Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 - Travel (174) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 (454876 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (501) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 12:28pm On Jan 04, 2014
Congrats Adebonje!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 04, 2014
@adebonye, that's very good man. Those security men outside must be very happy too, so they filled the form quickly cheesy that's good menh cheesy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by aekmanweb(m): 12:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
Prof Enny: I can't fit laugh at some comments I read above. Here's the interview from thursday.

VO: Good morning (They can so greet and be polite! Just like the small fine boy that was taking fingerprints at window 9)

Me: Good morning

VO: You are (she mumbled my surname and I quickly provided the others b4 she bit herself). You're going to Murray State Uni?

Me: Yes. For an MS in .............

VO: How many skls did you apply to?

Me: 3. East Tennessee State Uni Murray State Uni and Rutgers Uni

VO: What tests did you do to get admitted into Murray State?

Me: GRE and toefl

VO: Can I see your GRE (gave it to her. Grateful all 3 skls were listed on the score sheet... She didn't ask for the toefl ooo)
What degree did you graduate with?

Me: BA............ (Dey don tear me warning for house say make I no go mention my grads. U don get ms wetin you dey find again?)

VO: Which school?

Me: O.......U (Popular uni in the southwest)

VO: What have you been doing since you graduated?

Me: Left skl late 2008, did my national service btwn feb 2009 and feb 2010. Returned to Lagos, got my present job in June 2010 and I've been there since then; that's about 3 years and half now

VO: What do you do there?

Me: Its a marketing communication and PR company and we consult for a number of organisations some of who have in-house PR depts and some who don't. (No story telling. Straight to the point plus make e tally with wetin you fill for ds-160. They stare into the computer, something in your ds-160 catches their attention and they ask questions about it)

VO: Have you travelled before?

Me: Not @ all. Never had any reason to until now

VO: Who's paying your fees?

Me: My father

VO: What does he do?

Me: He's a financial investment consultant who equally runs a transport and a rental company

VO: Can I see his bank statement (Gave her the statement only, nothing else and she looked through it and passed back to me) She kinda paused for a brief while not looking at the computer but staring at me. Guess she was thinking of what next to ask but I didn't flinch, my face and smile remained the same.

VO: What do you like about murray state uni? (I thought I caught a mischievous smile on her face. In my mind I was like shuuu? Oooo ti_ee ri nnkan beere)

Me: Its a public skl, co educational, with no religious affiliation and it came tops in a list of skls that offer............... Besides, Murray has also been tipped to join the likes of Fordham and Rutgers as institutions to have earned designation as an NGO affiliated with the United Nations department of public information. (I stopped talking. Didn't want to continue since that seemed like a speech already. She dey look me like say make I continue and I took the hint) Murray is also a top tier east south central region skl with relatively LOW (word stressed) tuition fees and it offers a $6k Global Outreach tuition waiver to admitted international grad students and that was the catch. Murray also lays claims to academic and research excellence like every other skl.

VO: Okay (Those consuls can type shaaa)..........Pick up your visa on tuesday and enjoy your stay in the US (and she passes me that white grammar filled paper)

Me: Thank you. (Didn't wipe the cheesy smile off my face all through)

Observations: She didn't ask for my own bank statement, transcript, certificate, about other admits, letters, waec and the likes of what I'll do when I come back and those funny questions wey fit throw person off balance. She only asked to see my dad's statement and my GRE.

I'm so thankful to God because he made it pretty easy for me and I didn't get all those unnerving questions I'd been bracing myself for espy with my yank citizen siblings.

After God, the most of it I believe boils down to LUCK and FAVOUR in UPPERCASE, good mastery of the oyinbo language (dropped my phonetics @ home and spoke proper english) and a whole lot of confidence.

MORE IMPORTANTLY, shared experiences and member contributions on this thread did more than help to set my preparations right. For that, BIG THANKS and hugs to everyone. God bless ya'll.

NB: That chinko guy @ counter 1 wey some of una biiin give reputation actually seemed cool and was the only guy interviewing. He gave more approvals than denials all the while I was there sitting in front of him yawning and jeez! There were some yelling kids in that place.

Plus, a coupla F1 ppl I saw with Virginia International uni admits were denied. Guessing there's really something with that skl as mentioned earlier on this thread.

Prof Enny: Congrats! Though In my opinion, you are not assisting anyone else thru your transcript up here cos, all other transcripts that helped you were never abbreviated as you did. To others, pls write whatever you were asked and the responses in full not ........
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by adebonje: 1:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
Amefrica: Congrats Adebonje!

Thanks...

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 1:23pm On Jan 04, 2014
VO: what does he do
Me: blah blah blah
VO: Do you work
Me: yes
VO: where do you work
Me:told him
VO: what's ur job description
Me: told him, then I continued, I have taken a study leave so as to pursue my bsc in CIS at MSU due to lack promotion oppurtunities which the mininum requirement is a HND and all I have now is a ND.

Then he was taking his hand toward where the paper was.. First was on blue, I was scared then
VO: Pick up your visa at Victoria Island..errm.. No .. Tryin to pronounce isolo, I just stepped in to pronounce it for him
Then gave me the white paper..

Congrats bro!! How much is your school fees??
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by mosezky: 2:22pm On Jan 04, 2014
Amefrica:

OK!

Someone answered you earlier.
dey don't offer computer programming....I nid a computer training sch dat offer computer programming.........
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 04, 2014
mosezky:
dey don't offer computer programming....I nid a computer training sch dat offer computer programming.........

I don't know any!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jan 04, 2014
Amefrica:

She meant the certificate.

Bro, we needa talk.

I dey wait.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 2:42pm On Jan 04, 2014
domex007:

Bro, If I say 2012, it won't match because that's when I started working in the company sponsoring me. I will just say 2010, and if asked what I was doing since I left school I will say (which is the truth) went for 9months computer program before I started working in the company as a computer operator.. How una see A̶̲̥̅̊♍ abeg? Although, they didn't ask me this question in ♍Ɣ‎ last interview.. But can I take the photocopy of the waec result? Because I haven't colleced the original yet..

well anything you say is okay and make sure you say something the VO will dance to.

Also tell the VO that you work as a date entry clerk rather than saying computer operator
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 2:48pm On Jan 04, 2014
ferdimako:

I dey wait.

You've got mail.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 3:05pm On Jan 04, 2014
Payment of school fees will not guarantee you visa. It is advisible not to pay until you get your visa. My school told my not to pay the initial required deposit until i receive my visa.

Best of luck!

domex007: Hello House, ♍Ɣ‎ school says I can pay half ♍Ɣ‎ school fees which is $8,000 before the visa interview. ♍Ɣ‎ boss thinks it shows seriousness but I told I'm not to pay tthe money yet until I get the visa. ♍Ɣ‎ boss says it shows seriousness when I tender the receipt of payment of school fees by ♍Ɣ‎ sponsor(company). But won't the embassy think something else? Like, the applicant is too despirate? Please friends, do you know anybody that has done such thing before they went for interview? And will it increase the chances of getting the visa?? Already paid half his school fees. ♍Ɣ‎ school sent their account details to ♍Ɣ‎ mail.. What should I do?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 3:09pm On Jan 04, 2014
They will surely return the money but not the full amount, some schools only return 80% of the paid amount!

domex007:

S̶̲̥̅Ơ̴̴͡ do you advice I go ahead and pay the fees? God forbid, if denied after payment of fees, will they return ♍Ɣ‎ money? No I guess..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Tochium: 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2014
Congrats!

adebonje: Me: Goodmorning
VO: Goodmorning
VO: what are u going to do in the us
Me: To study bachelor's degree computer and information system at missouri state. university
VO:Why missouri state university

*My brain scrambles for about 6-8 seconds ( cos I forgot the first point, then I remembered)

Me:
MSU boasts of a unique educational philosopy which stresses on practical learning and extensive academic research work

MSU has received the highest level of accreditations for their programs,all the programmes in the college of business administration including computer and information system has been fully certified by the association of advanced collegiate school of business

Missouri state university has an upto date curriculum supported and inspired by IBM which I believe will enhance my understanding to achieve and compete.

VO cuts in

VO: How many schools did u apply to
Me: 4, I applied to MSU,UGA,Howard Uni and Morgan state uni
VO: How many schools accepted you
Me: I saw admission for ,MSU,UGA and howard uni, since I already had 3, I didn't check for that of Morgan state uni
VO: I know Howard uni to be a very good school,why did u choose MSU ahead of Howard
Me: I said of all the 3 unis I got their admission, the cost of attending missouri state is the lowest.Then also a point earlier about the level of accreditation they have received for their programs
VO: but howard university is a very good school to and they will also have receive all those accreditations for their programs.
Me: the cost of attending howard university is over $50,000/ year . I am not the only child, I had to put it inline with what my dad can afford comfortably
VO: u said the cost of attending MSU is cheaper
I cut in there,
Me: Sorry I didn't say cheaper, I said lesser
Then he cuts in.
VO: Who is sponsoring you education,
Me: My dad
VO: what does he do
Me: blah blah blah
VO: Do you work
Me: yes
VO: where do you work
Me:told him
VO: what's ur job description
Me: told him, then I continued, I have taken a study leave so as to pursue my bsc in CIS at MSU due to lack promotion oppurtunities which the mininum requirement is a HND and all I have now is a ND.

Then he was taking his hand toward where the paper was.. First was on blue, I was scared then
VO: Pick up your visa at Victoria Island..errm.. No .. Tryin to pronounce isolo, I just stepped in to pronounce it for him
Then gave me the white paper..

He didn't ask me for any documents during the interview

For the fact that the guy had not given about 15 people before me visa today he just passed all my he just passed my passport I-20, and the form they put pic on back to me..

I was so filled with joy that I didn't check it out until I got outside and saw that I was still with my passport..

Then I went to the waiting area lay my complaint. They filled one form for me, then I went inside, told me to go to window 10, on get to window 10, the lady collected my documents, asked me to wait, she went to confirm if I was trully issued a visa. If I was not given a white form my mistake. She came back and told me to pick up at my pick up location next week

Thank you very much for ur support and advice
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by gr8ever(m): 3:53pm On Jan 04, 2014
mosezky:

If you're looking for computer training schools, you can try NIIT or Aptech.

But if you want Bsc....

Your search should be on schools that offers Computer Science or software Engineering.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ProfEnny(f): 4:13pm On Jan 04, 2014
aekmanweb:

Prof Enny: Congrats! Though In my opinion, you are not assisting anyone else thru your transcript up here cos, all other transcripts that helped you were never abbreviated as you did. To others, pls write whatever you were asked and the responses in full not ........

That's my interview. The only things I omitted are my programme name and the skl I graduated from. Does it look too good to be true? A bit of confidence and knowing what you're saying should sail anyone through the toughest questions.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ProfEnny(f): 4:15pm On Jan 04, 2014
aekmanweb:

That's my interview. The only things I omitted are my programme name and the skl I graduated from. Nothing was abbreviated. Like I said, I didn't get very difficult questions. Call it luck if you must. Of which, you can take a hint from Amefrica's friday interview. He had a good start, VO made a cool comment on his appearance and as young as he is he was totally in control of the interview by his responses. Some of us overprepare and cram so much, get in front of the VO, get nervous and begin to stammer and answer what we weren't asked. Not my thing. When she asked me to pass my GRE I didn't do oversabi and include the toefl because it was a hundred and something score. When she asked for my dad's statement I gave just that to her even though I had some other stuff from him. Morale of story pray, be optimistc and don't get carried away by talking too much so you can look smart.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by mosezky: 5:57pm On Jan 04, 2014
[quote author=gr8ever]

If you're looking for computer training schools, you can try NIIT or Aptech.

But if you want Bsc....

Your search should be on schools that offers Computer Science or software Engineering.[/quote
boss abeg make we chat....give me any of ur social network...make we chat abeg......
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jan 04, 2014
Prof Enny:

That's my interview. The only things I omitted are my programme name and the skl I graduated from. Nothing was abbreviated. Like I said, I didn't get very difficult questions. Call it luck if you must. Of which, you can take a hint from Amefrica's friday interview. He had a good start, VO made a cool comment on his appearance and as young as he is he was totally in control of the interview by his responses. Some of us overprepare and cram so much, get in front of the VO, get nervous and begin to stammer and answer what we weren't asked. Not my thing. When she asked me to pass my GRE I didn't do oversabi and include the toefl because it was a hundred and something score. When she asked for my dad's statement I gave just that to her even though I had some other stuff from him. Morale of story pray, be optimistc and don't get carried away by talking too much so you can look smart.
what programme did you apply for in eastern Tennessee state University? Did you get any funding
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by ProfEnny(f): 7:32pm On Jan 04, 2014
slimmy05: what programme did you apply for in eastern Tennessee state University? Did you get any funding

Replying your PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by babysimzy(f): 10:11pm On Jan 04, 2014
Hello house, please I would want anyone with IELTS and SAT study materials to kindly pm me or reply here please. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Walspring: 12:34am On Jan 05, 2014
babysimzy: Hello house, please I would want anyone with IELTS and SAT study materials to kindly pm me or reply here please. Thanks

I have SAT barron 2013 edition that is for sale at a cheap price.. Reply my pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by bodeplot: 1:47am On Jan 05, 2014
Amefrica,u don go for interview,that's good,don't worry u will get the visa
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by adebonje: 8:40am On Jan 05, 2014
I don't have ielts materials, but I have Sat materials. I have kplan,official collegeboard guide. Pm me if u need it

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 9:00am On Jan 05, 2014
bodeplot: Amefrica,u don go for interview,that's good,don't worry u will get the visa

Thanks bro! Waiting for their call.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by domex007: 12:25pm On Jan 05, 2014
Happy sunday friends.. May God smile on us and grant our heart desires now and forever, amen..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Ctemi(f): 1:05pm On Jan 05, 2014
@Amefrica,congrat u wl surely receive good news frm them. Pls as an HND graduate applying 4 msc in US which transcript wl I submit?is it only HND transcript or both ND&HND transcript.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by godG: 1:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ctemi: @Amefrica,congrat u wl surely receive good news frm them. Pls as an HND graduate applying 4 msc in US which transcript wl I submit?is it only HND transcript or both ND&HND transcript.

Your school knows what they want. Send an email to them. Most good schools reply mails asap. Regards.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 05, 2014
Ctemi: @Amefrica,congrat u wl surely receive good news frm them. Pls as an HND graduate applying 4 msc in US which transcript wl I submit?is it only HND transcript or both ND&HND transcript.

Amen! Thanks sis.

Mail your school and ask them which transcript to submit, tho' most schools require transcripts from all attended post secondary school.

Goodluck!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by Idazbawz(m): 3:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
Amefrica:

Thanks bro! Waiting for their call.
i would advice yu to contact lagosstudentvisa via email. bet me, you'll get response including response from the consulars office at the same time. try that bro!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by iamchux(m): 3:04pm On Jan 05, 2014
domex007: Happy sunday friends.. May God smile on us and grant our heart desires now and forever, amen..

Amen on this one, brother!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by castrogee(m): 3:25pm On Jan 05, 2014
Dear nairalanders,
I wish to print a copy of my DS-160 which I had already submitted but I can see the column where to print it. My question is thus; how do I print a copy of a submitted DS-160.
Best.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part5 by spacebaba: 4:17pm On Jan 05, 2014
[quote author=exceedinggrace]Please house my interview is on the 9th of Jan. this is my mock interview. please feel free to constructively criticize it

me: Good morning (smiling)
V.O : good morning

V.O: pass me ur documents
me: here u go

V.o: why are you going to the US?
me: I'm going to study for my masters degree in geology

V.o: why the Us?
me: firstly, I choose the us because it has the leading technology in exploration and production of oil and gas from shale reservoirs.
secondly, bros pls what was your gre score,m pls I will like to know because I have applied to the uni of louisiana with a Gre score of 299

(1) (2) (3) ... (171) (172) (173) (174) (175) (176) (177) ... (501)

All TEF Candidates For Canada Immigration, Let's Meet Here! / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Italian Student Visa-help!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.