Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,888 members, 7,814,007 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:31 AM

Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? (1473 Views)

Obasanjo's Dance Moves At His 79th Birthday [PICS] / Obasanjo's Adopted Son, Udoh Henry At His 79th Birthday In Ogun State.pics / Obasanjo Dances At His 79th Birthday (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by ChisomMalachy(m): 10:03am On Oct 19, 2013
I only remember his over 3 million Igbo people he kill during Biafra/Nigeria war

Go On With One Nigeria (GOWON)
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by geefasee: 10:07am On Oct 19, 2013
military dictator (head of state)
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by simpleseyi: 10:15am On Oct 19, 2013
Chisom Malachy: I only remember his over 3 million Igbo people he kill during Biafra/Nigeria war

Go On With One Nigeria (GOWON)

No Yoruba/Hausa/Fulani man was killed? Hypocrites.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by tpia5: 10:20am On Oct 19, 2013
These types of threads are detrimental to the success of nairaland.

Why do you people always put a negative spin on everything?

This is not normal, you need help.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by malele(m): 10:26am On Oct 19, 2013
As am OLD FOOL
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by malele(m): 10:26am On Oct 19, 2013
As an OLD FOOL
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Nobody: 10:30am On Oct 19, 2013
Onye nso gbu
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by ChideraFavour(m): 10:31am On Oct 19, 2013
I remembered him for been the yougest head of state in Nigeria who became president at the age of 32. I will forever reserve that honour for him it is not easy jare!
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Longeria(m): 10:47am On Oct 19, 2013
Nigeria’s Hitler
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Femmyfamous4u(m): 10:56am On Oct 19, 2013
Chidera Favour: I remembered him for been the yougest head of state in Nigeria who became president at the age of 32. I will forever reserve that honour for him it is not easy jare!

He was actually 27 years old not 32
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Nobody: 11:49am On Oct 19, 2013
Hmmmm, I don't remember him at all.I only remember from Abacha small to Jonathan.
But I heard he built most of the bridges and expressways in Lagos plus there was plenty money in the country those days.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by luckyDon1: 12:28pm On Oct 19, 2013
He will always be remembered for the massacre of millions of Igbos during the civil war and he is now reaping the fruits via Fulani herdsmen turning his state(Plateau) to war zone.

4 Likes

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by ChideraFavour(m): 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2013
Femmyfamous4u:

He was actually 27 years old not 32
he was born in 1934 and became president in 1966, so do the arithmetic yourself and give us the answer
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by jamace(m): 1:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
I remember him as a leader who rendered selfless service to the nation to the point of retiring "poor" from office.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by funkybaby(f): 2:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
A dashing, intelligent, soft spoken gentleman who believed in the unity of Nigeria while he was Head of State.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Boss13: 2:32pm On Oct 19, 2013
A man out of youthful exuberance created a war that would have been averted and inflicted pain on a particular ethnicity group. He would be remembered for strengthening tribalism and northern oligarchy in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by naijaking1: 3:40pm On Oct 19, 2013
Chidera Favour: I remembered him for been the yougest head of state in Nigeria who became president at the age of 32. I will forever reserve that honour for him it is not easy jare!

Was the reason why he was hopelessly manipulated by Hausa Fulani people and he didn't even know it. Today, he's a coward incapable of recounting his mistakes. Instead, he's busy hiding under a prayer group.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by sammyzacks(m): 4:20pm On Oct 19, 2013
So, the level of highway construction during Gowon’s administration has never been matched by any other regime in this country. If you like or you have the fact, you can contradict me. I found two North-South roads Lagos, Ibadan, Ilorin, Jebba, Kaduna, Zaria. Then, Port Harcourt, Makurdi, Jos and all of that.
All these were under Gen. Gowon. Warri, Benin, Auchi, Kotorn Karfi to Abuja. Calabar-Yola-Maiduguri. Gowon’s idea was to have one from Badagry down to Sokoto, which unfortunately, could not be actualised. We planned Lagos to Warri to Sokoto but unfortunately it is still on paper. When I left the ministry in December 1974, most of these roads we took over from the states with their consent, were either completed, going-on or soon to start. That was most of the major projects. That was where most of the money was spent. It was cheap to say the problem of Nigeria was not money but how to spend it. If he actually said that, am not sure he really meant it.
Most of this money was spent on roads. And I’m sure other ministries also carried out their own projects. Only this morning I was going through the list of achievements Gowon administration recorded, which I believe till today have not been surpassed by any other government.
I challenge Obasanjo to tell me five concrete achievements, which Nigerians can remember him for during his time as Head of state 1976 to 1979 or as President 1999 till 2007. He succeeded me as minister of works for about six months before the coup, albeit he had been in government before then.
Is it Babangida you want to talk about? I am talking about concrete things people can remember. The Universal Primary Education was Gowon’s idea. I was there with him in January 1974, I just returned as Amir Hajj when I was asked to join the tour of Sokoto. Race Course Sokoto that was where Gowon declared the policy of free primary education and I was in his cabinet till December. I was in the committee. Later successive administrations only took it from where he stopped. Gowon alongside Enyadema of Togo established ECOWAS.

2 Likes

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by enyi1: 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2013
oga, of all the road projects you mentioned above, how many of them cut through the SE.

Gowon is a failure and a disgrace. Fu...king racist!
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Nobody: 5:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
A p.u..ss..y and killer!
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Emperor007: 5:42pm On Oct 19, 2013
Is he celebrating it in Platue State?

He should be cooling off in ICJ / ICC jail.

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by emiye(m): 5:54pm On Oct 19, 2013
Boss13: A man out of youthful exuberance created a war that would have been averted and inflicted pain on a particular ethnicity group. He would be remembered for strengthening tribalism and northern oligarchy in Nigeria.

i think the youthful exuberance fits ojukwu the most.

Ojukwu was a 29 year old boy, who failed to plan by making attempts to secede, when he was not prepared for the repercussion.

Gowon was more sensible to allow Awolowo dictate the pace of the war, and allow the war come to an end in the shortest of time. That war could have lasted for over a decade, if it was purely Gowon vs Ojukwu, the two were not fully matured.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by seanet01: 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2013
emiye:

Ojukwu was a 29 year old boy, who failed to plan by making attempts to secede, when he was not prepared for the repercussion.

Gowon was more sensible to allow Awolowo dictate the pace of the war, and allow the war come to an end in the shortest of time. That war could have lasted for over a decade, if it was purely Gowon vs Ojukwu, the two were not fully matured.
I wonder o. This people who have been brainwashed by the village story tellers will not stop spinning their lie here
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Ymodulus: 6:07pm On Oct 19, 2013
I remember him as a Stu*Pid, Wick*ed, Dumb Headed Guy, who did the following

1. Killed over 3million Igbos
2. He teamed up with AWOLOWO and Commited Genocide.
3. He stopped the thousands of AIDS from REDCROSS and INTERNATIONAL BODY. Hereby depriving inocent young igbos.

4. He gave out Bakassi and some part of Adamawa state (Now northern cameroun) to Cameroun by striking a shady protective deal with cameroun then president. Yusuf (who is actually a fulani of origin).

5. A liar who goes around disturbing people of Nigerian all in the name of prayer group.

6. A man who was never sued by the ICC for genocide or crimes against humanity. ( He went to minna Niger state during this year and when he was asked about the case of genocide against igbos, you wont belive that this MaGGOT or CLOWN actually said he had no remorse and that if anybody wants to sue him, that person should. )

-----------------

I have said this over time that any day anytime i lay my eyes on him. I wud do the IGBOS the great Honour by Killing GOWON.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Ymodulus: 6:18pm On Oct 19, 2013
The day Gowon will die. I will personally pay for a live tv broadcast across nigeria on stations suchs as STV, CHANNELS TV, AIT, and EVEN CNN.

On the broadcast i wud tell the whole world that an enemy is dead. And is death calls for celebration. I wud show the world that if Britains were happy of Magaret Thatcher death. Then Most Nigerians are Happy of Gowon death.

I would not just stop their. I would go on all Newspaper, Tv stations, Radio House, Google Adverts, CNN , BBC, Al-Jazeera. And announce a party. Shouting "The Bas*tard his dead".

Finally when he his buried i wud visit the burial ground unbury him, then share his body to the dogs.

O bfore i forget this will all b broadcasted.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by DerideGull(m): 6:21pm On Oct 19, 2013
Gown is a diabolical traitor, inveterate liar and satanic usurper who set Nigeria onto the corruptive and chaotic path.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by emiye(m): 6:22pm On Oct 19, 2013
Ymodulus: The day Gowon will die. I will personally pay for a live tv broadcast across nigerians on stations suchs as STV, CHANNELS TV, AIT, and EVEN CNN.

On the broadcast i wud tell the whole world that an enemy is dead. And is death calls for celebration. I wud show the world that if Britains were happy of Magaret Thatcher death. Then Most Nigerians are Happy of Gowon death.

I would not just stop their. I would go on all Newspaper, Tv stations, Radio House, Google Adverts, CNN , BBC, Al-Jazeera. And announce a party. Shouting "The Bas*tard his dead".

Finally when he his buried i wud visit the burial ground unbury him, then share his body to the dogs.

O bfore i forget this will all b broadcasted.

The old man might outlive you.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by yibomustgo(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
I remember him as the man who beat up Ojuku and chased him out of Nigeria while wearing buba and wrapper with head-tie.

1 Like

Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by DerideGull(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2013
emiye:

Above crap is a rascal postulation from a fundamentally ill-informed troll.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by DerideGull(m): 6:26pm On Oct 19, 2013
seanet01:
I wonder o. This people who have been brainwashed by the village story tellers will not stop spinning their lie here

It is unfortunately you have been acting like a dunce lately. I guess you are one.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Ymodulus: 6:30pm On Oct 19, 2013
emiye: The old man might outlive you.

I laugh in Swahili.

Its better you add the word might.

Mr emiye gowon can never, i repeat gowon can never and will never outlive me.

GOWON is a Dun*Ce.
Re: Today Is The 79th Birthday Of Yakubu Gowon. What Do You Remember Him Of ? by Ymodulus: 6:32pm On Oct 19, 2013
DerideGull:

It is unfortunately you have been acting like a dunce lately. I guess you are one.
Stop Guessing. You are right, he his a DUNCE.

--
Besides i was the fir to like your post. :-)

(1) (2) (Reply)

....... / 20yr Old Imo State Indigene Makes History As Youngest Commerical Pilot Graduate / Photo: The Nigerian Ebola Terrorist Who Stubbornly Took Ebola To Port Harcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.