Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,604 members, 7,820,162 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:42 AM

National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall (1058 Views)

'Tinubu Was Never Arrested Nor Convicted Of Any Crime In Usa' / So Amnesty International Was Right Afterall? / Ojukwu Was Right Afterall (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by mandarin: 8:10am On Oct 16, 2013
I watched the news yesterday night where President Jonathan clearly bare his heart on his National Dialogue or conference of which he said that the outcome will be sent to the national assembly for ratification. This places the current assembly at a higher pedestal to the to be constituted conference assembly.
Its either the President 'misyarn' or his intention ultimately has to do with adjusting the tenure elongation without having had to stand for a re-election in 2015. I am not supporting any party and don't belong to any party but the handwriting of Mr President is now becoming clearer.
Even if there is no tenure elongation, those finding solace in the proposed conference should begin to doubt and start asking for sovereign conference or nothing.

What are your thoughts?
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Sllowppoisoon: 8:13am On Oct 16, 2013
lipsrsealed
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 16, 2013
If you can remove sentiment out of it....and see the issues dispassionately ....you will see the merits in Tinubu's position.

GEJ just don't have the antecedent nor the political will for a SNC...

Only time will tell.

1 Like

Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Smooyis(m): 8:20am On Oct 16, 2013
Not until Nigerians forget abt religion and ethnicity and unite to fight for their rights, they should not expect any govt to give them what they want on a platter of gold.
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by ilaugh1: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2013
OP. SO the national conference is solely for GEJ's tenure elongation just because he says the outcome will be ratified by the national assembly?
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by enm(m): 8:52am On Oct 16, 2013
Right from the start it was stated that the outcome of the national conference will be deliberated on by the national assembly so I don't know where some of us are getting their information from, maybe I should blame impatience on our part to fully read and assimilate before forming opinion.

Tinibu raise some very important or should I say highlight some grey areas which to me and some of us are not news to us. During Abacha regime secondary school I was but tried my best to get information on the national conference during his regime, from the little I gather then I know that the outcome of this conference will at the end be deliberated upon by the house .

Which is also due to the fact that the house won't allow itself to be led in accepting the outcome of the national conference without amending it to suit their taste and don't forget the house is independence of the executive. Accepting to allow this confab to take place in the first, to them is too many blood spilled. So if we must criticise the executive arm of government, the house must not be spare too in the criticism don't forget they are the law maker chosen by us through election and they have the power to truncate this confab because it an encroachment on their constitutional duties.

Having a sovereign national conference or a national conference with constituent power is not beyond us at all even at this moment, only if the political parties can summon the will to order their representative in the house to allow it, I tell you even if the president has ulterior motive behind this confab he won't be able to do anything because the house will be their to check mate him and vice versa

But I will disagree with tinibu that time is not on our side . All it takes is strong commitment and strong sense of purpose from all the political parties; but the question is will they drop their political agenda and come together?

1 Like

Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 16, 2013
Smooyis: Not until Nigerians forget abt religion and ethnicity and unite to fight for their rights, they should not expect any govt to give them what they want on a platter of gold.
"If" religion and ethnicity is left off, what remains? Nigeria?
Has there ever been a "Nigeria"? What we call "Nigeria" has always been a coalition of ethnic groups with common religious affinity? (I am not talking about political boundaries)
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Kponkwem(m): 8:56am On Oct 16, 2013
Smooyis: Not until Nigerians forget abt religion and ethnicity and unite to fight for their rights, they should not expect any govt to give them what they want on a platter of gold.
This comment is misplaced.. Why always this shallow prescription when Nigeria's problem is more fundamental and structural than values and principles? Have u asked urslf why ideological revolution will never occur in Nigeria?
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by funnyx(m): 9:00am On Oct 16, 2013
A SOVEREIGN National Conference is what we need not one yeye conference that will be subjected to the manipulation of both the national assembly as well as the executive. A sovereign national conference whose representatives will be chosen by a separate voting system and whose submission will be binding on both the legislature and the executive as well as all Nigerians.
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by enm(m): 9:04am On Oct 16, 2013
ilugunboy: If you can remove sentiment out of it....and see the issues dispassionately ....you will see the merits in Tinubu's position.

Only time will tell.

Yes gej is the president and has awesome power but note that power is limited, to have SNC or a confab with constituent power he need the power of all the political leader and the unconditional cooperation of the house.

Let us look at this issue from a broader view, by doing so we will know that gej is just a piece in the game that need the input of other to perform. There are many interest that need to be cater for. We are not in a military or autocratic regime where you will be compel with force to follow a line of action if its against your will. This is democracy
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by Slizbeat(m): 9:51am On Oct 16, 2013
ilugunboy: If you can remove sentiment out of it....and see the issues dispassionately ....you will see the merits in Tinubu's position.

Only time will tell.

SNC implies the president to step down and debates will begin. How do you think he will step down??

BTW, What am in support of is an "ETHNIC CONFERENCE" where every ethnic group will send a representative to speak on their behalf and table their intentions before the panel.
Re: National Conference: TINUBU Was Right Afterall by omenka(m): 10:24am On Oct 16, 2013
funnyx: A SOVEREIGN National Conference is what we need not one yeye conference that will be subjected to the manipulation of both the national assembly as well as the executive. A sovereign national conference whose representatives will be chosen by a separate voting system and whose submission will be binding on both the legislature and the executive as well as all Nigerians.
You've said it all. Thanx.

(1) (Reply)

Hold My Husband Responsible If I Die, Wife Of Enugu Gov Tells NHRC / A Must Read-nigeria Gazette / The House Of Reps Has Concluded That Mrs. Stella Oduah Is A Serial Liar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.