Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,706 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:56 PM

President Yar'adua Should Resign! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / President Yar'adua Should Resign! (2717 Views)

Okorocha Has Abandoned Imo For His Son-in-law, He Should Resign – Onuegbu / President Yar'adua - 3 Years Remembrance / Is President Yar'adua Dead? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 4:54am On Jul 08, 2008
madamkoko:

Do you think that Genocide in Darfur now is just an ethnic war

CHINA is supporting the murder of the Sudanese villagers and places where OIL has been found. An African Country does not exist in a vaccum, this is not an excuse, its international politics.

Can Mugabe function without external forces, I mean look at his country.

You don't have to agree with me, but the facts are CLEAR. Nigeria DOES NOT exist in a Vaccum.

I am sorry, but what has all these to do with reality?LOL I am done. Seriously I am done
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by CH3COO(m): 4:55am On Jul 08, 2008
People are attracted to America mostly due to the luster of its economy.  The government operates the economy, whereas the people operate the government.  In Nigeria the people have no say and are definitely not allowed to run the darn government.  Who is ensuring that the government does its job . . . ? There is no system of checks and balances, just governmental superiority in all matters.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 4:58am On Jul 08, 2008
Government in America operates the economy?? la kuni!!! Ok, Now I am seriously done, LMAO!!
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by madamkoko: 4:59am On Jul 08, 2008
[b]Kobojunkie: [/b]na wa for you sef. I recommend more research!!!! grin grin grin

I think corporations operate the economy. (free market/private companies) , its capitalism.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by CH3COO(m): 5:01am On Jul 08, 2008
OMG tenkobo junkie! You should be done.  If you have something tangible or in disagreement to share, please do so.  Don't skirt around the comment like a directionless clown.  Who else is responsible for the downfall of the economy?  Why are the people laying heavy blames on Bush and his people for the state of the economy?  ROFLMAO this girl, na wa.

Of course I wouldn't infer total operation, but yes, predominantly. mumu.

Even Obama, everybody current favorite all-american, believes the economy is government-run, though  oppressive.  And globalization also has an influence in the direction of the American economy, everyone knows this.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by madamkoko: 5:04am On Jul 08, 2008
Bush's economic policies favor huge corporations and the Rich and not the common American.

I was under the impression that the mortgage crisis/subprime lending ruined the economy,
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by live4Him: 5:21am On Jul 08, 2008
so the guy hasnt been as proactive as we anticipated, still doesnt mean he should resign after only a year and some mnths in office. lets watch and pray. btw, y'all voted him in.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by CrudeOil2(m): 8:08pm On Jul 10, 2008
Yar'adua should humbly resign! angry
He is just too lazy.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by kedu: 9:54am On Jul 11, 2008
i feel that the president should be given these four years to stay.

the reason is because, he is not always entised with the words of the people.

the removal of immunity clause which some years made some governors behave anyhow has been adjusted in his government and that is to show he is not always tossed around.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Nobody: 11:52am On Jul 11, 2008
Wow, you guys will never stop will you? There you'all go again, attacking!!! How is that ever going to change the condition of Niagerians. If the President resigns dont u'all think of the vulnerable state it will leave this Country in? Is that going to help or worsen the condition. Why dont we let him finish this term then we can vote for whoever we tink will do the job well.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 12:21pm On Jul 11, 2008
kedu:

i feel that the president should be given these four years to stay.

the reason is because, he is not always entised with the words of the people.

the removal of immunity clause which some years made some governors behave anyhow has been adjusted in his government and that is to show he is not always tossed around.

You state that he is not always entised by the words of the people and that is reason why he should be given four whole years?? Not listening to the cares of the people is now sign of good leadership??

Is the removal of immunity clause enough justification for us to continue to sit another 3 years? What makes a good leader?? Do we have a good leader at this time??  Forget any need you may have to cling to his person but judge him by his work so far. Is the man we have now worthy of 3 more years of our lives? These I believe are questions we should honestly ask ourselves. Is this what we are worth? Is this all we feel we can get at this time in our life as Nigerians??
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by abdurrazaq(m): 12:50pm On Jul 11, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Is the removal of immunity clause enough justification for us to continue to sit another 3 years? What makes a good leader?? Do we have a good leader at this time?? Forget any need you may have to cling to his person but judge him by his work so far. Is the man we have now worthy of 3 more years of our lives? These I believe are questions we should honestly ask ourselves. Is this what we are worth? Is this all we feel we can get at this time in our life as Nigerians??

Don't be surprised if this is used as A FACTOR to vote for Yar'Adua for the 2nd term. cry
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 3:58pm On Jul 11, 2008
Oh! I will not be as I am more and more convinced that the problem is not those in leadership but the many citizens who have accepted the status quo as the best they can get from government. They seem to be die-hard fans of mediocrity and will offer up any excuse to have things remain as they are.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by debosky(m): 4:02pm On Jul 11, 2008
Removing Yar'adua for what reason? Who will take over from him given the messed up political system you have in place?

Is he the problem or something else? If he is removed, are there institutions in place that can credibly midwife the emergence of a candidate of the people?

Some are advocating get him out of office? How exactly is that going to work? Impeachment? How long does the average impeachment take? a year? 2 years? Will the people in the house of reps and co go along with such a plan?

Removing Yar'adua will achieve little or nothing, what needs to be done is to examine the systems that produced him (if he is defective that is) and start the corrections from there. If not, you'll repeat the same mistake again.

You CAN'T logistically swap leaders every 6 months - you need party primaries, conventions, election campaigns, printing of ballot papers, etc - each time wasting huge amounts of money while the economy lies essentially comatose in the intervening period - that will never work.

I'd rather advocate for a single term of 5 years, proper strengthening of anti-corruption agencies to prevent looting as much as possible and genuine reform of the electoral system. A flawed system will most times produce a flawed product.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by darfur(m): 4:09pm On Jul 11, 2008
i will debate over and over again that the problem with nigeria may not just be leadership alone. there is something(i really dont know what it is) in the populace that tolerates mediocrity in leadership. something that makes corruption and mediocrity to thrive.

every population has tolerance limits. e.g, no matter how hypocritical a congregation may be, they would not tolerate an imam climbing the pulpit to preach on sunday from the koran. likewise no muslim group(no matter how unislamic it ma be) can tolerate a pastor on friday leading their prayers.

as bad as nigeria may be, our corrupt PDP still wont impose a muslim northerner to be governor of enugu state. and cant make orji gov of sokoto. b/c the population wont tolerate it. so why does corruption thrive?

there is something in us that tolerates it.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by BluMalam(m): 4:45pm On Jul 11, 2008
I can swear all the people that say Yar'adua did not perform as governor have not been to kaduna, not to talk of katsina state. Look, if Yar'adua serves for EIGHTY years, he cannot do as much damage that obasanjo did.

Do you know that Yar'adua is the FIRST President in history to publicly declare his assets on assumption of office? One and a half years in office and you expect Nigeria to turn to a shangri-la. If you have noticed, a better part of the 1 and half years was spent in reversal of Obj's injurious policies, and booting out his foot soldiers (e.g Ribadu).

This man is so internationally respected (check out the recent G8 summit) and tell me, which past president has ever attempted an electoral reform of an entity that produced him (INEC). C'mon guyz, cut Musa some slack.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Mustay(m): 4:49pm On Jul 11, 2008
Blu Malam:

I can swear all the people that say Yar'adua did not perform as governor have not been to kaduna, not to talk of katsina state. Look, if Yar'adua serves for EIGHTY years, he cannot do as much damage that obasanjo did.

Did Yar'Adua become president to cause lss DAMAGE sad
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 4:53pm On Jul 11, 2008
Blu Malam:

Sorry to burst your bubble here but I have seen Katsina, and I was appalled. I expected a sight worth writing home about but met with the usual eyesore here and there. The touted Health system was less than what I had read of in some papers praising the man.

The Current Lagos State Governor has done a job 100 times better in 1 year than Yar adua was able to do in Katsina in 8 years. So again, enough with the “PLEDGE to Mediocrity”, can you please start believing you deserve better as a Nigerian??

Secondly, should we then say mediocrity is ok because Obasanjo, who, by the way is no longer the president, did not do better?? Is this the sort of nonsense excuse you offer your children for why their live remains worth less in Nigeria??

Blu Malam:

Do you know that Yar'adua is the FIRST President in history to publicly declare his assets on assumption of office?

What has declaring his assets to do with him being a good enough leader? Anyone can come out to declare assets publically but what has that to do with the individual’s ability to do or not do his/her job as a leader? You claim he declared his assets, how are we sure that is all he has as assets?? What about giving us the power to probe him to make sure what he declared is all there is?? Again, what has declaring his "assets" to do with anything when we do not even have the power and information available to us to make sure we are not being decieved??

Blu Malam:

One and a half years in office and you expect Nigeria to turn to a shangri-la. If you have noticed, a better part of the 1 and half years was spent in reversal of Obj's injurious policies, and booting out his foot soldiers (e.g Ribadu).

No one but you holds such an expectation of anyone who is president of Nigeria. We simply expect 1 and a half years worth of progress from anyone who has been in office that long.  So far, what we have does not even come close to measuring up to 6 months worth and you think we are wrong to call for a shuffle here.

Blu Malam:

This man is so internationally respected (check out the recent G8 summit) and tell me, which past president has ever attempted an electoral reform of an entity that produced him (INEC). C'mon guys, cut Musa some slack.

I am going to guess that in your mind, if Mugabe says he respects this man, it automatically means He is respected internationally. I am sorry but I do not subscribe to that MESSIAH /Hero worship mentality. I can claim Hitler was and is also internationally respected but what has that to do with his leadership skills, intelligence or the facts??
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by JustGood(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2008
The problem with Nigeria is not just Ya'adua but with the Nigerians themselves.
We love mediocrity and we believe in doing things the wrong way. We embrace the things which continually drag us behind
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by darfur(m): 5:00pm On Jul 11, 2008
declaring his assets publicly was a great start. it shows something that is vital and fundamental to our growth as a nation . . . . transparency.

we need a serious attitudinal change in the nation and for him to declare his assets was great. but not enough.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by DisGuy: 5:32pm On Jul 11, 2008
Sorry to burst your bubble here but I have seen Katsina, and I was appalled. I expected a sight worth writing home about but met with the usual eyesore here and there. The touted Health system was less than what I had read of in some papers praising the man.
How was the state before he was governor?

The Current Lagos State Governor has done a job 100 times better in 1 year than Yar adua was able to do in Katsina in 8 years. So again, enough with the “PLEDGE to Mediocrity”, can you please start believing you deserve better as a Nigerian??

one can argue he is building on the foundation laid by the previous governor over a period of eight years wink
after all that is what government is about-correcting previous mistakes and building on past successes

Blu Malam:

This man is so internationally respected (check out the recent G8 summit) and tell me, which past president has ever attempted an electoral reform of an entity that produced him (INEC). C'mon guys, cut Musa some slack.
Even Mugabe got a show in Italy tongue
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 5:36pm On Jul 11, 2008
Dis Guy:

How was the state before he was governor?

Just as Appalling. Barely much of a difference if you ask me, and for 8 years, I have to conclude he did terrible work as governor.

Dis Guy:

one can argue he is building on the foundation laid by the previous governor over a period of eight years wink

Only one who has never been to or seen Lagos prior, or someone who just wants to argue blindly would argue such.

Dis Guy:

after all that is what government is about-correcting previous mistakes and building on past successes
I say you at least ask Lagosians of what the difference is before reaching such a conclusion.

Dis Guy:

Even Mugabe got a show in Italy tongue

Like I posted earlier, even Hitler gets applause from some in different regions. Does that then make him a good leader?? You fail the answer the main questions.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by DisGuy: 5:47pm On Jul 11, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Just as Appalling. Barely much of a difference if you ask me, and for 8 years, I have to conclude he did terrible work as governor.

Only one who has never been to or seen Lagos prior, or someone who just wants to argue blindly would argue such.
I say you at least ask Lagosians of what the difference is before reaching such a conclusion.

Like I posted earlier, even Hitler gets applause from some in different regions. Does that then make him a good leader?? You fail the answer the main questions.

perhaps you are only looking at the physical nature of things not the SYSTEM IN PLACE ALREADY which to be honest is one of the most important things to get anything done in that country.

you dont just put people in a system and expect them to work magic
i noticed you skipped these questions like the pro you are

debosky:

Removing Yar'adua for what reason? Who will take over from him given the messed up political system you have in place?

Is he the problem or something else? If he is removed, are there institutions in place that can credibly midwife the emergence of a candidate of the people?

Some are advocating get him out of office? How exactly is that going to work? Impeachment? How long does the average impeachment take? a year? 2 years? Will the people in the house of reps and co go along with such a plan?

Removing Yar'adua will achieve little or nothing, what needs to be done is to examine the systems that produced him (if he is defective that is) and start the corrections from there. If not, you'll repeat the same mistake again.

You CAN'T logistically swap leaders every 6 months - you need party primaries, conventions, election campaigns, printing of ballot papers, etc - each time wasting huge amounts of money while the economy lies essentially comatose in the intervening period - that will never work.

I'd rather advocate for a single term of 5 years, proper strengthening of anti-corruption agencies to prevent looting as much as possible and genuine reform of the electoral system. A flawed system will most times produce a flawed product.
tongue
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 5:53pm On Jul 11, 2008
Dis Guy:

perhaps you are only looking at the physical nature of things not the SYSTEM IN PLACE ALREADY which to be honest is one of the most important things to get anything done in that country.

Perhaps I am not. The System and Physical signs both point to little progress: Progress not worthy of the 8 year investment made.

Dis Guy:

you don't just put people in a system and expect them to work magic
i noticed you skipped these questions like the pro you are
tongue
Again, that idea that people assume when you are put in to do a job, you are expected to do magic, is not held by me and most definitely not all persons. So please, can we drop that from the list of excuses?? Read my posts and you understand that the assessment is made on the fact that out of 8 years, an equivalent amount of progress is expected. If you even spent time to READ my posts so far, you would realize that at this point, I am simply repeating myself over and over. Take time to read and understand things as they are. Stop injecting baseless claims into the conversation and focus on the reality we have now. Katsina does not have 8 years worth of progress to show for 8 years investment. Nigeria does not have even 4 months worth of progress to show so far. I don't know what this has to do with your thinking me a pro to you.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by DisGuy: 6:15pm On Jul 11, 2008
oh please you have been banging on about how people are not doing this or that, i'm talking about nigeria not katsina, i dont know anything about the state

the only thing you came up with is some ridiculous 6months presidency with you hyperventilating all over the forum about how daft Nigerians are allowing this and that you've not been able to come up with anything realistic about the way forward considering the peculiar nature of the country. every solution according to you; seems to be simple and straight forward like you've applied them before

Again, that idea that people assume when you are put in to do a job, you are expected to do magic, is not held by me and most definitely not all persons.

coming from someone advocating for 6moths+ presidency, erm I think so!!

now answer the questions debosky raised in his post!

can Pat Utomi, Emeka Anyako*, Donald Duke solve the transport, education or power problems in 6months?

and before you rope me into on of your merry go round argument. I'M OUT!!!!

peace
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by doyin13(m): 6:45pm On Jul 11, 2008
Yaradua seems to lack any potential or kinetic energy
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Nobody: 12:26am On Jul 12, 2008
well he'll only resign if he thinks he cant cope any longer.better still a referendum can be held to determine the opinion of nigerians( thats in liberal politics which is not obtainable here, at least for now)
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Nobody: 12:38am On Jul 12, 2008
well he'll only resign if he thinks he cant cope any longer.better still a referendum can be held to determine the opinion of nigerians( thats in liberal politics which is not obtainable here, at least for now)
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by Kobojunkie: 12:39pm On Jul 12, 2008
olrotimi:

well he'll only resign if he thinks he can't cope any longer.better still a referendum can be held to determine the opinion of nigerians( thats in liberal politics which is not obtainable here, at least for now)

I doubt he will be "honest" enough to do that.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by debosky(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2008
a referendum? grin grin

In the much vaunted and oft mentioned western democracies, do they hold referendums to decide whether a president can cope or not? undecided Where exactly do you get these ideas from anyways? When the results of an 'election' are barely credible, what makes you think the referendum will achieve a different outcome given the state of the electoral system?

Yar'adua's government does seem to be experiencing some paralysis and is not even appearing to be acting, except, according to them anyways, in the area of setting public policy direction and building an enabling system to carry out whatever transformations are needed in a 'rule of law' environment and in a sustainable manner. Patience is running thin if not completely exhausted. People need to see some form of action to give them hope. I hope they are getting their act together.
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by CrudeOil2(m): 9:15pm On Jul 14, 2008
Yar'adua lacks googd leadership qualities, by the end of his tenure in 2011, this country would in a mess. Much more worse than Obasanjo left it. It would be of interest he resigns now. Or
Re: President Yar'adua Should Resign! by chei: 3:43pm On Aug 07, 2008
@post
oboy you talk sense. Our president is currently in a state of inertia. He is dumb and bamboozled by issues facing the country. He is too weak to act or do anything serious. He should resign. Nigerians love endurance, we
have been enduring since 1999 I think its time we take up issues and call our politicians to order.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Dangote Fight Otedola Back / Nairaland Quoted In Toronto Star, Canada ---congrat Seun & Nairalanders / Police Stop Ibb’s Rally In Kaduna

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.