Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:18 AM

Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard (6461 Views)

SARAKI: Code of Conduct Tribunal Refuses Entry Of Journalists Into Its Premises / Top Ten Nigerian Biggest Investors In The Aviation Industry / Security: Delta Bans Entry Of Herdsmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by dontjealousme: 1:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
django1:

And she needed to force an agency under her ministry with a tight budget to buy not one but two outrageously expensive bullet proof cars for her? Well-done.

haba, u no need switch moniker nau... We were getting on just fine...

[size=14pt]Force, kindly prove that force was applicable to a request for security within the operations of the ministry? U guys should stop exaggerating things like illiterate.

I reiterate

Fact the cars are not her personal property.

Fact they are security vehicles belonging to the aviation ministry.

Fact Nigeria has insurgency that have even attacked the UN.

Fact Stella as minister for Aviation needs the security.[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by DerideGull(m): 1:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: I stumbled on this article on Vanguard, titled "Aviation development: A rehash of old tunes". It was written on October 05, 2013. I reproduced below parts of the article relevant to the topic.

Otherwise, how else does one describe recent hoopla that greeted Ethiopian Airlines’, ET, foray into AkanuIbiam International Airport, Enugu, two weeks ago.

It should be noted that any government serious about the development of its aviation sector would not celebrate multiple entries for foreign airlines into its territories as doing that sets the tone for death of local airlines. And for an aviation sector that is as fledgling as Nigeria’s, the multiple entries granted foreign airlines by officials of the Aviation Ministry can best be described as debilitating for a struggling economy.

The implication of this is capital flight which, before now, had been put at close to N100 billion annually. So, the wild celebration that greeted ET flight into Enugu demonstrated the lack of capacity on the part of those drawing up policies for the aviation industry.

Enugu now makes Ethiopian Airlines’ third entry point into the country, after Lagos and Abuja. Other foreign airlines enjoy same approvals from the Aviation Ministry. This makes the aviation industry the worst bleeding spot for the country in terms of capital flight.

Ideally, local airlines are positioned to feed passengers for foreign airlines but now that the international airlines are indirectly carrying passengers to virtually every corner of the country, government’s talk about assisting domestic airlines to grow amounts to policy somersault. No sane country does it.

The entry of Ethiopian Airlines into Enugu is a negative development for domestic airlines. All we have done is to give way to kill the domestic carriers; we are killing the industry gradually.

They have also succeeded in killing operations into Port Harcourt, Owerri and Asaba, as the domestic airlines are supposed to feed passengers for foreign airlines to these airports. Politically, we have scored some good points but on the other hand, we are damaging the economy,” said Capt. Dele Ore, an ex-pilot.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/10/aviation-development-a-rehash-of-old-tunes-2/

The above crap credited to one malnourished Capt. Dele Ore is borne out of bigotry instincts without suggestion that Lagos MMA should be closed down.

3 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by theshadyexpress(m): 1:39pm On Oct 18, 2013
ballabriggs: The man has made valid points as a professional, however, I do not expect any nkwobi eating bigot to understand his points. He has told you the 'crowding out' potential on Owerri, Asaba, Makurdi and even PH airports. This simply business and strategy which you may disagree with.

But to call him a tribalist for raising these valid points shows how foolish some of you may be. My family connects from Lagos to Owerri. If we fly to Enugu directly, will we then connect to Owerri from enugu. What impact on the Owerri airport?
you're an irritation to this thread pls be silent and let matured minds talk

2 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by Starlett: 2:14pm On Oct 18, 2013
Well, guys, I've followed the heated debate for a while now.. here's Starlett's take:
I appeal to our Nairalanders from the SE to cool tempers a bit. Personally I don't know if Cpt Ore meant his comments in good faith, if he was speaking out of ignorance, or if he truly is averse to any perceived competition to beloved Lasgidi. But one thing is clear, that we need to decentralize points of commerce and industry from Lagos. If only this simple Fed Govt policy to develope the South East, (coming soooo many decades belatedly) could generate such criticism from him, then imagine what would happen if other similar policies come up to further open up the South East to the world.

I personally don't think Cpt Dele Ore bears any animosity towards the Igbo. However, this goes further to show how much so many Nigerians have taken for granted that all good things in Nigeria must be situated in or around Lagos/Abuja. Wrong! And did I hear some people saying that it's not advisable for a country to have more than one or two points of intl entry/departure? I beg your pardon! London ALONE has got THREE international airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, and London City. Heathrow with 5 terminals. Countless intl airports abound in US. Virtually evey major city has got one. Houston, Dallas, NYC, D.C, Baltimore, etc etc etc.. from coast to coast!
The important thing is the ability to get airlines that will make any intl airport their base. THe Ethiopian chaps have not complained that they're running at a loss in Enugu, and I suspect that by the turn of the year, some other airlines (some of whom may already be operating in Nigeria out of other intl airports) will also rush to Enugu. Of course, El Al is a key one - GEJ is going to finalize Nig-Israel BASA in Israel this week. Who knows, perhaps five or less years down the line, those of us who have been complaining that the Igbo don't want to stay in their zone may be surprised.

7 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by ikeyman00(m): 4:20pm On Oct 18, 2013
aigbofa

How many ministers of aviation has been assassinated for doing their jobs? How many minister for that matter has ever been assassinated? What we have in Nigeria are vicious thieves, this is a country where millions live in abject poverty. $1.6 million for two cars is simply crazy.
By the way, why didn't she buy armoured Innoson SUVs

when was the last time oduduwa hausa crew had their job done shocked

Only 6 months was enuff for FFK to clear the funds and run away

they just like to criticise without being logical at all

useless opposition!

2 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 18, 2013
A-ZeD:

The author never said Enugu airport should be closed down....

His point is don't give multiple entries to foreign airlines. Arik can only land at Heathrow in the UK and JFK in the US but Ethopian airways and other foreign airlines have 3 entries points in Nigeria.

The multiple entries aren't totally the issue. Nigeria has signed a number of BASA agreements which also give Nigerian flag carriers multiple entry points to some foreign countries. So far, none of the domestic carriers have had the resources to take advantage of such policies.
However, the new national carrier would be buoyant enough to take advantage of the BASA provisions. In the same vein, Emirates airline has FIVE entry points into the US: why didn't the US airlines lobby their govt to restrict the entry points to just 2? Afterall, the 3 US 'legacy carriers'- American, United, and Delta airlines are amongst the biggest in the world; surely they would have enough local capacity to restrict all foreign carriers to just 2 entry points into the United States.

1 Like

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by remarkD(m): 6:44pm On Oct 18, 2013
Your comment is spot-on. You see, a lot of people with a hidden agenda, usually of hate and other vices, always try to use some logic or reason to cover and then broadcast it to see if it will fly.... but as they say... yaye dey smell... when it smells, then it definitely can't fly lol.

The argument of having fewer points of entry in a country is the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this topic, and it is coming from someone who knows how to use a computer? downright stup|d if you ask me.

Going further to add a lie/false claim as an example is the one that makes me believe that hate and envy is indeed self-destructive... imagine someone boldly claiming that no where else in the word does a country have multiple points of entry... I mean.... where does such people saying this nonsense crawl out from? not to wonder how many countries they have visited or known exactly how many points of entry exist....

I dunno... maybe I asking the question may be the dull one... asking for specifics from the poster might teach me a thing or two... I used to think that saying someones claims being a figment of his/her imagination was not completely true, as such a person would be able to tell reality apart from delusions... but NL has been proving otherwise lately.... stup|d and si||y numbskulls of ill repute!!!

Starlett: Well, guys, I've followed the heated debate for a while now.. here's Starlett's take:
I appeal to our Nairalanders from the SE to cool tempers a bit. Personally I don't know if Cpt Ore meant his comments in good faith, if he was speaking out of ignorance, or if he truly is averse to any perceived competition to beloved Lasgidi. But one thing is clear, that we need to decentralize points of commerce and industry from Lagos. If only this simple Fed Govt policy to develope the South East, (coming soooo many decades belatedly) could generate such criticism from him, then imagine what would happen if other similar policies come up to further open up the South East to the world.

I personally don't think Cpt Dele Ore bears any animosity towards the Igbo. However, this goes further to show how much so many Nigerians have taken for granted that all good things in Nigeria must be situated in or around Lagos/Abuja. Wrong! And did I hear some people saying that it's not advisable for a country to have more than one or two points of intl entry/departure? I beg your pardon! London ALONE has got THREE international airports - Heathrow, Gatwick, and London City. Heathrow with 5 terminals. Countless intl airports abound in US. Virtually evey major city has got one. Houston, Dallas, NYC, D.C, Baltimore, etc etc etc.. from coast to coast!
The important thing is the ability to get airlines that will make any intl airport their base. THe Ethiopian chaps have not complained that they're running at a loss in Enugu, and I suspect that by the turn of the year, some other airlines (some of whom may already be operating in Nigeria out of other intl airports) will also rush to Enugu. Of course, El Al is a key one - GEJ is going to finalize Nig-Israel BASA in Israel this week. Who knows, perhaps five or less years down the line, those of us who have been complaining that the Igbo don't want to stay in their zone may be surprised.

3 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by henrychubayo: 7:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
Starlett: Well, guys, I've followed the heated debate for a while now.. here's Starlett's take:

Very correct. 100000 likes
Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by henrychubayo: 7:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
remark D: Your comment is spot-on. You see, a lot of people with a hidden agenda, usually of hate and other vices, always try to use some logic or reason to cover and then broadcast it to see if it will fly.... but as they say... yaye dey smell... when it smells, then it definitely can't fly lol.

The argument of having fewer points of entry in a country is the most ridiculous thing I've heard on this topic, and it is coming from someone who knows how to use a computer? downright stup|d if you ask me.

Going further to add a lie/false claim as an example is the one that makes me believe that hate and envy is indeed self-destructive... imagine someone boldly claiming that no where else in the word does a country have multiple points of entry... I mean.... where does such people saying this nonsense crawl out from? not to wonder how many countries they have visited or known exactly how many points of entry exist....

I dunno... maybe I asking the question may be the dull one... asking for specifics from the poster might teach me a thing or two... I used to think that saying someones claims being a figment of his/her imagination was not completely true, as such a person would be able to tell reality apart from delusions... but NL has been proving otherwise lately.... stup|d and si||y numbskulls of ill repute!!!

True talk.
Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by talktimi(m): 8:00pm On Oct 18, 2013
49 passengers & crew die in plane crash in Laos. Stella Oduah held responsible due to incompetence & too much make up. Sack am sad
Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by cjrane: 6:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
I incidentally stumbled on an article talking about the world population and infrastructure to support it. I particularly noted the countries functional International entry and exit airports and i almost screamed! For its population and landmass,Nigeria had about the lowest entry or exit international airports! Little wonder our International airports are chaotic and very stressful for those unlucky enough to plan overseas trip from Nigeria!
I noticed that Nigeria was indeed much larger than many countries on the list and yet had lower per-capita of international entry/exit points! Was this a legacy of many years under prolonged military rule,with the paranoia of dictators that more than one or two entry points for a country of more than 100 million people could endanger their military juntas? Even the much more poorer Bangladesh carved out of Pakistan had 4 International entry points!
The point here being that i also realized that those against Enugu Intl. airport were deliberately doing so not because Nigeria had more International entry points than it should for its size and population, but because they had something against the people of that region where Enugu Intl. is located.

See for yourself the list of 12 most populous countries and the number of functional international entry or exit airports they have and compare them to Nigeria's.
[size=14pt]

1. China: 1.3 Billion people. Number of International Airports: 46

2. India: 1.2 Billion people. Number of International Airports: 27

3. United States of America: 316 Million people. Number of International Airports: 158

4. Indonesia: 237 Million people. Number of International Airports: 12

5. Brazil: 201 Million people. Number of International Airports: 33

6. Pakistan: 184 Million people. Number of International Airports: 9

7. Nigeria: 173 Million people. Number of International Airports: 5

8. Bangladesh: 152 Million people. Number of International Airports: 4
9. Russia: 143 Million people. Number of International Airports: 11

10. Japan: 127 Million people. Number of International Airports: 5

11. Mexico: 118 Million people. Number of International Airports: 56

12. Philipines: 99 Million people. Number of International Airports: 12

[/size]

5 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by Nobody: 6:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
I think Nigeria needs about 6-7 international entry points. I don't think it would be viable to have 10 or more entry points in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by rosebowl01(m): 6:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
Opening up Akanu Ibiam to Int. flights is supposed to be a welcome news to all Nigerians. It signals that the country is taking giant steps to becoming a business hub in Africa. It signals that we are moving towards advancement as a nation.
I don't understand this complaint at all. It is just plain stupid.

5 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by WarriPikin1: 7:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
O'l boy, my last trip to Germany through Lagos was hellish. It took me more than 2 hours just to check in my luggage. Travelers were everywhere! Just too many people! The same thing at the immigration bench, the line was very long and frustrating.

When i got to Frankfurt, it took less than 10 minutes for me to exit the airport. My business also took me to Hanover, Hamburg and Cologne and i spent less than 10 minutes in each airport in spite of my Naija passport and other International flights coming in every second.

I think the problem with Nigeria is that instead of concentrating on how we can make the life of our fellow citizens easier, we focus more on how to make life unbearable for fellow Nigerians. Forgetting that if life is unbearable for your neighbor, as long as you remain in the same compound or street, life will also be unbearable for you.

3 Likes

Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by Nobody: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
@ Warri pikin: The Lekki airport would come on stream in 2018, and will have an initial capacity of 3 million passengers per year. The FG is also constructing an additional international terminal at MMA, which will have a capacity to handle 8m pax/year.
Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by eaglechild: 7:19pm On Oct 23, 2013
masu: if we are to go by the logic we found in the writeup "to help local airlines survive"

1) close down lagos international wing and kano airport elts use Abuja and Enugu alone as entry point.
since lagos and kano are host to close to 20mil Nigerian we espect that local airlines will fair better conveying passengers from Enugu and Abuja to far north and west.

wickedness is cancerous
Epic.
Re: Entry Of Ethiopian Airlines Into Enugu Will Kill The Aviation Industry- Vanguard by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
Showing their true colors. Make dem come win election for south east na we dey wait

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mosundi Demands Niger Delta Peoples Republic. / Missing Ex-cult Leader Found Dead Cult Members Killed Him (PICTURED) / Breaking : Benue State Returning Officer For INEC Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.