Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,087 members, 7,811,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad (19765 Views)

Traditional Wedding Custom Of Akuapem People From Ghana / Custom Of Inheritance In Akwa Ibom And Cross River State / Chinese Men's Marriages To African Women Causes Controversy In China (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by odumchi: 6:15am On Oct 20, 2013
Personally, I find it funny when people conduct so-called "traditional" marriages (which oftentimes are not traditional in in any way, shape, or form and are simply parties in which the bride and groom are dressed in lace or ankara) overseas instead of going home [to Nigeria]. I understand that sometimes there might be financial constraints and all that, but that doesn't negate the fact that [to me] it's such a weird idea. I mean, isn't the idea behind marrying someone traditionally supposed to be fulfilling the marital customs of the woman's land (speaking from the Igbo perspective)?

Speaking from my culture's perspective, a traditional marriage is a social event in which all of the head members of the bride's family formally "hand away" their daughter to the groom's family. These marriages are always performed at the compound of the bride's parents and follow the rules and regulations of the bride's land and end with the long procession of the groom, his new wife, and his people, back to their home. With this in mind, I'd like to seek your opinions on this issue? What do you think about "ovaseez marajiz".

11 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by enyi1: 3:54pm On Oct 20, 2013
why is this on front page!!!

9 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by ajayi147(m): 3:55pm On Oct 20, 2013
na so
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by youngpo: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
enyi1: why is this on front page!!!

Mods.

6 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Nobody: 3:57pm On Oct 20, 2013
Is op related to the mode.rator ?

5 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by smile4kenn(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
interesting
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:58pm On Oct 20, 2013
The Gods are Truly GReat and Just.
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Michyeddy(f): 3:59pm On Oct 20, 2013
Am bored already....NEXTTTTT

3 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by imperiouxx(m): 4:02pm On Oct 20, 2013
I thought I'm gonna see pinshures angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Oppypoppy: 4:06pm On Oct 20, 2013
Indeed traditions need to be kept buh in oversea situation they just ve to get married. Guy! correct igbo traditional wedding o or oversea trasditional wedding o, d koko be say make God bless the marriage with children, happiness, love, wealth and long life....ish!

4 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by dheaven: 4:07pm On Oct 20, 2013
Traditional marriage is the only the form of marriage approved. White weding should be abolished.

3 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by texazzpete(m): 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
odumchi: Personally, I find it funny when people conduct so-called "traditional" marriages (which oftentimes are not traditional in in any way, shape, or form and are simply parties in which the bride and groom are dressed in lace or ankara) overseas instead of going home [to Nigeria]. I understand that sometimes there might be financial constraints and all that, but that doesn't negate the fact that [to me] it's such a weird idea. I mean, isn't the idea behind marrying someone traditionally supposed to be fulfilling the marital customs of the woman's land (speaking from the Igbo perspective)?

Speaking from my culture's perspective, a traditional marriage is a social event in which all of the head members of the bride's family formally "hand away" their daughter to the groom's family. These marriages are always performed at the compound of the bride's parents and follow the rules and regulations of the bride's land and end with the long procession of the groom, his new wife, and his people, back to their home. With this in mind, I'd like to seek your opinions on this issue? What do you think about "ovaseez marajiz".

I think you should mind your business. Marry off your children the way you see fit, but stop judging others.

Maybe someone else with toe your path of not minding your business and open a thread complaining about people opening nairaland threads at 6:15am instead of going to church cheesy

20 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by EnairatofroUK: 4:08pm On Oct 20, 2013
if they do it abroad doest dat mean they are not properly??

things change, u have to get wit the times.

i watched a youruba traditional marraige on tv a few weeks ago, a yoruba girl and an english boy.#

the girls parents even gran ma was there and it was a very enjoyable ceremony. all traditions and customs were adhered to. are they not married??

must u risk everbody's life across the ocean to a place wit no road, no electric and no safety?

before u know accident don happen, person don die, dats wat happened to my bestfriend's eldest brother.
dats if kidnapper no catch u first cry cry

its not worth the hassle

8 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 20, 2013
1. Will you pay the $1000+ each that would be spent on transportation by the couple back home?
2. Will you guarantee their safety during the wedding?
3. Will you protect them from the witches and wizards after the wedding?
4. Will you guarantee the safety of their friends that would come for the wedding?
5. Will you hold the plane with your hands and pray against crashing?
Your question is bull..ss.hit. You can get married in US with less than $5k., including the dowry and other important stuff, why waste your yearly savings on traveling to Nigeria, and impressing those who don't really care??

12 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by naijathings(m): 4:19pm On Oct 20, 2013
now we are talking of those people who do this stuff outside nigeria... yet there are some people who are from the east but do their trad in the west within Nigeria.. you wanna ask them why ??
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by free2ryhme: 4:20pm On Oct 20, 2013
odumchi: Personally, I find it funny when people conduct so-called "traditional" marriages (which oftentimes are not traditional in in any way, shape, or form and are simply parties in which the bride and groom are dressed in lace or ankara) overseas instead of going home [to Nigeria]. I understand that sometimes there might be financial constraints and all that, but that doesn't negate the fact that [to me] it's such a weird idea. I mean, isn't the idea behind marrying someone traditionally supposed to be fulfilling the marital customs of the woman's land (speaking from the Igbo perspective)?

which one you do

na people like una guys dey run from

1 Like

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Niseamaka(m): 4:23pm On Oct 20, 2013

what is funny about the fact that some people are undocumented and cannot travel. Finance is always a big issue as well. Most families struggles pay check to pay check. Security is also a factor.
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by safarigirl(f): 4:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
texazzpete:

I think you should mind your business. Marry off your children the way you see fit, but stop judging others.

Maybe someone else with toe your path of not minding your business and open a thread complaining about people opening nairaland threads at 6:15am instead of going to church cheesy
why so harsh? I support the OP. The worst is the ones in Nigeria that would do their marriages in Lagos or Abuja, at least those abroad have excuse. You that's in this country, what's your excuse? The only thing is, once a lady marries, she becomes the property of her husband and his people. Except she's interested in further relations with her father's side, or is from Asaba, where she'll be buried in her father's compound, she may be ok with ignoring tradition, na her papa go suffer repercussions.
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by chimex38: 4:30pm On Oct 20, 2013
FIXED
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by chimex38: 4:34pm On Oct 20, 2013
if a topic 4rm culture forum must b in front page, is dis d best dere is? undecided
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Nuzo1(m): 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2013
Should I also travel to the village for traditional naming ceremony when the kids start coming?

Just asking. undecided
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by Okijajuju1(m): 4:40pm On Oct 20, 2013
My problem is that they never invite the Eze Mmuo for such weddings.. angry

2 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by chimex38: 4:42pm On Oct 20, 2013
MODS 4 HIRE
Culture section declared vacant grin
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by texazzpete(m): 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
safarigirl: why so harsh? I support the OP. The worst is the ones in Nigeria that would do their marriages in Lagos or Abuja, at least those abroad have excuse. You that's in this country, what's your excuse? The only thing is, once a lady marries, she becomes the property of her husband and his people. Except she's interested in further relations with her father's side, or is from Asaba, where she'll be buried in her father's compound, she may be ok with ignoring tradition, na her papa go suffer repercussions.

Like I said, they have their reasons. You ought to respect that. At least, these days lots of them do it for security reasons...or convenience. As long as it's the father's house, what's the issue if they decide to do it in the family house in Lagos instead of the family house in the village?

The important thing is that the marriage takes place according to the customs of the bride's village. That way, the cultural value is preserved. The location is of much less importance.

3 Likes

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by crackhaus: 4:43pm On Oct 20, 2013
The woman I intend marrying has no choice but to take me to her home town for the traditional rites with her kinsmen, I don't care if she lives on mars.
Going back home is the only way I can be certain that she is infact her father's daughter.

1 Like

Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by chimex38: 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2013
Okija_juju: My problem is that they never invite the Eze Mmuo for such weddings.. angry

grin u wan make hm reveal all d atrocity wey d couples don commit prior 2 marriage & wetin dem gaz do 2 appease d gods in addition 2 dowry? Otherwise wedding no go takeplace grin
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by babseg(m): 4:46pm On Oct 20, 2013

Because you are not serious
Re: The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad by lomprico(m): 4:47pm On Oct 20, 2013
E no pass yuropeen people grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy / Brief History And Culture Of Babur/ Bura People. / The Asagba Of Asaba, Professor Chike Edozien, Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.