Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,130 members, 7,818,391 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:13 PM

10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM (7627 Views)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 01/08/15 / Rhapsody Of Realities Daily Devotional, January. 2014 / ****Daily Devotion- Our Daily Bread By Les Lamborn**** (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:02am On Sep 28, 2017
jpgw
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:08am On Sep 28, 2017
Our Daily Bread

The Day I Couldn't Pray

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+8%3A22%E2%80%9326]Romans 8:22–26[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+5%E2%80%936%3B+Ephesians+1]Isaiah 5–6; Ephesians 1[/url]

The Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. Romans 8:26

In November 2015, I learned I needed open-heart surgery. Surprised and a little shaken, I was naturally drawn to think about the possibility of death. Were there relationships I needed to mend? Were there financial matters I needed to attend to for my family? Was there work that could be done ahead of time? And what about work that couldn’t wait; who should I hand that off to? It was a time to both act and pray.
Except I couldn’t do either .
My body was so weary and my mind so fatigued that even the simplest of tasks seemed beyond my strength. Perhaps most surprising, when I tried to pray, my thoughts would drift to the discomfort, or the shallow breathing caused by the damaged heart made me fall asleep. It was frustrating. I couldn’t work and I couldn’t even ask God to let me live so I could spend more time with my family!

The inability to pray troubled me most. But as with all other human needs, the Creator knew this was happening to me. I would eventually recall He made two preparations for such occurrences: the prayer of the Spirit for us when we can’t pray (Rom. 8:26), and the prayer of others on our behalf (James 5:16; Gal. 6:2).

What a comfort it was to know that the Holy Spirit was even then raising my concerns before the Father. What a gift also to hear from friends and family as they prayed for me. Then came another surprise: As my friends and family asked me what to pray for, it became clear that my answers to them were also being heard by God as prayers. What a gift it is in a time of uncertainty to be reminded God hears our heart even when we think we can’t call out to Him.

LORD MAY I NEVER CEASE WATCHING AND PRAYING IN JESUS NAME, AMEN!

God never leaves the voices of His children unheard.

By Randy Kilgore

INSIGHT

Anyone who has traveled to a foreign country can understand the value of a good translator. Someone who is familiar with our language and that of the country we are visiting knows how to choose just the right words to communicate clearly.
Have you ever been in a situation so perplexing you didn’t know the right words to use when you prayed? Because of our limited perspective and the distraction of our sinful inclinations we can sometimes struggle with
prayer. Yet God the Holy Spirit is our intercessor. He groans with our concerns as He Himself makes our prayers conform to the will of God. It’s a comfort that the Holy Spirit knows our own limitations and weaknesses and translates our requests to God in conformity with His will.
In what ways does understanding the intercession of the Holy Spirit comfort you when you find it hard to pray?

Dennis Fisher

Tags: comfort, Holy Spirit , prayer
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 29, 2017
ppkmngg
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 9:29pm On Sep 29, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+20%3A24%E2%80%9329]John 20:24–29[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+7%E2%80%938%3B+Ephesians+2]Isaiah 7–8; Ephesians 2[/url]

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful.
Hebrews 10:23

When our son was struggling with heroin addiction, if you had told me God would one day use our experience to encourage other families who face these kinds of battles, I would have had trouble believing it. God has a way of bringing good out of difficult circumstances that isn’t always easy to see when you are going through them.
The apostle Thomas also didn’t expect God to bring good out of the greatest challenge of his faith—Jesus’s crucifixion. Thomas wasn’t with the other disciples when Jesus came to them after the resurrection, and in his deep grief he insisted, “Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were . . . I will not believe” (John 20:25). But later, when Jesus appeared to all the disciples together, out of the dust of Thomas’s doubts God’s Spirit would inspire a striking statement of faith. When Thomas exclaimed, “My Lord and my God!” (v. 28), he was grasping the truth that Jesus was actually God in the flesh, standing right in front of him. It was a bold confession of faith that would encourage and inspire believers in every century that followed.
Our God is able to inspire fresh faith in our hearts, even in moments when we least expect it. We can always look forward to His faithfulness. Nothing is too hard for Him!

Thank You, Lord, that Your love is stronger than our greatest difficulties—even our worst doubts or fears!

God can change our doubts into bold statements of faith.

By James Banks

INSIGHT

Though God may seem silent or even out of sight, He is never absent (Heb. 13:5). He is sovereignly working out things for our good; nothing is ever wasted in the hands of our God (see Rom. 8:28). In 1 Corinthians 10:13 the apostle Paul assures us that God will most certainly work things out for us: “The [trials] in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the [trials] to be more than you can stand. [God] will show you a way out so that you can endure” (nlt). When going through the difficulties of life, let us in faith see “him who is invisible” because “he who promised is faithful” (Heb. 11:27; 10:23).
For further reflection, read 1 Corinthians 1:9, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, 2 Thessalonians 3:3, and 2 Timothy 2:13. Allow the faithful God to embrace you and give you fresh faith .

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: doubt, faith, God's faithfulness
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:33am On Sep 30, 2017
tywrtras
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 30, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+3%3A1%E2%80%938%2C+13%E2%80%9316]John 3:1–8, 13–16[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+9%E2%80%9310%3B+Ephesians+3]Isaiah 9–10; Ephesians 3[/url]

NEW: INSIDE AND OUT

No one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again. John 3:3

A few years ago a publisher made a big mistake. A book had been on the market for several years, so it was time for a makeover. The author rewrote the book to bring it up to date. But when the revision was published, there was a problem. The publisher gave the book a nice new cover but printed the old book inside.
The exterior was fresh and new, but the interior was old and out of date. This “reprint” was not really new at all.
Sometimes that kind of thing happens with people. They realize a change needs to be made in life. Things are heading in the wrong direction. So they may put on a new exterior without making a vital change in their heart. They may change a behavior on the outside but may not realize that it is only God who can change us on the inside.

In John 3, Nicodemus sensed that because Jesus came “from God” (v. 2) He offered something very different. What Jesus told Nicodemus made him realize that He offered nothing short of a rebirth (v. 4): He needed to be “born again,” to be made totally new (v. 7).
That change comes only through faith in Jesus Christ. That’s when “the old has gone, the new is here” (2 Cor. 5:17). Do you need a change? Put your faith in Jesus. He’s the one who changes your heart and makes all things new.

Lord, I now know that changes on the outside—behavior, looks, attitude—don’t change me inside. I put my faith in Jesus, who died on the cross and rose again to forgive my sins. Make me new on the inside—in my soul.

How has your life been changed by Jesus? Share it with us at
odb.org .

Only God can make us new.
By Dave Branon

INSIGHT

A central theme in John is that it isn’t possible to be neutral about Jesus. We need to make a choice—either to live in the life, light, and joy found in Him, or to remain in darkness (3:19–21). But Jesus was patient in explaining the good news of transformation available through Him, knowing that understanding the gospel requires being “taught by God” (6:45).

Monica Brands

Tags: change, salvation , spiritual transformation
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:01am On Oct 01, 2017
Our Daily Bread
Sunday October 1, 2017

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ephesians+4%3A11%E2%80%9316]Ephesians 4:11–16[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+11%E2%80%9313%3B+Ephesians+4]Isaiah 11–13; Ephesians 4[/url]

IT TAKES TIME TO GROW

Speaking the truth in love, we will grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ.
Ephesians 4:15

On her first day in preschool, young Charlotte was asked to draw a picture of herself. Her artwork featured a simple orb for a body, an oblong head, and two circle eyes. On her last day of preschool, Charlotte was again directed to draw a self-portrait. This one showed a little girl in a colorful dress, a smiling face with distinct features, and a cascade of beautiful red tresses. The school had used a simple assignment to demonstrate the difference that time can make in the level of maturity.

While we accept that it takes time for children to mature, we may grow impatient with ourselves or fellow believers who show slow spiritual growth. We rejoice when we see the “fruit of the Spirit” (Gal. 5:22–23), but are disheartened when we observe a sinful choice. The author of Hebrews spoke of this when he wrote to the church: “Though by this time you ought to be teachers, you need someone to teach you the elementary truths of God’s word all over again” (Heb. 5:12).
As we continue to pursue intimacy with Jesus ourselves, let’s pray for each other and patiently come alongside those who love God but who seem to struggle with spiritual growth. “Speaking the truth in love,” let’s continue to encourage one another, so that together we may “grow to become in every respect the mature body of him who is the head, that is, Christ” (Eph. 4:15).

Lord, we love You! In our walk with You, help us to receive and give encouragement.

Words of truth spoken in love can guide us all toward maturity in Christ.

By Cindy Hess Kasper

INSIGHT

When children begin to accept responsibility for their actions and demonstrate more patience, we say they are “growing up.” The children of God are to grow up spiritually —to express a heart for God and others in the spirit and attitudes of Christ. In Paul’s New Testament letter to the Ephesians his message is subtle but clear. He knows that just as there is a time to celebrate the miracle and wonder of a child, there is a time to get beyond childishness. But he writes with patience and gentleness and doesn’t set a timeframe, reminding us that our desire for maturity must be expressed with love (4:2).
For further study on spiritual growth read God at the Center.

Mart DeHaan

Tags: body of Christ , encouragement,
spiritual growth
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 01, 2017
Happy New Month. Be blessed above your capabilities in JESUS NAME!
I DECLARE FULLNESS IN YOUR LIFE. THE SPIRIT OF GOD LIBERATE YOU!

HAPPY 57TH INDEPENDENCE MY COUNTRY NIGERIA!

Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 3:21am On Oct 02, 2017
ogvnmgy
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:33am On Oct 02, 2017
Our Daily Bread Monday, October 2, 2017

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+8%3A31%E2%80%9334]Romans 8:31–34[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+14%E2%80%9316%3B+Ephesians+5%3A1%E2%80%9316]Isaiah 14–16; Ephesians 5:1–16[/url]

THE PERFECT PRAYER PARTNER

[Jesus] is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
Romans 8:34

Few sounds are as beautiful as hearing someone who loves you praying for you. When you hear a friend pray for you with compassion and God-given insight, it’s a little like heaven touching earth.
How good it is to know that because of God’s kindness to us our prayers can also touch heaven. Sometimes when we pray we may struggle with words and feelings of inadequacy, but Jesus taught His followers that we “should always pray and not give up” (Luke 18:1). God’s Word shows us that one of the reasons we can do this is that Jesus Himself “is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us” (Rom. 8:34).

We never pray alone, because Jesus is praying for us. He hears us as we pray, and speaks to the Father on our behalf. We don’t have to worry about the eloquence of our words, because no one understands us like Jesus. He helps us in every way, presenting our needs before God. He also knows when the answers we ask for would not be good for us, handling every request or concern with perfect wisdom and love.

Jesus is the perfect prayer partner—the friend who intercedes for us with immeasurable kindness. His prayers for us are beautiful beyond words, and should encourage us to always pray with thankfulness.

Thank You, Lord Jesus, for interceding for me with love. Help me to love and serve You with my prayers today.

Visit us at
[url]ourdailybread.org/PrayerChangesThings for more resources on prayer[/url]

There’s no greater privilege than praying with Jesus.

By James Banks

INSIGHT

From its opening affirmation to its closing declaration, Romans 8 is a powerhouse of encouragement for the follower of Christ. Today’s devotional highlights the reminder that Jesus Himself intercedes for us as we pray (v. 34). But there is even more help for us. Verse 26 tells us, “We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans.” Imagine—the Son and the Spirit help us as we pray. What great reassurance that gives!
Do you struggle with your prayers? Knowing that divine help is available encourages us to keep praying—even when we aren’t sure how.

Bill Crowder

Tags: Jesus , prayer , thankfulness
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2017
yopfs

1 Like

Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:47am On Oct 03, 2017
Our Daily Bread Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Read: Psalm 57

Bible in a Year:
[url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+17%E2%80%9319%3B+Ephesians+5%3A17%E2%80%9333]Isaiah 17–19; Ephesians 5:17–33[/url]

CONCEIVED IN CRISIS

I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.
Psalm 57:1

Marc recalls a moment from his childhood when his father called the family together. Their car had broken down, and the family would run out of money by the end of the month. Marc’s dad paused and prayed. Then he asked the family to expect God’s answer.
Today Marc recalls how God’s help arrived in surprising ways. A friend repaired their car; unexpected checks arrived; food showed up at the door. Praising God came easily. But the family’s gratitude had been forged in a crisis.

Psalm 57 has long provided rich inspiration for worship songs. When David declared, “Be exalted, O God, above the heavens” (v. 11), we might imagine him gazing up at a magnificent Middle Eastern night sky or perhaps singing in a tabernacle worship service. But in reality David, fearful for his life, was hiding in a cave.
“I am in the midst of lions,” David said in the psalm. These “ravenous beasts” were “men whose teeth are spears and arrows, whose tongues are sharp swords” (v. 4). David’s praise was conceived in crisis. Although he was cornered by enemies who wanted him dead, David could write these amazing words: “My heart, O God, is steadfast . . . . I will sing and make music” (v. 7).

Whatever crisis we face today, we can run to God for help. Then, we can praise Him as we wait expectantly, confident in His infinitely creative care for us.

Share with others on
Facebook.com/ourdailybread about when God delivered you from a crisis.

Your next crisis is your next opportunity to trust our unfailing God.

By Tim Gustafson

INSIGHT

Scripture often uses the image of wings to speak of God’s strength and protection. The image of a chick hiding under the wings of its mother helps us understand the refuge that David seeks in God (Ps. 57). When chicks take refuge under the hen’s wings, they are not simply sheltered but are completely hidden—totally covered in the feathers of their mother, out of sight and out of the way of danger. Whatever danger comes must come to the parent first. Like David, we can “take refuge in the shadow of [God’s] wings” (v. 1).
How does this image encourage you to trust God during your trials?

J.R. Hudberg

Tags: praise , prayer , worship

PRAY FOR GOD ALMIGHTY TO TAKE CONTROL OF AMERICA
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:36am On Oct 04, 2017
Our Daily Bread
Wednesday October 4 2017

Divine Interruptions

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18%3A35%E2%80%9343]Luke 18:35–43[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+20%E2%80%9322%3B+Ephesians+6]Isaiah 20–22; Ephesians 6[/url]

Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?” “Lord, I want to see,” he replied. Luke 18:40–41

Experts agree that a staggering amount of time is consumed each day by interruptions. Whether at work or at home, a phone call or an unexpected visit can easily deflect us from what we feel is our main purpose.
Not many of us like disruptions in our daily lives, especially when they cause inconvenience or a change of plans. But Jesus treated what appeared to be interruptions in a far different way. Time after time in the Gospels, we see the Lord stop what He is doing to help a person in need.

While Jesus was on His way to Jerusalem where He would be crucified, a blind man begging by the side of the road called out, “Jesus, Son of David, have mercy on me!” (Luke 18:35–38). Some in the crowd told him to be quiet, but he kept calling out to Jesus. Jesus stopped and asked the man, “‘What do you want me to do for you?’ ‘Lord, I want to see,’ he replied. Jesus said to him, ‘Receive your sight; your faith has healed you’ ” (vv. 41–42).
When our plans are interrupted by someone who genuinely needs help, we can ask the Lord for wisdom in how to respond with compassion. What we call an interruption may be a divine appointment the Lord has scheduled for that day.

Lord Jesus, fill us with Your wisdom and compassion that we may respond as You did to people in need.

Interruptions can be opportunities to serve.

By David C. McCasland

INSIGHT

In Acts 8 we read of another
divine interruption . Philip had a fruitful ministry in Samaria (Acts 8:4–25), so he may have wondered why God would tell him to leave and take “the desert road—that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza” (v. 26). In obedience, Philip took the road few used. But God had sovereignly arranged for Philip to meet with an Ethiopian—a Gentile who himself had embarked on a long journey as he earnestly sought after God (v. 27). Philip made contact with the Ethiopian just as he was reading a prophecy about Jesus (vv. 28–34). The man believed in Christ, and Philip baptized him on the spot (vv. 36–38). Imagine how Philip must have felt when he realized he had been sent out on a divine assignment of leading a person to faith in Christ! Philip being on the road less traveled was no accident; he was there by divine leading.
What might the Lord be prompting you to do today?

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: compassion, faith, serving ,
wisdom Divine Interruptions
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 05, 2017
iojnnswtt]
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 7:18am On Oct 05, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Hovering over Us.

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Deuteronomy+32%3A7%E2%80%9312+]Deuteronomy 32:7–12[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+23%E2%80%9325%3B+Philippians+1]Isaiah 23–25; Philippians 1[/url]

He shielded him and cared for him . . . like an eagle that . . . hovers over its young.
Deuteronomy 32:10–11

Betty’s daughter arrived home from an overseas trip, feeling unwell. When her pain became unbearable, Betty and her husband took her to the emergency room. The doctors and nurses set to work, and after a few hours one of the nurses said to Betty, “She’s going to be okay! We’re going to take good care of her and get her healed up.” In that moment, Betty felt peace and love flood over her. She realized that while she hovered over her daughter anxiously, the Lord is the perfect parent who nurtures His children, comforting us in difficult times.

In the book of Deuteronomy, the Lord reminded His people how, when they were wandering in the desert, He cared for them as a loving parent who hovers over its young. He never left them, but was like an eagle “that spreads its wings” to catch its children and “carries them aloft” (32:11). He wanted them to remember that although they experienced hardship and strife in the desert, He didn’t abandon them.
We too may face challenges of many kinds, but we can take comfort and courage in this reminder that our God will never leave us. When we feel that we are falling, the Lord like an eagle will spread His wings to catch us (v. 11) as He brings us peace.

Father God, Your love as a parent is greater than anything I can imagine. May my confidence rest in You, and may I share Your love with others.

Our God hovers over us with love.

By Amy Boucher Pye

INSIGHT
Deuteronomy comes from the Greek word deuteronomion (“second law”). Much of the content of the book of Deuteronomy is a retelling of the giving of the law to Israel recorded in the book of Exodus. This could be misleading, however, because Deuteronomy is more than just legal code. The first giving of the law marked Israel entering into a covenant relationship with God as His people, but this retelling prepared them for their entrance into the long-awaited land of promise. It reminded the Israelites of their covenant relationship with the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob and was a reaffirmation of God’s covenant love for them—despite their repeated failures during the wilderness wanderings. God’s faithful, abiding love remained His response to His people. That same love continues today, and His perfect love never fails.
In your times of struggle, do you find it easy to question God’s love? How does God’s faithfulness to Israel encourage you to trust in His faithfulness to you?

Bill Crowder
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 06, 2017
gillwtd
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 8:37am On Oct 06, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1+Peter+1%3A3%E2%80%939]1 Peter 1:3–9[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+26%E2%80%9327%3B+Philippians+2]Isaiah 26–27; Philippians 2[/url]

IF ONLY I KNEW THEN

In his great mercy [God] has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead. 1 Peter 1:3

On the way to work, I listened to the song “Dear Younger Me,” which asks: If you could go back, knowing what you know now, what would you tell your younger self? As I listened, I thought about the bits of wisdom I might give my younger, less-wise self. Most of us have thought about how we might do things differently—if only we could do it all over again.
But the song illustrates that even though we have regrets from our past, all our experiences have shaped who we are. We can’t change the consequences of our choices or sin. Praise God we don’t have to carry the mistakes around with us. Because of what Jesus has done! “In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead”! (1 Peter 1:3).

If we turn to Him in faith and sorrow for our sins, He will forgive us. On that day we’re made brand new and begin the process of being spiritually transformed (2 Cor. 5:17). It doesn’t matter what we’ve done (or haven’t done), we are forgiven because of what He’s done. We can move forward, making the most of today and anticipating a future with Him. In Christ, we’re free!

Dear Lord, I’m so thankful that through You we can be free of the burdens of the past—the mistakes, the pain, the sins—that hang so heavy. We don’t need to carry around regret or shame. We can leave them with You.

For further study, read
Live Free

Leave your heavy burdens with God.

By Alyson Kieda

INSIGHT

Imagine meeting Jesus face to face—after knowingly denying ever knowing Him. Would we tell Him we haven’t been able to forgive ourselves? Would He know our heart and understand?
During the Last Supper, Peter couldn’t imagine he would deny Jesus once—let alone three times (John 13:37–38). But then the unthinkable happened (Matt. 26:69–75). Later, however, Jesus gave Peter three opportunities to express love to the One who so mercifully forgave him (John 21:15–18).
In that love and forgiveness Peter found a way forward. We too can move forward from the sins of our past through the love and forgiveness of Christ.

Mart DeHaan

Tags: forgiveness , freedom, sin
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:02am On Oct 07, 2017
biotafhhu
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:10am On Oct 07, 2017
Our Daily Bread

How Long?

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Habakkuk+1%3A2%E2%80%9311]Habakkuk 1:2–11[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+28%E2%80%9329%3B+Philippians+3]Isaiah 28–29; Philippians 3[/url]

How long, LORD, must I call for help? Habakkuk 1:2

When I married, I thought I would have children immediately. That did not happen, and the pain of infertility brought me to my knees. I often cried out to God, “How long?” I knew God could change my circumstance. Why wasn’t He?
Are you waiting on God? Are you asking, How long, Lord, before justice prevails in our world? Before there is a cure for cancer? Before I am no longer in debt?
The prophet Habakkuk was well acquainted with that feeling. In the seventh century bc, he cried out to the Lord: “How long, Lord, must I call for help, but you do not listen? Or cry out to you, ‘Violence!’ but you do not save? Why do you make me look at injustice? Why do you tolerate wrongdoing?” (Hab. 1:2–3). He prayed for a long time, struggling to reconcile how a just and powerful God could allow wickedness, injustice, and corruption to continue in Judah. As far as Habakkuk was concerned, God should have already intervened. Why was God doing nothing?
There are days when we too feel as if God is doing nothing. Like Habakkuk, we have continuously asked God, “How long?”
Yet, we are not alone. As with Habakkuk, God hears our burdens. We must continue to cast them on the Lord because He cares for us. God hears us and, in His time, will give an answer.

Lord, thank You for bearing my burdens. I know that You hear my cries and will answer in accordance to Your perfect plan and purposes.

For encouragement, read When God Says No.

Don't despair because of evil; God will have the last word.

By Karen Wolfe

INSIGHT

Like Habakkuk, the psalmist David understood that life’s challenges get harder the longer they last. David asked “How long?” four times in just two verses, “ How long,
LORD? Will you forget me forever? How long will you hide your face from me? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and day after day have sorrow in my heart?
How long will my enemy triumph over me?” (Ps. 13:1–2, emphasis added).
When you struggle, can you identify with Habakkuk and David? Does it feel like help is far away? Consider Lamentations 3:22–23, and let it encourage you to trust in God’s faithful care.

Bill Crowder

Tags: God's care , prayer , suffering,
waiting on God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 08, 2017
fethgd
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:51am On Oct 08, 2017
OUR DAILY BREAD

Enough

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+Kings+4%3A42%E2%80%9344]2 Kings 4:42–44[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+30%E2%80%9331%3B+Philippians+4]Isaiah 30–31; Philippians 4[/url]

They ate and had some left over, according to the word of the LORD. 2 Kings 4:44

When my husband and I were first asked to host a small group in our home, my immediate reaction was to decline. I felt inadequate. We didn’t have seats for everyone; our home was small and couldn’t hold many people. I didn’t know whether we had the skills to facilitate the discussion. I worried that I’d be asked to prepare food, something for which I lacked both passion and funds. I didn’t feel like we had “enough” to do it. I didn’t feel I
was “enough” to do it. But we wanted to give to God and our community, so despite our fears, we agreed. Over the next five years we found great joy in welcoming the group into our living room.

I observe similar reluctance and doubt in the man who brought bread to God’s servant, Elisha. Elisha had instructed him to give it to the people, but the man questioned whether twenty loaves could feed so many—one hundred men. He seems to have been tempted to withhold the food because—in his human understanding—it wouldn’t be sufficient. Yet it was more than enough (2 Kings 4:44), because God took his gift, given in obedience, and made it enough.
When we feel inadequate, or think what we have to offer isn’t sufficient, let’s remember that God asks us to give what we have in faithful obedience. He is the one who makes it “enough.”

Lord, when I fear what I have to give is insufficient, help me to give to You anyway and trust You to make it “enough.”

An offering given in faithful obedience is just right.

By Kirsten Holmberg

INSIGHT

We may wonder about the purpose of the miracle recorded in today’s passage. It becomes a little clearer when we back up a few verses. In verses 38–41 Elisha had performed another food miracle where he made a pot of poisonous stew safe to eat. Because there was a famine in the land, the provision of food would have been one of the top concerns of the people. So both of these miracles—the curing of the poisonous stew and 20 loaves of bread feeding 100 people—are signs of God’s provision. It is interesting to note two key phrases in verses 43 and 44 that address the doubts of Elisha’s servant: “this is what the LORD says” and “according to the word of the
LORD.” The power of the Lord is what provides when we have little or nothing to offer.
Reflect on a time when your resources were inadequate. How did God provide?

J.R. Hudberg

Tags: obedience, serving , trust in God
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:25am On Oct 09, 2017
putrss
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:14am On Oct 09, 2017
Our Daily Bread

FROM WORMS TO WAR

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Judges+6%3A11%E2%80%9316%2C+36%E2%80%9340]Judges 6:11–16, 36–40[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+32%E2%80%9333%3B+Colossians+1]Isaiah 32–33; Colossians 1[/url]

The LORD said to [Gideon], “Peace! Do not be afraid. You are not going to die.”
Judges 6:23

It was ten-year-old Cleo’s first time fishing, and as he looked into the container of bait he seemed hesitant to get started. Finally he said to my husband, “Help me, I-S-O-W!” When my husband asked him what the problem was, Cleo responded, “I-S-O-W! I’m scared of worms!” His fear had made him unable to act.

Fear can paralyze grown men too. Gideon must’ve been afraid when the angel of the Lord came to him as he was threshing wheat in secret, hiding from his Midianite enemies (Judg. 6:11). The angel told him he had been chosen by God to lead His people in battle (vv. 12–14).
Gideon’s response? “Pardon me, my lord, . . . but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family” (v. 15). After being assured of the Lord’s presence, Gideon still seemed fearful and asked for signs that God would use him to save Israel as He promised (vv. 36–40). And God responded to Gideon’s requests. The Israelites were successful in battle and then enjoyed peace for forty years.
We all have fears of various kinds—from worms to wars. Gideon’s story teaches us that we can be confident of this: If God asks us to do something, He’ll give us the strength and power to do it.

Lord, thank You for the assurance that You are with us.

To take the fear out of living, put your faith in the living God.

By Anne Cetas

Tags: fear , God's power , God's strength
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:45am On Oct 10, 2017
kgdswr
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 7:10am On Oct 10, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation+3%3A1%E2%80%936]Revelation 3:1–6[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+34%E2%80%9336%3B+Colossians+2]Isaiah 34–36; Colossians 2[/url]

Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God. Revelation 3:2

During the years when I traveled frequently and stayed in a different city every night, I always scheduled a wake-up call when I checked into a hotel. Along with a personal alarm, I needed a jangling telephone to help get me out of bed and moving in the morning.

The book of Revelation contains a spiritual wake-up call in the apostle John’s letters to the seven churches in the province of Asia. To the church in Sardis he wrote this message from Jesus Himself: “I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead. Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have found your deeds unfinished in the sight of my God” (Rev. 3:1–2).
In the midst of spiritual fatigue, we may fail to notice the lethargy that creeps into our relationship with God. But the Lord tells us to “remember . . . what you have received and heard; hold it fast, and repent” (v. 3).
Many people find that scheduling some extra time each morning to read the Bible and talk to the Lord in prayer helps them stay spiritually alert. It’s not a job but a joy to spend time with Jesus and know that He prepares us for whatever lies ahead that day.

Lord, enable us to hear and respond to Your wake-up call today.

Read In His Presence from Discovery Series.

Spending time with Jesus is a joy!

By David C. McCasland

INSIGHT

The call for the Christ-follower to be spiritually alert rings loud throughout the New Testament. To the sleepy disciples, Jesus bemoaned, “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation” (Matt. 26:41). Peter, writing from his own failure (see Luke 22:31–34), cautioned: “Be alert and of sober mind. Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion looking for someone to devour. Resist him” (1 Peter 5:8–9). We are reminded to “put on the full armor of God” (Eph. 6:11, 13) and to stand firm with the truth of the gospel (v. 14; see 2 Tim. 3:14–17) and with “the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God” (Eph. 6:17). Those who have the law of God “in their hearts . . . do not slip” (Ps. 37:31). The spiritually alert “[delights] in the law of the
LORD, and . . . meditates on his law day and night” (1:2).
How has “delighting” in God’s Word helped you remain spiritually alert?

Sim Kay Tee

Tags: devotions , prayer , quiet time
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 5:33am On Oct 11, 2017
ipgdzs
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 6:03am On Oct 11, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Two-Winged Sun

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+38%3A1%E2%80%938]Isaiah 38:1–8[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+37%E2%80%9338%3B+Colossians+3]Isaiah 37–38; Colossians 3[/url]

[The LORD says:] I have heard your prayer and seen your tears. Isaiah 38:5

For five years, an ancient clay seal remained in a closet in Jerusalem’s Institute of Archaeology. After the seal was dug up at the foot of the southern part of Jerusalem’s old city wall, initial examination failed to establish the significance of the nearly 3,000-year-old object. But then a researcher carefully scrutinized the letters on the seal, resulting in a major discovery. The inscription, written in ancient Hebrew, reads: “Belonging to Hezekiah [son of] Ahaz king of Judah.”

At the center of the seal is a two-winged sun surrounded by two images symbolizing life. The archaeologists who discovered the seal believe that King Hezekiah began using this seal as a symbol of God’s protection after the Lord healed him from a life-threatening illness (Isa. 38:1–cool. Hezekiah had been pleading with the Lord to heal him. And God heard his prayer. He also gave Hezekiah a sign that He would indeed do what He had promised, saying, “I will cause the sun’s shadow to move ten steps backward” (v. 8 NLT).
The facts related to this archeological artifact give us an encouraging reminder that the people in the Bible were learning, as we are, to call on the Lord who hears us when we cry out to Him for help. And even when His answers are not what we want or expect, we can rest assured that He is compassionate and He is powerful. The One who orders the movement of the sun can certainly move in our hearts.

Dear God, You are great and powerful, yet You care for me. Help me to believe in Your power and love, and to seek Your help always.

Call out to God; He is wanting to hear from you.

By Poh Fang Chia

INSIGHT

Hezekiah, whose name means “whom Jehovah has strengthened,” was the son of Ahaz (2 Kings 18:1), one of the worst kings of ancient Judah. Hezekiah succeeded his father on the throne, reigning for twenty-nine years. Ignoring the disastrous example of his father, Hezekiah modeled himself after his great-grandfather, Uzziah. Hezekiah’s primary impact as king was in his role as a spiritual reformer. As part of this reform he destroyed the “bronze serpent” (see Num. 21:4–9). What was once a symbol of healing in Moses’s day had become an object of idolatrous worship. Hezekiah’s reign saw a season of spiritual renewal that had a profound impact on the kingdom (adapted from Easton’s Bible Dictionary ).
God honored Hezekiah’s faithfulness and compassionately answered his prayer for healing. How have you seen God respond when you’ve cried out to Him?

Bill Crowder

Tags: God's protection
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:42am On Oct 12, 2017
we'd Jag
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 4:47am On Oct 12, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Thanks Good Shepherd

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+40%3A6%E2%80%9311]Isaiah 40:6–11[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+39%E2%80%9340%3B+Colossians+4]Isaiah 39–40; Colossians 4[/url]

He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart. Isaiah 40:11
I sat in the hospital room with my husband, waiting anxiously. Our young son was having corrective eye surgery and I felt the butterflies jostle in my stomach as I fretted and worried. I tried to pray, asking God to give me His peace. As I leafed through my Bible, I thought about Isaiah 40, so I turned to the familiar passage, wondering if anything fresh would strike me.
As I read, I caught my breath, for the words from so many years ago reminded me that the Lord “tends his flock like a shepherd” as He “gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart” (v. 11). In that moment my anxiety left me as I realized the Lord was holding us, leading us, and caring for us. That was just what I needed, Lord, I breathed silently. I felt enveloped in God’s peace during and after the surgery (which thankfully went well).
The Lord promised His people through the prophet Isaiah that He would be their shepherd, guiding them in their daily lives and giving them comfort. We too can know His gentle tending as we tell Him our anxious thoughts and seek His love and peace. We know that He is our Good Shepherd, holding us close to His heart and carrying us in His everlasting arms.
Lord Jesus Christ, You are the Good Shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep. Thank You for the gift of Your sacrificial love and for the peace that passes all understanding.

Read Oswald Chamber's thoughts on
worry

The Good Shepherd cares for His sheep.

By Amy Boucher Pye

INSIGHT

Isaiah 40 starts a significant shift in the book of Isaiah, from grief and pronouncements of judgment for Israel’s sin, to a note of rock-solid comfort (v. 1), forgiveness, and healing—based entirely on God’s mercy and goodness. When the prophet wonders whether the people are too weak and fickle for this message, he is reminded that God’s restoration is not based on them, but only on God’s powerful word (v. cool.
In fact, Isaiah 40 is the first Old Testament text that explicitly articulates the theme of “good news” (v. 9) so important in the New Testament. This good news is that God’s powerful love in our lives does not depend on us. Despite our sin, we can always rely on our merciful God who will both tenderly care for us like a shepherd (v. 11) and, like a mighty warrior (v. 10), powerfully transform our lives.
In order to trust God with our deepest struggles, why do we need Him to be both tender like a shepherd and powerful like a warrior?

Monica Brands

Tags: anxiety , God's love , peace
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2017
givers heart
Re: 10 TACTICS OF THE ADVERSARY & POWER TOOLS FOR CHRISTIANS TO OVERCOME THEM by Nobody: 10:42am On Oct 13, 2017
Our Daily Bread

Read: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John+1%3A35%E2%80%9342]John 1:35–42[/url]

Bible in a Year: [url=http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Isaiah+41%E2%80%9342%3B+1+Thessalonians+1]Isaiah 41–42; 1 Thessalonians 1[/url]

Jesus looked at him, and said, . . . “You will be called Cephas” (which, when translated, is Peter). John 1:42

In the article “Leading by Naming,” Mark Labberton wrote about the power of a name. He said: “I can still feel the impact of a musical friend who one day called me ‘musical.’ No one had ever called me that. I didn’t really play an instrument. I was no soloist. Yet . . . I instantly felt known and loved. . . . [He] noticed, validated, and appreciated something deeply true about me.”

Perhaps this is what Simon felt when Jesus renamed him. After Andrew was convinced that Jesus was the Messiah, he immediately found his brother Simon and brought him to Jesus (John 1:41–42). Jesus peered into his soul and validated and appreciated something deeply true about Simon. Yes, Jesus saw the failure and impetuous nature that would get him into trouble. But more than that He saw the potential of Simon to become a leader in the church. Jesus named him Cephas—Aramaic for Peter—a rock (John 1:42; see Matt. 16:18).
And so it is with us. God sees our pride, anger, and lack of love for others, but He also knows who we are in Christ. He calls us justified and reconciled (Rom. 5:9–10); forgiven, holy, and beloved (Col. 2:13; 3:12); chosen and faithful (Rev. 17:14). Remember how God sees you and seek to let that define who you are.

Lord, thank You for knowing me fully, yet loving me like no other. Help me to see others through Your eyes.

No one can steal your identity in Christ.

By Marvin Williams

INSIGHT

Renaming people was common in the Scriptures, for a name described something about the person. In Genesis 17:5–15 Abram is renamed Abraham. Abram , which means “exalted father,” became Abraham, “father of multitudes.” Abraham’s grandson Jacob, whose name means “heel-grabber” and “schemer,” was renamed Israel, “prince of God.” The despondent Naomi asked her neighbors to no longer call her Naomi (delightful), but Mara (bitterness) because of the hard life she had experienced (Ruth 1:20). In the New Testament, a Christ-follower named Joseph was called Barnabas by the apostles (Acts 4:36). Barnabas means “son of encouragement,” which perfectly captured this man’s interactions with other believers and with the church.
What name would describe you as a follower of Christ?

Bill Crowder

Tags: forgiveness , God's love

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Blogs Of Ex-members Of Christ Embassy Church? / SEX SCANDAL: Husband Writes Bishop Oyedepo, 'your Pastor Has Snatched My Wife' / How Many Of Billions Of Christians On Earth Do You Think Would Make Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.