Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:27 AM

What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? (6132 Views)

This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ / Push CV Elite Employee Quest 2015 / Major Differences Between An Entrepreneur And An Employee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by 2sureguy1(m): 2:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Voting.....lolz.....GEJ 2015
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Nobody: 2:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
you must not have issues with an employee before laying them off. but i prefer using the word redundancy rather than issuing a termination letter.

provided the severance benefit is paid, there is no reason why the employee will not walk away peacefully
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by skyscraperTM(m): 2:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
GustavoFring: If my secretary doesn't want to nack, she will be sacked ASAP

The country is in a recession after all.... angry
Mad man!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Oct 23, 2013
1. If an employee is not doing well, let number of queries indicate so.
2. Three queries within a defined period equal a sack, except if management decides otherwise.

Except there's a major scandal that's obvious to all, never sack anyone with a stainless record.
But you can retrench workers to streamline line your business. (That involves paying compensation, it's different from outright sack)
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by JOFF: 2:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
I believed the reason(s) why you sacked her is best known to you nevertheless considering the situation of naija

a beg if you can afford to pay her off(I mean settle her) pls do
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by fozo: 2:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
spicy v: Well I'm not exactly sure, but I think there is a way to interact with moderators, maybe you can send a PM to one of the moderators of that section.

You may have been banned by the spam bot but a moderator can unban you.
need to know more...i'm followin
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Ninapha(f): 3:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
vinkolo: Owe him/her for donkey months without any hope of payment
u are neither an administrator nor a manager going by ur statement. What legal backing do u hv to owe ur worker and still put up a sack letter.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Ninapha(f): 3:55pm On Oct 23, 2013
There are several ways u can do that without actuallt seeming very insensitive.

There must be genuine reason why u are 'laying off' ur worker.

Redundancy, inefficiency, bankcrupcy, insubordination, negligenc, fraud etc.

Each situation determines ur best approach. Like someone said, if na 'mouth appointment, dont make mistake of writing a layoff letter, why? As it is there is nothing to back ur terms of service.

Whatever u do written or unwritten apply the 'labour act' in paying severance pay.

Where its on insubordination, inefficiency, negligency to duty, its always advisable to write at least two query letters and then a warning letter, by that, u hv prepared her mind she is threading on thin line.

Bankcruptcy, redundancy: discuss the situation with the employee and preferablly advice her to resign.hy? There is always a stigma with termination letters.

Fraud, conspiracy: express termination.

However there is no smiling way to receiveing ones termination letter but do ur part by doing the fair things expected of an employer.

Long sermon. Lol

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by tjdj: 3:57pm On Oct 23, 2013
take him/her to Mr. Biggs....there is no better place to break the news than that place, ask the staff to be fired to meet you there and send the following message via SMS "I HEREBY NOTIFY YOU THAT YOUR SERVICES ARE NO LONGER REQUIRED....AN ORDER OF PIPING HOT MEATPIE HAS BEEN PLACED AND PAID FOR TO PROVIDE SUCCOUR...TAKE CARE"....shikena
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by peleson: 4:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
With the use of a GUN
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by debbleopto: 4:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
Richy.:
Was there any warning before you fire?

U can't just wake up one morning and decide to relieve some one of their duties. that is not cool.

Any way, the best was is to bring his or her sins before her or him. tell him/her that she has been warned about that and it continued.
Unfortunately the management can no longer accept that. unfortunately, his/her services is no longer needed. end it by saying good-luck

but if you are down sizing, that is a different way. explain what the management/ the company is having a tough time bla bla bla.
thank him or her for working so wonderfully well. and promise that in future if things improve they will be the first to be called etc.
that is a dignified way of telling people that their services are no longer needed.

do not say "U ARE FIRED " unless u want to be killed.

can we follow the footsteps of our president? He prepared the letters, gave it to the PRO to give the ministers. Then travelled so that he won't see the crying face or be attacked by their looks. Other option: buy gift for them, put the letter in a beautifully crafted invitation envelope and serve the gooood meal. They will understand it is : hard way, the only way.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by NwokikeADAEZE: 4:34pm On Oct 23, 2013
Do to others what you will want them to do to u. If u don't expect your worker to wake one morning and say to you I resign then don't wake up one morning to say your service is no longer needed. You expect your worker to inform you before hand then you should inform him or her too.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by oyeleyemaureen(m): 4:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
im sorry to say this but you're fired
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Lamasta(m): 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
Give him sack letter then case close
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 5:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
hmmm, now am really confused. maybe a pump action gun will send the message faster and long lasting ( just joking).

l appreciate the good advice, bewilded at the bad ones and dumbfounded at those that put to question my grammatical dexterity.

coming to thank una leta
a min plz
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Jeezyy(m): 5:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
in Donald Trump words.....am sorry, bt u r fired
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 6:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
osifred : please where can one lay hold of labour document on firing an employee?

seriously most of you have neither been fired nor fired anyone. bros, its suicidal either way.

nothing is more difficult as pointing a loaded gun to a worker, let alone firing the shot.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by sheniqua: 6:23pm On Oct 23, 2013
jdilight: l fired my employee.
hear her, l feel like crying. What do you want me to do now? Where will l start?

Menh l felt for her, but l got to move on and that means letting go on some people and holding on to others.

plz advice me so that l wouldn't make an employee cry again.

What is the best way to fire your employee?

Should you pre inform him/her?

What is the duration duration if you are to inform him/her?

Do annual or periodic performance evaluation for your employees
Those not measuring up should be given written warnings and maybe placed on probationary period
If at the next evaluation,they are still not performing you tell them you have to let them go
Always make sure to let them know why you are firing them
That valid information could help them in the next job
There is no easy way of doing it.

Sometimes you may also look at other alternatives rather than outright firing
You can reassign people to other tasks even if it is with less money if you find them useful in other areas.
You can also spend time and train them in what you want them to do depending on the nature of the job

What is not right is firing someone without any warnings and sanctions and they come to work,suddenly they are fired
That is wicked.
Give the person a chance to do better or maybe start looking elsewhere if it seems you are not pleased with their performance
Think of what you will like done to you and do same to others.

The secret to business growth can depend on the way you treat your employees and the rate of turn over
You are likely to succeed if you have the same crew with you long term,trained in what you want them to do
I learned this from my dad,he is a businessman who has stuck with the same workers for years
Some not as good as the others but loyalty in an employee also means something.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by sheniqua: 6:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
4reigningqueen: wait for the employee to make mistake and simply seize the opportunity or give him or her an assignment that cant be carried out.

Pure wickedness
Sadly this is the way many people operate in Nigeria with no conscience
And tomorrow if evil befalls you,you go to mountain of fire and be chanting off repetitions and buying olive oil to wad of evil

You don't set people up that way ma
It is totally wrong

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by sheniqua: 6:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Another good thing to do will be to give the person an extra pay as a severance
If you fired them say on the 15th of the month,you pay them the whole month the same day you are letting them go
Don't make them come back to the same job asking or begging for their pay as some heartless employers do
That is just humiliating and inhumane

1 Like

Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by LOZENGE(m): 9:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice one @ spicy v. Not suprised dat a lot of nlander would make a bad boss. Heart of men re filled wt evil " as a man thinkth so he speakth
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by nnadychuks(m): 10:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
You can't fire me, I quit!:/
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 10:21pm On Oct 23, 2013
lol, its not easy to quit. the fear of the future will paralyse u to death.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Nobody: 3:03am On Oct 24, 2013
The best way to fire an employee is straightforward. Get an AK47 nd use it. Shikena
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Gudintent: 4:28am On Oct 24, 2013
^^ and the family will turn up at your office with a machete and butcher you to pieces undecided

All in the bad spirit of Halloween cool

lipsrsealed
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 8:13am On Oct 24, 2013
Lol, these people self una no go kill person.

the lady in question just got a new job through my recommendations and link.
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Onyenna(m): 11:17am On Oct 24, 2013
jdilight: spicy v : My dear l can't see the reply link even on my post where l as of suggestion about a name for a tissue Paper company. l don't seem to see reply links on topics in Business section of Nairaland.

I guess you've been BANNED...... You've got to try again later....
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by Onyenna(m): 11:18am On Oct 24, 2013
jdilight: spicy v : My dear l can't see the reply link even on my post where l as of suggestion about a name for a tissue Paper company. l don't seem to see reply links on topics in Business section of Nairaland.

I guess you've been BANNED...... You've got to try again later.... I just hope your ban won't be expiring in 2050 though....
Re: What Is The Best Way To Fire An Employee? by jdilight(m): 12:16pm On Oct 24, 2013
Bros l don try tire, l dey reason ban myself for Nairaland self.

(1) (2) (Reply)

I Need A Job And A Wife / G E, Next Stage / Who Else Received This Job Invite?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.