Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,109 members, 7,835,747 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 02:16 PM

What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction (7862 Views)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater / Army Hands Over 275 Victims To NEMA / NEMA Launches Nigeria's Air Ambulance, First Of Its Kind In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2013
I guess it has gone down the DRAIN
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 12:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
They try small
For example in od city we experience something of such
Don't know if it will be more than that of last year only the God and the remain of the year will tell
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by buoye1(m): 12:29pm On Oct 18, 2013
It's just a sign to you all that only GOD speaks and comes to past...........!!!!!!!
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 12:30pm On Oct 18, 2013
God had mercy on nigerians and saved us. Thats what happened
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by nerodenero: 12:33pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bishop4bella: Man propose God dispose. If u support me click like.
Next time,dont beg for likes!It doesn't add anything to you.If people like your post,you will get likes for it and if they dont,you dont get any.Grow up dudegrin
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 12:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
Pukkah: This is a good question which NEMA should address else people won't take them seriously anymore.

Someone tells you, there will be power surge in your street next week, that electrical appliances will be burnt, homes, and lives could be lost.
You herd the news, ran to the nearest electrical store, bought all the necessary gadgets to arrest such occurrences, called a technician to properly "earth" your home, educated neighbors, family members on the dangers, insured your home etc
Now you wait...
You heard of "surges" but it didn't get to your street, you see the pics of its effects on your tv, yet you say the prediction was wrong!!

What can I call you?

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by rickymartin: 12:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
but, on a serious note, you can't just make doomsday predictions like that when you know people will panic and take panic-induced actions that could cause them to lose as much as they would have if the disaster did happen.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
kaeyame:

Someone tells you, there will be power surge in your street next week, that electrical appliances will be burnt, homes, and lives could be lost.
You herd the news, ran to the nearest electrical store, bought all the necessary gadgets to arrest such occurrences, called a technician to properly "earth" your home, educated neighbors, family members on the dangers, insured your home etc
Now you wait...
You heard of "surges" but it didn't get to your street, you see the pics of its effects on your tv, yet you say the prediction was wrong!!

What can I call you?
What if you used your entire life savings to take those precautions because you were told your home would be affected?
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Iolo(m): 12:54pm On Oct 18, 2013
POLICE CAP: [size=14pt] Last year the flood took nigerians by surprise because such has never happened in the country despite prior warnings from foreign countries.
By this year everybody was prepared and NEMA wanted taking credit for the pre-information. They even predicted that this year's flood is going to be greater than last years...
Now, my question is: should we still expect the flood and when?

N/B: for those who have difficulty in understanding, I'm not praying for flood thou, I'm just wondering how a professional body would make wrong predictions after research.
[/size]

The bulk of the flood was as a result of Cameroon opening up their dam along the river benue route. They opened the dam to release water that had accumulated from heavy rainfall.

All weather forecasts anywhere around the world are predictions and may be off by some margin or not even occur at all.

It's within NEMA's purview to make predictions to enable the government implement whatever strategies it would to alleviate the flooding based on what it perceives to be true for the upcoming rainy season.

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by njuwo(m): 1:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
D op name na police cap. So as police wan join strike dis guy cum turn blogger sharperly.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by fuke(m): 1:13pm On Oct 18, 2013
Bereal247: The statement credited to NEMA is called prediction because it's enshrouded in probability. In all probable event there is always the chance that it may not happen which is what we are experiencing/have experienced.

Prediction in science ?

Only prophets predict.

Before they said sunch they must have enough empirical
evidence from research to extrapolate.

We do not expect them to be 100% accurate but the
margin of error is too wide.

2 Likes

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by PapiDShipCapt(m): 1:19pm On Oct 18, 2013
Assumption is a sin
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 1:53pm On Oct 18, 2013
A danger was averted because of timely warning. It seems some are not happy it was averted because they are used to reading scarring headlines.

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 2:04pm On Oct 18, 2013
Trojavirus: A danger was averted because of timely warning. It seems some are not happy it was averted because they are used to reading scarring headlines.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by whatofyou: 2:45pm On Oct 18, 2013
NEMA should come out and apologise to those who believed they were acting out what they knew. Had I wagered with an engineer friend that drills water for a living when he called the prediction a crap after giving so many scientific reasons, I done lost heavily. In fact, I will need that man to direct NEMA if I had my way. I relied heavily on what they said, now I know better. To think NEMA even gave us an advance warning to prepare for the worst. Sighs.
Flooding is not a new thing to several parts of the country. But last year, with the rate the rains came (even in our area) day in day out, one did not need the gods to tell us something big was about to fall into our hands. Some say that the Camerounians caused it by opening the dam. What if they had not opened the dam and the weight and pressure of water became unbearable for the dam? Will the last not have been worse than the first?
NEMA needs to be sanitized. The worst is what has the government done to minimize the damages of future occurence? We also need to be cautious, especially those living along the coast. How ready is we?
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by dheaven: 2:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
NEMA = NAMA
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by HAH: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2013
NEMA and NEMET must wak now if they don't creat the panic will they receive enough allocation to chop ?, certainly with the panic created funds must have been allocated and they have used the funds to stop the rainfall LOL
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by alolatee(m): 3:28pm On Oct 18, 2013
wesley80: Does Ondo state have communities with coastal boundaries along River Niger and Benue? Did Ondo state suffer from the devastating floods of 2012? If your answer is no then we are talking about different things.God deserve the credit also.i Can't but agree with you Passion007.Pastor Adeboye in his yearly national and international predictions of events usually say if we can pray those bad natural disasters loke flooding will be averted by God.moreso data analysis in meterology agencies may be accurate atimes but events may outwit the efforts of these agencies.For example, a flood build up by studying the wind direction may appear to build up in certain areas but may actually bring about wrong signal on the screen of the devices used in forcasting.A clear case was the recent report of a Russian officer who heard a wrong signal from a satellite warning system but has to detect it was a wrong warning from the satellite and that prevented US/Russia war.I wholeheartdly support you Passoin007 [quote author=wesley80] Does Ondo state have communities with coastal boundaries along River Niger and Benue? Did Ondo state suffer from the devastating floods of 2012? If your answer is no then we are talking about different things.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 4:51pm On Oct 18, 2013
grin
amiable4real: NIMET should sit up and take their mandate seriously to ensure that their predictions are accurate, otherwise they will lose their credibility and no one will ever believe them. I can bet you, if by 2014 they come up with predictions of heavy rains and flooding, people may not likely take them serious. Peradventure, the rains come heavily with serious flooding and without adequate preparation like in the past, your guess will be as right as mine. God helping us!!!!!. A country with no direction.
what is nimet na?
amiable4real: NIMET should sit up and take their mandate seriously to ensure that their predictions are accurate, otherwise they will lose their credibility and no one will ever believe them. I can bet you, if by 2014 they come up with predictions of heavy rains and flooding, people may not likely take them serious. Peradventure, the rains come heavily with serious flooding and without adequate preparation like in the past, your guess will be as right as mine. God helping us!!!!!. A country with no direction.
what is nimet na? English or american??
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Adola1(m): 5:07pm On Oct 18, 2013
Is it NIMET OR NEMA cos weather prediction comes from NIMET not NEMA
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by DonMagicJuan: 5:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
POLICE CAP: [size=14pt] Last year the flood took nigerians by surprise because such has never happened in the country despite prior warnings from foreign countries.
By this year everybody was prepared and NEMA wanted taking credit for the pre-information. They even predicted that this year's flood is going to be greater than last years...
Now, my question is: should we still expect the flood and when?

N/B: for those who have difficulty in understanding, I'm not praying for flood thou, I'm just wondering how a professional body would make wrong predictions after research.
[/size]

NEMA does not predict floods or any adverse weather but relies on advice from Nigerian Meteorological Agency. NIMET, under the administration of Tony Anuforum has lost any sense of professionalism as every policy, activity has been politicized.

Dr. Anuforum was imposed on NIMET by the then Minister of Aviation, Dr. Kema Chikwe and after the retrenchment of the then innagural DG, Mr. Akeh, Annuforum was able to lobby his way as DG.
Today NIMET is more about contracts and recruitment to political associates and their relatives.

The SRP (Seasonal Rainfall Predictions) are being handled by mediocres with little or no pre-requisite training or experience and their output forecasts are based on remote models not developed by the NIMET but by global models.

Annuforum is fraud and a mediocre and adopted the Dora Akinyuili model of crying wolf.

The National Weather Center at the Nnamdi Azikiwe Int'l airport just serves as a welfare scheme for political associates relatives and their girlfriends.

This is jus the tip of the iceberg

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by abwilly: 5:26pm On Oct 18, 2013
Not only NEMA predicted, the commissioner for environment in Lagos State too predicted that we should be prepared for about 280 days of heavy rains this year and that those living near river watersheds should vacate (a plot to chase people and take over to build personal estates).
In this age and time, where digital wireless weather prediction station equipment are being sold for less that $300, a whole organization or state ministry still depends on predictions like the pastors that only imagine the expected and confuse people as authorities.
God will save us but science will teach us. Amen
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by DonMagicJuan: 5:27pm On Oct 18, 2013
NIMET does not have a functional or proven local prediction model.

There are hardly any scientist in NIMET but civil servants. The agency is a mess as mediocrity due to excessive politicization of administration has become a day to day reality. The only departmental sections that are still professional is the Aeronautical Section which happens to generate well over 95% of NIMET IGR but sees little or no re-investment or training.

The NIMET management spent 50million Naira early this year to launch their SRP for 2013. The SRP release was held at NICON Transcorp for 3 Days.

Apart from Abuja, Port-Harcout and Ikeja airports all other NIMET aerodrome stations still remain in the colonial era and it is important to note that all the improvements in these aforementioned airports were necessitated by FG intervention ( safe tower project) due to a series of air crashes
that were blamed solely on the inability of NIMET to appropraitely report and predict the weather at the nations airports.

Today, NIMET is the only scientific/technical agency that has more support staff than core profesionals.

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by DonMagicJuan: 5:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
So next time you hear any advice or prediction from NIMET takes it as nonsense.
The 2012 prediction was vague and did not specify exactly when or where floods will occur. The Forecast was based on global ENSO predictions which is like forecasting snow in winter.

The Irony of NIMET and failures is that Nigeria ranks very high global in terms of Meterorologists.

The likes of late Prof. Obassi of WMO, Prof Adebiui, Prof Omotosho (FUTA), and Prof Adefulalu were all fustrated out of NIMET but are considered as world class meteorologists with several proven and working papers/models.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by DonMagicJuan: 5:43pm On Oct 18, 2013
Iolo:

The bulk of the flood was as a result of Cameroon opening up their dam along the river benue route. They opened the dam to release water that had accumulated from heavy rainfall.

All weather forecasts anywhere around the world are predictions and may be off by some margin or not even occur at all.

It's within NEMA's purview to make predictions to enable the government implement whatever strategies it would to alleviate the flooding based on what it perceives to be true for the upcoming rainy season.

I happen to have over 15 years as a professional meteorologist.
Rainfall frequency and amounts necessitated the opening of the dams. NIMET should have been able to predict rainfall anomalies over the Cameroonian border regions.

The hydrological section under the Department of Applied services is populated by geographers who dont know their a33 from their mouth
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 18, 2013
BigBen10: Can a people who dont even have common weather stations all over the country make accurate predictions? They only rely on foreign satelites which will only give regional data.

We need weather stations on every telecommunication mast in nigeria to get accurate weather data for predictions.

I and some of my naija guys in conjunction with oyibo from holland have started somethings small already. It will only take federal govt commitment to help complete the initiative.

check the links below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrtAe3w7kw
http://tahmo.info/sensor-design-competition
and our facebook page
TAHMO Initiative
I like dis bt its like its closed now! and it looks like brain fishing grin dats what our Universities in Nigeria suld be doing, those pple wu culd not get admision to our uni culd stil contribute to knoledge imensly! I wuld have loved to be part of dat compettn.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by DonMagicJuan: 5:50pm On Oct 18, 2013
BigBen10: Can a people who dont even have common weather stations all over the country make accurate predictions? They only rely on foreign satelites which will only give regional data.

We need weather stations on every telecommunication mast in nigeria to get accurate weather data for predictions.

I and some of my naija guys in conjunction with oyibo from holland have started somethings small already. It will only take federal govt commitment to help complete the initiative.

check the links below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrtAe3w7kw
http://tahmo.info/sensor-design-competition
and our facebook page
TAHMO Initiative

What we need is upper air soundings (especially in the south), Doppler RADAR networks and accurate LAMS that take into consideration orography, hydrology and topography.

Automatic ground stations will only provide temperature (which does not vary significantly apart from dew-point temperatures which is necessary for determining ITD position which in turn can easily be interpolated from the existing sparse network), pressure (which is hardly a factor in tropical meteorology) and wind (which is only significant over rain producing high grounds).
Precipitation data is invaluable in predetermining cumulative rainfall and deriving necessary algorithms in predicting precipitation outputs from satelite and radar imageries.

The best options is to improve on hydrological and rainfall observations.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by nkpommpko(m): 5:56pm On Oct 18, 2013
I beg leave all this people na try your luck them dey do
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by simdam500(m): 6:16pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oladiran: It is very possible to be in a situation where you see a serious wind blowing towards you and you are so certain the wind will reach you and destroy you(dat is your prediction), then all off a sudden the wind changes direction and everyhing with you becomes absolutely normal, no more live treatning situation(that is reality)!
seconded but seriously, did anybody understand where this damsel is headin towards

(1) (2) (Reply)

#OpenOilLicense Nigeria losing revenue from the President’s discretionary powers / Americans And Brits Fight On Twitter / Pdp Gains Early Lead In Ondo South With Huge Margin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.