Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:22 AM

Importance Of Love In A Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Importance Of Love In A Marriage (6510 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / Nigerian Young Man Finds Love In The Arms Of White Grandma / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Importance Of Love In A Marriage by folyboy2013: 12:16pm On Oct 20, 2013
Importance of Love in a Marriage

Marriage is one of the oldest institutions. When two people want to tie the knot, it is usually because they love each other and want to spend the rest of their lives together - "till death do us part." But some, however, cynics as they may be called, do not believe that love will always keep a marriage going forever and there should be other factors to consider, like money. Others see marriage as a contractual agreement between two families and love between the two people was seldom considered. Thus one has to decide whether love indeed 'makes the world go round' and is 'a many splendoured thing' that binds the marriage partners or are there other things to consider?

Marriages in the past have been known to succeed without love. During our grandparents' time, marriages were arranged and they did not see their spouses until the wedding day itself. Some learnt to love them as time passed whilst others did not. Nevertheless, the marriage endured. As long as man and wife fulfilled their basic responsibilities to their family and children, the marriage was considered to be "working."
As society is now more affluent and has changed, feelings are considered important. To many people now, love is extremely important in a marriage as it is love that will bring them through good and bad times and will bind the family as one. The warmth and care love generates can never be replaced. Many believe that. the love expressed between the two people will show their children the strength of love and illustrate how love makes the family stick together. Children will then learn the importance or love as seen in their parents' relationship and that love has carried them through thick and thin. It is the foundation of a marriage and family.
But others, on the other hand, argue that love in a marriage is purely idealistic. "'There are certainly other things to consider," they say. Financial stability is the foundation of a strong marriage, they believe, as material wealth can give what love cannot. - a shirt on the back and a full stomach. Of course, one can have love and be financially stable but the point one is trying to make is that. love should not. be given top priority. For a marriage to work, there must be financial stability, so that the couple will not. spend so much of their time worrying about bills and more bills which, in fact, might cause a strain in the marriage. The children might also be affected as they will not have, the comfort that their parents want them to have. This might cause them to consider material wealth above not. only love but everything else as they have seen their parents quarrel acrimoniously over money. Thus making money might become their primary objective in life as they become totally disillusioned about love.
I am not trying to throw a wet blanket on those hopeless romantics who believe that love can save the world. The point I am trying to make is that without a stable roof over one's head and clothes on one's back there will be little time for love. So, I maintain that love is important but, equally important, is money. So love plus money may make a successful marriage.

more from: www.zlmh..com
twitter: @zolass
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
@OP
the imortant point you have to focus on here is that........
- everyone NEEDS money to survive in this world and therefore you shouldnt mix that with marriage and love.
but
- you certainly CAN love with no extra money needed.
- you certainly CAN get married with no extra money needed.
- you certainly CAN be happy with no extra money needed.
- you certainly CAN have a family with no extra money needed.

look at poor people that are in love, married and happy.......and learn from them.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 12:29pm On Oct 20, 2013
I think that a successful marriage requires more than love and money.
I have seen wealthy couples running out of love and rather poor families full of love.

I believe that the formula for a successful marriage is more complex than love + money.
I still haven't figured it out, maybe it's just luck or by the Grace of God.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by folyboy2013: 12:39pm On Oct 20, 2013
@ MRbrownJAY

truthfully, love is the greatest thing in the whole universe for God is love, and with God you have all...but believe me, there are a lot of broken home which was broken due to money. may be the husband loosing is job or facing financial break down embarassed
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 12:49pm On Oct 20, 2013
folyboy2013: @ MRbrownJAY

truthfully, love is the greatest thing in the whole universe for God is love, and with God you have all...but believe me, there are a lot of broken home which was broken due to money. may be the husband loosing is job or facing financial break down embarassed

there are gazillions of broken homes out there who failed for many different reasons......just because some happen to be broken because of money issues (brought by the greed of some people), doesnt make money the reason for the downfall of marriage, get real!

as i stated above, you can have very little money and still have a very successful and happy union......it all depends on the state of mind of the PEOPLE in this union. if they value their lives thanks to the Beyonces and Dbanj they see on TV then chances are they will fail. if they value their lives thanks to what their neighbours have attained, then chances are they will fail. if they rather focus on what they SHOULD have instead of being thankful and joyful for what they have, then chances are they will fail......but guess what?! all these reasons have NOTHING to do with money, but all to do with people's greed, ungrateful nature, lack of understanding/respect, childish behaviour etc

so pls, if you want to blame the downfall of marriages, point the finger at the right problem.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 2:31pm On Oct 20, 2013
carefreewannabe: I think that a successful marriage requires more than love and money.
I have seen wealthy couples running out of love and rather poor families full of love.

I believe that the formula for a successful marriage is more complex than love + money.
I still haven't figured it out, maybe it's just luck or by the Grace of God.
Beautifully and intelligently saidsmiley

Btw, y the name: carefreewannabe Can't figure out the meaning, plus u always make sense in ur comments and manner on this forum. Anyway, happy sundaysmiley
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 3:26pm On Oct 20, 2013
DailyNews: Beautifully and intelligently saidsmiley

Btw, y the name: carefreewannabe Can't figure out the meaning, plus u always make sense in ur comments and manner on this forum. Anyway, happy sundaysmiley

smiley smiley smiley

Happy Sunday! kiss kiss kiss

I chose the name for two reasons:

1. When I logged on on Nairaland, my grandpa was very sick and I used to sit everyday in hospital after work worrying about him. We have a very close relationship and as much as I am his favourite, he is the man I love the most in the whole universe wink . So I wished for him to get better again and be carefree again.

2. I am someone who thinks too much about everything and everyone, so I have to remind myself over and over again to be a lil bit more carefree wink
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 4:36pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:

smiley smiley smiley

Happy Sunday! kiss kiss kiss

I chose the name for two reasons:

1. When I logged on on Nairaland, my grandpa was very sick and I used to sit everyday in hospital after work worrying about him. We have a very close relationship and as much as I am his favourite, he is the man I love the most in the whole universe wink . So I wished for him to get better again and be carefree again.

2. I am someone who thinks too much about everything and everyone, so I have to remind myself over and over again to be a lil bit more carefree wink
interesting! But sometimes u sound too old and sometimes u sound too tendergrin anyway, I just like your manner on this forum...if u are like this in real life, then u deserve good things, but if u aren't like this in real life, pray, work towards being like this and u will live a happy, enviable life. Happy Mondaygrin
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 21, 2013
DailyNews: interesting! But sometimes u sound too old and sometimes u sound too tendergrin anyway, I just like your manner on this forum...if u are like this in real life, then u deserve good things, but if u aren't like this in real life, pray, work towards being like this and u will live a happy, enviable life. Happy Mondaygrin

What does "too old" and "too tender" mean? grin

Happy Monday to you too wink
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 5:26pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:

What does "too old" and "too tender" mean? grin

Happy Monday to you too wink
Meaning that sometimes u sound like u are above 30...u know females tend be behave better when they get to 30 and above cheesy cheesy...and sometimes, u sound like a teen or will I say a mid 20 shocked
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 21, 2013
DailyNews: Meaning that sometimes u sound like u are above 30...[b]u know females tend be behave better when they get to 30 [/b]and above cheesy cheesy...and sometimes, u sound like a teen or will I say a mid 20 shocked

Yet, some men prefer girls around 20.

Let's say, I am somewhere in between wink
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 5:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Yet, some men prefer girls around 20.

Let's say, I am somewhere in between wink
I have no preference though...but can't date or marry someone that's older than me by say 2 years....my age mate or 1 year ahead is ok...and then...I can't marry someone below 25yrs...I can court the person if need be...and wait till she reaches 25yrs and above..but I prefer matured ladies...above 25yrs or within that...than below...cos of girly acts grin
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 7:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
DailyNews: I have no preference though...but can't date or marry someone that's older than me by say 2 years....my age mate or 1 year ahead is ok...and then...I can't marry someone below 25yrs...I can court the person if need be...and wait till she reaches 25yrs and above..but I prefer matured ladies...above 25yrs or within that...than below...cos of girly acts grin

You must be older than 25 then, right?
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by jmoore(m): 7:40pm On Oct 21, 2013
Love is a duty..
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 7:44pm On Oct 21, 2013
jmoore: Love is a duty..
Explain pls!
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 7:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:

You must be older than 25 then, right?
Definitely, I should be.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 7:58pm On Oct 21, 2013
DailyNews: Definitely, I should be.

If you were not that far away, I'd love to have a drink or two with you wink
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by jmoore(m): 8:25pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:
Explain pls!

When we see love as a feeling then things might get out of hand when we are not feeling right.
To have a duty to love means that one should not be motivated to love the person for the person’s sake but for the sake of the duty.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
jmoore:

When we see love as a feeling then things might get out of hand when we are not feeling right.
To have a duty to love means that one should not be motivated to love the person for the person’s sake but for the sake of the duty.

This is interesting. Quite easy to understand but very hard to apply, at least for me, because I have always taken it for granted that love is a feeling, the best feeling ever, so how can one accept love as a duty?
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 9:16pm On Oct 21, 2013
carefreewannabe:

If you were not that far away, I'd love to have a drink or two with you wink
Hmmm, I am very very complicated than I sound here ogrin in fact, sometimes I feel I have been negatively affected by over-sabigrin I know God will surely help me out and make me a better person than I am now. So dnt judge by wot I type here only o...wait until u knw me in person cos I may not be as u think shaa. Have a lovely nightsmiley
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 9:16am On Oct 22, 2013
DailyNews: Hmmm, I am very very complicated than I sound here ogrin in fact, sometimes I feel I have been negatively affected by over-sabigrin I know God will surely help me out and make me a better person than I am now. So dnt judge by wot I type here only o... wait until u knw me in person cos I may not be as u think shaa. Have a lovely nightsmiley

Having a drink or two would help to get to know the complicated side of you wink
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by bukatyne(f): 10:33am On Oct 22, 2013
Love is the most important thing in marriage...

However, love is NOT the muchy feeling we feel tongue

1 Cor 13: 1-13 defines it perfectly!
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by folyboy2013: 10:51am On Oct 22, 2013
Love is what every marriage needed, without Love there is no God.
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 4:18pm On Oct 22, 2013
carefreewannabe:

Having a drink or two would help to get to know the complicated side of you wink
You really sound great....and very good at making someone feel nice and valued, keep it up cool
Re: Importance Of Love In A Marriage by Nobody: 4:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
DailyNews: You really sound great....and very good at making someone feel nice and valued, keep it up cool

smiley smiley smiley

I have plenty of time do so grin as I am on holiday wink
Happy Tuesday!

(1) (Reply)

Tell Us Your Date In This Month & Meet Your Birth-Mate(HBD To May 31st Borns) ? / Photos That Will Make Even The Toughest Person Shed A Tear / Snow Sea Freezer Vs Hiscence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.