Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:50 AM

Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? (5078 Views)

House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right / Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by texazzpete(m): 8:33am On Jul 07, 2008
Check this quote made by Lord Lugard in 1926.
Any of these ring a bell?

"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. Lacking in self control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages the African appears to have evolved no organized religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility , he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue, In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy, Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future."

---Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)
Re: Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by chikeze(m): 10:02am On Jul 07, 2008
hi texazzpete, been looking out for you thank god i found you. i know this is not the right section for this but please come to my aid. i just installed your iphone pc suite you posted sometime ago. but when i try to connect my iphone to the pc suite this is the messege i get: if you have unlocked your iphone using ziphone you must follow these instructions before using iphone pc suite:

1.add this source to installer sources:i.unlock.no

2.Go to installers unlocking tools category and install ziphone ibrickr fix

3.Resart your iphone.

Before installing this patch, you will not be able to use iphone PC Suite!

i dont know what to do i just got this iphone. please can you guide me on how to install all this. thanks very much
Re: Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by texazzpete(m): 10:30am On Jul 07, 2008
Can you move this request to the 'Phones' section? I'll help you there.
Re: Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by Sagamite(m): 10:41am On Jul 07, 2008
texazzpete:

Check this quote made by Lord Lugard in 1926.
Any of these ring a bell?

"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person. Lacking in self control, discipline, and foresight. Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery. His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past. His mind is far nearer to the animal world than that of the European or Asiatic, and exhibits something of the animals’ placidity and want of desire to rise beyond the State he has reached. Through the ages the African appears to have evolved no organized religious creed, and though some tribes appear to believe in a deity, the religious sense seldom rises above pantheistic animalism and seems more often to take the form of a vague dread of the supernatural"

“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business. He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility , he will work hard with a less incentive than most races. He has the courage of the fighting animal, an instinct rather than a moral virtue, In brief, the virtues and defects of this race-type are those of attractive children, whose confidence when it is won is given ungrudgingly as to an older and wiser superior and without envy, Perhaps the two traits which have impressed me as those most characteristic of the African native are his lack of apprehension and his lack of ability to visualize the future."

---Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)

Racist thoughts of a racist mofo.

I can see the British people's "self control, discipline, and foresight" when the whole nation drink themselves to death every weekend under the stupid guise of "we are having a good time".
Re: Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by lucabrasi(m): 11:50am On Jul 07, 2008
i dont think we should take much notice of this ,considering the time he did the analysis,if we ll be perfectly honest the africa of that time as a white colonial master or whaever will see it will not be much diffrent from that,remember these were the days the average african will have many wives,the only occupation/aspiration is subsistence farming,sitting under the tree and eating pounded yam and palm wine, what the average european saw as the african s lack of ability to visualize the future an african of that time will see as contentment,if you getting worked up with this right up then you should check this out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cesare_Lombroso

there are more detailed literary works on positivism and other scientists who believed in it even up to this day but thats just to give you an idea of what the thinking was,so in my opinion lugard was even fair for a queens representative of that time and mind set
Re: Lord Lugard On Africans! Any Truth In This? by deor03(m): 12:22pm On Jul 07, 2008
As hard as this is for me, I admit that most of the things Luggard wrote about a typical African in 1926 are True.
There are very few exceptions, that is why it is very difficult for us to have roles models.

After the Ziks, Awo's, Bello's, Muritala's, which other leader can we point to in our country, that has foresight or not selfish, even the tribal leaders  use their position to take advantage of their so called  tribe men.

People struggle to become governors, not because they want to govern,  but because the want to show power.

Is it not animalistic to steal money from your country and take it to another man's country to keep it; tell me what is the difference, If your chicken that you feed everyday, chooses to lay her egg in your neighbours compound? Animals will always be animals. angry

(1) (Reply)

Do Lagosians Still Want An Underground Rail System? / MKO's Brain, Heart, Other Internal Organs Removed - Brother(s) / JEGA: What President Jonathan Asks Me To Do About Election Result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.