Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,900 members, 7,814,045 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction (7853 Views)

Flood Alert: Alpha Beach Is Underwater / Army Hands Over 275 Victims To NEMA / NEMA Launches Nigeria's Air Ambulance, First Of Its Kind In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by POLICECAP: 6:56am On Oct 18, 2013
[size=14pt] Last year the flood took nigerians by surprise because such has never happened in the country despite prior warnings from foreign countries.
By this year everybody was prepared and NEMA wanted taking credit for the pre-information. They even predicted that this year's flood is going to be greater than last years...
Now, my question is: should we still expect the flood and when?

N/B: for those who have difficulty in understanding, I'm not praying for flood thou, I'm just wondering how a professional body would make wrong predictions after research.
[/size]
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by JECBOSS: 7:07am On Oct 18, 2013
I think NEMA's flood prediction is part of the transformation agenda of Mr President. If it had happened, there wouldn't be a BREATH OF FRESH AIR. Don't ask me how because I don't know!

2 Likes

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by modextus(m): 7:12am On Oct 18, 2013
Exactly my thought for sometime now...last years flood was obvious

They knew quite well that if the Cameronian govt opens its dam nigeria would be flooded
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Pukkah: 7:44am On Oct 18, 2013
This is a good question which NEMA should address else people won't take them seriously anymore.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 7:47am On Oct 18, 2013
The statement credited to NEMA is called prediction because it's enshrouded in probability. In all probable event there is always the chance that it may not happen which is what we are experiencing/have experienced.

6 Likes

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 7:57am On Oct 18, 2013
I personally believe the farcical prediction is enough for someone to lose his job. You guys need to understand the level of distortion this prediction caused in riverine communities that experienced last year's traumatic floods. Accomplished farmers refused to plough their land for fear of losing their crops as they did last year with most resorting to cultivating only basic quick maturing crops, needless to say lots of households bore the brunt of a baseless prediction. I know of at least one large scale plantain farming family that makes close to a 100k in weekly harvests and suffered the devastation of last years floods but had to sit out this farming season due to those warnings, they are now neck deep in debt!
I've seen data collected from an ongoing nationwide research on rice cultivation and of interest was the lack of cultivation of the crop in certain local goverments in Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers state that hitherto had an appreciable number of rice farmers, I'd thought those areas were not covered due to accessibility but was told farmers there had to shelve their planting plans due to the flood warnings - we are talking of entire local governments in at least thrre states here! You can extrapolate on the combined effects of the warning on entire farming communities along the coast of the Niger and Benue that had no choice but to sit out the farming season.
The question remain: on what basis were this warnings issued? Did these guys have the capacity to issue warnings a year ahead ( the warnings were issued before the rains started!). Last years flood was the worse in living memory, I remember an old man while recounting the story said he'd marked on the wall of his fathers the extent of the greatest flood he'd witnessed that occured during the civil war (1967) as at when he was speaking, his entire house was already under water! To put it in context, NIMET's warning said this years floods would be greater than last years! Now do you understand the level of apprehension these people were needlessly put into especially as state and local government authorities had to drum this into their ears believing they were preparing them for the inevitable?
I believe NIMET should be made to answer some very serious questions here. What went wrong? Who goofed? Who's the alrmist that doesnt deserve tax payers money? The DG ought to talke some responsibilty and apologise for distorting peoples lives bigtime.

15 Likes

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 8:04am On Oct 18, 2013
Bereal247: The statement credited to NEMA is called prediction because it's enshrouded in probability. In all probable event there is always the chance that it may not happen which is what we are experiencing/have experienced.
My dear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The level of scaremongering adopted by NEMA would be leading to serious litigation in advanced climes. People were given the impression of a Clear and Present Danger!
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 8:30am On Oct 18, 2013
It is very possible to be in a situation where you see a serious wind blowing towards you and you are so certain the wind will reach you and destroy you(dat is your prediction), then all off a sudden the wind changes direction and everyhing with you becomes absolutely normal, no more live treatning situation(that is reality)!
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by passion007: 8:31am On Oct 18, 2013
NEMA prediction for SW:

In the South West geo-political zone, the prediction revealed that Saki and Ibadan in Oyo State; Ondo and Akure in Ondo State, Ijebu Ode in Ogun State are expected to experience excessive rainfall.

Did it happen?

https://www.nairaland.com/1450926/24-hours-nonstop-rainfall-ondo

https://www.nairaland.com/1450894/torrential-rain-paralyses-activities-ibadan
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by passion007: 8:36am On Oct 18, 2013
wesley80: My dear you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The level of scaremongering adopted by NEMA would be leading to serious litigation in advanced climes. People were given the impression of a Clear and Present Danger!
There was no scare mongering. NEMA stated the fact. Sometimes, we don't give our local efforts enough credit.
I was in Ondo at the time, and at least 6 families around me were displaced. There was heavy flooding all over the place. Snakes found their way into people's homes. The danger was indeed clear and present. So much so, private property owners began digging/ clearing their drainages, the State Govt began dredging the rivers around residential areas and kind neighbors provided temporary shelter for those displaced.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 8:46am On Oct 18, 2013
Ok
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 9:08am On Oct 18, 2013
passion007:
There was no scare mongering. NEMA stated the fact. Sometimes, we don't give our local efforts enough credit.
I was in Ondo at the time, and at least 6 families around me were displaced. There was heavy flooding all over the place. Snakes found their way into people's homes. The danger was indeed clear and present. So much so, private property owners began digging/ clearing their drainages, the State Govt began dredging the rivers around residential areas and kind neighbors provided temporary shelter for those displaced.
Does Ondo state have communities with coastal boundaries along River Niger and Benue? Did Ondo state suffer from the devastating floods of 2012? If your answer is no then we are talking about different things.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by passion007: 9:35am On Oct 18, 2013
wesley80: Does Ondo state have communities with coastal boundaries along River Niger and Benue? Did Ondo state suffer from the devastating floods of 2012? If your answer is no then we are talking about different things.
Are you saying only coastal towns and cities were affected by the 2012 flood?
Because it's on record inland cities were similarly affected. Ibadan, for instance.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 11:17am On Oct 18, 2013
I'm not talking about your flooded streets and drainages I'm talking about covered houses and completely submerged local government areas. Do we sound like we are talkin about the same thing?
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by passion007: 11:30am On Oct 18, 2013
wesley80: I'm not talking about your flooded streets and drainages I'm talking about covered houses and completely submerged local government areas. Do we sound like we are talkin about the same thing?
The topic is about NEMA's flood prediction in genreal, both inland and costal.
Narrow it down to strictly coastal flooding, and I would not have commented as I don't reside in a coastal area.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by meracool(m): 11:39am On Oct 18, 2013
Yes.. It is A Prediction.....

Not all Prediction Come to Life
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by tbagjames(m): 11:40am On Oct 18, 2013
precautional measures were taken unlike last year when the rains took us by suprise

2 Likes

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Sllowppoisoon: 11:41am On Oct 18, 2013
tongue
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by ojoko1(m): 11:41am On Oct 18, 2013
simple. The predictions were carried away by flood.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by BrightCar: 11:41am On Oct 18, 2013
THANK GOD, YOU SAID ITS A PREDICTION, YOUR QUESTION IS ALREADY ANSWERED. undecided

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 11:43am On Oct 18, 2013
ITS A PREDICTION.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by wesley80(m): 11:44am On Oct 18, 2013
No, it actually was a warning.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by phatmukoro: 11:46am On Oct 18, 2013
What I think NEMA did was to give a sort of pre-emptive warning so nobody blames them for not being able to predict floods. Could be a trick to disguise incompetency, you know better a false alarm than a surprise flood.

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by amiable4real: 11:47am On Oct 18, 2013
NIMET should sit up and take their mandate seriously to ensure that their predictions are accurate, otherwise they will lose their credibility and no one will ever believe them. I can bet you, if by 2014 they come up with predictions of heavy rains and flooding, people may not likely take them serious. Peradventure, the rains come heavily with serious flooding and without adequate preparation like in the past, your guess will be as right as mine. God helping us!!!!!. A country with no direction.

1 Like

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Nobody: 11:47am On Oct 18, 2013
Them be God undecided
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by slimdiggi: 11:48am On Oct 18, 2013
Flooding happened in the northern part of the country o!
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by devour129: 11:50am On Oct 18, 2013
wesley80: I personally believe the farcical prediction is enough for someone to lose his job. You guys need to understand the level of distortion this prediction caused in riverine communities that experienced last year's traumatic floods. Accomplished farmers refused to plough their land for fear of losing their crops as they did last year with most resorting to cultivating only basic quick maturing crops, needless to say lots of households bore the brunt of a baseless prediction. I know of at least one large scale plantain farming family that makes close to a 100k in weekly harvests and suffered the devastation of last years floods but had to sit out this farming season due to those warnings, they are now neck deep in debt!
I've seen data collected from an ongoing nationwide research on rice cultivation and of interest was the lack of cultivation of the crop in certain local goverments in Delta, Bayelsa and Rivers state that hitherto had an appreciable number of rice farmers, I'd thought those areas were not covered due to accessibility but was told farmers there had to shelve their planting plans due to the flood warnings - we are talking of entire local governments in at least thrre states here! You can extrapolate on the combined effects of the warning on entire farming communities along the coast of the Niger and Benue that had no choice but to sit out the farming season.
The question remain: on what basis were this warnings issued? Did these guys have the capacity to issue warnings a year ahead ( the warnings were issued before the rains started!). Last years flood was the worse in living memory, I remember an old man while recounting the story said he'd marked on the wall of his fathers the extent of the greatest flood he'd witnessed that occured during the civil war (1967) as at when he was speaking, his entire house was already under water! To put it in context, NIMET's warning said this years floods would be greater than last years! Now do you understand the level of apprehension these people were needlessly put into especially as state and local government authorities had to drum this into their ears believing they were preparing them for the inevitable?
I believe NIMET should be made to answer some very serious questions here. What went wrong? Who goofed? Who's the alrmist that doesnt deserve tax payers money? The DG ought to talke some responsibilty and apologise for distorting peoples lives bigtime.
you have said it all
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Bishop4bella(m): 11:50am On Oct 18, 2013
Man propose God dispose. If u support me click like.
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by okomonny(m): 11:56am On Oct 18, 2013
Prediction can be likened to probability which may come to past or not. We need to appreciate the information because that has really waken us up and prepare us for the eventuality.

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Philipmems(m): 11:58am On Oct 18, 2013
Still in the pipeline grin grin grin
Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by Big4wig(m): 12:02pm On Oct 18, 2013
Who & what is NNEMA....abeg no b Niger we dey

btw can Sm1 sow #20,000.....as a SEED in2 my AccounT....

GOD loves a Cheerful Giver!!

Re: What Has Happened To Nema's Flood Prediction by BigBen10: 12:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
Can a people who dont even have common weather stations all over the country make accurate predictions? They only rely on foreign satelites which will only give regional data.

We need weather stations on every telecommunication mast in nigeria to get accurate weather data for predictions.

I and some of my naija guys in conjunction with oyibo from holland have started somethings small already. It will only take federal govt commitment to help complete the initiative.

check the links below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlrtAe3w7kw
http://tahmo.info/sensor-design-competition
and our facebook page
TAHMO Initiative

(1) (2) (Reply)

President Buhari's Major Achievements In The South East / APC Calls For Cancellation Of Ebonyi Election / President Buhari In Bilateral Meetings With Irish President (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.