Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,269 members, 7,826,034 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 08:50 AM

National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu (6508 Views)

We Warned Tinubu About Buhari –senator Femi Okurounmu / See New Map Of Nigeria With 19 More States Proposed By National Confab / Igbo Leaders Reject Okurounmu National Conference Panel’s Report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 9:01pm On Oct 26, 2013
shymexx:

I had to wake you up. Most of these clowns in the politics section work for special interest groups and there's nothing worse than a man whose opinion is paid for - he's less than a man. The handwriting is already on wall and it is about when and how it's going to happen. The other two countries in which the empire amalgamated have already disintegrated - and Nigeria is the only one left.

There are many little countries and semi-autonomous countries doing fine. I can even cite Bender and Tiraspol in Moldova. Nigeria needs to follow the same path and let the people go develop on their own. Nigeria is like 2,000 years away from becoming a super-power and its institutions are still stuck in the mid-century. So the main concern should be about the poor who want better life and proper governance getting to them, without the kleptocrats who have got them on the choke-hold.

Let the dreamers keep dreaming, the inevitable is going to happen soon. cool

Well, it's time for a new thing!

Farewell Nigeria. We failed to make you great.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 9:02pm On Oct 26, 2013
Can someone put the transcript up please? I couldn't understand the presenter's ibotic accent.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 9:06pm On Oct 26, 2013
shymexx: The damn piece of shyte of a country is NEVER going to work!!

Too many people with different outlook to life - there's no way you can attain your potentials with divided interests. It has never happened in the history of mankind - and it's definitely not going to happen with Nigeria!

Kpom! The whole truth! Nothing but the truth!
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 9:10pm On Oct 26, 2013
gbanikiti: I totally disagree with you at the bold comment. I can't believe that despite the sufferings and total hardship of vast majority of nigerians,they don't crave for a disintegration. Those who clamour for the existence of one nigeria are the ones who benefit financially from it. Nigeria is due for disintergration only if will not result to war.

Indeed Berem!

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by DerideGull(m): 9:39pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Nwanne, I feel your pain. But that pain is what I classify as surmountable growing pains. A friend of mine had the same issues with partners he brought from Texas to look into building grain silos. Some how, his foreign partners overcame their fears after building the first silo and raking in millions. They've since returned to build over 25 Silos. On one ocasion they entered Nigeria through Niger republic by road, the incentive was there for them.

We truly need to remove tribalism from the decisions to revamp our airports and yes, I agree with you that the lack of multiple, functioning international airports in the SE is a disgrace and a prime shame.

It seems the underlining theme of your post on building grain silos in Nigeria bordered on making money. I have nothing against making money but we must not lose the sight of grass root appendages of our actions while making money. For example, the issue of grain silos in Nigeria readily comes to mind. Except for the few fortunate Nigerians, how would the silos help grass root agricultural practices or a local farmer in Abakiliki, Owo or Oturkpo?

There are miles and miles of farmland often owned by world Class Corporation in certain countries where silos are gainfully used not a jungle such as Nigeria.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by sCun: 9:40pm On Oct 26, 2013
ballabriggs: Only a dreamer will think you can break Nigeria.
Your only sensible post on Nairaland. Some people think dividing Nigeria is like cutting a loaf of bread. Even if it happens it isn't going to solve any problem. If we can't be united now, there will still be divisions then. The Ijebu man will suddenly remember he is different from the rest of Yorubas etc.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by sCun: 9:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
0lumide:

Well, it's time for a new thing!

Farewell Nigeria. We failed to make you great.
You obviously have no mind of your own. That is what your posts on this thread have shown.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by fiizznation: 9:46pm On Oct 26, 2013
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by DerideGull(m): 9:47pm On Oct 26, 2013
Nothing leads to corruption more than tribal bias. Nigeria will explode due to endemic corruption. Nobody had said disintegration of Nigeria is going be a cakewalk but discussing about it on a roundtable is a better alterative than fighting it out in a war front.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 9:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
sCun: Your only sensible post on Nairaland. Some people think dividing Nigeria is like cutting a loaf of bread. Even if it happens it isn't going to solve any problem. If we can't be united now, there will still be divisions then. The Ijebu man will suddenly remember he is different from the rest of Yorubas etc.

Why concern yourself about Yoruba when you have your region to concern yourself with?

We don't like each other, we have nothing in common culturally and linguistically so why must Yorubas stay to carry on being your crutches!

Enough is enough! We are too distinctly different and share different moral ethics and ideologies. An ibo person has no business with a Yoruba! We must part ways!
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by gbanikiti(m): 9:52pm On Oct 26, 2013
@ndu chucks, don't pretend you didn't see my question on the previous page. I need an objective answer from you asap! grin
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by atlwireles: 9:57pm On Oct 26, 2013
Desola:

Why concern yourself about Yoruba when you have your region to concern yourself with?

We don't like each other, we have nothing in common culturally and linguistically so why must Yorubas stay to carry on being your crutches!

Enough is enough! We are too distinctly different and share different moral ethics and ideologies. An ibo person has no business with a Yoruba! We must part ways!

Best comment you have made on forum. Everybody should mind their business and split this hell call Nigeria. If Haiti can be a country, Chad, Niger and even Malawi, then All tribes, zones, and region in the current landmass call Nigeria will do just fine separated.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 10:04pm On Oct 26, 2013
gbanikiti: Those who are going to cause the war are those who don't want disintegration,or are there any other reasons why a war could happen? Use the Biafran war as an example.

Those who want disintegration will have to fight the powers that be, and they will be routed in that fight. There will be no breakup without a popular revolution or millitary coup. Tribalism will not allow the revolution to take place in a timely manner.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by kettykings: 10:11pm On Oct 26, 2013
fiizznation: the republic of AREWA.. for crying out loud. we r tired of this ungodly marriaged btw our north and the south { especially those ass lickers in the SE, cant even imagine how they co-exist with themselves. human eaters, criminals, fraudstars, drug pushers, arm-robbers etc in every evil act in the world.. they have succeeded in tarnishing the image of the country in every corner of the earth. i now hear that their recent crime center is UAE.}.... and nobody should scream his a.ss out that the northerners are surviving cuz of the curse OIL in the creeks. yeah few of our northern brothers[ polithiefians ] have a slice in the so called oil-money, but i tell u, majority of us in the north make our money frm either farming{ even though it doesnt fetch enough money, but we r still surviving and feeding the entire curse nation with our food, and we dont complain} or our businesses[and other legal ways]. The day this curse nation seize to exist ll be the happiest day of every northerner who really knows where his problem started from.
But these bottom lickers once wasted more than 1.5 million souls all in a bid to be on their own country which your folks went to every extent including mortgaging their religious beliefs and freedom including going into a lop sided economic agreement with Britain and Soviet union all in s bif to stop them

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 10:13pm On Oct 26, 2013
atlwireles:

Best comment you have made on forum. Everybody should mind their business and split this hell call Nigeria. If Haiti can be a country, Chad, Niger and even Malawi, then All tribes, zones, and region in the current landmass call Nigeria will do just fine separated.

But seriously, if we look at the dynamics of Nigeria critically, you will see that without the argument of "our oil feeds the nation", Yoruba has been the big brother of Nigeria. We have given so much in activism by standing against tyranny; we have sustained the country with cocoa export before the discovery of oil; we have had the capital city imposed on us without having a say in the decision; we have had the most migrants from the nooks and cranny of the country and had no choice but be hospitable, accommodating and tolerant. Our seaport has enabled the eastern region to thrive as traders. We have produced the best administrators and professionals and sacrificed our notable figures on the table of democracy.

Now, it's time to start looking after number one. Let us let go of the dead body called Nigeria. National conference will not do! We must demand sovereign national conference. Let the ijaws go and enjoy their oil and rebuild their land - give them the right to determine their own destiny; to control their wealth.

It is time to cut the cord!

4 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Midastouch1: 10:17pm On Oct 26, 2013
Afam4eva: This OKurunmi guy is not serious grin. How did he come to the conclusion that it's only fringe groups that are calling for Nigeria's dismembering and are these fringe groups not made up of Nigerians. I think this conference maybe bound to fail if there are no go areas.

Ok let me say this. As much as I feel that Afam is a very biased Mod and certainly very tribalistic, I concur with his submissions that having no-go areas is a bit subjective and defeats the purpose of a "National" Conference (NC). Even if Okunrumu and his fellow Committee members term these groups as fringe elements, they still represent components of the Nigerian polity and in a democratic setting have inalienable rights to put forward their case.

I listened to the entire interview and have respect for the Senator, but respectfully it is not his mandate to decide who can and cannot make representations about how they think the future of the Nigerian state should be decided. It might surprise us that the generality of Nigerians might want a "dismembered" Nigeria, however unlikely that might sound, it is imperative the (NC) is all inclusive to gauge the precise barometer of the feelings of the generality of Nigerians.

He expressly stated that the final decisions of the Conference will be put to a referendum, which means that it is the Nigerian populace that will have the last say (?) - the question mark was put there because there was equivocation on the part of the Senator on the role of the National Assembly (NA) in the whole process- the interviewer asked what would happen if the NA rejects the result of the referendum- he did not get a definitive answer to the question.

I am tempted to say the whole process will be a charade and a smokescreen for a higher agenda but I will reserve my comments for now.

1 Like

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by gbanikiti(m): 10:18pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Those who want disintegration will have to fight the powers that be , and they will be routed in that fight. There will be no breakup without a popular revolution or millitary coup. Tribalism will not allow the revolution to take place in a timely manner.
Good! But do you agree with me that those who do not want the country to split are benefiting financially from nigeria because am trying to figure out what you mean by "powers to be".
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Nobody: 10:21pm On Oct 26, 2013
gbanikiti: Good! But do you agree with me that those who do not want the country to split are benefiting financially from nigeria because am trying to figure out what you mean by "powers to be".

Powers that be are those who are benefiting financially from Nigeria.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by fiizznation: 10:22pm On Oct 26, 2013
kettykings:
But these bottom lickers once wasted more than 1.5 million souls all in a bid to be on their own country which your folks went to every extent including mortgaging their religious beliefs and freedom including going into a lop sided economic agreement with Britain and Soviet union all in s bif to stop them
... dude that was in the military era.. and thats what any head of state in a military regime ll have done.. and mind u, u pple [igbo] brought the military into the seat of power.. so ur question should be directed to the khaki boys
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by sCun: 10:23pm On Oct 26, 2013
Desola:

Try to speak for yourself more. Using statements like ''we don't like each other'' makes it look like you are the spokesperson of both tribes. I am sure there were hundreds of Yoruba /Igbo marriages that took place today,just like every other weekend. Are you telling me that the couples do not like each other. While you are busy wasting your life hating online, people from both tribes are working and partying together in the real world. You need to wake up, life does not end on Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by nduchucks: 10:25pm On Oct 26, 2013
gbanikiti: Good! But do you agree with me that those who do not want the country to split are benefiting financially from nigeria because am trying to figure out what you mean by "powers to be".

In addition to the said 'powers that be', we have over 100 million ordinary Nigerians without access to the internet like you and I, who do not support breaking up or war, but prefer to be given more opportunities to cater for their families in peace. They are the silent majority of Nigerians.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 10:33pm On Oct 26, 2013
sCun: Try to speak for yourself more. Using statements like ''we don't like each other'' makes it look like you are the spokesperson of both tribes. I am sure there were hundreds of Yoruba /Igbo marriages that took place today,just like every other weekend. Are you telling me that the couples do not like each other. While you are busy wasting your life hating online, people from both tribes are working and partying together in the real world. You need to wake up, life does not end on Nairaland.

No doubt that there are a handful of Yoruba ibo marriages taking place but that does not stop the ibo traditional leaders coming out to call a whole region "amala and oily soup people", now does it? Even after Nigeria breaks up, there would be inter marriages but if you are not being disingenous like you always are, then going by the general pulse of the nation and the stupid stereotypes we have created for one another, it is clear as day that we do not like each other. If you are not prepared to take my word for it in the real world, this site is filled to the brim with evidence that we cannot continue to co-exist. I bet that should I take the trouble of perusing your post history, I would find some generalisations about Yoruba people.

Pretend all you like, but the fact would not fly away. That psquare is marryiing a half Yoruba girl does not equate to the two different ethnic group having love for each other and you know it!

it is just too simplistic to say that we love each other because few individuals from different ethnic groups are getting together in matrimony. Even Adekunle didn't see anything wrong in killing anything that moves in iboland during the civil war and yet take a bride home from the same land after the war, so there you go!

5 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by sCun: 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
Desola:

No doubt that there are a handful of Yoruba ibo marriages taking place but that does not stop the ibo traditional leaders coming out to call a whole region "amala and oily soup people", now does it? Even after Nigeria breaks up, there would be inter marriages but if you are not being disingenous like you always are, then going by the general pulse of the nation and the stupid stereotypes we have created for one another, it is clear as day that we do not like each other. If you are not prepared to take my word for it in the real world, this site is filled to the brim with evidence that we cannot continue to co-exist. I bet that should I take the trouble of perusing your post history, I would find some generalisations about Yoruba people.

Pretend all you like, but the fact would not fly away. That psquare is marryiing a half Yoruba girl does not equate to the two different ethnic group having love for each other and you know it!

it is just too simplistic to say that we love each other because few individuals from different ethnic groups are getting together in matrimony. Even Adekunle didn't see anything wrong in killing anything that moves in iboland during the civil war and yet take a bride home from the same land after the war, so there you go!
It goes beyond marriage alone, there are Igbos and Yorubas doing things together in all facets of life without any hatred whatsoever. If you don't like Igbos state it clearly, there are also Igbos on this same thread who clearly do not like Yorubas, but making sweeping statements like ''we do not like each other'' is absolutely wrong. Like I said before, speak for yourself. Life does not end on Nairaland. You need to step out more.

2 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by gbanikiti(m): 10:45pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

In addition to the said 'powers that be', we have over 100 million ordinary Nigerians without access to the internet like you and I, who do not support breaking up or war, but prefer to be given more opportunities to cater for their families in peace. They are the silent majority of Nigerians.
what opportunities are you talking about and how many opportunities have been given to them so far for them not to clamour for a break up?
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by sCun: 10:49pm On Oct 26, 2013
ndu_chucks:

That is what people like Desola do not understand, they come here pretending to speak for all Nigerians or people of a particular tribe. Nairaland members isn't even up to 0.5% of Nigeria's population, considering the alternate accounts.
Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Desola(f): 10:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
sCun: It goes beyond marriage alone, there are Igbos and Yorubas doing things together in all facets of life without any hatred whatsoever. If you don't like Igbos state it clearly, there are also Igbos on this same thread who clearly do not like Yorubas, but making sweeping statements like ''we do not like each other'' is absolutely wrong. Like I said before, speak for yourself. Life does not end on Nairaland. You need to step out more.

Like I said earlier and I again reiterate, even when Nigeria breaks, Yorubas would still do business with Ibos. I am personally not fond of ibos generally but it does not mean this is so for all Yorubas. The issue in Nigeria is not so much about hatred but that we are so fundamentally different that that difference has stopped us from forging ahead with a unity of purpose. Yoruba people are deeply spiritual and grounded in their culture and tradition. The ibos might be similar but I have found that even if that were so, we are not on the same level.

Our history is starkly different and our gods are totally different even though we are now trying to build bridges by finding commonalities through foreign religions. Take the current happenings for example, there is a renewed sense of Yoruba nationalism because for the first time since the hay days of Awolowo, Yorubas are forging ahead and taking developmental strides. We are thinking of railways through our region, building infrastructures while on the other hand, people of your region are crying about Yorubas witch hunting their corrupt daughter Oduah. We have different priorities and cannot afford to be distracted by trivialities.

You claim that contrary to my assertions of lost love between our ethnic groups, ibos are getting together in every day life. While this is true, it doesn't stop your national newspapers from castigating Ngige all because he is part of what you term 'Yoruba party' which has an agenda of ridding its region of the ibos. You called Fashola all sorts of names because he chose to help reunite some of your people with your family. Yet, with all these evidence you come bold faced to tell me that the disunity between us is a figment of my imagination?

I bet you didn't believe that even when you were typing it out.

5 Likes

Re: National Confab: Why We Won’t Discuss Breaking Up Nigeria By Sen. Femi Okurounmu by Midastouch1: 11:05pm On Oct 26, 2013
sCun: That is what people like Desola do not understand, they come here pretending to speak for all Nigerians or people of a particular tribe. Nairaland members isn't even up to 0.5% of Nigeria's population, considering the alternate accounts.

I beg to differ.

While I understand your point that a lot of Ibos and Yorubas live together in peace and even inter-marry but there is a lot of mutual suspicion between both tribes. I am not too sure about the statistics that you have provided but the reality is 3 recent major occurrences have totally changed the equation here: ( This is apart from the historical distortion of the facts of the civil war)

1. The fact that most Ibos supported Patience Jonathan against Wole Soyinka even when they intrinsically knew that he was right in reprimanding her and questioning her excesses - they called him the Old Mad Professor! A man that supported the Biafran cuase during the civil war?

2. The outrageous outburst from Ibos and their leaders during the "deportation" debacle- that was totally unacceptable and stank of hypocrisy considering Ibos had no problems with the "deportation" of Yorubas, Hausas and other ethnic groups from Lagos in the past and the fact that SE states have carried out similar "deportation" exercises.

3.The effrontery by Ibos to refer to Lagos as no mans land is not only insulting but totally disrespectful

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See What The Daughter Of An IPOB'S Member Wore To Church Today / 11 Disturbing Questions On Nnamdi Kanu And His IPOB / Confusion In Aso-rock As Buhari Shock APC Chieftains Over His 2019 Presidential

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.