Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,903 members, 7,817,677 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:03 PM

Nigerian Fake Marriage Stopped As Couple Tries To Say "I Do" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Fake Marriage Stopped As Couple Tries To Say "I Do" (573 Views)

‘Prayer Man’ Tries To Revive Abubakar Audu, Confusion In Kogi / Alison-Madueke: Let No One Say I Stole $20bn Because I Did Not / Boy Tries To Set Mosque Ablaze In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Fake Marriage Stopped As Couple Tries To Say "I Do" by NotoriousBig(m): 5:47pm On Oct 16, 2013
Shocked guests stared at the would-be bride and groom led away in handcuffs at a registry office in Harrow, north London, UK.

When the couple almost pronounced the "I do" words during the ceremony, the immigration officers burst in on a supposed sham marriage.
[i][/i]

A 32-year-old man was sent back to Nigeria and a 22-year-old woman from Portugal has been bailed over immigration offences.

‘We believe in a fair borough and it is simply disgraceful to lie in our registry office in order to cheat the system,’ explained the situation Harrow Council leader Susan Hall. One in five marriages in urban areas is supposedly for visa purposes.

‘Most registration officers are not immigration officers, they came into this business to facilitate marriage. So therefore they don’t want to be cynical,’ Mark Rimmer of the Local Registration Services Association told Sky News.

‘Unfortunately therefore what happens is the ones that are absolutely blatant get reported and there are some that are borderline that slip through without being reported – and that is the iceberg under the water and that’s huge – it is absolutely huge.’ http://news.naij.com/49798.html

(1) (Reply)

Abuja’s Forgotten Settlements / ASUU: "We Won't Call Off Strike" / Okorocha At It Again!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.