Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,511 members, 7,819,846 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:59 AM

The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture (32158 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / 7 Common Wedding Traditions And Their Origins! / What Does This Symbol Mean: What Is Its History (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 1:07am On Oct 23, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Actually, the dialectical versions or Nri I've seen so far are Nshi(Delta Igbo) and Ishi(Nsukka). I'm yet to hear or see 'Eshi'. That's a totally different pronunciation.

Eshi is an Igbo word though that has other meanings though. In Nsukka dialect, body(aru/ahu) is 'eshi'. For eg, Ka m whuma Eshi(let me take my bath). Eshi a digi m oyi(I'm not feeling fine). In many imo dialects, Eshi means 'day' or 'mbosi' as we know it in Anambra parlance. For eg, eshi ahu nwa'akiri ahu biara nga, ma shi ya shimakwala n'uyo m fuma. (That day that child came here, I told her to leave my house).

Just a little expose from my stay so far in various areas in Igboland. smiley

Oh. That part of my argument stands corrected then. It's just that Nri priest's line of argument makes me wonder if one cannot claim that Okwara Eshi who founded (or is said to have founded) Nkwerre was actually Okpara Eri, son of Eri..... If the sources do not make a connection between two people bearing same or similar name, we shouldn't try to force a connection. I could very well claim that Aguleri actually came from aboriginal Urueri people. or that Eri Onwa of Amaenyiana is the same guy that traveled to Aguleri and founded the town and the other 'Umueri' towns.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by odumchi: 2:09am On Oct 23, 2013
What an excellent and informative thread. A breath of fresh air. Who knew that wild elephants once roamed the Anambra plain, or that a people had developed a hunting culture in pursuit of these creatures?

Radiollo, I don't know whether it's a coincidence or if there's a legitimate explanation for this, but some of the elements of Awka dialect which you explained mirror those found in dialects in my area (Bende zone).

?Central Igbo – otu (English: Way/Manner)
Awka – ele [In a sentence: ‘Ele I shi eme omefu adụrọ mma’ or ‘Ele I shi eme omefu amaagara.’ Means ‘The way you behave is not good’ or ‘Otu I si eme omume adịghị mma’ in Central Igbo]

Communities in my local government (Arochukwu, Ihechiowa, Okobo, Ututu) use 'ele' but in a slightly different manner. We use it to either mean 'way/manner' or in comparisons and it replaces 'ka' in Central Igbo. 'I di ele nwami/nwonyinye onhu' means 'you look like that woman' in Ututu dialect.

Your use of 'nne' is also very similar to how we use 'nnaa', which is pronounced like 'I gaa' (you did not go). There are many ways we use 'nnaa' and its exact meaning often fluctuates based on context. However when someone says something worthy of agreement, we either say 'o nnaa' or 'owei', whereas a Central Igbo-speaker would say 'o eziokwu'.

Also, since 'omefu' means 'behavior' in Awka, do 'uma' (behavior/habit) 'agwa' and 'akparamagwa' (character) exist in your lexicon?

Nwonyeke, I vakaala nvaka! (You have tried)

Let's have this on the front page.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 2:32am On Oct 23, 2013
Thanks smiley

It might not be a coincidence; Awka might have picked up certain usages from the people they worked among. Other people might have picked from them as well; I really can't say. (We might have picked 'wa' from Agbaja, and 'iwo' from Abiriba...It could equally have been the other way.)

Uma and akparamagwa aren't used in Awka. Agwa is used - 'One can say, 'Ele I shi akpa agwa'. 'The way you behave'.

Ele in Awka and ele in Bende zone might derive from a common source, but it appears both dialect areas use it differently.

As an Aro man, I was half-expecting you to disagree with the account that the founder of Aro-Ndikelionwu was an Awka slave boy (adopted and raised as an Aro man)... the way Nri priest has been contesting some of the things i said concerning Nri-Awka relations...LOL cheesy
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by odumchi: 3:29am On Oct 23, 2013
Radoillo: Thanks smiley

It might not be a coincidence; Awka might have picked up certain usages from the people they worked among. Other people might have picked from them as well; I really can't say. (We might have picked 'wa' from Agbaja, and 'iwo' from Abiriba...It could equally have been the other way.)

Uma and akparamagwa aren't used in Awka. Agwa is used - 'One can say, 'Ele I shi akpa agwa'. 'The way you behave'.

Ele in Awka and ele in Bende zone might derive from a common source, but it appears both dialect areas use it differently.

As an Aro man, I was half-expecting you to disagree with the account that the founder of Aro-Ndikelionwu was an Awka slave boy (adopted and raised as an Aro man)... the way Nri priest has been contesting some of the things i said concerning Nri-Awka relations...LOL cheesy

Thanks. This is really interesting.

Actually, I don't disagree with anything in particular regarding the account of the founder of Aro-Ndikelionwu being an adopted slave. I find it quite plausible, in fact. We Aro people have always been in the numerical minority and we have always been conscious of this fact. Our ancestors openly adopted slaves and foreigners and incorporated them into their families and bloodlines so as to grow exponentially in number and influence. So it's nothing out of the ordinary. Nri-Priest is an Anambra Nri supremacist. You can't discuss anything concerning Igboland with him without first accepting Nri as your lord and savior.

4 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by oboy3(m): 7:05am On Oct 23, 2013
salam001: intresting thread
you make me remember my own dialect,in my own dialect
ife/ihe = ishe
ofia/ohia = oshia
ifele/ihere = ishele
this your own dialect dey one kind o
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 7:53am On Oct 23, 2013
o'boy:

Sounds a bit like what I know about Enuani. I'm guessing he's from there, or from the part of Anambra closest to Enuani.

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by salam001(m): 9:09am On Oct 23, 2013
o'boy:
lol madt boy
Radoillo:

Sounds a bit like what I know about Enuani. I'm guessing he's from there, or from the part of Anambra closest to Enuani.
i am from idemili south anambra state,yah,i hear some delta igbo call market ashia like we do in my town but you know due to the lack of written history like many other igbo towns we cant possibly say where we came from,but am guessing we might have had some relationship with the aniomas in the past
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by pokur: 11:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
Radoillo:

Do they speak different dialects in different quarters of Nnewi? I heard Nnewi people say, "Bia uka a" (Similar to Awka's "Bia ika a"wink. But I never heard any Nnewi person say that while I was at Otolo-Nnewi.
"Bia uka a" is right,though it's gradually being replaced by "Bia ebe a".Same as "rinne" is being replaced by "hinne".
You should have gone round the four Quarters to get the full feel of Nnewi dialect.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 12:15am On Oct 24, 2013
pokur:
"Bia uka a" is right,though it's gradually being replaced by "Bia ebe a".Same as "rinne" is being replaced by "hinne".
You should have gone round the four Quarters to get the full feel of Nnewi dialect.

Wish I could have. But I didn't stay that long in Nnewi. Interesting dialect, really. I remember the first time someone asked me, "O anake I wi?" and I was like, "Huh?"
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 1:45am On Oct 24, 2013
Coooolllllllllllllll!
I'm from Awka. Nice to see this. kiss
This thread really puts in perspective why majority of us are not at home. It's the traveling spirit, lol. cheesy

The European arrivals were taken to the compound of Onwurah Ukozu, a prominent personage from Umuanaga Village. Describing the hall of Onwurah, Mrs Dennis writes:

As he [Onwurah] was a chief of very high standing his compound was an elaborate one. The walls were beautifully smooth, and painted over with all sorts of queer designs. The door, boxes and other wooden articles were quaintly carved. Here we rested during the heat of the day, and in the afternoon went into a large open space where we preached to the large crowd who soon gathered around us.’

Now that's my great grandpa! cool cool cool
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 8:33am On Oct 24, 2013
stillwater: Coooolllllllllllllll!
I'm from Awka. Nice to see this. kiss
This thread really puts in perspective why majority of us are not at home. It's the traveling spirit, lol. cheesy

Now that's my great grandpa! cool cool cool

Seriously? shocked shocked shocked Now i'm jealous sad Apparently none of my ancestors did anything to merit a mention in the history books. grin
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 3:39pm On Oct 24, 2013
Radoillo:

Seriously? shocked shocked shocked Now i'm jealous sad Apparently none of my ancestors did anything to merit a mention in the history books. grin

Very serious. cheesy
Not only my great granddaddy, cheesy Chi Onwurah has put our name out there again.
There's another Ngozi Onwurah that did it too. cheesy cheesy
Ngozi Onwurah

Black British filmmaker Ngozi Onwurah takes on the issues of time and space in her work which embraces heterogeneity and multiple sites of subjectivity. Onwurah consistently navigates and challenges the limits of narrative and ethnographic cinema by insisting that the body is the central landscape of an anti-imperialist cinematic discourse.

An accomplished director with several episodes of the top British TV drama series "Heartbeat" to her credit, Ngozi Onwurah also wrote and directed the prize-winning feature "Welcome II the Terrordome." Sometimes fierce and at others more gently humorous, Onwurah tackles the clashes and ironies of the apparent gulf separating black and white, whilst showing that under the skin, emotions are universal.
Onwurah’s films have won prizes at the Berlin Film Festival, Germany; Melbourne Film Festival, Australia; Toronto Film Festival, Canada; and at NBPC, USA. (09/09)

2 Likes

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 3:48pm On Oct 24, 2013
stillwater:

Very serious. cheesy
Not only my great granddaddy, cheesy Chi Onwurah has put our name out there again.
Ngozi Onwurah

Black British filmmaker Ngozi Onwurah takes on the issues of time and space in her work which embraces heterogeneity and multiple sites of subjectivity. Onwurah consistently navigates and challenges the limits of narrative and ethnographic cinema by insisting that the body is the central landscape of an anti-imperialist cinematic discourse.

An accomplished director with several episodes of the top British TV drama series "Heartbeat" to her credit, Ngozi Onwurah also wrote and directed the prize-winning feature "Welcome II the Terrordome." Sometimes fierce and at others more gently humorous, Onwurah tackles the clashes and ironies of the apparent gulf separating black and white, whilst showing that under the skin, emotions are universal.
Onwurah’s films have won prizes at the Berlin Film Festival, Germany; Melbourne Film Festival, Australia; Toronto Film Festival, Canada; and at NBPC, USA. (09/09)

Wow...wink I'll look up Ngozi Onwurah. Gotta confess I didn't really know her.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Wulfruna(f): 12:39am On Nov 03, 2013
Hmm. Good post. Almost ruined by the Nri-tainted debate. Fascinating that these people from the heart of Igboland reached Isoko and Urhobo. My maternal grandpa's is Itsekiri, neighbours to the Urhobo. Wonder if they reached there as well.

Would have been great if you had posted more pictures.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 1:33am On Nov 04, 2013
Wulfruna: Hmm. Good post. Almost ruined by the Nri-tainted debate. Fascinating that these people from the heart of Igboland reached Isoko and Urhobo. My maternal grandpa's is Itsekiri, neighbours to the Urhobo. Wonder if they reached there as well.

Would have been great if you had posted more pictures.

Yea. There were a handful of pictures I wanted to post, but couldn't. Perhaps I could do that later. Perhaps I could also add more 'fragments' to the account. And yes, from what I know, there were Awka people among the Itsekiri....
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by mrversatile: 2:39pm On Mar 04, 2016
can u pls post these pictures

Yea. There were a handful of pictures I wanted to post, but couldn't. Perhaps I could do that later. Perhaps I could also add more 'fragments' to the account. And yes, from what I know, there were Awka people among the Itsekiri....
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 09, 2017
I love culture

1 Like

Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Probz(m): 7:59pm On May 05
Bump.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Probz(m): 8:04pm On May 05

Awka is friends with everyone. Fairly similar to Nri but have an easier time integrating with others because the people have kind of been chilling in the same neighbourhood as many other Nigerians just straight-up. Maybe homogenous in terms of ancestry but maybe a little more westerly-coloured than other Anambra Igbos, as Chinua Achebe’s pointed out. They’re definitely cousins to Nri but with more … ya.

I’ve got Nri and Awka blood in me in an immediate familial sense so I’ve chilled in both neighbourhoods somehow-or-other from day one.
Re: The Ancient Town Of Awka: Fragments Of Its History, Traditions And Culture by Probz(m): 8:07pm On May 05

Very serious. cheesy
Ngozi Onwurah

I used to love Heartbeat, I’m not even gonna lie. And I know that show’s hit-and-miss with some people.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Unveils Logo Of The Yoruba Cultural Carnival Worldwide / Why Are Most People Guilty Of This? / Oba Charles Ibitoye Is Dead (Olomu Of Omu-Aran)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.