:2

As I was nearing the end of lunch with my sister and her children one afternoon, my sister told my three-year-old niece, Annica, it was time to get ready for her nap. Her face filled with alarm. “But Aunt Monica did not hold me yet today!” she objected, tears filling her eyes. My sister smiled. “Okay, she may hold you first—how long do you need?” “Five minutes,” she replied.

As I held my niece, I was grateful for how, without even trying, she constantly reminds me what it looks like to love and be loved. I think sometimes we forget that our faith journey is one of learning to experience love—God’s love—more fully than we can imagine (Eph. 3:18). When we lose that focus, we can find ourselves, like the older brother in Jesus’s parable of the prodigal son, trying desperately to win God’s approval while missing out on all He has already given us (Luke 15:25–32).
Psalm 131 is one prayer in Scripture that can help us to “become like little children” (Matt. 18:3) and to let go of the battle in our mind over what we don’t understand (Ps. 131:1). Instead, through time with Him we can return to a place of peace (v. 2), finding the hope we need (v. 3) in His love—as calm and quiet as if we were children again in our mothers’ arms (v. 2).

Lord, we are so grateful for those in our lives who remind us what it means to love and be loved. Help us to be ever more deeply rooted in Your love.

Like children, we can learn to rest in the love of God.

By Monica Brands

INSIGHT
Psalm 131, written by David, is one of fifteen “songs of ascents” (Pss.120–134). Pilgrims on their way to Jerusalem sang these songs to celebrate the annual feasts (Deut. 16:16). In this psalm, David acknowledged that there are some things about God that he just couldn’t understand (cf. Deut. 29:29; Job 42:3; Eccl. 11:5; Isa. 55:8–9; Rom. 11:33–34). But David chose not to be troubled by matters that properly belonged to God (Ps. 131:1). Instead, like a weaned, contented child enjoying the protection and provision of a mother (v.2), David simply trusted God with a childlike faith and quiet confidence. Psalm 131 is a prayer of humility (v. 1), contentment (v. 2), and hope (v. 3).

How does reflecting on the character and love of God comfort you and allow you to rest in Him?

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: God's love , love
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:44am On Oct 15, 2017
neowdf
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:55am On Oct 15, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1%3A26%E2%80%9331]Genesis 1:26–31[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+45%E2%80%9346%3B+1+Thessalonians+3]Isaiah 45–46; 1 Thessalonians 3[/url]

CREATION CARES

The highest heavens belong to the LORD, but the earth he has given to mankind.
Psalm 115:16

The “big browns” are spawning in the Owyhee River—brown trout beginning their fall nesting ritual. You can see them excavating their nests in the gravelly shallows.
Wise fishermen know that fish are spawning and try not to disturb them. They avoid walking on gravel bars where they might trample the eggs, or wading upstream from the nests where they might dislodge debris that can smother them. And they don’t fish for these trout, though it’s tempting to do so as they rest near their nests.
These precautions are part of an ethic that governs responsible fishing. But there is a deeper and a better cause.
The Scriptures stress the fact that God has given us the earth (Gen. 1:28–30). It is ours to use, but we must use it as those who love it.
I muse on the work of God’s hands: a partridge calling across a canyon, a bull elk bugling up a fight, a herd of antelope far off in the distance, a brook trout and its kaleidoscopic rose moles, a mother otter playing in a stream with her pups—I love all these things, for they have been given to me for my delight, out of my Father’s great love.
And what I love, I protect.

Heavenly Father, You have put us here to enjoy and ponder Your marvelous creation. May everything You have made remind us of Your goodness, love, and care.

Share one of your favorite photos of God's creation on
Facebook.com/ourdailybread

Care for creation honors the Creator.

By David H. Roper

INSIGHT

God gave specific instructions on how the Israelites should treat the land He had given them (Ex. 23:10–11; Lev. 25:1–7). Just as His people were commanded to rest every seventh day, “[their] land [was] to have a year of rest” (Lev. 25:5). “For six years you are to sow your fields and harvest the crops, but during the seventh year let the land lie unplowed and unused” (Ex. 23:10–11). Modern scientists have supported the practice of periodically letting land lay fallow, allowing the land’s nutrients to be replenished and productivity rejuvenated.
Our wise Creator cares for those He created as well as the earth He has given us. How can we be better
stewards of God’s creation?

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: creation, protection,
stewardship
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:17am On Oct 16, 2017
then the
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 16, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+50%3A15%E2%80%9320]Genesis 50:15–20[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+47%E2%80%9349%3B+1+Thessalonians+4]Isaiah 47–49; 1 Thessalonians 4[/url]

You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done. Genesis 50:20
Jay Bufton turned his hospital room into a lighthouse.

The fifty-two-year-old husband, father, high school teacher, and coach was dying of cancer, but his room—Room 5020—became a beacon of hope for friends, family, and hospital workers. Because of his joyful attitude and strong faith, nurses wanted to be assigned to Jay. Some even came to see him during off-hours.
Even as his once-athletic body was wasting away, he greeted anyone and everyone with a smile and encouragement. One friend said, “Every time I visited Jay he was upbeat, positive, and filled with hope. He was, even while looking cancer and death in the face, living out his faith.”
At Jay’s funeral, one speaker noted that Room 5020 had a special meaning. He pointed to Genesis 50:20, in which Joseph says that although his brothers sold him into slavery, God turned the tables and accomplished something good: “the saving of many lives.” Cancer invaded Jay’s life, but by recognizing God’s hand at work Jay could say that “God intended it for good.” That’s why Jay could use even the ravages of cancer as an open door to tell others about Jesus.
What a legacy of unwavering trust in our Savior even as death was knocking at the door! What a testimony of confidence in our good and trustworthy God!

Lord, difficult things come into our lives so often. Please help us to trust You enough to see that nothing is beyond Your control. Help us to tell of Your love even in the tough times.

By God’s grace, we can have our best witness in the worst of times.

By Dave Branon

INSIGHT

While Joseph’s story had a spectacularly happy ending, it did not come overnight. When Joseph became the primary character in the Genesis narrative, he was only seventeen years old (Gen. 37:2). After about ten years as a slave in the household of Potiphar (captain of the bodyguard, a high official in Pharaoh’s court), he had risen to a position of great trust, managing Potiphar’s household properties and affairs. However, after Potiphar’s wife falsely accused him, Joseph was imprisoned for two years (41:1). When he was set free and assigned the post of vice-chancellor of Egypt, he was thirty years old (41:46). But there were seven years of plenty followed by two years of famine (45:6) before he came face-to-face with his brothers. That means that from the time he was sold into slavery to the time of family reconciliation, twenty-two years had transpired!

How does the story of Joseph help you to realize there is no circumstance beyond
God’s control ?

For further reading see
Joseph: Overcoming Life’s Challenges

Bill Crowder

Tags: God's goodness, suffering , trust in God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:09am On Oct 17, 2017
shall we say
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 17, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Invincible Influence

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Thessalonians+5%3A16%E2%80%9324]1 Thessalonians 5:16–24[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+50%E2%80%9352%3B+1+Thessalonians+5]Isaiah 50–52; 1 Thessalonians 5[/url]

Do not quench the Spirit.
1 Thessalonians 5:19

On a visit to the National Gallery of Art in Washington, DC, I saw a masterpiece called The Wind. The painting showed a storm moving through a wooded area. Tall, thin trees leaned to the left. Bushes thrashed in the same direction.
In an even more powerful sense, the Holy Spirit is able to sway believers in the direction of God’s goodness and truth. If we go along with the Spirit, we can expect to become more courageous and more loving. We will also become more discerning about how to handle our desires (2 Tim. 1:7).
In some situations, however, the Spirit nudges us toward spiritual growth and change, but we respond with a “no.” Continually stonewalling this conviction is what Scripture calls “quench[ing] the Spirit” (1 Thess. 5:19). Over time, things we once considered wrong appear not to be quite as bad.
When our relationship with God seems distant and disconnected, this may be because the Spirit’s conviction has been repeatedly brushed aside. The longer this goes on, the harder it is to see the root of the problem. Thankfully, we can pray and ask God to show us our sin. If we turn away from sin and recommit ourselves to Him, God will forgive us and revive the power and influence of His Spirit within us.

God, show me how I have resisted Your Holy Spirit. Help me to listen when You speak. I want to be right with You again.

Yielding to the Holy Spirit leads to right living.

By Jennifer Benson Schuldt

INSIGHT

In Paul’s day, Thessalonica was the largest city of Macedonia with as many as 200,000 people (mainly Greeks). The city had a thriving seaport and was located on the Egnatian Way, a famous trade route built by the Romans. Paul and Silas visited this city on Paul’s second missionary journey, and while there Paul preached in its synagogues for three Sabbaths (Acts 17:1–3). During their visit, some Jews plus “a large number of God-fearing Greeks” and many prominent women were persuaded to follow Jesus (v. 4). But Paul’s stay was cut short when some jealous Jews formed a mob and started a riot (vv. 5–9). As soon as he could, Paul sent Timothy to the young church to encourage and strengthen the new believers in their faith (1 Thess. 3:1–5). Timothy returned to Paul with good news: the people were standing firm despite persecution (vv. 6–cool. In response, Paul wrote First Thessalonians from Corinth to further encourage the church. His warning to not “quench the Spirit” appears in a list of final instructions he gave the Thessalonians (5:19).

Is there an area of your life where you’ve been resisting the “nudge” of the Holy Spirit ?

Alyson Kieda

Tags: conviction of sin , forgiveness ,
Holy Spirit
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:34am On Oct 18, 2017
pjfa
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:41am On Oct 18, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+53%3A1%E2%80%936]Isaiah 53:1–6[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+53%E2%80%9355%3B+2+Thessalonians+1]Isaiah 53–55; 2 Thessalonians 1[/url]

An Encounter With Stones

He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities.
Isaiah 53:5

After centuries of war and destruction, the modern city of Jerusalem is literally built on its own rubble. During a family visit, we walked the Via Dolorosa (the Way of Sorrow), the route tradition says Jesus followed on His way to the cross. The day was hot, so we paused for a rest and descended to the cool basement of the Convent of the Sisters of Zion. There I was intrigued by the sight of ancient pavement stones unearthed during recent construction—stones etched with games played by Roman soldiers during their idle moments.
Those particular stones, even though likely from a period later than Jesus, caused me to ponder my spiritual life at the time. Like a bored soldier passing time in idle moments, I had become complacent and uncaring toward God and others. I was deeply moved by remembering that near the place I was standing, the Lord was beaten, mocked, insulted, and abused as He took all of my failure and rebellion on Himself.
“He was pierced for our transgressions, he was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was on him, and by his wounds we are healed” (Isa. 53:5).
My encounter with the stones still speaks to me of Jesus’s loving grace that is greater than all my sin.

Lord Jesus, through Your great sacrifice for us, we find forgiveness, healing, and hope. Thank You that we live today and forever in Your love.

Our sin is great—God’s grace is greater.

By David C. McCasland

INSIGHT

In their context, few Old Testament prophecies of Jesus look like clear predictions. For the most part, it is only by reading backward that we can see how Jesus brought fullness of meaning to words that were mysterious in their own time. Yet when read in light of Jesus, these words can now be life-changing.
Isaiah’s prophecy of the
Suffering Servant is an example of this. Many in Israel believed it was their own persecuted nation that was bearing the sins of the world. Only by looking back can people like us realize that “we” were the ones who unwittingly demanded the death of our own God and Savior (Zech. 12:10–14).

As hard as it is to admit, this is the kind of grief that is for our good and comfort. This is how we can read words that were once so mysterious and see how much our God loves us.

Mart DeHaan

Tags: cross, Jesus , Messiah , sin
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:50am On Oct 19, 2017
Risk box
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:56am On Oct 19, 2017
Our Daily Bread

We've Got The Power

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+7%3A14%E2%80%9325]Romans 7:14–25[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+56%E2%80%9358%3B+2+Thessalonians+2]Isaiah 56–58; 2 Thessalonians 2[/url]

Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. Galatians 5:25
The loud crackling noise startled me. Recognizing the sound, I raced to the kitchen. I’d accidently tapped the start button on the empty coffee maker. Unplugging the appliance, I grabbed the handle of the carafe. Then I touched the bottom of the container to ensure it wasn’t too hot to place on the tile counter. The smooth surface burned my fingertips, blistering my tender skin.
As my husband nursed my wound, I shook my head. I knew the glass would be hot. “I honestly do not know why I touched it,” I said.
My response after making such a mistake reminded me of Paul’s reaction to a more serious issue in Scripture—the nature of sin.
The apostle admits to not knowing why he does things he knows he shouldn’t do and doesn’t want to do (Rom. 7:15). Affirming that Scripture determines right and wrong (v. 7), he acknowledges the real, complex war constantly waging between the flesh and the spirit in the struggle against sin (vv. 15–23). Confessing his own weaknesses, he offers hope for victory now and forever (vv. 24–25).
When we surrender our lives to Christ, He gives us His Holy Spirit who empowers us to choose to do right (8:8–10). As He enables us to obey God’s Word, we can avoid the searing sin that separates us from the abundant life God promises those who love Him.

Lord, thanks for breaking the chains that used to bind us to a life controlled by our sinful nature.

The Holy Spirit transforms us through His love and by His grace.

By Xochitl Dixon

INSIGHT

In Romans 7 the apostle Paul laments that sinful tendencies within us sometimes win out over righteous impulses. In what ways can we yield to the
Holy Spirit’s power to experience more righteous living?

For further reading see
ourdailyjourney.org/spirits-wind .

Dennis Fisher

Tags: Holy Spirit , obedience
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 2:46am On Oct 20, 2017
ogcxth
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 2:50am On Oct 20, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+27%3A1%E2%80%934]Psalm 27:1–4[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+59%E2%80%9361%3B+2+Thessalonians+3%0D%0A]Isaiah 59–61; 2 Thessalonians 3[/url]

When Beauty Never Ends

Because your love is better than life, my lips will glorify you. Psalm 63:3

I love looking at the Grand Canyon. Whenever I stand at the canyon rim I see new brushstrokes of God’s handiwork that take my breath away.
Even though it’s just a (very large) “hole” in the ground, the Grand Canyon causes me to reflect on heaven. A very honest twelve-year-old asked me once, “Won’t heaven be boring? Don’t you think we’ll get tired of praising God all the time?” But if a “hole in the ground” can be so overwhelmingly beautiful we can’t stop looking at it, we can only imagine the joy of one day seeing the very Source of beauty—our loving Creator—in all of the pristine wonder of the new creation.
David expressed this longing when he wrote, “One thing I ask from the Lord, this only do I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze on the beauty of the Lord” (Ps. 27:4). There’s nothing more beautiful than the presence of God, which draws near to us on this earth as we seek Him by faith, looking forward to seeing Him face to face.
On that day we’ll never tire of praising our amazing Lord, because we will never come to an end of fresh, new discoveries of His exquisite goodness and the wonders of the works of His hands. Every moment in His presence will bring a breathtaking revelation of His beauty and His love.

Beautiful Savior, please help me to seek You every day and to live even now in Your presence and Your love.

We were created to enjoy God forever.

By James Banks

INSIGHT

God is worthy of our faith, hope, and confidence; His power and presence are the foundation of many of the Old Testament stories. But sometimes life makes us question what we know. It's hard to see these truths about God when life is hard. That's when we need to view our experience through the lens of Scripture.
David does just that in Psalm 27. Despite having been anointed king by Samuel, he is living as a vagrant and fugitive. Even though he is on the run and enemy armies are pursuing him (vv. 2–3), he is confident in the Lord (v. 3). It is just then—when David’s immediate experience suggests hopelessness—that he rests in the power and protection of the Lord. Turning his eyes away from his circumstances and toward the Lord bolstered David’s confidence. His one desire was not to be vindicated in front of his enemies, but to be in the
presence of the Lord (v. 4). Turning to the Lord is what gave him confidence in the day of trouble (v. 5).
Where does your experience need to be understood through the lens of Scripture? What truth about God do you need to be reminded of today?

J.R. Hudberg

Tags: beauty , God's love , heaven ,
praise
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:44am On Oct 21, 2017
ihcxsd
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:48am On Oct 21, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Your Safe Place

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Proverbs+18%3A10%E2%80%9311]Proverbs 18:10–11[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+62%E2%80%9364%3B+1+Timothy+1]Isaiah 62–64; 1 Timothy 1[/url]

The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe. Proverbs 18:10

My daughter and I were arranging to attend an extended family gathering. Because she was nervous about the trip, I offered to drive. “Okay. But I feel safer in my car. Can you drive it?” she asked. I assumed she preferred her more spacious vehicle to my compact one so I responded, “Is my car too cramped?” “No, it’s just that my car is my safe place. Somehow I feel protected there.”
Her comment challenged me to consider my own personal “safe place.” Immediately I thought of Proverbs 18:10, “The name of the LORD is a fortified tower; the righteous run to it and are safe.” In Old Testament times, the walls and watchtower of a city provided warning of danger from without and shielding for its citizens within. The writer’s point is that God’s name, which stands for His character, person, and everything that He is, provides true protection for His people.
Certain physical places promise longed-for safety in moments that seem dangerous. A sturdy roof overhead in the midst of a storm. A hospital offering medical care. The embrace of a loved one.
What is your “safe place”? Wherever we seek safety, it is God’s presence with us in that place that provides the strength and protection we really need.

Dear God, thank You that no matter what worries and concerns we have today, when we think about You, we find safety in Your presence.

Where is your safe place? Share at
Facebook.com/ourdailybread .

God is a safe place in life’s storms.

By Elisa Morgan

INSIGHT

One of the greatest biblical descriptions of a truly “ safe place” is found in the familiar words of Psalm 23. Some scholars envision David writing this Shepherd-psalm while still a young boy, perhaps lying under a star-filled night sky. Others see so much maturity and wisdom in the song that they imagine Psalm 23 as the reflections of an elderly person who has lived long and learned much. Either way, the song clearly describes David’s “safe place.” It was a place of provision (v. 1); a place of green pastures and quiet, relaxing waters (v. 2); and a place for spiritual restoration and spiritual guidance (v. 3). But, most of all, it was a place where David experienced the presence of God, who removed all his fear and provided deep comfort (v. 4).

Bill Crowder

Tags: God's care , God's presence ,
God's protection , safety
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:14am On Oct 22, 2017
phgrg
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 22, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+15%3A9%E2%80%9317]John 15:9–17[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+65%E2%80%9366%3B+1+Timothy+2]Isaiah 65–66; 1 Timothy 2[/url]

My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. John 15:12

One of my favorite churches started several years ago as a ministry to ex-prisoners who were transitioning back into society. Now the church flourishes with people from all walks of life. I love that church because it reminds me of what I picture heaven will be like—filled with different kinds of people, all redeemed sinners, all bound together by the love of Jesus.

Sometimes, though, I wonder if church seems more like an exclusive club than a safe haven for forgiven sinners. As people naturally gravitate into groups of “a certain kind” and cluster around those they feel comfortable with, it leaves others feeling marginalized. But that’s not what Jesus had in mind when He told His disciples to “love each other as I have loved you” (John 15:12). His church was to be an extension of His love mutually shared with all.
If hurting, rejected people can find loving refuge, comfort, and forgiveness in Jesus, they should expect no less from the church. So let’s exhibit the love of Jesus to everyone we encounter—especially those who are not like us. All around us are people Jesus wants to love through us. What a joy it is when people unite to worship together in love—a slice of heaven we can enjoy here on earth!

Lord, remind me today that while I was a sinner You embraced me with Your deep and unconditional love and brought me into the fellowship of Your grace. Lead me to someone I can love as You loved me.

Share Christ’s love with another.

By Joe Stowell

INSIGHT

Have you ever wondered how Jesus could command His disciples to love anyone? How can you force people of varying backgrounds and interests to care for one another?
Such instruction probably won’t make sense until we understand what kind of a king Jesus was—and what kind of relationship He had with His Father. He wasn’t saying, “I’ll love you if you love me.” That’s not the way His relationship with His Father worked. He knew His Father loved Him. When He loved and obeyed His Father’s commands, it was because Jesus knew and listened to His Father’s heart. In the Spirit of our God, we love our King—and one another—because He first loved us (1 John 4:19).

Mart DeHaan

Tags: Church , Living like Christ , love for others
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 23, 2017
times
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:49am On Oct 23, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Brother to Brother

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+33%3A1%E2%80%9311+]Genesis 33:1–11[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+1%E2%80%932%3B+1+Timothy+3]Jeremiah 1–2; 1 Timothy 3[/url]

A new command I give you: Love one another.
John 13:34

My brother and I, less than a year apart in age, were quite “competitive” growing up (translation: we fought!). Dad understood. He had brothers. Mom? Not so much.
Our story could have fit in the book of Genesis, which might well be subtitled A Brief History of Sibling Rivalry. Cain and Abel (Gen. 4); Isaac and Ishmael (21:8–10); Joseph and everyone not named Benjamin (ch. 37). But for brother-to-brother animosity, it’s hard to beat Jacob and Esau.
Esau’s twin brother had cheated him twice, so he wanted to kill Jacob (27:41). Decades later Jacob and Esau would reconcile (ch. 33). But the rivalry continued on in their descendants, who became the nations of Edom and Israel. When the people of Israel prepared to enter the Promised Land, Edom met them with threats and an army (Num. 20:14–21). Much later, as Jerusalem’s citizens fled invading forces, Edom slaughtered the refugees (Obad. 1:10–14).
Happily for us, the Bible contains not just the sad account of our brokenness but the story of God’s redemption as well. Jesus changed everything, telling His disciples, “A new command I give you: Love one another” (John 13:34). Then He showed us what that means by dying for us.
As my brother and I got older, we became close. That’s the thing with God. When we respond to the forgiveness He offers, His grace can transform our sibling rivalries into brotherly love.

Lord, we invite You to transform our relationships with Your healing love.

Sibling rivalry is natural. God’s love is supernatural.

By Tim Gustafson

INSIGHT

Over twenty “one another” statements in the New Testament call us to focus on the needs of others. We are challenged to love, pray for, serve, comfort, and forgive one another.
This week, will you watch for ways to extend love and grace to others through His Spirit?

Bill Crowder

Tags: forgiveness , God's love ,
reconciliation , relationships
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 7:08am On Oct 24, 2017
pftugd
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 24, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+25%3A31%E2%80%9340]Matthew 25:31–40[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+3%E2%80%935%3B+1+Timothy+4]Jeremiah 3–5; 1 Timothy 4[/url]

Whatever you did for one of the least of these . . . you did for me. Matthew 25:40

When a friend cared for her housebound mother-in-law, she asked her what she longed for the most. Her mother-in-law said, “For my feet to be washed.” My friend admitted, “How I hated that job! Each time she asked me to do it I was resentful, and would ask God to hide my feelings from her.”
But one day her grumbling attitude changed in a flash. As she got out the bowl and towel and knelt at her mother-in-law’s feet, she said, “I looked up, and for a moment I felt like I was washing the feet of Jesus Himself. She was Jesus in disguise!” After that, she felt honored to wash her mother-in-law’s feet.

When I heard this moving account, I thought of Jesus’s story about the end of time that He taught on the slopes of the Mount of Olives. The King welcomes into His kingdom His sons and daughters, saying that when they visited the sick or fed the hungry, “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me” (Matt. 25:40). We too serve Jesus Himself when we visit those in prison or give clothes to the needy.
Today, might you echo my friend, who now wonders when she meets someone new, “Are you Jesus in disguise?”

Lord Jesus Christ, You can transform the most mundane of tasks. Help me to love others in Your name.

When we serve others, we serve Jesus.

By Amy Boucher Pye

INSIGHT

Matthew 25:31–40 is a powerful reminder of Jesus’s care for those who are hurting. In fact, since the “least of these” (v. 40) in Matthew consistently refers to followers of Jesus (see 10:42; 18:6), the passage implies we are likely to find true believers in Jesus in circumstances of great suffering. Those who are not in such suffering are judged on their willingness to serve and join with those who are. When they do, they encounter Jesus Himself (v. 40).
When have you most strongly experienced the
presence of Jesus through being with someone who was suffering?

Monica Brands

Tags: compassion, love of others,
serving
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:31am On Oct 25, 2017
okgg
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:40am On Oct 25, 2017
Our Daily Bread

SURVIVING THE WILDERNESS

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Exodus+17%3A1%E2%80%937]Exodus 17:1–7[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+6%E2%80%938%3B+1+Timothy+5]Jeremiah 6–8; 1 Timothy 5[/url]

The message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed. Hebrews 4:2

In the 1960s, the Kingston Trio released a song called “Desert Pete.” The ballad tells of a thirsty cowboy who is crossing the desert and finds a hand pump. Next to it, Desert Pete has left a note urging the reader not to drink the water in the jar left there but to use its contents to prime the pump.

The cowboy resists the temptation to drink and uses the water as the note instructs. In reward for his obedience, he receives an abundance of cold, satisfying water. Had he not acted in faith, he would have had only a jar of unsatisfying, warm water to drink.
This reminds me of Israel’s journey through the wilderness. When their thirst became overwhelming (Ex. 17:1–7), Moses sought the Lord. He was told to strike the rock of Horeb with his staff. Moses believed and obeyed, and water gushed from the stone.
Sadly, Israel would not consistently follow Moses’s example of faith. Ultimately, “the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed” (Heb. 4:2).
Sometimes life can seem like an arid desert. But God can quench our spiritual thirst in the most unlikely circumstances. When by faith we believe the promises of God’s Word, we can experience rivers of living water and grace for our daily needs.

Help us to place our trust in You, Lord. You are what our heart thirsts after.

Only Jesus, the Living Water, can satisfy our thirst for God.

By Dennis Fisher

INSIGHT

Three days after the Israelites left Egypt, the water they brought along was depleted. Finding no drinkable water in the Desert of Shur, they grumbled against Moses, and God miraculously made bitter water into good water (Ex. 15:22–25). Soon their food supplies ran out, and they complained again. God miraculously fed them with manna and quail (16:1–36). As they approached Sinai, they complained yet again of no water (17:1–2). God had already shown them He could provide the water and food they needed. All they had to do was to trust Him! (Deut. 8:2; Ps. 81:7–cool.
Consider how God has been faithful to provide for your physical needs. How has He satisfied your spiritual thirst?

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: faith, obedience, trust in God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:01pm On Oct 26, 2017
tuvcd
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:06pm On Oct 26, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Chronicles+17%3A1%E2%80%9315]1 Chronicles 17:1–15[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+9%E2%80%9311%3B+1+Timothy+6]Jeremiah 9–11; 1 Timothy 6[/url]

He is the one who will build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever.
1 Chronicles 17:12

My birthday is the day after my mother’s. As an adolescent, I would scramble to think of a gift that delighted my mom yet fit in my budget. She always received my purchases with appreciation, and on the following day, my birthday, she would present her gift to me. Without fail, her gift vastly outshone mine. Her intention wasn’t to diminish what I’d given her; she simply gave generously from her resources, which far exceeded my own.
My desire to give to my mother reminds me of David’s wish to build a home for God. Struck by the contrast between his palace and the tent where God revealed Himself, David longed to build God a temple. Instead of granting David’s wish to give, God responded by giving David an exceedingly better gift. God promised that not only would one of David’s children (Solomon) build the temple (1 Chron. 17:11), but that He would build David a house, a dynasty. That promise began with Solomon but found its ultimate fulfillment in Jesus, whose throne was indeed “established forever” (v. 12). David wanted to give from his finite resources, but God promised something infinite.
Like David, may we always be moved to give to God out of gratitude and love. And may we always see how much more abundantly He has given to us in Jesus.

Father God, I thank You for Your astounding gift to me in Jesus Christ. Your love overwhelms me.

God’s gift to us in Jesus Christ exceeds all gifts.

By Kirsten Holmberg

Tags: gifts , God's love , gratitude
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:16am On Oct 27, 2017
hoof
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:23am On Oct 27, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+24%3A19%E2%80%9322]Deuteronomy 24:19–22[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+12%E2%80%9314%3B+2+Timothy+1]Jeremiah 12–14; 2 Timothy 1[/url]

Those who work their land will have abundant food.
Proverbs 12:11

Outside my office window, the squirrels are in a race against winter to bury their acorns in a safe, accessible place. Their commotion amuses me. An entire herd of deer can go through our back yard and not make a sound, but one squirrel sounds like an invasion.
The two creatures are different in another way as well. Deer do not prepare for winter. When the snow comes they eat whatever they can find along the way (including ornamental shrubs in our yard). But squirrels would starve if they followed that example. They would be unable to find suitable food.
The deer and the squirrel represent ways that God cares for us. He enables us to work and save for the future, and He meets our need when resources are scarce. As the wisdom literature teaches, God gives us seasons of plenty so that we can prepare for seasons of need (Prov. 12:11). And as Psalm 23 says, the Lord leads us through perilous places to pleasant pastures.
Another way that God provides is by instructing those with plenty to share with those in need (Deut. 24:19). So when it comes to provision, the message of the Bible is this: Work while we can, save what we can, share what we can, and trust God to meet our needs.

Thank You, Lord, for the promise that You will meet our needs. Help us not to fear or doubt. We’re grateful that You’re watching over us and that our cries for help reach Your ear.

Our needs will never exhaust God’s supply.

By Julie Ackerman Link

INSIGHT

How does God provide for us? What if the source of our help comes from someone of another religion or from someone who claims no belief in God? Is their kindness still from God? Think about the children of Israel. Who helped them in their escape from Egypt? Yes, it was God and Moses. But Moses tells us that the Spirit of God prompted the Egyptian neighbors to fill the arms of the Jewish slaves with gold, silver, and clothing for their journey (Ex. 12:35–36).
Looking back on that day of great escape, in Deuteronomy 24 God reminds His people of two things. To help them identify with those in need, He wanted Israel to remember that their ancestors were once impoverished slaves. The second reminder grew out of the first. The Lord reminded His people that just as they had been helped in their escape from bondage, now it was their turn. As God had met their needs through the hands of others, so it was their turn to help others in a way that gives hands and faces to the heart of our provider God.

Mart DeHaan

Tags: creation, God's care , trust in God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 28, 2017
luk
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:13am On Oct 28, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+17%3A5%E2%80%938]Jeremiah 17:5–8[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+15%E2%80%9317%3B+2+Timothy+2]Jeremiah 15–17; 2 Timothy 2[/url]

They will be like a tree planted by the water . . . its leaves are always green.
Jeremiah 17:8

When friends moved into a new home, they planted wisteria near their fence and looked forward to the lavender blossom that would appear after five years of growth. Over two decades they enjoyed this plant, carefully pruning and tending it. But suddenly the wisteria died, for their neighbors had poured some weed killer by the other side of the fence. The poison seeped into the wisteria’s roots and the tree perished—or so my friends thought. To their surprise, the following year some shoots came through the ground.
We see the image of trees flourishing and perishing when the prophet Jeremiah relates them to God’s people who either trust in the Lord or ignore His ways. Those who follow God will send their roots into soil near water and will bear fruit (Jer. 17:cool, but those who follow their own hearts will be like a bush in the desert (vv. 5–6). The prophet yearns that God’s people would rely on the true and living God, that they would be “a tree planted by the water” (v. cool.
We know the “Father is the gardener” (John 15:1) and that in Him we can trust and have confidence (Jer. 17:7). May we follow Him with our whole heart as we bear fruit that lasts.

Loving Lord, I want to follow You completely, whether in times of drought or abundance. Help me turn to You for help and hope.

When we follow God, He makes us to flourish.

By Amy Boucher Pye

INSIGHT

The apostle Paul also spoke of the significance of our
spiritual roots in Christ. In Colossians 2:6–7 we read, “Therefore as you have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, having been firmly rooted and now being built up in Him and established in your faith, just as you were instructed, and overflowing with gratitude” (NASB). This description forms a fascinating word picture. Being rooted implies stability and an unmovable quality, yet that rootedness actually puts us in a position to walk in Him. These ideas are not contradictory but actually complement each other. In addition to our rootedness we are being built up and established in our faith, and this produces an extraordinary result—gratitude. The deeper our roots go into God, the more we will realize all He has provided for us.
Christ has saved us, established us, strengthened us, and matured us. What better response can there be than to live thankful lives?

Bill Crowder

Our Daily Bread Topics:
Suffering & Tragedy
Trust in God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:05am On Oct 29, 2017
tivxdt
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:24am On Oct 29, 2017
Our Daily Bread

TRUST TALLY

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+1%3A21%E2%80%9333]Deuteronomy 1:21–33[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Jeremiah+18%E2%80%9319%3B+2+Timothy+3]Jeremiah 18–19; 2 Timothy 3[/url]

See, the LORD your God has given you the land. . . . Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
Deuteronomy 1:21

Before my husband and I surrendered our lives to Christ, we seriously considered divorce. But after committing to love and obey God, we recommitted to each other. We sought wise counsel and invited the Holy Spirit to transform us individually and as a couple. Our heavenly Father continues to help us develop healthy communication skills. He’s teaching us how to love and trust Him—and one another—no matter what happens.
Yet, even as we head toward celebrating our twenty-fifth anniversary, I occasionally forget everything God has done in and through our trials. Sometimes, I struggle with a deep-seated fear of the unknown—experiencing unnecessary anxiety instead of relying on God’s track record.
In Deuteronomy 1, Moses affirmed the Lord’s reliability. He encouraged the Israelites to move forward in faith so they could enjoy their inheritance (v. 21). But God’s people demanded details about what they’d be up against and what they’d receive before committing to trust Him with their future (vv. 22–33).
Followers of Christ are not immune to succumbing to fear or anxiety. Worrying about what difficulties we may or may not encounter can keep us from depending on faith, and may even damage our relationships with God and others. But the Holy Spirit can help us create a trust tally of the Lord’s past faithfulness. He can empower us with courageous confidence in God’s trustworthiness yesterday, today, and forever.

Lord, thank You for affirming that we don’t need to know everything that lies ahead when we know You. We know You never change.

God’s past faithfulness proves His everlasting dependability.

By Xochitl Dixon

Tags: anxiety , dependence on God ,
fear , Marriage , trials , trust in God

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife' / How Many Of Billions Of Christians On Earth Do You Think Would Make Heaven? / 2020 Prophecy For Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 127
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.