Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,490 members, 7,819,785 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:17 PM

The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture (32154 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / What Does This Symbol Mean: What Is Its History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 5:53pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: You wrote and I rephrase,"some of the earliest settlers were uru......ERI "
So,you actually have Eri descendants ?

Oh, beautiful. There's an 'Eri' there, therefore it must be same as Aguleri's Eri. Even when there are no traditions making such a connection. Even when Awka people clearly state that before Nri got to the present site of Nri town, these aboriginal people were already there in Awka. Even when NRI traditions (mark my words NRI traditions, NOT Awka propaganda) recorded as far back as 1935 clearly state that an Awka smith assisted Eri to settle in Aguleri.

Its all good....
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Maybe I should say we founded Awka-Etiti, too.... There's an 'Awka' there. Who knows? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by ChinenyeN(m): 6:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: You wrote and I rephrase,"some of the earliest settlers were uru......ERI "
So,you actually have Eri descendants ?
It's ignorant of you to talk like this. You have no idea what the "eri" in Urueri acrually represents. If indeed it references Nri/Eri, cool. If not (which it probably doesn't), fine. Either way, it is not okay to peddle unsubstantiated inferences about other people's history, simply because you see a three letter word that spells "eri".

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
Plus, I know the story about Eri and his sons. Perhaps you should tell me which of Eri's sons founded Dunukofia or Umudioka...
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:08pm On Oct 22, 2013
ChinenyeN:
It's ignorant of you to talk like this. You have no idea what the "eri" in Urueri acrually represents. If indeed it references Nri/Eri, cool. If not, fine. But it is okay to peddle unsubstantiated inferences, simply because you see a three letter word that spells "eri".

I am not peddling rumours...I was just seeking clarity. But instead of him to say he is not sure about uru-ERI peoples origin he came out to insinuate that it is unconnected with Eri.

By the way,shouldn't you be somewhere researching about the origin of NGWA and their distinctness ?

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo: Maybe I should say we founded Awka-Etiti, too.... There's an 'Awka' there. Who knows? undecided

What if you people are related to Awka-Etiti ? What about the blacksmithing Awka aka Awka-Uzu ? And do you know Awkuzu are Nri descendants ?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

What if you people are related to Awka-Etiti ? What about the blacksmithing Awka aka Awka-Uzu ? And do you know Awkuzu are Nri descendants ?

Awkuzu is not even pronounced as Awka-Uzu (Awka-Smith, transliterally). I know where u are going with that.

And we are digressing a little here. The fact remains no Awka quarter or kindred traces its origin to Nri or Eri. We interacted, but we knew we were different.

PS: Have u heard of Ogene Anuka, a ritual-musical essemble from Aguleri?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo: Plus, I know the story about Eri and his sons. Perhaps you should tell me which of Eri's sons founded Dunukofia or Umudioka...

Why don't we start with you telling me the origin of uru-ERI. I will be very disappointed if you don't know.

Well,I will suggest you drop the Dunukofia story because ain't gonna work. You have limited knowledge of your people yet you wanna infuse new stories. Dude,if I were you I will stick to telling displaying the culture of your people. Stop trying to add sshit to things. It usually arise from insecurity. Not being satisfied with what you have,so you add things to make you feel better.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

Awkuzu is not even pronounced as Awka-Uzu (Awka-Smith, transliterally). I know where u are going with that.

And we are digressing a little here. The fact remains no Awka quarter or kindred traces its origin to Nri or Eri. We interacted, but we knew we were different.

PS: Have u heard of Ogene Anuka, a ritual-musical essemble from Aguleri?

Well,you are just telling me but you haven't proved anything....Nothing just hearsay. I need proof and I know you don't have proof and I also know why you ain't got proof....Nwa Awka,jeke nolu ani ka nwa onye Nri kwuo okwu!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:36pm On Oct 22, 2013
Interesting thread.

What modern day LGAs span Awka as you describe? Are Awka-South/Awka-North towns historically part of Awka proper?

Also, were there any longstanding relationships between Otuocha/Anam people and Awka?
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 6:38pm On Oct 22, 2013
Yea,and we have umu-ERI,ora-ERI,agulu-ERI,ire-ERI ................and the very distinct uru-ERI Awka that dropped from the sky....hahaha

What a resounding coincidence!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Why don't we start with you telling me the origin of uru-ERI. I will be very disappointed if you don't know.

Well,I will suggest you drop the Dunukofia story because ain't gonna work. You have limited knowledge of your people yet you wanna infuse new stories. Dude,if I were you I will stick to telling displaying the culture of your people. Stop trying to add sshit to things. It usually arise from insecurity. Not being satisfied with what you have,so you add things to make you feel better.

LOL. Because I disagree with the Nri-centric view of Igbo history, I don't know my people's history again, eh? I certainly know more about my people than you do. I've been researching them since I was 17. I have tried as much as i can to give an objective account. I rejected some of the 'claims' I found in our traditions, and didn't include them here because they weren't substantiated.

There's nothing to feel insecure about. If I can say so myself, Awka left its mark. I don't need to deny Nri its due in other for my own to shine brighter. But I've noticed that Nri writers are over-stretching their hands. Go and read the traditions of Akokwa people about Nri. I didn't want to delve into it because it might prove controversial, and i dont have the time for a word battle.

Urueri is ancient. Very ancient. They have no traditions of coming from anywhere. We know when Nri came. The traditions are there. If the traditions could remember when Nri came, but can't remember when Urueri came...<shrugs>
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
nnenna.1:
Interesting thread.

What modern day LGAs span Awka as you describe? Are Awka-South/Awka-North towns historically part of Awka proper?

Also, were there any longstanding relationships between Otuocha/Anam people and Awka?

This is just about the town Awka, not the entire Awka South LGA of which Awka forms a part. Awka people and Otuocha/Anam aren't related...except in the sense that Awka travellers were practically everywhere. Otuocha was definitely a stopping place for Awka smiths travelling down to the delta.

But I guess I know why u asked. I spent a week in Anam some years back, and their dialect sounds very much like Awka.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 7:05pm On Oct 22, 2013
NRI PRIEST: Yea,and we have umu-ERI,ora-ERI,agulu-ERI,ire-ERI ................and the very distinct uru-ERI Awka that dropped from the sky....hahaha

What a resounding coincidence!

We should include Okwara-ESHI in Nkwerre, Imo State. and some other places that have ESHI in their name. Eshi is a variation of Eri...so I've been told.
But quick questions: Any Nri man can give u d traditions of how Umueri, Oraeri, Aguleri etc came to be. Including who the leaders were, what obstacles they faced, etc. If Urueri is from Eri, as u claim, do Nri/Eri people have any traditions about Urueri? How come they don't? How come Urueri people themselves don't?

By the way, there's another village in Awka called Umueri. their founder was not Eri of Aguleri. their founder was named Eri Onwa, an Amaenyiana man. U will say I'm making this up. Thank God Amanke Okafor's book, The Awka People, is available online for download in pdf format. Download, if u care. Read. Don't infer things when u don't have all the information. A THOUSAND DIFFERENT PEOPLE COULD HAVE BORN THAT NAME, EVER THOUGHT OF THAT If we came from Nri, we would acknowledged it. We have acknowledged other settlers, why won't we acknowledge Nri if indeed they formed part of our ancestry. I should fabricate traditions that are not there just to please you?

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by pokur: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

LOL. Because I disagree with the Nri-centric view of Igbo history, I don't know my people's history again, eh? I certainly know more about my people than you do. I've been researching them since I was 17. I have tried as much as i can to give an objective account. I rejected some of the 'claims' I found in our traditions, and didn't include them here because they weren't substantiated.

There's nothing to feel insecure about. If I can say so myself, Awka left its mark. I don't need to deny Nri its due in other for my own to shine brighter. But I've noticed that Nri writers are over-stretching their hands. Go and read the traditions of Akokwa people about Nri. I didn't want to delve into it because it might prove controversial, and i dont have the time for a word battle.

Urueri is ancient. Very ancient. They have no traditions of coming from anywhere. We know when Nri came. The traditions are there. If the traditions could remember when Nri came, but can't remember when Urueri came...<shrugs>
U are conflating Eri n Nri.Nri proceeded out of Eri.I do believe more research need to be done on Eri descendants n their settlements,not just Nri.
Back to topic,right from childhood my elders always referred Nri-Oka as if they were one.They may be different people,but I think they evolved a single civilization not parallel ones
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by pokur: 7:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Btw,from ur earlier posts it seems Nnewi dialect is majorly a mix of Nri n Awka.At least,what we speak my part of Nnewi (Uruagu)
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 8:09pm On Oct 22, 2013
pokur:
....my elders always referred Nri-Oka as if they were one.They may be different people,but I think they evolved a single civilization not parallel ones

There activities were complementary. But one did not proceed from the other.

@single civilization, not parallel ones... this would appear to be the case.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 8:14pm On Oct 22, 2013
pokur: Btw,from ur earlier posts it seems Nnewi dialect is majorly a mix of Nri n Awka.At least,what we speak my part of Nnewi (Uruagu)

Do they speak different dialects in different quarters of Nnewi? I heard Nnewi people say, "Bia uka a" (Similar to Awka's "Bia ika a"wink. But I never heard any Nnewi person say that while I was at Otolo-Nnewi.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:01pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

Urueri might be an ancient village for all I care but the truth remain that you have no idea where they originated from,hence I will suggested you leave it under probability,simple. Don't start saying what you don't know. It is an insult for you to say that "Nri writers are over-stretching their hands" because Nri influence and hegemony is far and will beyond Awka. You are full of contradiction because of your confusion and refusal to stay away from what is bigger than you; Firstly,you stated Awka people has no history of originating from anywhere. Secondly,you admitted some migrated from Umudioka and Adagbe. Can't you see what you are doing to yourself ? It simply shows your ignorance of your own peoples history. I have told you to drop that issue and focuse more on showcasing the colorful culture of the ancient Awka town.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:10pm On Oct 22, 2013
pokur:
U are conflating Eri n Nri.Nri proceeded out of Eri.I do believe more research need to be done on Eri descendants n their settlements,not just Nri.
Back to topic,right from childhood my elders always referred Nri-Oka as if they were one.They may be different people,but I think they evolved a single civilization not parallel ones

The guy is an amateur. This is my first time hearing people refer to Eri/Eru as "ESHI". What a charactter ! He even ignored some of the ancient history told by his elders. CHINENYE THE SECOND!

"He has the Onicha man disease"....lol
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:12pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

Do they speak different dialects in different quarters of Nnewi? I heard Nnewi people say, "Bia uka a" (Similar to Awka's "Bia ika a"wink. But I never heard any Nnewi person say that while I was at Otolo-Nnewi.

Yea,you ignored the part that doesn't feed your motive. Go to AWGBU,Orumba south and hear them speak....funny dude!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

We should include Okwara-ESHI in Nkwerre, Imo State. and some other places that have ESHI in their name. Eshi is a variation of Eri...so I've been told.
But quick questions: Any Nri man can give u d traditions of how Umueri, Oraeri, Aguleri etc came to be. Including who the leaders were, what obstacles they faced, etc. If Urueri is from Eri, as u claim, do Nri/Eri people have any traditions about Urueri? How come they don't? How come Urueri people themselves don't?

By the way, there's another village in Awka called Umueri. their founder was not Eri of Aguleri. their founder was named Eri Onwa, an Amaenyiana man. U will say I'm making this up. Thank God Amanke Okafor's book, The Awka People, is available online for download in pdf format. Download, if u care. Read. Don't infer things when u don't have all the information. A THOUSAND DIFFERENT PEOPLE COULD HAVE BORN THAT NAME, EVER THOUGHT OF THAT If we came from Nri, we would acknowledged it. We have acknowledged other settlers, why won't we acknowledge Nri if indeed they formed part of our ancestry. I should fabricate traditions that are not there just to please you?

Eshi is not Eri/Eru....Eri is the father of Ifikuanim the founder of Nri Kingdom/Umu Nri/Nshi clan,Namoke,Iguedo.. I don't know anything about Akokwa people and I don't claim them,however,if they claim to be of Nri origin we will investigate them and decide on that. We don't beg anybody to be part of us but we will always accept one of us.

Who the ffuck are you to say you will acknowledge Nri ? Nri gave Awka Nze na Ozo ! Your forefathers kissed Nri aasses.....You have nothing to celebrate!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
Radoillo:

There activities were complementary. But one did not proceed from the other.

@single civilization, not parallel ones... this would appear to be the case.

Get this into your thick skull....NRI COLONIZED AWKA...Awka were Nri workmen !
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by ketoprofen(m): 9:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Abagworo:

Everything you listed up there does not exist in majority of todays Igboland. It is only the 4 market days which exists everywhere else including Igala and Bini that you can find in most Igboland. Nze n'ozo is confided to a small area unless in cases they were recently borrowed.

What you are trying to do is like Fulanis arrogantly claiming Hausas originated from them because they brought Islam and influenced Hausa culture.

Read this link http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2013/08/11/essay-the-politics-of-igbo-origin-and-culture/

In order not to derail this thread, I'll open another.

Am sure Of ala still exists
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Abagworo(m): 9:28pm On Oct 22, 2013
The reason why the true origin, interaction and evolution of Igbo people cannot be realized any time soon is the erroneous lies fabricated earlier to give an impression of a homogenous Igbo people and culture with Nri roots and ancestry without respect for the individual towns, clans and subgroups account of themselves.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by ketoprofen(m): 9:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
Its already obvious Igbo has different origins. I don't see the point of all the arguments, even at the sec sch level, we were made to know of at least 3 theories.
Hence, To each man his own

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by salam001(m): 9:47pm On Oct 22, 2013
intresting thread
you make me remember my own dialect,in my own dialect
ife/ihe = ishe
ofia/ohia = oshia
ifele/ihere = ishele
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:49pm On Oct 22, 2013
ketoprofen:

Am sure Of ala still exists

Believe that garbage at your own risk!
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by NRIPRIEST(m): 9:55pm On Oct 22, 2013
Abagworo: The reason why the true origin, interaction and evolution of Igbo people cannot be realized any time soon is the erroneous lies fabricated earlier to give an impression of a homogenous Igbo people and culture with Nri roots and ancestry without respect for the individual towns, clans and subgroups account of themselves.

The history of Eri/Nshi always stated they migrated from North. There is no error but the inability of the the original settlers to tell their history. Eri settled and introduced his culture and religion,the aborigins loved it and adopted it and today we are all Igbo.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Handsomegod(m): 10:02pm On Oct 22, 2013
@OP Radiollo. U did a great work in showcasing the colourful culture and history of Awka "dynasty". U really enlightened us. @Nri Priest,with all due regard to ur ancestral dominance@a time in history vis the civilization that defined a lot of as Igbos that we identify with today,am absolutely sure from the write up so far, that the OP did not at any point downplay Nri supremacy/ merits relative to Awka history. If u guys don't moderate ur outbursts,it may soon get dirty and derail the value of dis beautiful thread. That we can show interest and document knowledge as this is a breathe of fresh air at a time our collective and individual cultural enghlightenement are under threat. Pls is there a documented record of ezechima's original ancestry? Is he by chance a descendant of eri who travelled out like igbo's won't to do only to trace his way back and found most of the towns in western igbo and onicha ado as well? Let peace reign here. Ekenem unu!

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 12:17am On Oct 23, 2013
NRI PRIEST:

Get this into your thick skull....NRI COLONIZED AWKA...Awka were Nri workmen !

Either u know nothing of Igbo history or u re just doing this for fun.... Ignoring u from now on . Thanks for the stimulating convo, though. smiley
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by bigfrancis21: 12:52am On Oct 23, 2013
Radoillo:

Actually, the dialectical versions or Nri I've seen so far are Nshi(Delta Igbo) and Ishi(Nsukka). I'm yet to hear or see 'Eshi'. That's a totally different pronunciation.

Eshi is an Igbo word though that has other meanings though. In Nsukka dialect, body(aru/ahu) is 'eshi'. For eg, Ka m whuma Eshi(let me take my bath). Eshi a digi m oyi(I'm not feeling fine). In many imo dialects, Eshi means 'day' or 'mbosi' as we know it in Anambra parlance. For eg, eshi ahu nwa'akiri ahu biara nga, ma shi ya shimakwala n'uyo m fuma. (That day that child came here, I told her to leave my house).

Just a little expose from my stay so far in various areas in Igboland. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Why Are Most People Guilty Of This? / Oba Charles Ibitoye Is Dead (Olomu Of Omu-Aran)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.