Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,787 members, 7,956,011 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 09:16 PM

Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) (20809 Views)

Throw Back Picture Of Odimegwu Ojukwu And Wife Stella / Festus Odimegwu- Ex NPC Chairman Endorses General Buhari / Festus Odimegwu Suspended By The Federal Government (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Gboliwe: 10:07pm On Oct 17, 2013
Na wa o! The name Anya O. Anya sounds so familiar I had to google. A 76year old man! Haba, mbok, its so unfair! That man should be allowed to retire na. When will the youths be given a chance and the recycling of these old men stop?

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by badaru1(m): 10:11pm On Oct 17, 2013
I was not surprised that he was sacked, the same way he was sacked at NBL. He was chairman of NPC and not government mouth piece. Has he conducted the census to to conclude that one state is more populated than other. Govt did the right thing by removing him, already he is biased b4 the census

2 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by danjalingo: 10:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
sammy329: Good riddance to bad rubbish next time learn to keep shut on sensitive matter
what has he lost?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Oct 17, 2013
dayokanu: Cairo Mogadishu and Khartoum are in the desert and thickly populated

Phoenix is in a desert yet more populated than Any City in Florida in the rain forest

We are examining a trend across the west African region.

GENERALLY, the southern parts of the region are densly populated and this reduces the further North you go.

Also I think your examples don't cut it.

Mogadishu is a coastal city

Cairo is situated near the Nile (longest river in the world which has sustained Egyptian civilization for millenia)

You cannot use American cities to Judge West Africa's demographics as they relate to Geography.

There is a reason why the drier cities in Western USA are densely populated by European Migrants but it is not as fluid or natural as you would find in Africa. Here's a hint: Gold.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Ikengawo: 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
He's the sacrificial lamb for a GEJ Kwankwaso peace treaty/ end of the G7.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by papparatzzi2013: 10:20pm On Oct 17, 2013
When we keep telling them things are not achieved by gra gra and by boasting, they will be shouting on top of their voice that Yorubas are cowards.

Learn to act with patience wisdom and with tact.

When the north was stressing OBJ on 2nd term, he cajoled them tactful to have what he wanted and after having it, he showed them who the C-in-C is.

4 Likes

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by rusep: 10:29pm On Oct 17, 2013
patriotic007: he resigned because he said the truth about the true distribution of nigerian population.How can we say that katstina is more populated than enugu or Anambra and kano is more populated than lagos?All over the world the further away from the coast the lesser the population except Nigeria for political reasons
Becouse those mami water are impregnating your women.p
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by tomakint: 10:30pm On Oct 17, 2013
As much as I respected his gut on the past injustices rendered to past head counts in the country, I felt he allowed his emotions to take a better part of him by being too loose, however, I am too sure the next occupier of that post will do a superb job come 2016.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by telexfree1: 10:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
Garri the 1st: Good riddance to a loud-mouthed, chest-beating, smelly goat...

Lol.
At least he was worked hard enough as a private citizen and could afford to send his kids to the best schools in the the world .
Can you say the same of your father ?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 10:42pm On Oct 17, 2013
GEJ will sacrifice anybody...anything to keep his 2015 hope alive...

Festus just happened to be one of many that will still be sacrificed...

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by buoye1(m): 10:45pm On Oct 17, 2013
Na dem sabi
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by mazizitonene(m): 10:49pm On Oct 17, 2013
Jonathan wat r u still waiting 4. Ur next!.....pls join d young man
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by gratiaeo(m): 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2013
However, the noise about the
2006 census results seemed to
have died down, until last week
when another controversy was
stirred from an unexpected
quarter. The chairman of the
National Population
Commission (NPC), Chief
Festus Odimegwu, was quoted
recently as saying that the
country has not had any
credible census since 1816 and
blamed the irregularity on the
distortion and falsification of
figures for selfish and political
reasons.
He said: “No census has been
credible in Nigeria since 1816.
Even the one conducted in
2006 is not credible. I have the
records and evidence produced
by scholars and professors of
repute. This is not my report. If
the current laws are not
amended, the planned 2016
census will not succeed.
“Population forgery was done in every state, every locality and every region because politicians want to manipulate it so that they can use it during the electioneering season,” he
reportedly said, noting that the
2006 census figures were
cooked up to favour the North.
He also made reference to
Tinubu who conducted his own
census in Lagos and got 17.2
million people instead of NPC’s
9 million.
Expectedly, Odimegwu’s
statements woke up a sleeping
dog as reactions from all over
the country greeted his
statement. First,
commissioners in NPC
disowned his statements and
warned him over what they
described as “unhealthy and
image-denting comments” that
are capable of causing a crisis
and forcing NPC to derail from
delivering on its mandate.
Also, Odimegwu was accused of levelling allegations of fraud,
corruption and marginalisation
against his predecessor and
some serving members of the
commission.

Nigeria is a failed country
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by aaniagu(m): 11:02pm On Oct 17, 2013
All those accusing festus wil regret it come 2016. Of a truth, the north have the greatest say in nigeria. If it was a hausa man dat said all that, do u think he wil be removed?

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by emmalexabl(m): 11:35pm On Oct 17, 2013
Hahahaha..ODIMEGWU..Aboki must always fear that name grin grin
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by VMLTDSMS(m): 11:38pm On Oct 17, 2013
CORRUPTION:

Will this NATION called NIGERIA really WORK as one , a country where TRUTH is the a priority BITTER . FESTUS made his pronouncement which was perfectly TRUE besides HAROLD SMITH of Great Britain confirmed it that the NORTH were virtually favoured.View below:

http://haroldsmithmemorial./tv-interview/TV Interview

The Kano governor called for Festus sack because the said the TRUTH,Kano as a small STATE has upto 40 LGA but Lagos which is LARGER has lesser and other states of the federation also.

IF NIGERIA would work,we need to determine the exact population and not the exaggerated 160million as claimed ,even goat and cows were counted as HUMAN . The National Conference has to strengthen the NATION called NIGERIA if the adhoc committee are honest and want the continuity of this country were marginalization and power is a right of those who claimed to own the country NIGERIA,those usurpers.

To ascertain the exact figure of the NIGERIA population , NPC need to emulate the Nigeria Immigration data base in the Ministy of interrior ,IF U as a person secure a passport in LAGOS,your biodata will be generalized as you can view it from every state of the federation in the immigration office and IF you attempt to get a second passport,your FINGER PRINTS will be REFUSED automatically by their system.

This will be a best measure to capture the exact figure of NIGERIA population so the NPC really need to work on this instead of dragging over nothing,if this is corrected,it shall be made compulsory that every child birth must be automatically finger printed in few weeks at the POLICE STATION which is also under ministry of interrior and they shall push the result to the NPC for file.

AND every death must be registered before BURIAL RITE,this few will tackle the bogus population as claimed which we are not sure,imagine that some people will count in LAGOS as their base while their family will also count them in the village as member of the family,this are multiple counting which has trippled our population to unknown figure.

We do not need to reserve CENSUS for every TEN years,population checking is a daily routin,people die and birth everyday so NPC will need to generate perfect data base to record birth rate through finger print and death rate through compulsory registeration of death in the ministry of health then GENERAL CENSUS COULD BE DONE WITHIN THE TEN YEARS TO REVALIDATE THE FIGURE IF CORRECT or NOT.

I am watching.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by VMLTDSMS(m): 11:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
gratiaeo:
However, the noise about the
2006 census results seemed to
have died down, until last week
when another controversy was
stirred from an unexpected
quarter. The chairman of the
National Population
Commission (NPC), Chief
Festus Odimegwu, was quoted
recently as saying that the
country has not had any
credible census since 1816 and
blamed the irregularity on the
distortion and falsification of
figures for selfish and political
reasons.
He said: “No census has been
credible in Nigeria since 1816.
Even the one conducted in
2006 is not credible. I have the
records and evidence produced
by scholars and professors of
repute. This is not my report. If
the current laws are not
amended, the planned 2016
census will not succeed.
“Population forgery was done in every state, every locality and every region because politicians want to manipulate it so that they can use it during the electioneering season,” he
reportedly said, noting that the
2006 census figures were
cooked up to favour the North.
He also made reference to
Tinubu who conducted his own
census in Lagos and got 17.2
million people instead of NPC’s
9 million.
Expectedly, Odimegwu’s
statements woke up a sleeping
dog as reactions from all over
the country greeted his
statement. First,
commissioners in NPC
disowned his statements and
warned him over what they
described as “unhealthy and
image-denting comments” that
are capable of causing a crisis
and forcing NPC to derail from
delivering on its mandate.
Also, Odimegwu was accused of levelling allegations of fraud,
corruption and marginalisation
against his predecessor and
some serving members of the
commission.

Nigeria is a failed country

HE SAID THE BITTER TRUTH,GOOGLE HAROLD SMITH TO FIND OUT IF NEED BE,OUR CENSUS NEED TO BE CONDUCTED DAILY INSTEAD OF 10 YEARS AND WE MUST EMULATE THE NIGERIA IMMIGRATION DATA BASE TO HAVE A GOOD COUNT OF THE FIGURE INSTEAD OF DOUBLE COUNT.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Kingspin(m): 11:56pm On Oct 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:
Until we in the south (SE and SS) learn to play the game the way these mofos have been playing it, we'll continue getting shafted by them!
There is nothing wrong with what the man said, Pro. Jaga said the 2006 were not credible that the one of 2011 would be free and fair which is a known fact. The case of the NPC boss is never a new revelation to many Nigerians. This is a political set up by the North cos they're major beneficiary of this cook up census figure. The man's fault is that he forget his in Nigeria but, i tell you if we're ready for change in this country we should stand with the truth. We have been crying for the truth in this country and when one came by we allowed it to pass-by. This kind of truth should be supported by all meaning Nigerians. Our problems remain injustice which is not telling ourselves the real truth and whenever we got it this country would automatically see a new Nigeria. If Jaga could say it and Nigerians supported him why not Festus. Nothing is wrong with what he said but is just the mind set how Nigerians cheat his fellow Nigerians with red eye. We need true federalism which the North had always been silence about and ready to kick against it but with true federalism i tell you Kano state local govt would reduce to 24. We the masses need to watch and speak the truth always.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by ShenTeh(m): 12:01am On Oct 18, 2013
Yawah... Anyzhing zhat threatens our cooferate axistence must be axed. Anyzhing zhat threatens statas quo in Naijiriya must be shown zhe door.

Sarry, Mallam Adumegwu, this is war, and in war zhere are casualities Mallam.

Mu na tare. One Naijiriya.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by tomakint: 12:20am On Oct 18, 2013
aaniagu: All those accusing festus wil regret it come 2016. Of a truth, the north have the greatest say in nigeria. If it was a hausa man dat said all that, do u think he wil be removed?
Jonathan knows what he is doing, don't be surprised he might be the one that influenced Odimegwu's resignation just to placate the North because we need Jonathan come 2016 to finally right this wrong of our true Census figure! Trust me, the North won't get away with this, this time around!
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Kingspin(m): 12:30am On Oct 18, 2013
Hope he will not come out and deny it again.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by smsk: 1:49am On Oct 18, 2013
[quote author=0monnakoda]
I do not know whether Kano is more populated than Lagos but the flaw in Your logic is Apparent Most Nigerians and probably you will accept Kano is more populated that Akwa Ibom or Ondo or Bayelsa or even Rivers and probably every other COASTAL state in Nigeria. What des this do for your COASTAL theory. The fact of the matter is IT IS NOT TRUE and even if it were true there must me an EXPLANATION. Coasts are not made of HUMAN SPERMATOZOA. People do not eat sea sand.
Humn populations grow where there is economic activity an often this is by the Coast but NOT always. Rivers are important too and there are more River resources and better irrigation in Northern Nigeria than the South.
Finally what is the aaverage age of First pregnancy in Northern women compared to the south.Truth is there are so many variables

The major obstacle to the coastal theory is this in Nigeria the North is FOUR TIMES the size of the SOUTH and the population is roughly about 53/47 "officially" so the south is "more populated" it is just 1/4 the size. Nigeria is not a RECTANGLE like Togo or Benin
Finally about 80% of food production is in the North which is main determinant of population. NOT COASTS . People do not eat sea sand[/quote

Actually one can say the population of Kano is much greater than that of Lagos, if you consider some factors, those claiming that Lagos population is greater than Kano are using common sense instrument on their argument, by considering the number of people on the street, most families in Lagos are working class, which means they are engaged in one form of business or any other form of trade activity, more especially among the average Yoruba family, which constitute more than half the Lagos population. This is what contribute to the ever busy street of lagos which some consider as having the largest population.
Unlike Kano where the average family of ten depend only on one person for their survival which, all the other members are restricted from going out of the house. More over the average Hausa girl normally get married between the age of 17 to 25 therefore before a girl reach the age of 30 she must have given birth to at least 5 to 6 children, there by increasing the number of their population.
Also the Kano metropolis is made up of 7 seven local government which are heavenly populated, it will take one more than 12 hours to cover the hook and crannies of the streets during the day time. Most of the street which are most densely populated are the so called Kano City around the Emire's palace and its environs, are in access able using motor vehicle. Once you cross in the state boarders you can't drive 2 kilometers without seeing a settlement. The luck that we Nigerians have is that most of their population are not expose to western education like their western Nigerian counter part if not they will have infested the whole white collar job in the country.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Onlytruth(m): 2:22am On Oct 18, 2013
No matter how one looks at this, it is BAD news for so many reasons.
So, Nigeria cannot handle the truth afterall even if the very existence of the country depends on it?
Well, we shall see where all these leads.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by 0monnakoda: 3:53am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:
How do you explain the fact that Niger Republic, which is situated right above Nigeria with about 2x the landmass of Northern Nigeria, has only 18 million people?

Keep in mind that there are more incidences of drought in the North, just as we have more incidences of drought in Niger compared to Nigeria.

I don't have any explanation I am not trying to explain anything I am only interested in the facts not baseless theories or explanations.

What is the population of Ethiopia ?? 90 million which makes it second in Africa and to the best of my knowledge it has NO COAST

Democratic Republic of Congo with 74 million is number 4 and yes you guessed right IT HAS NO COAST
Compare thes two nations with their coastal Neighbours

Why is Nigeria one of the smallest landmasses in Africa the most populous.Is the Nigerian Coast the longest in Africa?
I do not know honestly but that does not mean we must then concoct or fabricate a pseudo-logical explanation . My point is that the claim that "All over the world coastal areas are more populous" is rubbish.

The fact that I cannot explain a thing does not mean we should accept ANY explanation. I am not sure of what relevance drought is to Nigeria's population? Is there drought in Nigeria? If so who is affected?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 4:15am On Oct 18, 2013
Did you know that the Nile River branches off into Ethiopia via a tributary?

Guess where Addis Ababa is close to.

Did you know that river Congo, the deepest river in the world, surrounds the top-most part of Congo?

Guess where Brazzaville and Kinshasa are close to.

Water, water, water. Population, population, population.

Stop comparing the geographies from other regions to West Africa!!!

0monnakoda:
I don't have any explanation I am not trying to explain anything I am only interested in the facts not baseless theories or explanations.

What is the population of Ethiopia ?? 90 million which makes it second in Africa and to the best of my knowledge it has NO COAST

Democratic Republic of Congo with 74 million is number 4 and yes you guessed right IT HAS NO COAST
Compare thes two nations with their coastal Neighbours

Why is Nigeria one of the smallest landmasses in Africa the most populous.Is the Nigerian Coast the longest in Africa?
I do not know honestly but that does not mean we must then concoct or fabricate a pseudo-logical explanation . My point is that the claim that "All over the world coastal areas are more populous" is rubbish.

The fact that I cannot explain a thing does not mean we should accept ANY explanation. I am not sure of what relevance drought is to Nigeria's population? Is there drought in Nigeria? If so who is affected?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by 0monnakoda: 4:22am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:

We are examining a trend across the west African region.

GENERALLY, the southern parts of the region are densly populated and this reduces the further North you go.

Also I think your examples don't cut it.

Mogadishu is a coastal city

Cairo is situated near the Nile (longest river in the world which has sustained Egyptian civilization for millenia)

You cannot use American cities to Judge West Africa's demographics as they relate to Geography.

There is a reason why the drier cities in Western USA are densely populated by European Migrants but it is not as fluid or natural as you would find in Africa. Here's a hint: Gold.

There is NO TREND in West Africa. Nigeria is aberration in the fact that it accounts for more than half of the population of West Africa with about 10% the land mass. Another difference is that we have two Major Rivers meeting in Northern Nigeria in addition to the Largest lake and SEVERAL other rivers in Northern Nigeria. Northern Nigeria Produces probably the Highest amount of millet,Shea nuts in the World . more Groundnuts and Cattle and generally more agricultural output than comparable regions in West Africa. I am not here to argue that Northern Nigeria is more populous but to say the argument being put up to claim otherwise are sentimental and wrong. We do not determine population by logical postulation but by CENSUSES.

Anyway the Southern Part of Nigeria is about four times as densely populated even according to the official census. The fact is the North of Nigeria is Four times the size of the south.
. The other issue is what do we mean by "North" . Is this Geographical North or Political North?

1 Like

Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 4:33am On Oct 18, 2013
0monnakoda:

There is NO TREND in West Africa. Nigeria is aberration in the fact that it accounts for more than half of the population of West Africa with about 10% the land mass. Another difference is that we have two Major Rivers meeting in Northern Nigeria in addition to the Largest lake and SEVERAL other rivers in Northern Nigeria. Northern Nigeria Produces probably the Highest amount of millet,Shea nuts in the World . more Groundnuts and Cattle and generally more agricultural output than comparable regions in West Africa. I am not here to argue that Northern Nigeria is more populous but to say the argument being put up to claim otherwise are sentimental and wrong. We do not determine population by logical postulation but by CENSUSES

There are several other rivers in Southern Nigeria - even more so per capita than the North.

Did you know that despite the drought in Niger, they are able to export substantial quantities of livestock and all the other foodstock you ascribe to Northern Nigeria?

Why does the population increase as we ascend to Northern Nigeria and dramatically drop right on top at Niger (which has 2X the landmass of the North)? Especially since we can establish that water attracts people and the North is drier than the South.

Also, what makes you think that the censuses we have been taking are credible?

Why did a British colonial office admit to the administration inflating the North's population per this article from Vanguard:

Our Agenda Was to "Put The North in
Power" at all cost- Mr Harold Smith, British
Colonial Officer in Nigeria b4 & after
independence
The man Harold Smith is not new in
Nigerian history. Mr. Harold Smith was a
colonial officer posted to duty in Africa. He
served in many African countries including
Nigeria. As an insider in the British colonial
system, Mr. Smith has a lot of interesting
views and ideas to provide.He is one of
the architects of colonial foundation that
midwife Nigerian independence in 1960.
I met him in a meeting three weeks ago
where he opened up a bit about the
lingering problem in Africa especially;
Nigeria unbalanced protracted social
political situations. We asked if he could
make this known to the media. His
response was “I am in my 80s now; I have
agreed but in the past ‘they’ did not want
me to say anything, but now I don’t want
to go to my grave without telling the truth
about the atrocities perpetrated in Africa
by the colonialists.
Brothers and sisters; on Ben TV last
Thursday, Harold Smith was on a program
to reveal what went behind the scene
before the independence. The Oxford
University graduate had this to say about
his role in Nigeria pre and after
independence era.
‘Our agenda was to completely exploit
Africa. Nigeria was my duty post. When we
assessed Nigeria, this was what we found
in the southern region; strength,
intelligence, determination to succeed, well
established history, complex but focused
life style, great hope and aspirations… the
East is good in business and technology,
the west is good in administration and
commerce, law and medicine, but it was a
pity we planned our agenda to give power
“at all cost” to the northerner. They
seemed to be submissive and silly of a
kind. Our mission was accomplished by
destroying the opposition at all fronts. The
west led in the fight for the independence,
and was punished for asking for freedom.
They will not rule Nigeria!
Harold Smith confessed that the Census
results were announced before they were
counted. Despite seeing vast land with no
human but cattle in the north, we still gave
the north 55 million instead of 32 Million.
This was to be used to maintain their
majority votes and future power bid. He
stated that the West without Lagos was
the most populous in Nigeria at that time
but we ignored that. The north was
seriously encouraged to go into the
military. According to him, they believe
that the south may attend western
education, but future leaders will always
come from military background. Their
traditional rulers were to be made
influential and super human. The
northerners were given accelerated
promotions both in the military and civil
service to justify their superiority over the
south. Everything was to work against the
south. We truncated their good plan for
their future. “I was very sorry for the A.G;
it was a great party too much for African
standard. We planned to destroy Awolowo
and Azikwe well, the west and the east
and sowed a seed of discord among them”.
We tricked Azikwe into accepting to be
president having known that Balewa will be
the main man with power. Awolowo has to
go to jail to cripple his genius plans for a
greater Nigeria.
However, Harold Smith justified the British
agenda of colonialism in Nigeria, which he
believed was originally to help build Africa
after the ruins of slave trade, but lamented
that the British only looked after
themselves and not after Nigerian interest.
The British really let Nigeria down. When I
see Nigerian been accused of fraud and
from what I saw on the streets of Lagos;
the British were worst fraudsters.
Looking at the northern leaders now he
said, “If they have any agenda in Nigeria at
all, sadly it is only for the north, and
nothing for Nigeria. He stated that the
British look after the British people and
this is so all over the world. He said the
time has come now to see people of
intelligent minds with an open and
inclusive agenda for all Nigerians in
power…people who will really look after
Nigerians large population…but ”I still
curiously and sorrowfully see now that the
British has not let go of Nigeria…her
wealth,. her potentials, her future. He
opined that the Caucasian people now
assert themselves as the keeper of the
“New Age” keys. He therefore said that it
is only logical for Europeans to maintain
their position of power, scientific
superiority, economic exploitation, they
must continue to perpetuate their lies and
falsehoods and this is the most unkindest
cut of all in relation to Nigeria situation!
According to him, Nigeria, a great nation
was crippled not because of military juntas
or corrupt leaders alone but by the British
and American fear of Nigeria great future.
He confessed, “The fear of the place that
will be our ‘dumping ground’ really
occupied our minds”.
Some of the things he said were not new
to Nigerians or to the whole world but
hearing it from the horse’s mouth is quite
revealing and established more reality
zones. He finally submitted that the
colonial masters have caused havoc while
they were in Africa, and planted timed
bombs when they finally left. What we see
since independence, the administration of
new internal colonial masters by fellow
Nigerians holding sway in power is doing
more damage to Nigeria. Instead of
detonating the time bombs planted by the
British, the north is planting mines.
He added that ‘It was my duty to carry out
all of the above and I was loyal to my
country, Great Britain. Nigerians should try
to be loyal to their country leaders and
followers alike. Love your country. You
have got the potentials to be great again
and the whole world knows this’.
"I am sorry for the above evil done to
Nigeria. I can’t say sorry enough……" via
VANGUARD
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by 0monnakoda: 4:35am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:
Did you know that the Nile River branches off into Ethiopia via a tributary?

Guess where Addis Ababa is close to.

Did you know that river Congo, the deepest river in the world, surrounds the top-most part of Congo?

Guess where Brazzaville and Kinshasa are close to.

Water, water, water. Population, population, population.

Stop comparing the geographies from other regions to West Africa!!!

You have failed to tell us exactly what geography has to do with population the only Logical argument is food production and in Nigeria we know where our food is produced.
There is no such thing as Geography of West Africa e.g there is no other place in West Africa on the Same Latitude as the Niger Delta
There are So many rivers in the North of Nigeria and a massive lake too. So Nigeria's geography is different. But again what does geography have to do with population in our case ,what is your theory ??
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by 0monnakoda: 4:37am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:

There are several other rivers in Southern Nigeria - even more so per capita than the North.

Did you know that despite the drought in Niger, they are able to export substantial quantities of livestock and all the other foodstock you ascribe to Northern Nigeria?

Why does the population increase as we ascend to Northern Nigeria and dramatically drop right on top at Niger (which has 2X the landmass of the North)? Especially since we can establish that water attracts people and the North is drier than the South.

Also, what makes you think that the censuses we have been taking are credible?

Why did a British colonial office admit to the administration inflating the North's population per this article from Vanguard:

Even if it is true the population decreases southward. In Nigeria the North is Four Times the size of the South. Four times there is no escaping that fact. I ask again what is the relevance of rivers to population is it food production?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 4:39am On Oct 18, 2013
0monnakoda:

You have failed to tell us exactly what geography has to do with population the only Logical argument is food production and in Nigeria we know where our food is produced.
There is no such thing as Geography of West Africa e.g there is no other place in West Africa on the Same Latitude as the Niger Delta
There are So many rivers in the North of Nigeria and a massive lake too. So Nigeria's geography is different. But again what does geography have to do with population in our case ,what is your theory ??

My theory is that there almost always a dense population where there is a large body of water.

Without exception.

My theory with West Africa proves this because the Northern part is comprised of dry Sahel while the South is coastal and filled with rivers. It makes sense that the Southern tips of West Africa be more populated and more densly filled with people than the North.

Southern Nigeria also has many Rivers, in addition to the Delta river and Confluence of the Niger river + the atlantic ocean.
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by Nobody: 4:44am On Oct 18, 2013
0monnakoda:

Even if it is true the population decreases southward. In Nigeria the North is Four Times the size of the South. Four times there is no escaping that fact. I ask again what is the relevance of rivers to population is it food production?

NIGER IS 2X the size of Northern Nigeria with less than 5 times the population. Please explain this.

You are asking what is the relevance of rivers to population?

Oh, I don't know - maybe fishes, use for localized agriculture. Bathing, drinking, basic sustenance of human life?

Sound stupid?
Re: Festus Odimegwu Resigns (Chairman Of National Population Commission) by 0monnakoda: 4:52am On Oct 18, 2013
nnenna.1:

My theory is that there almost always a dense population where there is a large body of water.

Without exception.

My theory with West Africa proves this because the Northern part is comprised of dry Sahel while the South is coastal and filled with rivers. It makes sense that the Southern tips of West Africa be more populated and more densly filled with people than the North.

Southern Nigeria also has many Rivers, in addition to the Delta river and Confluence of the Niger river + the atlantic ocean.

Why does Nigeria account for more than half of West Africa doe it have the largest body of water?
You need to refine your theory. HOW does water translate into population if not food production. Where is the food production in Nigeria
Yes there is large population in Southern Nigeria but when we say "southern Nigeria" is that a geograhical or a political south. Geography would divide any territory 50/50 but in Nigeria North /South is about 80/20 or something not far from that.

If your theory works without exception why are you then trying to say West Africa is different. You are essentially designing a theory to fit your prejudice. The reality is the only way to determine population is to count.

Your knowledge of Northern Geography is poor. There are several rivers in the North. Longer and bigger as well as a massive lake.
"Large body of water" is a meaningless phrase. more important is ; is that water useful for food production? The level of irrigation in the north is

massive and ther is next to nothing in the south

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Buhari Moves To Close Unessential Nigerian Foreign Missions / Senate Accuses Buhari Of Plot To Remove Saraki And Ekweremadu / Church Building Mishap: Akwa Ibom Governor Orders Arrest Of Contractor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.