Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,781 members, 7,810,036 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:06 PM

How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours (16795 Views)

Please Advice On This New Skill. / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! / The 37 Best Websites For Learning A New Skill (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by sheblayze(f): 5:54pm On Oct 24, 2013
Dreal1247: .
In addition to this difficulty in reading, i observe that i easily fall asleep while reading and this has been a great source of distraction for me. I equally observe that i can rarely concentrate in a lecture for more than one hour without falling asleep. I know this could derail this thread, but i will be grateful to see an end to these challenges from here. Thanks.

Try reading during the day when your brain is very active. If there's no time to read during the day, read at night when you've taken a refreshing nap and showered. Don't read at a stretch. Read while jotting down points for 40 mins, Review what you've read for 10 mins, then take a break of 10 mins (you can take a walk, gist with friends, listen to music or just browse), then go back to read another 40mins, and continue the cycle. If with all these, you are still not able to concentrate, take coffee, its a stimulant, it helps but can cause dependency.
Try taking down points in class too, sit at the front seat and always maintain eye contact with the lecturer. Eat well before going to school, but don't eat too much.

Lastly, Reduce your intake of garri...lol.

2 Likes

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by ibscrib: 6:52pm On Oct 24, 2013
I think we need to understand what 20hrs really imply...you don't have to make it 20hrs on the stretch but rather a dedicated 4hr per day x 5 days will do the magic.

Be focused and disciplined with the hours and no of days.

Give it a shot and see the outcome...
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by spicyv1(f): 7:20pm On Oct 24, 2013
Really insightful cool
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by deluxs1(m): 8:04pm On Oct 24, 2013
In addition to this difficulty in reading, i observe that i easily fall asleep while reading and this has been a great source of distraction for me. I equally observe that i can rarely concentrate in a lecture for more than one hour without falling asleep. I know this could derail this thread, but i will be grateful to see an end to these challenges from here. Thanks.

Then let sleep be your reinforcement i.e for every three hours of studies, you reward yourself with a good one hr sleep grin works!
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Nobody: 8:57pm On Oct 24, 2013
Freezeman: Ok wonderful write up but hw do i learn to play a GUITAR in 20hours
i want to know how possible this will be too
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by AGBONLE(m): 10:04pm On Oct 24, 2013
WELLDONE
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by ohaleoghene(f): 10:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
I have always want to learn how to draw and sketch out ,but each time I tried,my drawings came out worse than I had imagined. Is drawing an in-born thing,or can I develope it?
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by oyesco400: 6:54am On Oct 25, 2013
Wonderful
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by waldigit: 7:50am On Oct 25, 2013
Like someone said earlier, try break it down into fragment go for the basic one 1st then others follow later. Good video tutorial can help a great deal. I use this when I wanted to learn 3D autoCad. I aqcuired many text. But no time to read because they deal with every aspect as a whole body of the skill. But when I got a video that goes straight to my area of interest I became instant expert. Also One on one training might he'll reducing learning curve.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by waldigit: 7:56am On Oct 25, 2013
ohaleoghene: I have always want to learn how to draw and sketch out ,but each time I tried,my drawings came out worse than I had imagined. Is drawing an in-born thing,or can I develope it?

There is an aspect that is inborn and another aspect that involves training. Because you love to do it u can go for training in it and be able to do it.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 8:58am On Oct 25, 2013
Freezeman: Ok wonderful write up but hw do i learn to play a GUITAR in 20hours

The video in the OP shows or claims that Josh was able to learn how to play an instrument similar to a guitar within the 20 hr period.
You will however notice that he didnt attempt learning everything
he learnt just enough basic skill to be able to entertain himself and a little audience
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 9:07am On Oct 25, 2013

I also had/have this challenge
I have however come to appreciate some things about myself which could probably help you:

-I noticed that I am a strongly visual person, so i have to try hard to concentrate when being lectured, unless you provide me with visual stimulations or great examples that tickle me
-When i am not passoniate about something, i tend to doze off,... so i changed my discipline to modules that i enjoy
- Challenges stimulate me, courses/topics that I can challenge assumptions and discover new things keeps me alert. Repetitions bores me to sleep

(an intellectually exciting babe gives me a ***, much better then robust behinds which unpleasently ensures i constantly doze off)

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 9:09am On Oct 25, 2013
garripack: i really need help cos i really love learning NEW skills but i find it very difficult to read for a long time

WHAT DO I DO IN DIS SITUATION OF MINE

Remember the frustration barrier talked about in Number 4
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by hairbraiding: 9:12am On Oct 25, 2013
He is right, but his statement is context specific.

Some skills require much more time to acquire. Let's say you can grab the basic idea in 20 hours, but to be proficient... hmmm undecided

http://www.hairbraidingnetwork.com/blog
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 9:13am On Oct 25, 2013
uken73: Interesting. But I'm not sure if this can actually apply to all skills.

It probably can't
but i guess the beauty of the tips is that instead of struggling to learn everything, it suggests that deconstructing the skills could see you learning little important bits that are useful to you at the point in time.

I mean, why disturb a busy CEO of 55+ years to learn the entire Microsft suite
when he can simply learn to type in MS Word, save, attach, and send the document via email

1 Like

Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Ishilove: 9:16am On Oct 25, 2013
esere826:

3) Remove barrier to practice
-For example take away the televisionsNairaland e.t.c, and focus on the task at hand

embarassed

I'm addicted cry embarassed
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by olupentane(m): 9:21am On Oct 25, 2013
Can I learn a new language like french in 20hrs?
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 9:28am On Oct 25, 2013
Ishilove:
embarassed

I'm addicted cry embarassed

One man's meat na another one poison
For some folks, television watching is not entertainment but a career development strategy

For you particular skills, I guess that NairaLand could be a veritable ground to propel your career if managed properly
I would think that if some American person in a foreign Social Media platform such as Facbook had as much followership as you
the person would be a super star with loads of cash by the side

And come to think of it, Reno Omikri became 'famous' thanks to his Social Media savviness
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 9:43am On Oct 25, 2013
olupentane: Can I learn a new language like french in 20hrs?

Josh the presenter in the video says u can
the next question would then be, How can u?

My answer wld be a suggestion that you do some research on Josh, and maybe follow him on twitter or some other social media platform
there you cld ask him some questions.
I'm sure he'll try to help

...cheers
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by pheesayor(m): 1:26pm On Oct 25, 2013
Go for health check up, I had this same problem and didn't know I had sleep apnea. See a doctor as fast as you can
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by bizfirst: 7:22pm On Jan 04, 2015
braivheart:

is being a pilot a skill or a profession, and will u learn to fly a plane from books n videos alone? What Will u practice with? Try n understand something before u make a comment.

English could sometimes be a challenge...I understand.

But, enlighten me: isn't the act of flying a skill and the fact of being a pilot a profession?
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by yinkeys(m): 6:32am On Jan 03, 2019
@esere826 @manny4life how are you guys doing. You guys abandoned the Microsoft excel thread that was created in 2013 which we were following.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by esere826: 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2019
yinkeys:
@esere826 @manny4life how are you guys doing. You guys abandoned the Microsoft excel thread that was created in 2013 which we were following. I have a question though. Can a 30 yr old slow learner learn and become proficient in the use of Microsoft excel. He just lost a job opportunity that emphasized on proficiency in excel spreadsheet. Hoping for a response

yep. As long as you've got the motivation to keep on practicing.
Good luck
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by manny4life(m): 7:32pm On Jan 13, 2019
yinkeys:
@esere826 @manny4life how are you guys doing. You guys abandoned the Microsoft excel thread that was created in 2013 which we were following. I have a question though. Can a 30 yr old slow learner learn and become proficient in the use of Microsoft excel. He just lost a job opportunity that emphasized on proficiency in excel spreadsheet. Hoping for a response

Hey, I'm sorry that I haven't been following this thread. As a matter of fact; I have become extremely busy with work that I barely login, which is one i n 3 or 4 months. And the only reason why I saw this, is because I received a NL notification [not about this thread], but something else. As regarding your question, learning is not limited by age, so therefore, anyone can learn Excel as long as they have the interest.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by yinkeys(m): 8:00pm On Jan 13, 2019
manny4life:

Hey, I'm sorry that I haven't been following this thread. As a matter of fact; I have become extremely busy with work that I barely login, which is one i n 3 or 4 months. And the only reason why I saw this, is because I received a NL notification [not about this thread], but something else. As regarding your question, learning is not limited by age, so therefore, anyone can learn Excel as long as they have the interest.
I'd like to ask you some questions though.
I have an ebook I'd like you to review
Not necessarily review but just to scan through and tell me if its good because I also wish to get serious with excel and be good with it. You'd also help suggest videos and ebook.
But I have Lynda.com videos and The missing manual ebook. I just sent you an email
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by manny4life(m): 8:10pm On Jan 13, 2019
yinkeys:

I'd like to ask you some questions though.
I have an ebook I'd like you to review
Not necessarily review but just to scan through and tell me if its good because I also wish to get serious with excel and be good with it. You'd also help suggest videos and ebook.
But I have Lynda.com videos and The missing manual ebook. I just sent you an email

What's the ebook about? Send me an email through my profile, and I will reply you back.
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Feraz(m): 8:41pm On Jan 13, 2019
manny4life:

Thought you had deactivated. shocked
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by manny4life(m): 10:20pm On Jan 13, 2019
Feraz:
Thought you had deactivated. shocked

If you meant deactivated and stopped coming onto NL to rant... YES. But if you meant deactivated my account on NL? No I did not. My account is 10+ years and I dare say it's one of the oldest, not like I'm getting money for it, but nah, I'm not deactivating it. On another note, your ID looks familiar, were you part of "Onlytruth's" group?
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by Feraz(m): 10:26pm On Jan 13, 2019
[quote author=manny4life post=74735855]

If you meant deactivated and stopped coming onto NL to rant... YES. But if you meant deactivated my account on NL? No I did not. My account is 10+ years and I dare say it's one of the oldest, not like I'm getting money for it, but nah, I'm not deactivating it. On another note, your ID looks familiar, were you part of "Onlytruth's" group? [/quote

Aaah! Onlytruth, memories! grin Well, I was not in his group but I defended my state of origin, which he happens to come from as he did.

For the bolded, I quite understand. smiley
Re: How To Learn A New Skill In 20 Hours by yinkeys(m): 11:20am On Jan 15, 2019
manny4life:

Sir, I have forwarded the ebook

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Please ADVICE: 2.2 And Masters Abroad / Finding A Place For Industrial Attachment: Requests, Placements & Volunteering / Are Nigerian 'Graduates' Really Graduates?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.