Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,558 members, 7,816,349 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:58 AM

Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? (2135 Views)

Some Scriptures People Use Wrongly To Justify Themselves / Is It Impossible For God To Grow Back Amputated Limbs? / Trinitarian Disrespect For God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Zeebah23(f): 8:20am On Oct 20, 2013
Why do people use capital letter G for God and small letter S for satan. Are both not proper nouns?
Is it a sign of disregard/regard to God,does it make him less/more powerful than he is?
#JustThinking.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Nobody: 9:04am On Oct 20, 2013
I believe that the capital letter 'G' as in God, is one of those things used in distincting the Almighty, Jehovah, Yahweh (however you wish to call His name), from other gods, that is 'smaller' mighty beings. Concerning that of Satan which some peole often use small letter 's' , I believe it's based on illiteracy cos it was inculcated into me that a noun should start with a capital letter. Hope u get my perspective??

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by UyiIredia(m): 9:11am On Oct 20, 2013
Formally both God abd Satan are written with the first letter capitalized as proper nouns. The other reason is that capitalizing God is seen as a form of respect to Him (that's why He is capitalized even though it's a pronoun). Some people don't capitalize S in Satan vecause they feel it respects the Devil.

1 Like

Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 20, 2013
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by MANGAM(m): 9:27am On Oct 20, 2013
Is like this, why did u use capital Z to start ur profile name?
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Damojo: 9:32am On Oct 20, 2013
Op, nor vex me oh. Don't U know that name is Supreme? The name above all names! Infact I spell mine as GOD and not just God!!
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Impulse80(m): 9:38am On Oct 20, 2013
OP are you just returning from yabaleft?
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by vanhelsing(m): 9:40am On Oct 20, 2013
God,god smh grin let me see you capitalize 'g' in the alphabet of your dialect without reference to the english alphabet.
Respect ko
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Zeebah23(f): 10:20am On Oct 20, 2013
Uyi Iredia: Formally both God abd Satan are written with the first letter capitalized as proper nouns. The other reason is that capitalizing God is seen as a form of respect to Him (that's why He is capitalized even though it's a pronoun). Some people don't capitalize S in Satan vecause they feel it respects the Devil.

Point noted sir.
Impulse80: OP are you just returning from yabaleft?
I was going to insult you until i felt it's meaningless. And no,i've never been to yabaleft,look for your ward mates elsewhere..
Re: Why Do People Use Capital Letter G For God? by Zeebah23(f): 10:22am On Oct 20, 2013
MANGAM: Is like this, why did u use capital Z to start ur profile name?

Zeebah is a proper noun. Uyi Uredia answered my question.

(1) (Reply)

Why Do You Worship God? / The Christian God, A Baby/little Child Killer... / Did Jesus Destroy The Law Or Not?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.