Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,151 members, 7,818,470 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:34 PM

Critic This Website - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Critic This Website (1211 Views)

I Am 17 Years Old, I Designed This Website. Criticise It And Support Me / Short Critic About Nairaland / Who Did This Website (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 1:40pm On Jul 08, 2008
Hi all,

I just finished this website some days back,

Please tell me what you think sincerely and do not skip the intro please.

www.vandongroup.com
Re: Critic This Website by smartsoft(m): 2:38pm On Jul 08, 2008
nice template
Re: Critic This Website by Kobojunkie: 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2008
1) The Flash movie does not seem well thought out. I mean sure to the plain eye, it looks nice but a a second look, you almost get that it is not as good.

2) Using a template is a good idea but you have to work on making that template your own meaning you have to customize it to fit your need and business.
Re: Critic This Website by yawatide(f): 2:56pm On Jul 08, 2008
1) Intro page: Why the long gray bar to the right?

2) Intro page: The "atom" orbits around the "v" seems a little fuzzy at first. Why not use vector graphics there?

3) Global: Why is the "contact us" a link and the other menu items images?

4) Contact us page: No form. Why?

5) Global: Your page header images (eg. "Bukola Concepts"wink are too large. Average size was 89K. Refer to one of my posts: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-146260.0.html for more on this.

6) Flash everywhere: I also wrote a post on this : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-147722.0.html - refer to it. Also have you tested especially your intro page at the local cyber cafe to see how it loads with the available bandwidth?

In general: good job! I also think you stand to benefit from my upcoming Ebook.
Re: Critic This Website by Nobody: 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2008
i can't smell template here, i think it's his

the flash is, em, well, (1 mans poison is another man's meat)

i think yawa has most of the don'ts spelt out
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 3:11pm On Jul 08, 2008
Hey guys,

Thanks for your responses so far?

1) Intro page: Why the long gray bar to the right?

2) Intro page: The "atom" orbits around the "v" seems a little fuzzy at first. Why not use vector graphics there?

3) Global: Why is the "contact us" a link and the other menu items images?

4) Contact us page: No form. Why?

5) Global: Your page header images (eg. "Bukola Concepts"wink are too large. Average size was 89K. Refer to one of my posts: https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-146260.0.html for more on this.

6) Flash everywhere: I also wrote a post on this : https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-147722.0.html - refer to it.

In general: good job! I also think you stand to benefit from my upcoming Ebook.

Hi Yawa,

Answers to your questions,

1). long gray bar is just a style ok which I can't explain fully now.

2).I wanted to but the client says emphasis must be on the V ie the company name

3).I made the contact us a link simply becos the website was completely taken over by buttons here and there,

na the client kept bringing up new things he wanted on the site so I no see space to place contact us.

4). It was based on the clients request, my dear na fight i dey face everyday with the client o.

5). Header pages, I will work on that right now, probably used the wrong image (thanks)

6). Flash everywhere right, so I thought, that is the problem with Nigerian clients they want you to go below standards

to achieve their stuff, I had to beg the client in order not to allow the site clogged up with flash.

in fact he did not pay me upfront until he saw all those plenty flash.

You will not believe most of the content of the website came when I was ready to host, he just brought out a book and

said I should type everything i despite my plenty begging.

in fact I actually posted this thread cos of all the sites I have done,

this one was very perculiar so I wanted to see if y'all will reason along the same lines with me
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 3:21pm On Jul 08, 2008

1) The Flash movie does not seem well thought out. I mean sure to the plain eye, it looks nice but a a second look, you almost get that it is not as good.

2) Using a template is a good idea but you have to work on making that template your own meaning you have to customize it to fit your need and business.

KoboJunkie, Why do u feel its a template?
Re: Critic This Website by smartsoft(m): 3:25pm On Jul 08, 2008
i tought i was the only one who saw the template thing oooooooo
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 3:30pm On Jul 08, 2008
Abeg one small question o. What is wrong with using a template abeg?

na wah for naija o.
Re: Critic This Website by yawatide(f): 3:32pm On Jul 08, 2008
i will let kobo speak for herself but speaking for myself, a template is any blueprint upon which other pages of your site will rely on for structure. In other words, whether you get it from somewhere or develop it from scratch, once you have the first page up, 99% of the time, that first page is what the other pages will be based on. It shouldn't be anything to be shy or embarrassed about. After all, I dare say majority of the sites out there are based at least in part on another site out there.

In other words, a template is something that can easily be replicated once developed the first time around. And I might be right, at least based on this page: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&defl=en&q=define:Web+template&sa=X&oi=glossary_definition&ct=title
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 3:52pm On Jul 08, 2008
Hi Yawa,

Abeg u are very smart, really!

Thanks o jare!
Re: Critic This Website by HC: 4:20pm On Jul 08, 2008
Looks like a template.
Re: Critic This Website by wrighto2n: 4:57pm On Jul 08, 2008
There's nothing wrong in using a template. the template on dat site is cool but, u need to work more on it .

You can use ur CSS to control the contact us link so it will look like other links on d site.
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 5:00pm On Jul 08, 2008
HC,

I take that to mean that the website is very fine right?

so tell me why u say it looks like a template.

wrighto2n,

Thanks
Re: Critic This Website by rancetech(m): 5:25pm On Jul 08, 2008
You did a very nice job. But the truth is that, the whole thing is very annoying, sorry to say. Was there really any need for those craps? I mean, this is just a business website, just go straight to the point. All I want to see, is what you can offer and not watch flash movies. This is the problem with our Nigerian web developers. Simplicity should always be your watchword. I hope u're not angry with my statements, you needed a critic, right? So no offense. Anyway, nice job.
Re: Critic This Website by uspry1(f): 5:28pm On Jul 08, 2008
Nothing wrong to reuse Flash template as long as you do know how to parse external XML or PHP files loading into Flash content area---faster retrieval, low download time for Nigerians who do not have broadband connection and easy to update only external files---not on raw Flash itself (.fla).

Nice site, Elgaxton!
Re: Critic This Website by Gamine(f): 5:29pm On Jul 08, 2008
i was going to critic it, but lemme just say its OK
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 5:36pm On Jul 08, 2008
rancetech

na wah o, which one u want make I take na? smiley

Thanks Uspry1

Gamine

please go ahead, tell me ur mind, i don't mind that's why posted this thread here.
Re: Critic This Website by HC: 5:50pm On Jul 08, 2008
Its not a bad concept, but if you are really used to visiting template websites, you will notice how your site looks. I don't have problems with using templates (i use templates too), you just have to be quite creative about it. Remember, no idea is original.
Re: Critic This Website by Elgaxton(m): 5:57pm On Jul 08, 2008
the truth is that I can't use a popular template

(1) (Reply)

Web Designers Wanted For Immediate Employment @ Potech Integrated Services. / Evden Eve Nakliyat / I Need A Web Developer To Design A Content Web Template For Me

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.