Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,793 members, 7,810,065 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right (6654 Views)

London In 1926 Neater And More Organised Than Any City In Nigeria In Year 2050 / House Where Lugard Signed Amalgamation Of Northern Southern Nigeria. -PICS / Lord Lugard And His Impression Of Nigerians And Africans In General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by seyenko(m): 11:02am On Aug 18, 2011
"In character and temperament, the typical African of this race-type is a happy, thriftless, excitable person.
Lacking in self control, discipline, and foresight.
Naturally courageous, and naturally courteous and polite, full of personal vanity, with little sense of veracity, fond of music and loving weapons as an oriental loves jewellery.
His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past.
“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business.
He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility "

Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by velo10: 11:05am On Aug 18, 2011
Our colonial master was obviously a good analyst of human behavior and tendencies. I'd love to read that book someday. He was so right.

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by seyenko(m): 11:08am On Aug 18, 2011
I look at Nigeria of 2011 and I can see vividly the description of 1926
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by udezue(m): 2:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
Well he was right but he is an ediot for forming that nation.
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 18, 2011
"His thoughts are concentrated on the events and feelings of the moment, and he suffers little from the apprehension for the future, or grief for the past.
“He lacks the power of organization, and is conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business.
"

He must have been describing the British their arbitrary creation called Nigeria.
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 18, 2011
'typical African of this race type' whch one n particula was he talkng about? Dere ar plenty of races n a region called Nigeria!
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by youngmonie: 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2011
From 1922 to 1936 he was British representative on the League of Nations' Permanent Mandates Commission. Lugard's The Dual Mandate in British Tropical Africa was published in 1922. It discusses indirect rule in colonial Africa. In this work, Lugard outlined the reasons and methods that he recommended for the colonisation of Africa by Britain. Some of his justifications included spreading Christianity and ending barbarism. He also saw state-sponsored colonisation as a way to protect missionaries, local chiefs, and local people from each other as well as from foreign powers. Also, for Lugard, it was vital that Britain gain control of unclaimed areas before Germany, Portugal, or France claimed the land and its resources for themselves. He realised that there were vast profits to be made through the exporting of resources like rubber and through taxation of native populations, as well as importers and exporters. In addition, these resources and inexpensive native labour (slavery having been outlawed by Britain in 1834) would provide vital fuel for the industrial revolution in resource-depleted Britain as well as monies for public works projects. Finally, Lugard reasoned that colonisation had become a fad and that in order to remain a super power, Britain would need to hold colonies in order to avoid appearing weak.
Lugard pushed for native rule in African colonies. He reasoned that black Africans were very different from white Europeans. He did speculate about the admixture of Aryan or Hamitic blood arising from the advent of Islam amongst the Hausa and Fulani.[4] He considered that natives should act as a sort of middle manager in colonial governance. This would avoid revolt because, as Lugard believed, the people of Africa would be more likely to follow someone who looked like them, spoke their languages, and shared their customs.
Olufemi Taiwo argues that in fact Lugard blocked qualified Africans educated in Britain from playing an active role in the development of the country, preferring to advance prominent Hausa and Fulani leaders from traditional structures.[5]
[edit]

Got that peice from wiki>>>>>>but the highlighted bits is quite interestingg!!

1 Like

Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by itstpia8: 2:42pm On May 11, 2016
Hm, well, these can be weaknesses or strengths depending on how they are addressed.
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 11, 2016
seyenko:

He loves the display of power, but fails to realize its responsibility"

Lord Frederick John Dealty Lugard, The Dual Mandate, pg.70 (1926)

Our leaders in a nutshell.

2 Likes

Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by itstpia8: 4:00pm On May 11, 2016
full of personal vanity

Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by Nobody: 4:07pm On May 11, 2016
What tribe in nigeria was he referring here?
I have one tribe for mind for but make I still keep am for mind for now.
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by itstpia8: 4:09pm On May 11, 2016
with little sense of veracity

conspicuously deficient in the management and control alike of men or business
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by Babalegba(m): 4:10pm On May 11, 2016
Uncannily accurate
Re: Lord Lugard Thought On Nigeria In 1926 - At Times I Wonder If He Was Right by free13: 4:37pm On May 11, 2016
Hmmm..

(1) (Reply)

Dangote To Build 1,000-bed Hospital In Kano / Short Profile Of Professor Yemi Osinbajo / Why I Cancelled Lagos Metroline Project –buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.