Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,811 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:10 AM

What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? - Music/Radio (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? (23601 Views)

The Good 80s: Just What Is Your Taste In MUSIC? / For Those That Appreciate Quality Videos This Is The Very Video For Your Taste. / The Nigerian Girls In Music Videos? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by class0247: 10:53pm On Oct 23, 2013
Anybody that dont like or know more of hip hop or rnb seem very local to me
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Constance1: 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
Well for me music is life and as such contribute a lot in our lives. But don't think it has anything to do with intelligence rather I feel music affect people's behaviour. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 49cents(m): 11:01pm On Oct 23, 2013
Knew this topic will touch some raw nerve!

A mind that enjoys classical music gats to be a very refined one......

Anybody can wriggle to Terry G cos its quite base; the inspiration is base, the beats is savage, the lyrics lack the creativity of genius, so how can it appeal to an intelligent refined mind or seize it in awe?

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by SisterCaro(m): 11:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
No its doesnt. I love pitbull even though he is vulgar but it doesnt say anything about my intelligence
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by mecussey(m): 11:07pm On Oct 23, 2013
So...me wey like rap music like 2pac, snoop and Dr.dre, what does it say about me?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by MOBBDEEP: 11:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Fynist: Bro you just said it all. It takes a person, with very high intelligence to interpret Lil'wayne Songs. I am a Musical Fan. I listen to Virtually all Music. So, op's assertions are crap

You really got me grinning !!!
You don't seem to get him
Stillwater meant that Canibus is way far incomparable to Wayne cos Canibus rocks great lyrics, witty aphorisms & flow mastery as compared to supposed Wayne's wacky/vain themes but superb delivery.
Believe me, Wayne ( including a whole lot of those Cash Money Record Label Artistes ) sounds very vain with his heavy synthetic-beats and monotonous lyrics on booze, cash, thug-life, whor-ing etc
And I am sure I am familiar with his works right from his '500 Degrees' Album which I think he dropped in 99/2000
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by 49cents(m): 11:12pm On Oct 23, 2013
tonychristopher: but that's a fact its sub consciousness if u listen to.music like enya,Julie inglesias,yanni placido domingo etc that's music for enlightened minds and I know that 90% of you haven't heard of it. its an intelligent mind.music. but if you listen to blues and rhythms you tend to be calculated and motivated but if you are a hard core rapster and these terry g bullllshittts you tend to be an everyday average idiots

the kind of music and movies you watch shows your intelligence
some are home movie buffs which to me insults my intelligence

some watch movies like scent of a woman,aviator,escape from alcrataz and the Chase. they are sophisticated

some watch blue films,they are pervert

some watch historic movies like 300; clash of titanic,troy , Odessa etc. these are inquisitive minds

people like me are documentary buffs. we are on top of pyramid. so which one do you watch.GRADE YOUSELF

Very intelligent post there.

I am a die-hard documantary fan. Most have David Attenborough!

We are essentailly what we like: face it!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ishilove: 11:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sagamite:

This na your stuff abi? grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5utNmlJqsE
Lwkmd!! cheesy cheesy

Yeye cheesy
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ishilove: 11:46pm On Oct 23, 2013
Joshthefirst: you're an old woman inside??
grin grin grin grin grin grin
Mother insists I'm an old soul grin grin grin grin
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ishilove: 11:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
debosky: ^^ it says you're old, grandma ishi cheesy
I possess the Wisdom of the Ancients grin
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 24, 2013
Willgates: just because someone is writing JAMB for the fourth time doesn't mean he's got an abysmal I.Q. And did you just say lil Wayne's songs? damn! the manner at which that guy plays with words is simply incredible! If u don't like his songs it's because u have a low I.Q already

If people can just skip the noise and listen to the words..Wayne is a genius!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Obi1kenobi(m): 3:55am On Oct 24, 2013
There is a definite correlation but of course there are tons of anomalies. I believe though that your average fan of classical music, or jazz or new age would be brighter than your average hip-hop fan. I've even found my friends who are rock fans are on average smarter than their peers.

I'm mostly into rock (an incredibly vast genre of music) but I do appreciate any good music, whatever the genre and depending on my mood. I even recently went through a phase of Fela obsession. As for hip-hop, I'll never understand the appeal of a couple of former street touts in their baggy, sagged clothes and juvenile "swagger" rapping about their new found fame, spraying cash, flashing their blings, showing their Bentley, dancing amidst several half-nude girls, bragging about how many times they've got shot, dissing your latest beef....blah blah blah. I just don't get the artistic appeal. Maybe for children and teenagers (was a big rap fan up till my senior secondary days), but I don't get its appeal for adults. I don't get the appeal of jokers like D'banj wey don turn Naija Michael Jackson.

Well.......it's all a matter of preference. Afterall, the best graduating student from my department is a devoted fan of D'banj. As much as I hated the music, I knew most of the songs cos he'd play it often in our shared room amd I hard to listen to the "koko master" sing his nonsense.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by megadeath: 4:28am On Oct 24, 2013
Taste in music doesn't define intelligence. It's the other way round.

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by redcliff: 4:56am On Oct 24, 2013
nekaa: I seee....

You are just dry
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Donvitalis(m): 6:40am On Oct 24, 2013
Crap!!

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Jiteshell(f): 6:55am On Oct 24, 2013
kekakuz: people who listen to soft rock are matured and emotional
i dont know about others
wrong. I know someone who listens to that stuff and is sooo immature and not emotional in any way

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ugosample(m): 7:03am On Oct 24, 2013
Anyone who believes that Lil Wayne is not intellegent doesn't know anything about Metaphors and Pun. His songs are amorous sometimes, but if you listen to some of his lyrics, deeply, you'll understand. I can't say the same for French Montana, Acehood, 2CHAINZ and the likes.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by MrGeorgeBrown(m): 7:04am On Oct 24, 2013
What if i tell u guys that rap music to someone wit low IQ is like a 2yr old baby gaining admission in the university?

Check the music and radio section, then check rap battles, the caliber of persons in that section of nairaland will justify my 'what if' question..

1 Like

Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by rashylous(m): 7:27am On Oct 24, 2013
Well, to my best of understanding taste of music has nothing to do with level of intelligence or IQ cos we all listen to music based on our idealogy, background, religious beliefs and mood. But, from my observations it has come to my understanding that too much of music usually reduce our level of intelligence n sense of reasoning.
I quite agree to the fact that the kind of music you listening to will simply portrayed who you are and your way of life too. No matter your level of intelligence. But, too much of it is bad because music itself is another school of thought and those who choose to be addicted to it, either choose is it as a career or psychotic descriptive.
The only grudge I had to present day music, irrespective of the genre is that, its gradually eating up our youth sense of reasoning and corrupting their moral values.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by fuelsaver: 7:50am On Oct 24, 2013
Truly music is an art of worship and can determine your mood;and you are as wise as the one you worship. Every music glorifies either God or satan. Therefore the one being praised in the music shows up to manifest his virtues upon the singers and dancers alike. Music is like a wine that controls the drinker. You remember kolomenta!!!
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Nobody: 7:59am On Oct 24, 2013
undecided
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by aigbeedo(m): 8:23am On Oct 24, 2013
lalaboi:

lol. Ur definition of somehow? You have just shared your thoughts which means NO "The type of music you listen to does not show how intelligent you are". .

If modenine fan club of back then was here now they would beg to differ grin
i am a die hard hiphop/Rap fan. i decode Rap lyrics, wen it come 2 naija i am 100% involvd. wen it cms 2my akdms, i tink i graduatd wit a DT in Computer Science . i dnt knw hw 2rate myself here.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Sheyzman(m): 8:28am On Oct 24, 2013
Have any of you tried listening to lil Wayne and nicki minaj's lyrics? It is absolutely amazing. Especially lil Wayne, his expressions are great and makes you think deep. Listen to mirror ft bruno mars, and goodbye ft akon and Maria Carey
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by joanpinkie(f): 8:37am On Oct 24, 2013
Carsonv: There's a correlation between the your preference for music and your level of intelligence. People who listen to music that is mostly artistic both in lyrics and in soundtrack tend to have a more intuitive, critical and intelligent disposition. While people that listen to music with superficial lyrics, lacklustre sound tend not to have very critical and intuitive mind...not necessarily untintelligent!

People who look out for the artistic content of music than at the 'entertainment' aspect usually show more signs of intelligence! Now what intelligence really means is highly debatable.

It does not however mean a genre is more 'intellectual' than the other. Recently rap is getting my poetic than jazz!

For me I listen to good music...from jazz to rap, soul, r n b, pop, classic, reggaeton,...but never TerryG and whoever and whatever represents that kinda music!

I believe that what you listen to is product of what you're made of inside!
I totally agree with u , I would rather say that the kind of music one listens to depicts their character more than their intellectual ability.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by joanpinkie(f): 8:45am On Oct 24, 2013
megadeath: Taste in music doesn't define intelligence. It's the other way round.

Which other way?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by joanpinkie(f): 8:54am On Oct 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
I listen to trad. music.

But that does not mean i have bush mentality.

It says it all
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by Ugosample(m): 9:05am On Oct 24, 2013
The music you listen to determines your personality. If you like fast tempo songs/hip hop, it means you are a lively person/young at heart, etc. But if you like slow tempo/drab songs, that means that you are not lively/party loving. That is my opinion.
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by nekaa(f): 9:11am On Oct 24, 2013
redcliff:

You are just dry
so you want us airing our laundry here bah?
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by shegzi(m): 9:23am On Oct 24, 2013
I do not agree with the op the kind or type of music u listen to doesnt ve anythin to do with ur intelligence
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by redcliff: 9:23am On Oct 24, 2013
nekaa: so you want us airing our laundry here bah?

whar? what laundry? i do not know you..so bleh wink
Re: What Does Your Taste In Music Say About Your Intelligence? by mechanicaldummie(m): 9:32am On Oct 24, 2013
The art of rap is deceptive. It seems so straightforward and personal and real that people read it completely literally, as raw testimony or autobiography. And sometimes the words we use, nigga, bitch, motherfucker, and the violence of the images overwhelms some listeners. It's all white noise to them till they hear a bitch or a nigga and then they run off yelling "See!" and feel vindicated in their narrow conception of what the music is about. - Jay-Z

I think he said it all..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

An Unbiased Review Of The 15th Headies Award By TrendyBeatz / 2Face Idibia's "OLE" Music Video / Vector Ft Davido – 'Comfort'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.