Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,424 members, 7,815,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator (5279 Views)

Any Hope For A Database Administrator In Nigeria / Salary Of Fresh Graduate Level 8 At Nigerian Communications Commission - NCC / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Enaks(m): 10:40am On Jul 08, 2008
ANY PROGRAMMERS! WELL I WANT 2 ASK HOW MUCH ARE THEY PAYING A PROGRAMMER OR DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR COS I WANT 2 GOING INTO PROGRAMMING.
I ALSO NEED SOME E-BOOKS PLS SEND 2
naks4dtp@yahoo.com
c u there
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Bossman(m): 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2008
Don't go into programming with how much money you can make as the sole reason. More than likely you will fail miserably. Is it something you love, is it something you will like to do day and night even if you do not get paid at all, do you like problem solving, specifically do you like mathematics? If you cannot answer yes to all these questions, your chances of surviving in the field of application development are very slim.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by A40(m): 4:04pm On Jul 09, 2008
@enaks
You are in it for the wrong cause bro and you wouldnt get far trust me it has to be your passion something you cant do without otherwise you would really just be playing yourself
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by kanirip: 9:51am On Jul 10, 2008
The replies in the post have been quite funny!

Do you think every Drill Engineer working on the Bonga Fields enjloys pushing drills all day long? Do you think all the people doing Network Support for Chevron enjoy getting told to defragment hard drives and clean up the internals of the machine?

I doubt it.

But here we are telling this fellow that he should only become a programmer 'if he enjoys programming'( Whatever that means I don't know) in order to avoid the posters original question.

Na wa!

And to the poster, I think what the above were trying to say was, that for the most part, A programmer/Database Administrator gets paid about the same rate as a beggar in VGC which is around 40K a month.

I hope that answers your question.

2 Likes

Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by tomX1(m): 11:07am On Jul 10, 2008
kanirip:

Do you think every Drill Engineer working on the Bonga Fields enjloys pushing drills all day long? Do you think all the people doing Network Support for Chevron enjoy getting told to defragment hard drives and clean up the internals of the machine?

I doubt it.

But here we are telling this fellow that he should only become a programmer 'if he enjoys programming'( Whatever that means I don't know) in order to avoid the posters original question.

Na wa!

And to the poster, I think what the above were trying to say was, that for the most part, A programmer/Database Administrator gets paid about the same rate as a beggar in VGC which is around 40K a month.

Unlike menial and routine tasks you just mentioned above, programming, just like art, takes a lot of creativity, and if your heart is not in it then you would not get far.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by ade2kay(m): 2:45pm On Jul 10, 2008
kanirip:

I doubt it.

Na wa!

I don't the replies are trying to scare the chap from programming, rather he is being told the plain truth.

@poster

-- Are you ready to go sleepless nights several days because of some lines of code ?
-- You wont be able to think straight, and your head is just jammed, and you can't still put your problem across to people because it's not something they can see ?
-- You have an innate crave for perfect code instead of semi-automating your code
-- You don't give up easily
-- You are a super-fast thinker.
-- and after all the hard labour, you get paid peanuts

Bro, there are no two ways, if you don't have the talent for programming, you won't stand out, and you will always opt out at the slightest opportunity
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by A40(m): 7:26pm On Jul 10, 2008
@kanirip
You have got it twisted bro.Someone getting 40k will probably be an entry level staff and after a few months or years of experience your salary would definitely triple or quadruple if you are able to prove your worth.Programmers are paid better out in the states than in Nigeria but in everything you do the money never comes immediately and thats the truth
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Kobojunkie: 12:19am On Jul 11, 2008
Yes, programming is an art and if you are willing to commit, you will enjoy being a programmer. Understand that copy-paste is not same as programming. There is that joy that comes with being able to write your own application from scratch and getting paid to learn as you go. It's a fantastic field to be in and if you are motivated, you will go places.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by sayhi2ay(m): 12:22am On Jul 11, 2008
if you are going into programming, are you doing self-study? cos that wont work!
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by A40(m): 3:05pm On Jul 11, 2008
sayhi2ay:

if you are going into programming, are you doing self-study? because that wont work!
I disagree it does work sometimes
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by tomX1(m): 5:30pm On Jul 11, 2008
sayhi2ay:

if you are going into programming, are you doing self-study? because that wont work!

I realy disagree. A lot of very good programmers are self taught. it realy boost your ability to think out of the box and your ability to research. You will need a lot of good books too. You have to get into some kind of support group so that when/if you run into difficulties they could guide you to the right path.

Someone defined tragedy (for a programmer) as: When you run into serious difficulties with your code only to realise that you are the local programming guru.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by sayhi2ay(m): 6:52pm On Jul 11, 2008
@tomX:

I realy disagree. A lot of very good programmers are self taught. it realy boost your ability to think out of the box and your ability to research. You will need a lot of good books too. You have to get into some kind of support group so that when/if you run into difficulties they could guide you to the right path.

Someone defined tragedy (for a programmer) as: When you run into serious difficulties with your code only to realise that you are the local programming guru.

my point exactly, if you join a support group, that means you are learning from outside source, that then wont be a self-study arrangement again,
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by yawatide(f): 8:49pm On Jul 11, 2008
It is funny how NO ONE has actually answered the question, no matter how average or rough guess-timation would be undecided

1 Like

Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Kobojunkie: 8:53pm On Jul 11, 2008
OK , The @Poster did not give a particular country , here goes

Depending on your skill set , Entry Level college Educated Programmers can get $50k and up. Senior level developers average about $100K, add more years + Education and you climb even higher. Now get into Project Management and you are looking at $150k Up.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by yawatide(f): 9:09pm On Jul 11, 2008
and in Nigeria, how much on average do the equivalent positions that you have mentioned earn? cool
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by A40(m): 9:14pm On Jul 11, 2008
A DBA could earn anything between 60,000 to 140,000 dollars or more annually depending on your years of experience and the kind of organization you work for basically our point is the money should not be your only allure to the profession
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Bossman(m): 9:39pm On Jul 11, 2008
Exactly Guys! The point we are trying to get across. All of us, at least those of us in the UK, US, and the rest of the west, can attest to the fact that these fields highly rewarding in general. However, nothing comes easy. And you really have to love doing it in order to become very good at it. Along with that comes a lot of frustrations and challenges, and if you are in it only for the money, it will be a tough ladder to climb.

Again, whatever field you go into, just work hard to be you possible best at it. Along with that will come the reward.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by Afam(m): 12:23pm On Jul 14, 2008
In Nigeria I doubt if there is any industry standard as programming itself is not anywhere close to maturity so it will be difficult to get a reasonable average as it all boils down the the skill set of the programmer and the willingness of employers to pay depending on how they perceive the job of programming.

I have done programming jobs for as little as N50k and as high as N400k for tasks that may not take up to 4 days so it really depends on the programmer.

As an employee I would demand say N600k a month but as an employer I may be looking at paying N150k per month.
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by A40(m): 2:04am On Jul 20, 2008
Naah there isnt but sometimes your qualifications outside IT can be a big factor the whole BSC and NYSC schitzo always comes to the fore`
Re: Salary Of A Programmer Or Database Administrator by alexis(m): 5:04pm On Jul 21, 2008
Depends on your client ell and your skill level if you were a consultant. As a employee, it still depends on your skill level and what you are actually working on. I think anything from $700 for an entry level position should be alright. A technical Architect can command more than $5,000 or more a month.

(1) (Reply)

Aviation Scholarships For Nigerians / CIS Nigeria Professional Exam - Chartered Stock Brokers Exam / Tips For Fulfilling Your God Given Dream: Joseph's Case Study

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.