Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,203 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:35 PM

African Woman Living In American - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Woman Living In American (15058 Views)

The Prettiest African Woman / New Blog By A Hausa/fulani Woman Living In England / Ibo People In American Rap Music Industry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Woman Living In American by safarigirl(f): 10:29am On Nov 04, 2013
god_of_music: Yes, she looks calabar but she looks more Igbo, see her lips and her face+her skin tone. . . And don't forget Igbos were mostly taken as slaves back then cheesy

#TeamGOM
she'll be Delta Igbo, Asaba to be exact, the lips, the skin tone. She looks like a younger version of my aunt. @Janae, nno, i bu onye igbo, contact Odumchi for more info on your ancestry. You may also contact Okija_juju and Pagan9ja to discover the traditional religion

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by Howmanage: 11:46am On Nov 04, 2013
I know you op! You have a hair blog!! Welcome though! Its a zoo in here sometimes when the animals come out but i am sure you can stand the heat... Welcome sister
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 3:36pm On Nov 04, 2013
lovelylady:

Thank you! I love being apart of the Igbos! When it comes to Igbo and African Americans relations I will not be able to give an accurate answer. I would have to do some research on the topic.I can only speak on my experience which has been positive. I find Igbos to be the friendliest and more accepting of foreigners. I'm considered a honorary Igbo and I feel honored by that.

@Bold...I find that to be true from the rate of inter-marriage between Igbos and AAs. So many AAs are married to Igbos in the US. Even in Nigeria here. I've seen so many of such marriages here.
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 3:37pm On Nov 04, 2013
lovelylady:

I'm from California.

Ok. Slaves from Central Africa were more dominant in California. However, Igbo slaves were found there too, in sprinkles. You could as well be descended from the few Igbo ancestors there, who knows. smiley
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 4:18pm On Nov 04, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Ok. Slaves from Central Africa were more dominant in California. However, Igbo slaves were found there too, in sprinkles. You could as well be descended from the few Igbo ancestors there, who knows. smiley
My family made their way from the south to California. My grandpas family (Maternal) originated from Savannah Georgia. When slavery ended they moved to Oklahoma and then to Texas. Some have moved from Texas to California. We have a lot of history in Texas. On my grandmas side (Maternal) they originated from Virginia. One of my ancestors from Virginia was sold and ended up in Mississippi. I do believe until this day that I have family members in Virginia but I don't know who they are.

Yes you are correct about Igbo and AA women relations. I know a lot of AA women who have been married to Igbo men for a long time. An Igbo man has been pursuing me for over a year. He is the greatest man I have ever met.

3 Likes

Re: African Woman Living In American by Jiggaman101: 2:23am On Nov 08, 2013
Glamrock: Hello Nairaland! My name is Janae' I'm a 25 year old female from Pennsylvania state USA! I'm new here wanting to learn about my african culture that I was robbed of due to my ancestors being taken from their homeland on slave ships. I will be doing a DNA test soon to find our what country I came from but I believe I am Nigerian! It's so much I want to learn and know about my identity but I'm lost because I don't know. Just here to express my feelings with you all. Hoping to gain cultural information and to just connect with people from the west coast of Africa where my ancestors were STOLEN from! Some of you may share my bloodline! It's so sad I can't trace my ancestors or family!

You don't live that far away from me. I live in Sharon hill. I am studying at upenn.
Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 4:01am On Nov 08, 2013
safarigirl: she'll be Delta Igbo, Asaba to be exact, the lips, the skin tone. She looks like a younger version of my aunt. @Janae, nno, i bu onye igbo, contact Odumchi for more info on your ancestry. You may also contact Okija_juju and Pagan9ja to discover the traditional religion

THANKYOU how would I get in contact with them?? I Would really like info on ancestry and other things of my heritage and culture
Re: African Woman Living In American by Glamrock(f): 4:02am On Nov 08, 2013
Jigga_man101:

You don't live that far away from me. I live in Sharon hill. I am studying at upenn.

Oh ok hi! I'm not too familiar with the area I just moved here
Re: African Woman Living In American by chucky234(m): 5:59am On Nov 08, 2013
lovelylady:
My family made their way from the south to California. My grandpas family (Maternal) originated from Savannah Georgia. When slavery ended they moved to Oklahoma and then to Texas. Some have moved from Texas to California. We have a lot of history in Texas. On my grandmas side (Maternal) they originated from Virginia. One of my ancestors from Virginia was sold and ended up in Mississippi. I do believe until this day that I have family members in Virginia but I don't know who they are.

Yes you are correct about Igbo and AA women relations. I know a lot of AA women who have been married to Igbo men for a long time. An Igbo man has been pursuing me for over a year. He is the greatest man I have ever met.
Hmmm greatest man,I am sure the guy got perfect wooing skills couple with his biz intelligence,he will no doubt make a good hubby.
Stop forming and say yes to him before that oyinbo window steal him from you,heed to my candid advice before you loose that igbo guy ooo.
Igbo kwenu.
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 7:33am On Nov 20, 2013
It looks like I need to invest in a DNA test to find out about my African ancestry. In addition to Igbo I am now told that I look Yoruba, Cameroonian, Ghanaian and Ethiopian. Ethiopian is definitely not correct because I am of west-Central African descent.I have never been so confused. undecided
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 10:14am On Nov 20, 2013
lovelylady: It looks like I need to invest in a DNA test to find out about my African ancestry. In addition to Igbo I am now told that I look Yoruba, Cameroonian, Ghanaian and Ethiopian. Ethiopian is definitely not correct because I am of west-Central African descent.I have never been so confused. undecided

A DNA test would definitely be the best determinant.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by macof(m): 2:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
Glamrock:

THANKYOU how would I get in contact with them?? I Would really like info on ancestry and other things of my heritage and culture

www.nairaland.com/odumchi

www.nairaland.com/pagan%20%209ja
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 9:13pm On Nov 20, 2013
bigfrancis21:

A DNA test would definitely be the best determinant.

I added my picture to my profile. From that picture which group(s) do I look similar to?
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 9:51pm On Nov 20, 2013
lovelylady:

I added my picture to my profile. From that picture which group(s) do I look similar to?

Wow. You look like an Igbo girl from Enugu state. You look so much like my maternal cousin from Enugu state.

Looks like you were also wearing a native African attire or something?
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 9:54pm On Nov 20, 2013
lovelylady: It looks like I need to invest in a DNA test to find out about my African ancestry. In addition to Igbo I am now told that I look Yoruba, Cameroonian, Ghanaian and Ethiopian. Ethiopian is definitely not correct because I am of west-Central African descent.I have never been so confused. undecided

By the way, from your pictures, you look Igbo.
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 3:10am On Nov 21, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Wow. You look like an Igbo girl from Enugu state. You look so much like my maternal cousin from Enugu state.

Looks like you were also wearing a native African attire or something?
That's what the Igbos tell me as well. I have noticed the resemblance between Igbos and AA's. We are definitely indistinguishable! I have not had very much exposure around different African ethnic groups. I have never met or seen a Ghanaian, Cameroonian and etc.When I'm told I look like them I have a blank look on my face. In my lifetime I have only met Nigerians and Ethiopians.

Now that you mentioned my blouse it does have an African attire look. No it's not though I'm currently working on getting some dresses made though. The dresses are beautiful!
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 8:32pm On Nov 21, 2013
lovelylady:
That's what the Igbos tell me as well. I have noticed the resemblance between Igbos and AA's. We are definitely indistinguishable! I have not had very much exposure around different African ethnic groups. I have never met or seen a Ghanaian, Cameroonian and etc.When I'm told I look like them I have a blank look on my face. In my lifetime I have only met Nigerians and Ethiopians.

Now that you mentioned my blouse it does have an African attire look. No it's not though I'm currently working on getting some dresses made though. The dresses are beautiful!

@Bold...that's true.

Native african attires can be beautiful. Do get some ready. You'll love them!
Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 8:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
Igbos and AAs share a lot of resemblance. Below are pictures from the Umu Igbo 9th Convention held at Dallas Texas recently. From the images, you'll find it difficult to differentiate.

http://trendyafrica.com/events/association/umu-igbo-9th-convention-in-dallas/

The one on the right looks like Rihanna.

Notice the ladies wearing beautiful native attires. You could sow one of the styles of your choice.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by bosslife850: 7:59am On Nov 22, 2013
Any interested woman seeking a 100% discreet relationship with a young , educated and matured guy should contact me for meet up.
You can call text or add me on bbm... 08065099377, 08167950172, 21CAD793.. Any location in Nigeria.
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 5:18am On Nov 24, 2013
bigfrancis21:

@Bold...that's true.

Native african attires can be beautiful. Do get some ready. You'll love them!

I'm in the process of looking at fabric. It has been difficult because I do not know what to buy. What I do not like is the texture of the wax fabric. Hopefully I will have one made at the beginning of next year. The attire is very beautiful and I can't wait to get my dress made.
Re: African Woman Living In American by lovelylady: 5:26am On Nov 24, 2013
bigfrancis21: Igbos and AAs share a lot of resemblance. Below are pictures from the Umu Igbo 9th Convention held at Dallas Texas recently. From the images, you'll find it difficult to differentiate.

http://trendyafrica.com/events/association/umu-igbo-9th-convention-in-dallas/

The one on the right looks like Rihanna.

Notice the ladies wearing beautiful native attires. You could sow one of the styles of your choice.

Nice! I enjoy myself at Igbo parties. I went to one last year and the majority of it was in Igbo. I had a confused look on my face and my friends just laughed at me. I could not tell you what they were saying. Going to the parties is a good experience. I encourage black Americans to attend so that they can see true African culture. That has been a difficult mission to accomplish.

Most of the individuals in the pictures have familiar faces. What I mean by that is that I have seen American black people who look similar to them.

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 8:12am On Nov 24, 2013
lovelylady:

I'm in the process of looking at fabric. It has been difficult because I do not know what to buy. What I do not like is the texture of the wax fabric. Hopefully I will have one made at the beginning of next year. The attire is very beautiful and I can't wait to get my dress made.

Several Nigerian materials exist - lace material, brocade material, george material, hollandis material etc. Each of them has its own unique feel and looks. You can buy any of them, and sow beautiful african clothes for yourself. smiley
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 8:38pm On Nov 28, 2013
Igbos and AAs share a lot of resemblance. Below are pictures from the Umu Igbo 9th Convention held at Dallas Texas recently. From the images, you'll find it difficult to differentiate.

Agreed, now contrast that with these students from "Alabama State University" an HBCU(Historically black college/University) from my state of Alabama which is two states over from Texas were those pictures above were taken(My aunt is actually a nurse out in Dallas Texas). Both states being located in the U.S. black belt region(Were most African Americans live)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYxD0XfM6rY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_TScx-XuxM

Kinda off topic but since I'm talking about Alabama and the U.S. Black Belt Region here is a funny story from there.
**Warning strong language**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PToqVW4n86U

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 11:40pm On Nov 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by bigfrancis21: 12:02am On Dec 01, 2013

1 Like

Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 11:15am On Dec 01, 2013
Not to take this thread of track, but after posting those band videos for comparison I got into watching more band videos.

(I found this one to good not to share, I love my peoples grin )

Prairie View A&M University: part of the Texas A&M University System
PVU Marching Storm - Homecoming Tunnel (2013)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BN_GynQIik

I'd love to see one of these shows with west African masquerade costumes on instead of the European marching band uniforms.
That would be bad ass!!!

I can definitely see a situation where instead of the regular drum major outfit...

He'd have on like this(see one in the middle )...

Example: 1:10 - 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-va-XaU18o
Re: African Woman Living In American by RandomAfricanAm: 8:45pm On Dec 01, 2013
Ok back on topic
grin
Re: African Woman Living In American by peezle: 8:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
babe_online: I saw your picture and you look very Igbo.

She is thus Christened UGONWANNE as her Igbo name.
Ugonwanne you pop the question you have about Nigeria. There are elders and sages here to answer *grabs his nzu and makes his mark on the dirty earth, clears his throat, reclines on his chair then brings out his snff box..taps it thrice for good measure takes two nosefuls then says in Obama's voice "bring it on"*
Re: African Woman Living In American by MrsChima(f): 3:48am On Dec 09, 2013
The African DNA website is still running?!!!

Oy vey!
Re: African Woman Living In American by Nyumba(m): 6:54pm On Dec 09, 2013
I think that these African DNA tests are bull****, 40% of the slave were taken from Angola.

If I did the test it'd probably end up with

"You are Akan with a bit of Hausa and Bamiléké ancestry"

They surely have only few DNA patterns to take as reference

I'm Rwandan, btw

Bamiléké palace

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.