Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,048 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:32 AM

African Woman Living In American - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Woman Living In American (15074 Views)

The Prettiest African Woman / New Blog By A Hausa/fulani Woman Living In England / Ibo People In American Rap Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Woman Living In American by Moukafoam(f): 8:42am On Oct 24, 2013
babe_online:
It will tell you your tribe and country of origin.

Bros I hail o!

The truth in your statement is too much so please adjust it to our level grin
Re: African Woman Living In American by joeace2020(m): 8:42am On Oct 24, 2013
indomitable234: [b][/b] I will be doing a DNA test soon to find our what country I came from but I believe I am Nigerian!

Is it possible to use a dna test to knw ur country of origin

yes to also trace d colonial masters that took your ansestors away on slave ships... even to determine the exact day, time and minute

abeg aunty op can we switch places... die dey hungry u
Re: African Woman Living In American by lertee(f): 8:43am On Oct 24, 2013
indomitable234: [b][/b] I will be doing a DNA test soon to find our what country I came from but I believe I am Nigerian!

Is it possible to use a dna test to knw ur country of origin
Yes it is possible. It is known as genealogical DNA or Ancestry history.
A genealogical DNA test looks at a person's genetic code at specific locations. Results give information about genealogy or personal ancestry. Generally, these tests compare the results of an individual to others from the same lineage or to current and historic ethnic groups.
Re: African Woman Living In American by batstan(m): 8:48am On Oct 24, 2013
*Grabs mic* She is Stella Oduah's sister!!! *Drops mic* #TeamGOM. Self-co-opted#
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 8:50am On Oct 24, 2013
CFCfan: You're welcome to nairaland. Who knows, you may be from Southern Nigeria cool
Hmmm you prolly think she is the daughter of Igwe Emeka,you are mistaking.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 24, 2013
batstan: *Grabs mic* She is Stella Oduah's sister!!! *Drops mic* #TeamGOM. Self-co-opted#
cheesy You are welcome to my team! Can i put your name on the list? cheesy cheesy IT's FUN!!

#TeamGOM
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 8:52am On Oct 24, 2013
CFCfan:
You mean Tonto Dikeh?
Why Tonko na, you wan spoil Janae mood abi.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Ariyke: 8:53am On Oct 24, 2013
Welcomesmiley
Re: African Woman Living In American by batstan(m): 8:55am On Oct 24, 2013
god_of_music: cheesy You are welcome to my team! Can i put your name on the list? cheesy cheesy IT's FUN!!

#TeamGOM
grin #TeamGOM#

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 8:55am On Oct 24, 2013
chucky234: Why Tonko na, you wan spoil Janae mood abi.
LMFAO!!! grin grin grin please, Janae will never be Toto dickeh!
She looks like that girl that starred at 'the first Nigerian action fim ever' . . . I remember that's what they called the film back then but forgotten the name. cheesy

#TeamGOM
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 8:58am On Oct 24, 2013
Moukafoam:

Bros I hail o!

All I said is the truth.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 8:59am On Oct 24, 2013
batstan: grin #TeamGOM#
You are welcome to the team. Your name has been added! You are now officially our Gate man Accountant cheesy

Any post you make don't forget to add #TeamGOM below wink

#TeamGOM
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 9:03am On Oct 24, 2013
god_of_music: LMFAO!!! grin grin grin please, Janae will never be Toto dickeh!
She looks like that girl that starred at 'the first Nigerian action fim ever' . . . I remember that's what they called the film back then but forgotten the name. cheesy

#TeamGOM
She look more like Ekaette, I think she is from Calabar,hmmm enough 404 meats await Janae.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 9:07am On Oct 24, 2013
chucky234: She look more like Ekaette, I think she is from Calabar,hmmm enough 404 meats await Janae.
Yes, she looks calabar but she looks more Igbo, see her lips and her face+her skin tone. . . And don't forget Igbos were mostly taken as slaves back then cheesy

#TeamGOM
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 9:07am On Oct 24, 2013
Moukafoam:

Bros I hail o!

You open your eyes wide see "babe-online(f)" you call am bros, haba babe reduce your Ijebu garri intake make your sight clear na.
Re: African Woman Living In American by joeace2020(m): 9:10am On Oct 24, 2013
op can i embed a link to my website on ur profile.... d traffic will b good

#teamfindmoneywhereotherstheyshowtheirkolo
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 9:12am On Oct 24, 2013
god_of_music: Yes, she looks calabar but she looks more Igbo, see her lips and her face+her skin tone. . . And don't forget Igbos were mostly taken as slaves back then cheesy

#TeamGOM
Na Israel dem transport Igbos go na, dat kpomor mouth na Calabar mouth joor, the toned complexion na effect of Yankee weather.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Lilimax(f): 9:13am On Oct 24, 2013
You're welcome smiley.
We are peace loving and accomodating ...
Enjoy yourself.
Re: African Woman Living In American by adorable29(f): 9:21am On Oct 24, 2013
Welcome home dear. Just like anywhere in the world, there are angels and demons! Just have an open mind and you will realise there are far more good, accomodating, loving playful, and happy people than there are the bad! Hugs

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 9:29am On Oct 24, 2013
chucky234: Na Israel dem transport Igbos go na, dat kpomor mouth na Calabar mouth joor, the toned complexion na effect of Yankee weather.
Igbos were mostly taken to the Carribean,America and Europe. . . Israel didn't buy slaves.
And you must know that the Igbos were known to be homesick. . . They don't go diasporea without feeling that they are not complete but they adopt any culture easliy. The merchants those days loved to steal or buy them because they are usually light skinned or brown and sometimes dark black.

Igbos slaves were known to commit suicide or jump into the Atlantic believing in the Igbo saying that says 'when a man dies outside. He comes back to his home and family in another form'
so they commit suicide and even fight the merchants just to go back home because of the 'hunger for Igbo land' in their blood!

Another example is Oludah Equaino an igbo slave brought to Europe through a mighty slave ship. He adopted the European life style real quick and he was even the first African slave to be able to write a book. But still he remembered he was Igbo and always identified himself as one till his death.

My hand oo! angry

#TeamGOM grin

2 Likes

Re: African Woman Living In American by Boll2010: 9:48am On Oct 24, 2013
No mind them jor.....you a proud daughter of the burkina faso's country
Re: African Woman Living In American by philfearon(m): 9:53am On Oct 24, 2013
god_of_music: @Philfearon she won't understand what you wrote grin

#TeamGOM
It was not really meant for her u know? Its for older Nairalanders!!
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nobody: 10:04am On Oct 24, 2013
philfearon:
It was not really meant for her u know? Its for older Nairalanders!!
Ok. . .

#TeamGOM cheesy
Re: African Woman Living In American by yorubaamerican(m): 11:09am On Oct 24, 2013
Glamrock: Hello Nairaland! My name is Janae' I'm a 25 year old female from Pennsylvania state USA! I'm new here wanting to learn about my african culture that I was robbed of due to my ancestors being taken from their homeland on slave ships. I will be doing a DNA test soon to find our what country I came from but I believe I am Nigerian! It's so much I want to learn and know about my identity but I'm lost because I don't know. Just here to express my feelings with you all. Hoping to gain cultural information and to just connect with people from the west coast of Africa where my ancestors were STOLEN from! Some of you may share my bloodline! It's so sad I can't trace my ancestors or family!

Good for you!! I just hope you know that being Nigerian has nothing to do with bloodlines. It's an attitude and an identity created by the same devils who enslaved our ancestors years and years ago. You may be able to trace your roots back to present day Nigeria, but understand that what you should be striving to reconnect with is your ethnic group. Peace be with you!

Popular author Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie sums it up: “...my point is that the only authentic identity for the African is the tribe...I am Nigerian because a white man created Nigeria and gave me that identity. I am black because the white man constructed black to be as different as possible from his white. But I was Igbo before the white man came.”

3 Likes

Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2013
Thank you all for your warm responses, I am grateful and appreciative! A cousin of mine and I plan on taking a trip to Nigeria very soon once we take our DNA test. We desperately hope to find some relatives! It's nice to know where you come from it's who you are! We don't have the privilege of knowing that here in America. Yes there is a DNA test out there to tell you what country of origin you come from and also your african lineage! The website is www.africanancestry.com
I have had 3 people tell me I resemble women of the Igbo tribe . I don't see how most Americans can live day in and day out with no care of their heritage or real culture so many are brainwashed here and suffer "post-slavery syndrome" but I must say more and more are beginning to awake!

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 1:05pm On Oct 24, 2013
philfearon: If to say na guy na,Na so so abuses and blah blah blah blah blah go just de fly everywhere...Abuses like:
"So na today u remember say u be African? Smh!."
"End time things"...
"You miss road?"..
"Ancestral trace ko,culture ni"
Nairalanders sef,i doff cap 4 una!!

What does this mean? What language are you typing if I may ask
Re: African Woman Living In American by meforyou1(m): 2:03pm On Oct 24, 2013
@post, from your picture, u definitely look like an igbo girl. by the way, i am igbo too. so, welcome back my sister.
Re: African Woman Living In American by philfearon(m): 2:47pm On Oct 24, 2013
Glamrock:

A mixture of Pidgin English{Nigeria's official language for indwellers},English and two words from Yoruba language{one of the three major Languages in Nigeria}......
Dont worry,with time,u will learn..Happy and gudluck with your Finding anyway!!
Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 3:09pm On Oct 24, 2013
philfearon:
A mixture of Pidgin English{Nigeria's official language for indwellers},English and two words from Yoruba language{one of the three major Languages in Nigeria}......
Dont worry,with time,u will learn..Happy and gudluck with your Finding anyway!!

THANKYOU! I will research this language and others I come across. I love to learn anything that has to do with the Africa culture. So glad I've found this forum thanks to my good friend Onyinye @god_of_music

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by EEngineer1(m): 3:44pm On Oct 24, 2013
Glamrock:

let me help you my sister
it means " if it was a guy that posted, insults would have been flying here and there, insults like : ' is it today u remembered that u are african right?'
' end time things'
' did u miss road?'
' ancestral tracing or culture, what a joke'
Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 4:50pm On Oct 24, 2013
E-Engineer:

let me help you my sister
it means " if it was a guy that posted, insults would have been flying here and there, insults like : ' is it today u remembered that u are african right?'
' end time things'
' did u miss road?'
' ancestral tracing or culture, what a joke'

Haha!! Wow Sort of rude, we have a right to know our culture and heritage just as anyone else. It's not our fault we were put in this situation. For your help I thank you grin

Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 5:19pm On Oct 24, 2013
god_of_music: Igbos were mostly taken to the Carribean,America and Europe. . . Israel didn't buy slaves.
And you must know that the Igbos were known to be homesick. . . They don't go diasporea without feeling that they are not complete but they adopt any culture easliy. The merchants those days loved to steal or buy them because they are usually light skinned or brown and sometimes dark black.

Igbos slaves were known to commit suicide or jump into the Atlantic believing in the Igbo saying that says 'when a man dies outside. He comes back to his home and family in another form'
so they commit suicide and even fight the merchants just to go back home because of the 'hunger for Igbo land' in their blood!

Another example is Oludah Equaino an igbo slave brought to Europe through a mighty slave ship. He adopted the European life style real quick and he was even the first African slave to be able to write a book. But still he remembered he was Igbo and always identified himself as one till his death.

My hand oo! angry

#TeamGOM grin
Chai see history lecture,you don start from today dey confuse the poor girl with history.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can Some One Translate The Following Words From English To Edo/ Bini Language / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! / Watch White Choir Sing Yoruba Carol.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.