Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,745 members, 7,820,572 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze (1726 Views)

I Rejected Jonathan’s Offer Of Interim VP – Tinubu / Ribadu-i Rejected Apc's Pressure To Stay / Nwabueze Blasts Jonathan For National Conference Committee Nomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by homesteady(m): 1:13am On Oct 15, 2013
Foremost constitutional lawyer
and leader of The Patriots, Prof.
Ben Nwabueze, yesterday
explained that he opted out of the
National Conference Advisory
Committee because of long battle
with prostate cancer.
The elder statesman was
nominated by President Goodluck
Jonathan as a member of the 13-
man committee to formulate
modalities for the convocation of a
national dialogue, but he excused
himself in a letter to the President
on October 2. Nwabueze
explained that he would be
abroad “for medicals and may be
away from Nigeria for some time,”
and suggested another elder
statesman, Chief Solomon
Asemota (SAN), as his
replacement.
Disclosing the nature of his
ailment in a statement made
available to National Mirror
yesterday, the former Minister of
Education and Youth
Development said he had to cut
short his stay in London for
medicals and returned to Nigeria
last Saturday to keep a long-
standing commitment to chair the
Anambra Literary Creativity
Festival at Awka scheduled for
today. He added that he would be
back in London after the Awka
engagement to continue his
medicals.
The statement reads in part: “It is
not generally known to people
that I have been fighting prostate
cancer for some years now, and
have been kept going by
consultations from time to time
with and treatment by a
Consultant Oncologist at Charing
Cross Hospital, London.
“My appointment with the
Consultant Oncologist had been
shifted many times because of
several postponements in the
dates of The Patriots meeting with
President Goodluck Jonathan and
the National Summit at Uyo, both
of which eventually took place on
29 August and 3/4 September
respectively, leaving me free at
last to travel to London on 8
September for my medical
appointments.
“After The Patriots fruitful
meeting with the President, a
member of our team who has
access to him on a personal basis
was mandated to go back to get
him to set up the Committee on
the National Conference of which
he had earlier given a hint.
“My understanding from the
contacts with him was that The
Patriots would be asked to
nominate a member to the
committee. I never expected to be
appointed chairman or member of
the committee, and would, quite
frankly, have considered such an
appointment inappropriate in the
circumstances.
It is an appointment for a younger
person, not for an old man of 83
years afflicted by ill-health.”
Nwabueze assured the
commitment of The Patriots to
work with the committee and to
give it all necessary assistance, if
called upon to do so.
He said: “While still in London
and before the setting up of the
Presidential Committee was
announced, I wrote to 13
prominent lawyers and political
scientists to join me in a
committee to prepare a Draft
People’s Constitution which will
be submitted for deliberation at
the Uyo National Summit when it
re-convenes in terms of
Paragraph 7 of the communiqué
adopted at the 3/4 September
meeting, and thereafter to be
presented to the Presidency and
the National Assembly as a
working paper for the National
Conference proper.
“This is the area in which I think
my contribution to the work of the
conference would be particularly
useful, and I do not see this as in
any way conflicting with the
Terms of Reference of the
Presidential Committee, although
they (i.e. the Terms of Reference)
contain a somewhat vaguely
worded item, to wit, to advise
government on legal procedures
and options for integrating
decisions and outcomes of the
national dialogue/conference into
the constitution and laws of the
nation.”

Source - www.nationalmirroronline.net/new/why-i-rejected-conference-committee-membership-nwabueze/
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Afam4eva(m): 1:23am On Oct 15, 2013
I think Professor Ben Nwabueze is just using his ailment as an excuse. I think the reason why he opted out is because he feels he was sorta demoted. How can the president appoint a certain Senator Okurunmi to head such a commitee that prof Nwabueze is a member? It's similar to what happened in 1979 when Obasanjo setup a similar commitee and asked the last professor Rotimi Williams to head when Awolowo was a member of the same commitee and Awolowo also opted out.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by ALVA001: 1:26am On Oct 15, 2013
Nice move from an elder states man, and also good work though. just hope a lot of d younger genr8tn wud learn from ds.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by tomakint: 2:10am On Oct 15, 2013
I wish him good health as he battles for survival!
@Afam4eva, I think you are totally wrong on your observations, in the case on Nwabueze, he is an octogenarian that needs to take care of his ill-health so the issue of he is a member in a committee where a junior to him is the chairman is not convincing enough! We are talking about health issues here come on!

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Nobody: 2:20am On Oct 15, 2013
tomakint: I wish him good health as he battles for survival!
@Afam4eva, I think you are totally wrong on your observations, in the case on Nwabueze, he is an octogenarian that needs to take care of his ill-health so the issue of he is a member in a committee where a junior to him is the chairman is not convincing enough! We are talking about health issues here common!
"Common"? What about come on? Oma se o!
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DaLover(m): 2:25am On Oct 15, 2013
Afam4eva: I think Professor Ben Nwabueze is just using his ailment as an excuse. I think the reason why he opted out is because he feels he was sorta demoted. How can the president appoint a certain Senator Okurunmi to head such a commitee that prof Nwabueze is a member? It's similar to what happened in 1979 when Obasanjo setup a similar commitee and asked the last professor Rotimi Williams to head when Awolowo was a member of the same commitee and Awolowo also opted out.

Your wrong, I think Ben nwabueze refuse to honour the call because he is older than Jonathan , the president. How can the president who is his junior make him a member of such a small committee,

Afam, you are wiser than this, please

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by johnobi1: 2:35am On Oct 15, 2013
Afam4eva: I think Professor Ben Nwabueze is just using his ailment as an excuse. I think the reason why he opted out is because he feels he was sorta demoted. How can the president appoint a certain Senator Okurunmi to head such a commitee that prof Nwabueze is a member? It's similar to what happened in 1979 when Obasanjo setup a similar commitee and asked the last professor Rotimi Williams to head when Awolowo was a member of the same commitee and Awolowo also opted out.
so because okurunmi his a learder go kill yourself.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Goddex: 2:36am On Oct 15, 2013
DaLover:

Your wrong, I think Ben nwabueze refuse to honour the call because he is older than Jonathan , the president. How can the president who is his junior make him a member of such a small committee,

Afam, you are wiser than this, please

Hm, na wao. . . how old are you?
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 4:12am On Oct 15, 2013
I wish Prof. good health. Going by what is written here, the National Conference is sold to the public as a referendum on sovereingty......but in truth, and behind doors, it is meant to act as a voice basket from which to insert reviews and reshape the Constitution.

Tinubu was right after all.

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 4:16am On Oct 15, 2013

A "certain" senator!

You better dawblechyeck that.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 4:26am On Oct 15, 2013
tomakint: I wish him good health as he battles for survival!
@Afam4eva, I think you are totally wrong on your observations, in the case on Nwabueze, he is an octogenarian that needs to take care of his ill-health so the issue of he is a member in a committee where a junior to him is the chairman is not convincing enough! We are talking about health issues here common!

Afam has no sense. When non-Ibo is appointed as headman it upsets their brain..........people like him soon start believing that only Ibos can qualify to lead over others.

Prof Nwabueze is an activist on constitution law, Senator Okurunmu is an activist on principles of democracy. This job is civic, not legal.

So who ought to lead it?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by homesteady(m): 6:59am On Oct 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Afam has no sense. When non-Ibo is appointed as headman it upsets their brain..........people like him soon start believing that only Ibos can qualify to lead over others.

Prof Nwabueze is an activist on constitution law, Senator Okurunmu is an activist on principles of democracy. This job is civic, not legal.

So who ought to lead it?

Oga please don't tribalize my thread! angry
What brought about the igbo talk here? undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 7:26am On Oct 15, 2013
homesteady:

Oga please don't tribalize my thread! angry
What brought about the igbo talk here? undecided

We are talking Nigerian politics here dude........everything is ethno-conscious. If you are not comfortable with it stop opening threads to discuss national politics. National Conference is about ethno interests. Get it right!
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by homesteady(m): 7:39am On Oct 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

We are talking Nigerian politics here dude........everything is ethno-conscious. If you are not comfortable with it stop opening threads to discuss national politics. National Conference is about ethno interests. Get it right!

Oga! Go and read the comments above yours, did you see anybody referring to tribes? undecided
Or are you the only ethno-conscious person here? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 8:04am On Oct 15, 2013
homesteady:

Oga! Go and read the comments above yours, did you see anybody referring to tribes? undecided
Or are you the only ethno-conscious person here? undecided

When I say its lunch time, i dont need to recite menus and recipes for people to know Im getting food...........but to people like you it needs breaking down;

A for Apple
B for Ball
C for Cat
D for Dog

........National Conference for ethnic interests!

Lunch for food
Break for relief
Club for relaxation

You get it now?

2 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Danhumprey: 8:30am On Oct 15, 2013
I think Professor Nwabueze resign due to the fact that the resposibility was enormous considering his age and health status. He need rest at this time and not to be saddled with an assignment of such magnitude.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Danhumprey: 8:32am On Oct 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

When I say its lunch time, i dont need to recite menus and recipes for people to know Im getting food...........but to people like you it needs breaking down;

A for Apple
B for Ball
C for Cat
D for Dog

........National Conference for ethnic interests!

Lunch for food
Break for relief
Club for relaxation

You get it now?

I still don't really get you! Are you speaking in tongues or proverbs? undecided
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by DuduNegro: 8:55am On Oct 15, 2013
Danhumprey: I still don't really get you! Are you speaking in tongues or proverbs? undecided

Both!

Folks that are thin skinned and feel intimidated by Yorubas should not open topics on national politics.

I will remind you again, there is no Yoruba that will support an Ibo or Hausa political interest unless doing so is in favor of Yoruba agenda. Likewise, Hausa will only support a Yoruba or Ibo if the action is a net benefit to Haisa agenda. Ibo is no different, it only seeks its own interest against the other two.

So whats too hard to grasp here? You are befuddled by a campaign to end tribalism and ethnicity in Nairaland. It will never happen.
If Nairaland is staking interest in Nigerian politics then it must not be immuned from the reality of its ethnic-rich politics.

So get off your ignorance and do one of two things

1. Stop posting on national politics topic
2. Get a thick skin and learn to stake your turf in the mud fight.

Yeye don rot!

1 Like

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by homesteady(m): 9:08am On Oct 15, 2013
#ignored cool

1 Like

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by sleekdre: 9:27am On Oct 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Both!

Folks that are thin skinned and feel intimidated by Yorubas should not open topics on national politics.

I will remind you again, there is no Yoruba that will support an Ibo or Hausa political interest unless doing so is in favor of Yoruba agenda. Likewise, Hausa will only support a Yoruba or Ibo if the action is a net benefit to Haisa agenda. Ibo is no different, it only seeks its own interest against the other two.

So whats too hard to grasp here? You are befuddled by a campaign to end tribalism and ethnicity in Nairaland. It will never happen.
If Nairaland is staking interest in Nigerian politics then it must not be immuned from the reality of its ethnic-rich politics.

So get off your ignorance and do one of two things

1. Stop posting on national politics topic
2. Get a thick skin and learn to stake your turf in the mud fight.

Yeye don rot!

Are you this dull? Running your mouth like a leaking tap... Get a plumber!!!

3 Likes

Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by homesteady(m): 9:35am On Oct 15, 2013
sleekdre:

Are you this dull? Running your mouth like a leaking tap... Get a plumber!!!
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by 99100(m): 9:48am On Oct 15, 2013
Ok sir!
Get well soon.
Health they say is wealth.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by tomakint: 2:33pm On Oct 15, 2013
payless: "Common"? What about come on? Oma se o!
Thanks for the correction my 'Mona Monkey' wink and how is your Wife? undecided
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Awakullowo: 2:50pm On Oct 15, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

So who ought to lead it?

You are absolutely right. ibos are the same, akpu4eva exhibits same traits.
Re: Why I Rejected Conference Committee Membership –nwabueze by Nobody: 6:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
tomakint:
Thanks for the correction my 'Mona Monkey' wink and how is your Wife? undecided

Olodo! How is your mummy doing?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Asiwaju Bola Tinubu's Son, Oluwaseyi Tinubu Called To Nigerian Bar (Photos) / National Bureau Of Statistics (nbs) Refuses To Pay First 28-days Allowance / Govt Created 1.6 Million Jobs In 12 Months – Okonjo - Iweala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.