Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,186 members, 7,811,473 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:28 PM

20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview (33524 Views)

Who Else Recieved This Job Interview Text Message / 20 Ways To Ruin An Interview / The 25 Most Difficult Questions You'll Be Asked On A Job Interview (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by rodeo0070(m): 10:31am On Oct 23, 2013
“Please describe yourself in a few words”.

It’s the job interview of your life and you need to come up with something fast. Mental pictures of words are mixing in your head and your tongue tastes like alphabet soup. You mutter words like “deterministic” or “innovativity” and you realize you’re drenched in sweat. You wish you had thought about this. You wish you had read this post before.

Here are 20 sentences that you could use when you are asked to describe yourself. Choose the ones that describe you the best.

“I am someone who…”:

1. “can adapt to any situation. I thrive in a fluctuating environment and I transform unexpected obstacles into stepping stones for achievements.”

2. “consistently innovates to create value. I find opportunities where other people see none: I turn ideas into projects, and projects into serial success.”

3. “has a very creative mind. I always have a unique perspective when approaching an issue due to my broad range of interests and hobbies. Creativity is the source of differentiation and therefore, at the root of competitive advantage.”

4. “always has an eye on my target. I endeavour to deliver high-quality work on time, every time. Hiring me is the only real guarantee for results.”

5. “knows this job inside and out. With many years of relevant experience, there is no question whether I will be efficient on the job. I can bring the best practices to the company.”

6. “has a high level of motivation to work here. I have studied the entire company history and observed its business strategies. Since I am also a long-time customer, I took the opportunity to write this report with some suggestions for how to improve your services.”

7. “has a pragmatic approach to things. I don’t waste time talking about theory or the latest buzz words of the bullshit bingo. Only one question matters to me: ‘Does it work or not?’”

8. “takes work ethics very seriously. I do what I am paid for, and I do it well.”

9. “can make decisions rapidly if needed. Everybody can make good decisions with sufficient time and information. The reality of our domain is different. Even with time pressure and high stakes, we need to move forward by taking charge and being decisive. I can do that.”

10. “is considered to be ‘fun.’ I believe that we are way more productive when we are working with people with which we enjoy spending time. When the situation gets tough with a customer, a touch of humour can save the day.”

11. “works as a real team-player. I bring the best out of the people I work with and I always do what I think is best for the company.”

12. “is completely autonomous. I won’t need to be micromanaged. I won’t need to be trained. I understand high-level targets and I know how to achieve them.”

13. “leads people. I can unite people around a vision and motivate a team to excellence. I expect no more from the others than what I expect from myself.”

14. “understands the complexity of advanced project management. It’s not just pushing triangles on a chart; it’s about getting everyone to sit down together and to agree on the way forward. And that’s a lot more complicated than it sounds.”

15. “is the absolute expert in the field. Ask anybody in the industry. My name is on their lips because I wrote THE book on the subject.”

16. “communicates extensively. Good, bad or ugly, I believe that open communication is the most important factor to reach an efficient organization.”

17. “works enthusiastically. I have enough motivation for myself and my department. I love what I do, and it’s contagious.”

18. “has an eye for details because details matter the most. How many companies have failed because of just one tiny detail? Hire me and you’ll be sure I’ll find that detail.”

19. “can see the big picture. Beginners waste time solving minor issues. I understand the purpose of our company, tackle the real subjects and the top management will eventually notice it.”

20. “is not like anyone you know. I am the candidate you would not expect. You can hire a corporate clone, or you can hire someone who will bring something different to the company. That’s me. “

CULLED FROM: http://www.lifehack.org/articles/work/20-ways-describe-yourself-job-interview.html

34 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by CareerCaptain: 3:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
Added to what Rodeo has posted here, I once interviewed a prospective employee, and asked her a simple question "Can we meet you?" only to hear the most shocking response of my career life. Her response: "Yes sir, thank you sir, I am here with you". What a wrong impression from the start?

While describing yourself to an interviewer or rather, while you are undergoing an interview, there is utmost importance in giving to and leaving a right impression to your interviewer(s) as this plays a greater role in your being called back for the next stage of interview or the job.

Here, I compiled some simplest ways on How you can get a Job with a Long Lasting Impression

It really would help you in your future interactions.

7 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Odunharry(m): 4:10pm On Oct 23, 2013
front page tinx
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by nairaarea: 4:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice writeup

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by topsy1971: 4:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
Excellent. Nice one OP
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by speeder(m): 4:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
jefflittlecent: Everyone has its own way of description, i tot u will tell us d posible que n answers
thank you.
Op, I'm not saying you're foolish but u're not wise.

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Jaywilzee(m): 4:14pm On Oct 23, 2013
IMPRESSive.........
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Nobody: 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice write up buh even after all dis sef, u wont get the job...naija don tire person

2 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Goldienana(f): 4:15pm On Oct 23, 2013
Hmmmm nice one.brng out d best wif d pll I wk wif sounds gud
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by dahdah: 4:18pm On Oct 23, 2013
copying......................... to notepad, save to my document ... this is very useful, Nairaland would be better if thread like this makes frontpage unlike Tonto Dike, beverly matter

5 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Nobody: 4:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
Did i see the word 'bulshit' here?

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Sheenor: 4:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by samuelkaykay(m): 4:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Should one mention his name before all this blablabla.Recently i was in a panel that interview applicants,guess what? The persons employed by my Director was the worst performer but she possesses barca and man u which was admired by the Director.
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Nobody: 4:26pm On Oct 23, 2013
@Op; this is a classic piece...nice one!!!
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by duality(m): 4:29pm On Oct 23, 2013
Can this really get one a job? There are millions who have jobs but don't know any of this nor give a damn about it.

However No. 7 is the bomb. that exact word can guarantee a job in hell.

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Nobody: 4:30pm On Oct 23, 2013
I dey here...
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by abduldope(m): 4:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
mhn i nw BLIv NAIRALAND is our 9ja GooGLe!!!.......@op i HaiL thee!!! N TUMBz up to seaun grin grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by ziashi(m): 4:38pm On Oct 23, 2013
samuelkaykay: Should one mention his name before all this blablabla.Recently i was in a panel that interview applicants,guess what? The persons employed by my Director was the worst performer but she possesses barca and man u which was admired by the Director.
you have also forgotten that she can perform wonders with "barca" and "man u"
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Muriwest(m): 4:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
nice piece of write up, thumbs up to you op
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Kingslaw(m): 4:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
thanks

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by DarryOsh(m): 4:45pm On Oct 23, 2013
Pweedylipsmoi: Nice write up buh even after all dis sef, u wont get the job...naija don tire person
i understand the frustration...but sista, positive mindset....yes, positive mindset....and confidence. wink

1 Like

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by stan4b(m): 4:58pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice one.
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Ninilowo(m): 4:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
I am..............the one with the senate president's complementary card. Lobatan!

2 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Ninilowo(m): 4:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
I am..............the one with the senate president's complementary card. Lobatan! grin
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by checkdate(m): 5:00pm On Oct 23, 2013
GOD BLESS YOU
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by justi4jesu(f): 5:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Nice piece
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by albacete(m): 5:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
following. . . Nice one
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Raxxye(m): 5:20pm On Oct 23, 2013
So much lectures these days on interview tips to job seekers; books, cds, seminars, blogs, etc right from NYSC camp and afterwards and a lot of people have made fortune for themselves advising job seekers on how to get jobs...
...knock three times before u enter the interview hall, keep eye contact, don't cross your arms while sitting, and the list goes on endlessly. Guys have learnt and memorized all these, yet no jobs. Did everyone now working go through all of these before securing their jobs?

OP,you try sha, but boys don tire!

3 Likes

Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by UjSizzle(f): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Bookmarked!!! cheesy
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by ecolime(m): 5:22pm On Oct 23, 2013
Bullshit
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by moviedoor7: 5:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
NICE ONE
Re: 20 Ways To Describe Yourself In A Job Interview by Ninapha(f): 5:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
If i am to interview u, i wont even have time to listen till u finish. U can do this and dat, ok. U give one line of what u can do and i give u one line to do it instanta. I no need sweet mouth. Caution, dont let ur speech speak of pride!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What They Did Not Tell You About Government Job In Nigeria / Exams Officer At British Council Or Assistant Registrar At WAEC? Informed Advice / Job Offer: Ecobank 2019 Entry Level Recruitment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.