Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,905 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:41 PM

Update On ASUU Strike - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Update On ASUU Strike (10094 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike / Latest News On ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Update On ASUU Strike by Evansmighty(m): 5:05pm On Oct 16, 2013
AN UPDATE ON ONGOING ASUU NEGOTIATIONS FOLLOWING TWO RECENT MEETINGS WITH VICE-PRESIDENT NAMADI SAMBO

From the Office of the Vice-Chancellor

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following two meetings (on Thursday 19th Sept 2013 and Friday 11th Oct 2013) of representatives of the AVCNU (Association of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities, led by CVC Chairman, Prof. Hamisu of ATBU) and ASUU Representatives (led by its President, Dr. N. Fagge) with the Vice-President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, Arc. N. Sambo, Minister of Education Barr. N. Wike and others, all Vice-Chancellors have been urged to inform and enlighten our academic and other staff on the following developments so that we can ensure a return to normalcy in our universities within the shortest possible time

1. Earned Allowances: The N30 billion already released will now be increased to N40 billion, and should be regarded only as first installment, and not a once-and-for-all payment. Government will top it up with further releases once universities are through with the disbursement of this new figure of N40 million, so Vice-Chancellors are urged to expedite this disbursement within the shortest possible time using guiding templates that have been sent by the CVC.

2. NEEDS Assessment Capital Money: Government was cognizant and mindful of the ability of Universities to effectively/efficiently utilize the N100 billion fund immediately, hence that figure. However, in addition to this N100 billion dedicated and already made available for 2013, N200 billion (increased from N150 billion previously agreed) will now be earmarked in the 2014 Budget as well as each of the following three-four years until the Universities are brought to world-class standard.

3. Project Prioritization: Universities will now be allowed to determine their priorities and not be “rail-roaded” into implementing a pre-determined set of projects with respect to the NEEDS assessment. Decisions are not to be centralized.

4. TETFund Intervention: Government assured that the operations of the TETFund will not be impaired, and that the regular TETFund intervention disbursement to Universities will continue, unaffected. So the NEEDS assessment capital outlays are in addition to regular TETFund intervention.

5. Project Monitoring: A new Implementation Monitoring Committee (IMC) for the NEEDS Assessment intervention for universities has been set up to take over from the Suswan Committee. The new one is under the Federal Ministry of Education and chaired by the Honorable Minister of Education. In addition, to build confidence and ensure faithful implementation and prevent any relapse as before, the Vice President will meet quarterly with the IMC to monitor progress.

6. Blueprint: ASUU was mandated to submit a blue print for revitalizing the Universities to the Vice President.

7. Official Agreement Document: A signed document would be issued very soon to itemize the full issues on which this present consensus outlined here, brokered by AVCNU, has been reached.

8. An Appeal to Call Off Strike: The Vice-President Sambo appealed to ASUU to call off the strike and apologized for the "take-it-or-leave-it" comments credited to the Hon Minister of Finance. All other parties present at the meetings also prevailed on the ASUU leadership to consult objectively with its members to get them to agree with what is now on the table and to call off the strike as soon as possible after the Sallah break of Tuesday/Wednesday October 15/16 2013.

9. ASUU President Responds: At both meetings, the President of ASUU thanked the VP for taking over negotiations and promised to consult with his ASUU Constituency.

We keep our fingers firmly crossed, as we await both the official consensus agreement document and full ASUU reaction. Statesmanship on all sides is called for at this point in time.

Thank you.

Prof. Mobolaji E. Aluko

Vice-Chancellor

Federal University Otuoke
Report/Mark as Spam
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Hostermipo(m): 5:23pm On Oct 16, 2013
I'm just sure that we will resume one day,but when i don't . . . . . . . .
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by RINE1: 5:41pm On Oct 16, 2013
Am tired of keeping my fingers crossed, soon i 'll separate them and go for apprenticeship. Period!.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by eddiegate(m): 5:48pm On Oct 16, 2013
E too long jor..space booked..ASUU I don get job...make una go die
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Ahadeyhola: 5:52pm On Oct 16, 2013
grin
RINE.:
Am tired of keeping my fingers crossed, soon i 'll separate them and go for apprenticeship. Period!.
smiley
RINE.:
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Chinboli(m): 6:46pm On Oct 16, 2013
Am Very Much Positive D Strike Wud be Calld Off During D Weekend! Since a sum total of 10Billions has been added to d already Existing Amount! Datz a Good Moment by d Government! 4rm d statement ''and should be regarded only as first installment, and not a once-and-for-all payment'' Datz a beta reason why d strike wud be CALLED OFF or SUSPENDED!

2 Likes

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by obago(m): 9:22pm On Oct 16, 2013
ASUU...... Boys are not smiling oooooooo...

1 Like

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
I hope this is for real.... Source pls.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Eobiabo(m): 10:49pm On Oct 16, 2013
Soon is becoming forever, in this part of d world, those terms have been abused
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Nobody: 6:53am On Oct 17, 2013
Chinboli: Am Very Much Positive D Strike Wud be Calld Off During D Weekend! Since a sum total of 10Billions has been added to d already Existing Amount! Datz a Good Moment by d Government! 4rm d statement ''and should be regarded only as first installment, and not a once-and-for-all payment'' Datz a beta reason why d strike wud be CALLED OFF or SUSPENDED!
let the money be paid first... Even the V.Cs are all claiming they avnt recieved d share of the 100 billion... Nigerian Govt. Are good at talking buh no action.. I will be dissappointed if ASUU calls off the strike without getting their alerts....
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Tholudee(f): 6:59am On Oct 17, 2013
I don hear ds kain news tire...wat I want to hear is ASUU call off strike! undecided
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by drstan(m): 7:37am On Oct 17, 2013
I had a dream last night that d strike was called off, i think b4 d end of oct, we will all resume bak, ,bt i dnt want to resume because am gaining it BIG!
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 17, 2013
My God I'm on my knees,please come to the aid of students that wanna go back to school,you alone know what I'm passing through in this house cry

3 Likes

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Luxiana19(f): 8:11am On Oct 17, 2013
RINE.:

Thats what Iv been saying to myself. Wish I'd done that about four months ago. The strike maybe called off anytime soon.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by LadyJul(f): 8:25am On Oct 17, 2013
ASUU has refused to shift ground even after dis new offer. So u guys shud nt give yourself hope bcus of dis old news and am sure the strike will be called off next yr

1 Like

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by drealdoc89(m): 8:28am On Oct 17, 2013
Lady~Jul:
ASUU has refused to shift ground even after dis new offer. So u guys shud nt give yourself hope bcus of dis old news and am sure the strike will be called off next yr
whr did u hear of this?
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by tomzman: 8:38am On Oct 17, 2013
How many threads do we want to see on this same news. This is the 6th thread or so that has been opened because of the same old news.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by okeke2: 8:52am On Oct 17, 2013
No no no noo!!! i just got a job!! angryNo no no noo!!! i just got a job!!
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by wasak(m): 9:18am On Oct 17, 2013
Beloxxy: My God I'm on my knees,please come to the aid of students that wanna go back to school,you alone know what I'm passing through in this house cry
not only u.I'm also passing through hell. my Dad never sees anything good in me!!!
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by striker9(m): 9:20am On Oct 17, 2013
Let's wait and hear from ASUU,maybe Nigerian students would have cause to celebrate this weekend.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by sobastical: 10:18am On Oct 17, 2013
Call off ke? I wish but not yet must get a job first
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Nobody: 10:32am On Oct 17, 2013
ASUU make it next year please
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Yagazee: 11:04am On Oct 17, 2013
RINE.:
Lol! You are right joor.
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Yagazee: 11:07am On Oct 17, 2013
FG no send, ASUU no send. All na Nigerians. Police na thief, lecturers na thieves, VCs thieves, all of una future thieves. The only thing keeping u frm becoming 1 at present s ASUU
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Yagazee: 11:11am On Oct 17, 2013
wasak: not only u.I'm also passing through hell. my Dad never sees anything good in me!!!
Lol! Thats because u r waitin on ASUU. see u go useless o. Y dad no go complain. Go out there & make money. Must ur occupation always b student?

1 Like

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by SELENAqueensy(f): 11:54am On Oct 17, 2013
Here

Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Nobody: 11:59am On Oct 17, 2013
Yagazee:
Lol! Thats because u r waitin on ASUU. see u go useless o. Y dad no go complain. Go out there & make money. Must ur occupation always b student?
The worst is that they won't even let me work,I got a job August,but they said a job won't be necessary unless I've decided to fend for myself,it's so painful cry
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by obi4eze(m): 12:28pm On Oct 17, 2013
Beloxxy:
The worst is that they won't even let me work,I got a job August,but they said a job won't be necessary unless I've decided to fend for myself,it's so painful cry

Pele o!
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by wasak(m): 12:37pm On Oct 17, 2013
Beloxxy:
similar story here!!
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Prodigalson1(m): 1:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
Yagazee: FG no send, ASUU no send. All na Nigerians. Police na thief, lecturers na thieves, VCs thieves, all of una future thieves. The only thing keeping u frm becoming 1 at present s ASUU
baba, d future of ur entire generations til d world na thieves, mofo, happy independence bro, may ur gentle soul...
Re: Update On ASUU Strike by Richiez(m): 1:15pm On Oct 17, 2013

(1)

Fed Poly Ilaro Admission Merit List Is Out / Campus Politics, Hit Or Miss? / Governor Lamido Appeals To ASUU To End Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.