Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,789 members, 7,820,765 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:09 PM

I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy (19780 Views)

Alaafin Of OYO With Yoruba Descendants In Brazil (pictures) / The Afro-brazilian (saro) Descendants Of Lagos State - Our History / Question For The Descendants Of The Benin Empire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by ak47mann(m): 6:19pm On Oct 05, 2011
By Sun News Publishing
Sunday, March 28, 2004

He may not be a genealogist, but Noam Katz, Israeli Ambassador to Nigeria, strongly believes that there are some common cultures and customs that bond the Igbo with Israel. He also identified with the belief that Igbo are descendants of the Jews.

Katz told Sunday Sun in Abuja:“I’m aware and sure that we have unique traditions, culture and strong bonds that link us to the Igbo people. It has been proved that these unique bonds are helping in creating ties between us. There are some traditions that the two peoples have in common. I was told by some Igbo friends about common cultures and customs that we have together, some linguistic connections between Hebrew and Igbo.”

Katz started his education in Jerusalem after his military services as required in Israel for every citizen to serve in the Army.
He rose to the rank of Major, went to the university and became a teacher in a high school. He later joined the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and started as a cadet. So far he has been to Nigeria twice.

Forty-year-old envoy who is in Nigeria for the second time can hardly hide his love for the country: "I love Nigeria. I am very happy to be here in Nigeria. Nigeria was the first country that I served abroad. It’s like first love, you know you never forget your first love. I found the people of Nigeria very warm, cordial and friendly with a great sense of humour.”

Reflecting on his first time in Nigeria, Katz said a lot has changed: "The political atmosphere is different. There is no longer military dictatorship. This has brought Nigeria back to the family of democratic nations. It has brought Nigeria back to its right position in the international arena and specifically, Africa.”

While advising Nigerians to take full advantage of of the new order, the envoy said: “Nigerians should work hard for the success of democracy and for the success of the Nigerian economy, for the welfare of the Nigerian people and also for the integration of Nigeria as a leading country in the world."

Relations
On his country’s relation with Nigeria, Katz observes: "We started diplomatic relations in 1992 and since then we can see a lot of progress which are beneficial to both sides.

We have sent thousands of Nigeria to be trained in Israel in specific areas where we have advantages. We do programmes here in Nigeria in agriculture, medicine, human enterprises, human development, education and many others. There are more than 50 Israeli companies in Nigeria, in constructions, communications, agriculture and many other fields.

“We recently had a very intensive programme in Minna, where we did dairy cattle course and seminar for people. The idea was to train Nigerians on the most sophisticated updated technologies and methods. We are also considering medical project in some states. We have just concluded a working visit in Abia State which was to explore areas of possible corporation. And it has some very positive results which I hope we will be able to promote later in the year.”

Security
“Unfortunately, we are living in a world where the threat of terrorism has become a major factor. We are trying our best to keep our security like any other country in the world. At the same time, we hope that people will understand that and be patient with some of these measures that we take.
“Half of Israel’s casualties are from suicide bombers. These explode so indiscriminately in the cities , slaughtering men, children and women in public places like bus-stops, coffee shops, markets and malls. It is a state problem that our government is committed to providing security for our people. We regard these security measures as necessary. We believe that the real architect of this thing is not the State of Israel, but Palestinian terrorism. Today, there is a situation and the reality is going to change and again there will be no need but to remind you that we removed some censors like this in the past but we share borders with Lebanon, Egypt and the Jordan and we have reached agreement with them.

Statistically, this measure is not the full preventive measure against terrorism but there is an improvement. Statistics show that at Gaza Strip where we have the security, there was not even a single concentration of suicide bombers in the state of Israel. Therefore, it is important that we protect our people. We believe that human life is more important because that is something that is irreversible. If you love men, if you love family and if you destroy it, it does not only destroy the victim but the immediate family and friends and loved ones and others. Reconfirming Israel’s position on the future of the Middle East he said, “Our position was very clear why we submitted the paper to the court in Hague. Our opinion stated that it was not a matter for the court at The Hague, that it was a political method. We were supported by vast majority of countries in the world. Even the European Union supported Israel’s position on that.They agree that Hague is not the right place to discuss the issue because it requires security and defensive measure and we have the right to protect our people. It is more than the right but the commitment and obligation to do so. And when the other party will be able to come back to negotiate without violence, then we can discuss with them on the future of the Middle East.

“As it is today, Israel has suffered in the last two and a half years more than 19,000 terrorist attacks. The phenomenal suicide bombing became something that is known all over the world and it is targetd indiscriminately against Israeli citizens. Our policy is very clear, we believe that the conflict is solvable. We believe that it will be solved. We are optimistic about this, there should be an end to the use of violence and terrorism in our region.”

Asked which part of the country would he prefer, if he had an option? “I am a Nigerian. I like all parts of Nigeria. Here in Abuja I enjoy the weather. I travel a lot, whether it is south, east, west, north, I enjoy all parts of Nigeria. I visited almost all the states. I must remind you that it was while living here, that some of these new states were created. Basically, I think I have good knowledge of the federation. I visited almost all the states.”

Katz expresses hope that Nigeria will continue on the right track with the right energy, enthusiasm, commitment and determination to complete the necessary changes: “I hope you will allow this nation to become a leading force in Africa.”

Democracy
“There is not doubt in my mind that democracy, with the difficulties that it brings is much better than any other type of regime.
Democracy is not only some kind of a game with specific rule to follow, democracy is a way of living. It is understanding of people that they have the ability and they have also the commitment to take part in the affairs of their own society. And they help to influence and to make a change in the society. I think that people should know that leadership is important but more important than leadership is an active role and support of the people and being involved in what is happening around you in order to achieve and create better condition. Democacy is the road that never ends. We can do better than what we are doing now in fact, democracy demands the commitment of every individual in the society to be part of and not only to expect the things that should be done for you. You have to be very aware of your choices and try to work for better society always and these can be done, as it is done in so may other places in the world and I think that here in Nigeria that is something that has to change. People are happy today than at the time that I was here during the time of military dictatorship.

Katz says Israel and U.S share together many values: “We have same belief of democratic values, of the importance of human rights and many other values that bring other societies together. We feel alike when it comes to this world of value.”

He is of the view that religion as a philosophy of life should focus on what brings human beings together and not the other way: “Unfortunately in the world that we live, every five percent of differences leads to bloodshed. Therefore, my philosophy is not to look for the differences in religion but to look for the common ground we have together.”

1 Share

Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Rgp92: 8:12pm On Oct 05, 2011
lol

1 Like

Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by tpia5: 9:11pm On Oct 05, 2011
At this stage, i think what we're looking for are the descendants of the libyans.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by dempeople(m): 2:11am On Oct 07, 2011
Nonsense. Ndigbo are not descendants of anyone. If anything, they descended from us.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Ybutterfly: 2:32pm On Oct 09, 2011
^^^^^^iT's trUe igBo's aRe desCENdants oF JeWish pEOPle, thEy hAve JeWIsh blOOd; iT explAIns soMe oF tHe lIGht skiNNed feaTURes iN tHe coMMuniTy
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-774700.0.html

^^^^^^^^thanks for this info ak47mann:
"Am not here to advocate anything,am just wondering how igbos sharing the same DNA as Hebrews, but i have read so many articles  about igbo/ Jews stuff and asked igbo historian men in igbo-land about the connection with us and Jews and they told me that Yes their is cultural similarities but they don't know when and how,but they have seen some Jewish people from isreal in places like Nri and some other towns and villages searching for evidence to see if igbos are one of the lost tribe of isreal, and found  things like circumcision eight days after the birth of a male child, separation of men and women during menstruation.

I believed  those cultures didn't fall from haven it came from some were, nobody else practice those kind of culture in the world if you are not blood related to Jews. "

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-776293.32.html
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by ChinenyeN(m): 3:27pm On Oct 09, 2011
Some people should just choke on their own saliva while I sit back and gladly watch.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Ybutterfly: 1:58pm On Oct 13, 2011
^^^^^^^^^^^ heRe is A viDeo of a[size=20pt] IsRaeli JeWish mAn cOnfiRmiN[/size]g it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8WWqIuURGo
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by poweredcom(m): 1:29pm On Oct 15, 2011
I belive that but Not all Igbos, there was a particular part of Igbos that it occured. when they settled there and mixed with them , not all Igbos, Ok,

They are around Idemili or so, and its just 2% trait jare,

Stop fooling your self thinking that you and the present day israeli share the same origin how come ,
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 9:52pm On Oct 15, 2011
Is the original poster saying that Igbo people are Ashkenazi descendants?
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Abagworo(m): 11:38pm On Oct 18, 2011
http://www.thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/16793/1/Igbos-Jewish-origin/Page1.html

Genesis chapter 46 Vs. 16 state clearly the origin of the Igbo nation. Jacob was the father of Gad who was his eleventh son. And Eri the fifth son of Gad founded the Igbo nation. Gad had the following seven children, Zephon, Haggi, Shuni, Ezbon, Eri, Arodi and Areli.

In Anambra State, Aguata Local Government Area to be precise, a town called Ora-Eri was said to have hosted Eri and his group. On arrival, they came with the Hebrew symbol an artifact which was discovered by Professor Shaw in Igbo-Ukwu about 26 years ago. The age of that Hebrew symbol was put at 1800 years both in the surface and on the ground from the date of its discovery.

1 Like

Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by ak47mann(m): 12:18pm On Oct 19, 2011
shalom my people cool
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Taharka29(m): 9:32pm On Oct 19, 2011
Why do people believe all these fantasy crap of so called Jewish Ancestry. The so called Jews in Ancient times did not even call themselves Jews. They were Hebrew Israelites, only white fake Europeans and misinformed brainwashed blacks call themselves Jews.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by BlackLibya: 10:06pm On Oct 19, 2011
this is the worst type of cultural imperialism. From what I understand, only Ethiopians and people from Northwest Cameroon share any type of history with the Jews.

Why the hell do you want to be something other than you? Are u not proud of being Igbo? If Igbo is so close to being a Jew why are u a Christian? Shouldnt you be practicing traditional Igbo religion? Dont you know Christians are heretics to the Jews?

Oh im sorry, u all have just brainwashed yourselves so that you could accept christianity better.

What about direct democracy? Jews didnt believe in democracy, as can be seen in the Bible they had kings.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by NegroNtns(m): 2:07am On Oct 22, 2011
"Am not here to advocate anything,am just wondering how igbos sharing the same DNA as Hebrews, but i have read so many articles about igbo/ Jews stuff and asked igbo historian men in igbo-land about the connection with us and Jews and they told me that Yes their is cultural similarities but they don't know when and how,but they have seen some Jewish people from isreal in places like Nri and some other towns and villages searching for evidence to see if igbos are one of the lost tribe of isreal, and found things like circumcision eight days after the birth of a male child, separation of men and women during menstruation.

It is possible that Igbos descended from Jews. The circumcision and menstrual separation will not pass the link test as almost all tribes in West Africa were known to circumcise boys. Men and women belong in different social groups traditionally and so the separation is inherent within cultural and family lifestyle anyway. To establish credibility you should find some unique rituals thats exclusively common between Igbo and Jews outside of any other African group. Those two you gave will not work for the story.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by chikeuz(m): 5:25am On Oct 30, 2011
Why is not the other round? The Jews claiming kin with us? During the trans-atlantic slave trade, and utter racism in the U.S-there were Jews in the USA who hated "Blacks" with passion, calling them ductlas, and the like. Even if there is any link, don't you they descended from us? Or are we so inferior that claiming kin with them makes us superior?
Biko nu, o yi akwa asa ahu, mara onwe ya.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by NwaIkenga(m): 3:20am On Nov 01, 2011
Isn't it ironic that its only Christians who claim to be descendants of Jews and only Muslims who claim to be descendants of Arabians?
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by BlackLibya: 3:26am On Nov 01, 2011
Isn't it ironic that its only Christians who claim to be descendants of Jews and only Muslims who claim to be descendants of Arabians?

+1
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by tpia5: 3:34am On Nov 01, 2011
Nwa-Ikenga:

only muslims meaning. . . . .?

I'm not muslim and I do consider the arabian peninsula migration story as a possible source of yoruba history, only that of course whoever left there passed through sudan.

however, this is no way means nigerians are descended from arabians unless any such claimant has concrete proof linking him/her to arab ancestors eg a mum, dad, grandma, grandpa, etc.

ie recent origin. And case by case basis.

my point is I'm not discounting it even if i also consider other stories and historical legends addressing the issue of origins.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Rgp92: 10:55pm On Nov 01, 2011
tpia@:

only muslims meaning. . . . .?

I'm not muslim and I do consider the arabian peninsula migration story as a possible source of yoruba history, only that of course whoever left there passed through sudan.

however, this is no way means nigerians are descended from arabians unless any such claimant has concrete proof linking him/her to arab ancestors eg a mum, dad, grandma, grandpa, etc.

ie recent origin. And case by case basis.

my point is I'm not discounting it even if i also consider other stories and historical legends addressing the issue of origins.

We yoruba got nothing to do with arabian peninsula. We are descendent of Nok civilization. who probably migrated from northern part of Africa.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 11:20pm On Nov 01, 2011
Rgp92, where's your evidence (including timeline, names, and cultural practices) that the Yoruba migrated from Nok?
Have you studied the history of the Ijebu?
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by NwaIkenga(m): 11:51pm On Nov 01, 2011
Tpia, what I mean is that you will never hear African Muslims claiming to be from Israel or African Christians claiming to be from Mecca. And those who are still trying to hold on to the traditions laugh at both of them.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Rgp92: 12:21am On Nov 02, 2011
"The Nok culture appeared in Nigeria around 1000 B.C. and mysteriously vanished around 500 AD in the region of West Africa. This region lies in Central Nigeria. The culture’s social system is thought to have been highly advanced. The Nok culture was considered to be the earliest sub-Saharan producer of life-sized Terracotta. It is suggested that the society eventually evolved into the later Yoruba Civilization of Ife.[citation needed]
The refinement of this culture is attested to by the image of a Nok dignitary at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. The dignitary is portrayed wearing a "shepherds crook" affixed with an elastic material to the right arm ([3], [4]). The dignitary is also portrayed sitting with flared nostrils, and an open mouth suggesting performance. According to some accounts, based on artistic similarities to both early Yoruba art forms and Nok forms, there are connections between them and the contemporary Yoruba Race. Later brass, bronze, soapstone and terracotta sculptures of the Yoruba Ife and Yoruba Esie civilizations show significant similarities with those found at Nok."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 2:17am On Nov 02, 2011
Where's the paper citing the dating techniques employed?
Hasn't it struck you yet that this Nok is mentioned in the Bible as Enoch?
Would you say that the carvers of the Dufuna canoe were Yoruba as well?

What if the Yoruba stopped by for a while at a perhaps abandoned Nok before moving on? Remember, even Yoruba oral tradition notes that there was a flood.

Back to thread. Is the original poster safing that Igbo people descended from the Ashkenazi and Sephardi and Khazar?
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by NwaIkenga(m): 2:20am On Nov 02, 2011
amor4ce: I'm sorry but Enoch has absolutely nothing to do with the so called Nok people (which is not even the name that they called themselves), that is simply the name of the village where the artifacts were found.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 2:50am On Nov 02, 2011
The names Nod, Enoch, and Nok are linguistically similar. Check out these links of essays written by an oyinbo woman:
http://jandyongenesis..com/2007/08/is-land-of-nod-region-of-nok.html
http://jandyongenesis..com/2010/12/are-names-enoch-and-enosh-equivalent.html
http://jandyongenesis..com/2011/01/african-naming-practices.html

Genesis 4:16. Cain went out from Yahweh's presence, and lived in the land of Nod, east of Eden.
Genesis 4:17. Cain knew his wife. She conceived, and gave birth to Enoch[b][/b]. He built a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by NwaIkenga(m): 2:52am On Nov 02, 2011
amor4ce: Allah and Ala (the name for the Igbo Earth Goddess) are linguistically similar too. Are the Igbos now descendants of Arabians?  Please stop with this rubbish reasoning
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 3:14am On Nov 02, 2011
I have my own brain and you have yours. How on earth can my reasoning be exactly similar to yours?
By what authority and rubrics did you arrive at "rubbish reasoning" on my part? Did you create me?
Couldn't you provide a critique of my points rather than focus on my person?
Did I direct insults at you?

I provided evidence that anthropologists use and your wikipedia link was more of speculation, but which do you think is ore acceptable to peer review?

Is it not possible for different peoples to have had a similar origin and worship but then disperse/disperse with time, like how some scientists say speciation occurred. An apt example that s closer to home is the relationship between the Yoruba and Itsekiri. Oral traditions has it that they are like brothers, the Ijebu say that the Itsekiri speak the original Ijebu dialect, and linguistic evaluations have indeed verified the common origin. This particular divergence has taken about a millenia. What then would you say for the ones that are over 2000 years old?

In Yoruba oral tradition there is Ela; also Olofin Ala.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by BlackLibya: 3:39am On Nov 02, 2011
The problem comes from distinct differences in Igbo and Jewish culture.

#1. Igbos were forced to abandon their religion to adopt christianity.

#2. Igbos are not judaists but christians(those who practice)

#3. Igbo religion revolves around nature, God and Goddess, and has polytheistic elements not found in christianity.

#4. Igbo culture did not shun nudity, all abrahamic religions cast down on nudity.

#5. Igbo governance was democratic, all abrahamic religions support monarchies.

#6. Igbo women held status, all abrahamic religions support patriarchy.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Rgp92: 9:26am On Nov 02, 2011
Leave bible out of this. We got nothing to do with it.
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by Ybutterfly: 6:14pm On Nov 02, 2011
Rgp92:

"The Nok culture appeared in Nigeria around 1000 B.C. and mysteriously vanished around 500 AD in the region of West Africa. This region lies in Central Nigeria. The culture’s social system is thought to have been highly advanced. The Nok culture was considered to be the earliest sub-Saharan producer of life-sized Terracotta. It is suggested that the society eventually evolved into the later Yoruba Civilization of Ife.[citation needed]
The refinement of this culture is attested to by the image of a Nok dignitary at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts. The dignitary is portrayed wearing a "shepherds crook" affixed with an elastic material to the right arm ([3], [4]). The dignitary is also portrayed sitting with flared nostrils, and an open mouth suggesting performance. According to some accounts, based on artistic similarities to both early Yoruba art forms and Nok forms, there are connections between them and the contemporary Yoruba Race. Later brass, bronze, soapstone and terracotta sculptures of the Yoruba Ife and Yoruba Esie civilizations show significant similarities with those found at Nok."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nok_culture

^^^^^^^^Th@nk$ f0R the InF0^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by ak47mann(m): 8:45pm On Nov 02, 2011
Ybutterfly:

^^^^^^^^Th@nk$ f0R the InF0^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
were is your pix tongue
Re: I’m Sure, Igbo Are Descendants Of The Jews -noam Katz, Israeli Envoy by amor4ce(m): 9:14pm On Nov 02, 2011
Rgp92:

Leave bible out of this. We got nothing to do with it.

If that is your conclusion where are your reasons and evidence.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Strange Custom Of Celebrating "Traditional" Marriages Abroad / Elebuibon Chides Emir Sulu-Gambari For Stopping Isese Festival In Ilorin / Origin Of The Word "OGA"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.