Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,664 members, 7,823,882 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 05:17 PM

Can You Marry A Non-believer - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can You Marry A Non-believer (853 Views)

10 Proven Ways To Overcome Temptation As A Believer / Why Wouldn't You Marry A Sister From Your Church? / What Does The Bible Say About Marrying A Non-virgin? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Marry A Non-believer by Haedword: 2:41am On Oct 19, 2013
Can you marry someone who doesn't believe in God and has the following qualities
respectful,
honest,
loving,
gentle,
attractive,
handsome/beautiful,..
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 3:50am On Oct 19, 2013
NO..

*2 Corinthians 6:14
King James Version (KJV)
14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness
with unrighteousness? and what communion hath
light with darkness?

*2 Corinthians 6:14
Revised Standard Version (RSV)
14 Do not be mismated with unbelievers. For what
partnership have righteousness and iniquity? Or
what fellowship has light with darkness?

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 19, 2013
^^^^^

Did you even give it a thought before you posted those verses?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 7:40am On Oct 19, 2013
no matter what qualities she has, the bible says what concord hath belial with GOD, that means the day you marry her you have married a demon.
what relationship is there between gods and the temple of GOD that means you have fallen in love in gods like ogun,osun,omadioha e.t.c

as people comment on i will give you more reasons
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by kambo(m): 8:08am On Oct 19, 2013
It depends on d answer u want:
the cold initially gall-bitter truth or the "sympathetic-truth".
Either way if ur a christian , this question is un necessary and u know the truth but since ur fishing , maybe u want sympathy and, u'll always find what u looking for.
You can make d bible say anything u want!
Which version dyu want? Cold or sympathetic?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by ayoku777(m): 10:19am On Oct 19, 2013
Leme rephrase your question for you. What you meant is 'Can you marry an anti-christ?'. Anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the Christ is an antichrist 1John 2v22. And anyone who doesnt have the spirit of God has a spirit that is NOT OF GOD

Building a home with an antichrist is WRONG on EVERY level, no matter the other 'nice' qualities he or she has. Coz Jesus can never be the bedrock of such a home. Unless making Jesus the foundation of your home is not a personal priority for you
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Haedword: 12:16pm On Oct 19, 2013
Titiluvly: NO..
Even If he respects your beliefs?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Haedword: 1:08pm On Oct 19, 2013
Divepen:

no matter what qualities she has, the bible says what concord hath belial with GOD, that means the day you marry her you have married a demon.
what relationship is there between gods and the temple of GOD that means you have fallen in love in gods like ogun,osun,omadioha e.t.c

Don't you think you can influence the person's belief?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 19, 2013
Haedword:
WAS IT GOD THAT TOLD YOU TO MARRY HER
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 1:12pm On Oct 19, 2013
Divepen:
WAS IT GOD THAT TOLD YOU TO MARRY HER
But God asked a prophet to marry a prostitute na.. All na God's will..
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 19, 2013
aManFromMars:
after that man...who else in the bible was told to marry an unbeliever...
in this life there are two major kingdom:the kingdom of GOD and the kingdom of the devil..it is a taboo for anyone in one of this kingdom to marry from the other..
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Mintayo(m): 1:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
No!
It will be a very dangerous mistake,marriage is not a temporal thing; so you should marry someone who has the same 'spirit' as you not a conflicting spirit!
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by raptureready: 1:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
The bible expressly forbids that. The relevant passages have already been mentioned.
Look at it like this, Jesus said "ye are of your father the devil, because his works ye do", in another place an apostle wrote, "he who sins is of the devil..."

So marrying an unbeliever kinda makes the devil your father-in-law now, doesn't it?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by raptureready: 1:37pm On Oct 19, 2013
aManFromMars:

That was a symbolic marriage to depict Isreal's whoring after other gods.

And BTW d question was not can a believer marry a prostitute now was it?
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 1:48pm On Oct 19, 2013
so a believe can be a prostitute? cheesy

1 Like

Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by UyiIredia(m): 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
Abeg, deist or atheists, if una be Christian or Muslim like us because of how we good not let religious bad belle wori u.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 19, 2013
aManFromMars: so a believe can be a prostitute? cheesy
NO
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 3:13pm On Oct 19, 2013
the question is

What is the place of belief in my marriage?

Will my belief or unbelief put food on my table?

Will my belief or unbelief finance my kids eduaction?

Is the love i have for my family a function of what i believe or what i chose not to?

Will my believe DETERMINE if i'll be a good husband and father to my wife and children respectively?

Please and please keep your belief or and unbelief out your home because what it has to offer in making the union of two people work is close to zero , this is one of the reasons i detest religion the Nigerian man is letting the slave masters religion to aggravate the level of "divisiveness" in an already DIVISIVE state with respect to ethnicity..

My point is let not ur faith hinder you from being with the love of your life.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
Nolongthing1: the question is

What is the place of belief in my marriage?

Will my belief or unbelief put food on my table?

Will my belief or unbelief finance my kids eduaction?

Is the love i have for my family a function of what i believe or what i chose not to?

Will my believe DETERMINE if i'll be a good husband and father to my wife and children respectively?

Please and please keep your belief or and unbelief out your home because what it has to offer in making the union of two people work is close to zero , this is one of the reasons i detest religion the Nigerian man is letting the slave masters religion to aggravate the level of "divisiveness" in an already DIVISIVE state with respect to ethnicity..

My point is let not ur faith hinder you from being with the love of your life.
HOW will your home be in peace when you leave home for church programs and which your wife is not attending.IF you come back late will she not fight u.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 19, 2013
Haedword: Can you marry someone who doesn't believe in God and has the following qualities
respectful,
honest,
loving,
gentle,
attractive,
handsome/beautiful,..

Sure I can but she has to be intelligent and we would need to reach an understanding on how the kids will be brought up.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by texanomaly(f): 4:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
Haedword:

@ Haedword: It is not wise to marry someone who you think you need to change/influence in some way to make them acceptable. This is a recipe for disaster, discord and ultimately divorce.

Secondly, I was going to protest use of antichrist to describe those who do not believe in Christ. I have always considered this to be a demon of some sort. I looked up the definition though. Here it is.

Antichrist:
1. a particular personage or power, variously identified or explained, who is conceived of as appearing in the world as the principal antagonist of Christ.
2. an opponent of Christ; a person or power antagonistic to Christ.
3. a disbeliever in Christ.

So...in light of that, I concede that those who do not believe in Christ are indeed antichrist. I beg to differ, when it comes to calling nonbelievers demons though.

demon[ dee-muhn ]
noun
1. an evil spirit; devil or fiend.
2. an evil passion or influence.
3. a person considered extremely wicked, evil, or cruel.

Not all nonbelievers are evil, wicked or cruel. As a matter of fact, I know more than a few, so called Christians, I would consider to be one or more of those things.

@ topic:
It is not a good idea. There is enough stress in this life for any marriage, without adding more. It may not seem like that big a deal at first, but it will eventually become a problem if you truly love Christ. You will want that person to feel what you feel, and will become increasingly distressed about their salvation. Add children to the equation, and those stresses increase a hundred fold.

2 Likes

Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by UyiIredia(m): 4:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
^^^liked.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by macof(m): 6:15pm On Oct 19, 2013
ayoku777: Leme rephrase your question for you. What you meant is 'Can you marry an anti-christ?'. Anyone who doesn't believe that Jesus is the Christ is an antichrist 1John 2v22. And anyone who doesnt have the spirit of God has a spirit that is NOT OF GOD

Building a home with an antichrist is WRONG on EVERY level, no matter the other 'nice' qualities he or she has. Coz Jesus can never be the bedrock of such a home. Unless making Jesus foundation of your home is not a personal priority for you

Every living thing has the spirit of God, Christian or not. the gods would still continue to maintain the universe and protect everyone, they won't stop because of Christians or non-Christians

Anti-Christ doesn't mean evil, It simply is going against the Christian brainwash and preaching against Christ like I do.

So like in my house Orunmila is the bedrock and if any body doesn't like that they shouldn't come in

I can't marry a woman who doesn't recognize Orunmila, nobody would ask her to worship him but she must live by his teachings. So if she can embrace Orunmila everything is fine by me.
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by macof(m): 6:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
Divepen:

Pls don't fall my hand

The gods are from God. They are the first borns of the Supreme
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by macof(m): 6:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
Divepen:
after that man...who else in the bible was told to marry an unbeliever...
in this life there are two major kingdom:the kingdom of GOD and the kingdom of the devil..it is a taboo for anyone in one of this kingdom to marry from the other..

Wat do u mean by UNBELIEVER? your answer would greatly affect my next post
Re: Can You Marry A Non-believer by texanomaly(f): 9:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
Uyi Iredia: ^^^liked.
Thanks Iredia

(1) (Reply)

Is There Anything Wrong In Paying Tithe From The Money Made From Gambling? / Is It Wrong To Toast A Girl In Church? / Only Virgins To Make Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.