Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,156 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Where Is Prof Soyinka - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Where Is Prof Soyinka (6745 Views)

Amaechi And Prof Soyinka At The N82Million Dinner Party - Photos / Amaechi Spent N82million To Host Prof Soyinka To A Dinner - Rivers State / Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Gbawe: 7:28pm On Oct 28, 2013
eGuerrilla:

It is unfair to characterise Soyinka as naive.
The man's virtues should not be mistaken for ignorance or weakness.

I agree with you. The only thing Soyinka and 'rare breed' like him are guilty of is the innate richness of soul that makes them aspire to shun the prejudice and character-destroying bias the rest of humanity has no problem using as a daily tool to prosecute life with.

1 Like

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 7:31pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Is this "local champiaon" not more popular than your berret wearing scout boy professor, whose "neice", Chimamda Adichie, rubbished the Nobel Laureate Prize because her uncle could not get it?

Are u saying Soyinka is more popular than Achebe?
lwkmd.
I can confidently say u have not traveled out, Achebrs books are read by students worldwide, Soyinka is a local champion; but that's not what this topic is all abt, chill first
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Gbawe: 7:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:

lwkmd.
I can confidently say u have not traveled out, Achebrs books are read by students worldwide, Soyinka is a local champion; but that's not what this topic is all abt, chill first

Wole Soyinka a "local champion"? Are you not ashamed of yourself? A woman for that matter? I am always gracious to women because you nurture the world but I would not wish you on any man because it is clear bigotry has destroyed your soul. Never mind the 'enmity' that has taken over this forum, the fact is that Nigerians who know what matters would always have respect in their heart for what Achebe and Soyinka have achieved. They are distinguished masters of their craft and only hateful souls will fail to note or celebrate these two very special Nigerians who, ahead of the many looters you all come here to celebrate daily, are part of the greatest gift of Nigeria to the entire universe !!!!

Most African Nations do not have even one individual, in their entire history, they can compare to these two very great men and here we have ugly characters like you constituting yourself into a vile hater of your own fellow citizen you should ordinarily acknowledge and celebrate as some of the greatest men to live exactly as the rest of the world readily does with Soyinka and Achebe. I really pity people like you because there seems to be no limit to your hatred of others. Ask other Africans how they would even love decent understudy 'copies' to Achebe and Soyinka. Yet we have two masters !!! All folks like you can do is satisfy your hateful soul ahead of recognising morality, decency and even self-pride.

4 Likes

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:

lwkmd.
I'm not surpprised, he is your uncle just as he is to Chimamda Adichie and all Igbo people.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by nduchucks: 9:47pm On Oct 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Anumebe, did he also belittle himself when he stood against the Civil War to the extent this was viewed by the FG as tilting in support of Biafra? Indeed WS was right when he said our problem is "recurrent cycle of stupidity."

Ode. The civil war has nothing to do with the shepopotamus thingy.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 10:11pm On Oct 28, 2013
Gbawe:

Wole Soyinka a "local champion"? Are you not ashamed of yourself? A woman for that matter? I am always gracious to women because you nurture the world but I would not wish you on any man because it is clear bigotry has destroyed your soul. Never mind the 'enmity' that has taken over this forum, the fact is that Nigerians who know what matters would always have respect in their heart for what Achebe and Soyinka have achieved. They are distinguished masters of their craft and only hateful souls will fail to note or celebrate these two very special Nigerians who, ahead of the many looters you all come here to celebrate daily, are part of the greatest gift of Nigeria to the entire universe !!!!

Most African Nations do not have even one individual, in their entire history, they can compare to these two very great men and here we have ugly characters like you constituting yourself into a vile hater of your own fellow citizen you should ordinarily acknowledge and celebrate as some of the greatest men to live exactly as the rest of the world readily does with Soyinka and Achebe. I really pity people like you because there seems to be no limit to your hatred of others. Ask other Africans how they would even love decent understudy 'copies' to Achebe and Soyinka. Yet we have two masters !!! All folks like you can do is satisfy your hateful soul ahead of recognising morality, decency and even self-pride.

Tell that to Omobola Johnson who derides the greatChinua Achebe
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Gbawe: 10:39pm On Oct 28, 2013
ngozievergreen:

I do not know or care about Omobola Johnson let alone be aware of her disrespect of chinua Achebe. Relate to others with honesty and integrity always. That is what matters most in life. I can tell you that "an eye for an eye leaves the world blind". Think what you want, perhaps because you are in a tribalistic vacuum, but know that many Yorubas consider Achebe an outstanding Nigerian.

You should , as a woman and the sex responsible for nurturing peace and unity, be about what is right and what heals the world . I am Yoruba yet would never speak bad of Achebe. His personal perspective and outlook will always be his own but he is a Nigerian I am proud of and would be privileged to have my children emulate because I believe in the concept of man being excellent at what he does for a living. Whatever people like you think, the world stands up and acknowledge Achebe and Soyinka as masters of their craft. We are very lucky to have them even as Nigerians seem to want to pit them against each other when we should be filled with pride that Nigeria gave the world these two outstanding literature giants. Achebe, like Soyinka and many others Nigerian literature giants, was very, very special. A Nigerian treasure.

Ethnicity cannot and will never trivialise that.

You people should take your bigotry elsewhere and stop insulting our heroes others would love to own even as 'naturalised citizens'. Your political 'slave masters' are more vile. Focus your bile on them rather than on Nigerians who have brought our Nation honour and pride with their brilliance and talent.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by jaso1(m): 11:33pm On Oct 28, 2013
Envy that terminates Achebe live is the major stigma that people from Eastern part of Nigeria need to work on. Achebe in his grave will be regretting why he failed to sincerely informed his blind followers why one should be contented with what God give to him. Unfortunately he had no chance to correct his mischievous. Igbo people are the major problem of this country from onset; they are very tribal and adamant about it. They always want other tribe to subject to this their mad and selfish character. This is more reason they will never be allow to rule the country again and it is what an average igbo’s failed to accept but nothing can be done about it.
Prof. Wole Soyinka got his novel award before Achebe. Achebe died envy WS for getting the price before him.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 1:31am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Who asked him to sneak into Biafra before?
Chameleons.

And when exactly did he speak for MEND?

See how ungrateful you are. You keep repaying people with evil and then you go around crying that everyone hates you. Learn to at least acknowledge the good things people have done!
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 1:43am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Who asked him to sneak into Biafra before?
Chameleons.

And when exactly did he speak for MEND?

This broke my heart. cry cry cry cry
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Samxiulee: 1:45am On Oct 29, 2013
JMOI: Forget that old tribalist.
nothing wrong with being a tribalist.....bigot
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 2:24am On Oct 29, 2013
ndu_chucks:

Ode. The civil war has nothing to do with the shepopotamus thingy.
Uzu, you sound like Shepopotamus herself.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 2:28am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

You make me laugh; I'm now Omobolaji Johnson, the ICT Minister? I'm not surprised. Every person that speaks of the bad things Igbo people do will called a particular Yoruba person. Italiano has often been called FFK.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by queenmeenat(f): 2:29am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

lwkmd.

Nobel lauret is d WORLD CUP literature, if its as easy as dat and don't 4get dat Dele Olojede jst won dis years LNG award for literature. U can hate as u like bt its our natural endowment. Thanks
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by cKaiser: 2:32am On Oct 29, 2013
Only an ignoramus would compare Soyinka a Nobel laureate to Achebe
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 2:51am On Oct 29, 2013
The truth is that Soyinka won the Nobel,a major feat but sadly it didn't win him the world wide acclaim that Chinua had.

read this, written by an American writer at the death of Achebe
That about summarizes it.
truth be told.
sad to read sha but it is what it is,the Nobel did not bring him fame.
a virtual unknown in the USA meanwhile Achebe's book things fall apart is known worldwide and is a required text here in the USA
read below
not my words
the part I highlighted in red must be painful for Soyinka to read.

Some Final Thoughts:

Achebe has a strange position in the canon: he's simultaneously the best-known English-language writer from the African continent, but that knowledge tends to start and stop at a single novel. There's no doubt that Things Fall Apart was a milestone work, but celebration of that milestone has, curiously, dulled interest in his other works.

Though Achebe stopped writing novels after 1987, the range of his work is daunting: short stories, poetry, essays, plays, memoirs, ... even children's books. One good place to start is his collection of essays Hopes and Impediments (1988), an extended meditation on the relationship between Africa and its former colonizers, the lingering heritage of that colonization on history and culture, and the ways in which we might be able to move ahead. Achebe's famous Conrad essay is here, as is an essay on the American writer James Baldwin, who he admired and considered a friend. Achebe's Baldwin essay is especially good, a plea that, though the universe and our fellow species may give us constant reason for pessimism, we cannot give in to despair.

[size=18pt]From there, Achebe can - and should - lead us to other writers. First among them is his friend and fellow Nigerian author Wole Soyinka, a virtual unknown in this country despite having received the Nobel Prize for literature[/size]. In some respects this may be an inevitability of genre - Soyinka's focus has been more on poetry and theatre than prose, and neither makes one a household name in 21st century America - but he's highly worth the effort of seeking out (See Soyinka's statement on Achebe's passing.) If you're willing to stick with poetry, the work of the tragically short-lived Christopher Okigbo is also a must-read.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-Chinua-Achebe#

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 2:59am On Oct 29, 2013
babyosisi: The truth is that Soyinka won the Nobel,a major feat but sadly it didn't win him the world wide acclaim that Chinua had.

truth be told.
a virtual unknown in the USA meanwhile Achebe's book things fall apart is known worldwide and is a required text here in the USA
read below
not my words

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-Chinua-Achebe#

It is normal for people to sing exaggerated eulogies on one's passing.
Wait till it's WS time and you'd be surprised how people will sing his acclaim.
Between you make it seem like the award is not organized by these same western nations. Going by Wole's record of receiving honorary degrees from several universities and lecturing in diff schools in that same USA then...

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 6:50am On Oct 29, 2013
queenmeenat:

Nobel lauret is d WORLD CUP literature, if its as easy as dat and don't 4get dat Dele Olojede jst won dis years LNG award for literature. U can hate as u like bt its our natural endowment. Thanks
An Igbo won the 2012 edition.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 7:13am On Oct 29, 2013
9jacrip:

When it is his time, it will be how it will be;
He won the Nobel prize, who the hell is disputing that, but at the end of the day, Whenever African Literature comes up in a discussion its Achebe and not Soyinka.
Soyinka is not popular aside yorubaland.
@ Gbawe, u said u didn't care when Ola was deriding Achebe, but u do care to hear that Soyinka is a local champion? I can see
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 7:15am On Oct 29, 2013
cKaiser: Only an ignoramus would compare Soyinka a Nobel laureate to Achebe

dat means all non-yorubas are ignoramuses.
OK o
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 7:38am On Oct 29, 2013
tatiana009:

See how ungrateful you are. You keep repaying people with evil and then you go around crying that everyone hates you. Learn to at least acknowledge the good things people have done!

Go and sit down, yorubas are chameleons and can never be trusted.

That's how Awolowo, after Ojukwu helped him get out of prison, supported Ojukwu's biafran ambition, only to go and join hands with the northerners because he was promised the presidential slot.
Even though Achebe took him as his friend and was happy for him when he won the Nobel, Achebe later died but what did Soyinka do?
-He started saying that Achebe is wrongly labelled the Father of Modern African Lit (I thought the Nobel prize was the best award? )
- He started insulting African Writers Series -of which Achebe headed, all because he,soyinka didn't qualify to join them.
- He didn't even attend the guy's burial.
And u are here telling me abt sneaking into Biafra.
Who knew what he was up to?
Presently, what is his stand with biafrans?

Ppl that speak from the sides of their mouths shd not be trusted.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by WildChild00(m): 9:08am On Oct 29, 2013
He is under house arrest, in case you don't know....
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by veraponpo(m): 9:19am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

That's how Awolowo, after Ojukwu helped him get out of prison, supported Ojukwu's biafran ambition, only to go and join hands with the northerners because he was promised the presidential slot.
Even though Achebe took him as his friend and was happy for him when he won the Nobel, Achebe later died but what did Soyinka do?
-He started saying that Achebe is wrongly labelled the Father of Modern African Lit (I thought the Nobel prize was the best award? )
- He started insulting African Writers Series -of which Achebe headed, all because he,soyinka didn't qualify to join them.

You are a small girl and couldnt have been as wise as Prof Wole Soyinka hence your opinion does not count in his life. I only pray you will achieve a quarter of his success in your life time. But i can say you lack knowledge for saying Ojukwu (a regional head) helped Awolowo ( who was being imprisoned by Federal goverment) out of prison. Pls go and read about Nigeria law and constitution. You can read about hierachy of courts too.
Until the Igbo people learn how to appreciate others and know that no race or tribe is better than another but we have individual strengths in all the tribes that they will be free from the shackles of tribal bigotry.

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 29, 2013
babyosisi: The truth is that Soyinka won the Nobel,a major feat but sadly it didn't win him the world wide acclaim that Chinua had.

truth be told.
read below
not my words

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2013/03/22/1196200/-RIP-
Chinua-Achebe#
Not to put water on your jive but what do Americans know outside their own little states? Ask one to show you where Nigeria is on the map, they would most likely point to the Sahara desert. And besides Achebe stayed and worked in US for a longtime it is only fair that they would know him better
than Soyinka. And like the fact that your quoted writer of the statement clearly said "an unknown in this country (US)" and last time I check US is not the world.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Gbawe: 10:04am On Oct 29, 2013
BluIvy:
Not to put water on your jive but what do Americans know outside their own little states? Ask one to show you where Nigeria is on the map, they would most likely point to the Sahara desert. And besides Achebe stayed and worked in US for a longtime it is only fair that they would know him better
than Soyinka. And like the fact that your quoted writer of the statement clearly said "an unknown in this country (US)" and last time I check US is not the world.

Don't mind some of these bigoted clowns. They even use words like "world wide acclaim" to garnish their prejudice. As if our fellow African Countries produce Nobel laureate daily and by the dozen for these odious element to now attempt this ignorant and intellectually crass effort to belittle Soyinka.

Anyway, I blame lack of exposure for some of the crap some utter here. Folks should travel Africa to note how some non-Nigerians are proud of Soyinka while it is his 'own' who pull him down the most. Let the man stay in his corner abeg. There is only so much insult a decent soul can tolerate from Nigerians who, in my opinion, happen to be some of the biggest ingrates on earth !!!! Soyinka, Falana and others should stop turning out for Nigeria. What have they ever gotten in return for their efforts anyway? I hope Uncle Wole keeps to his 'hands-off' pledge. Staying away is perhaps the only way to making ingrates appreciate the worth of very special people who , year in year out, do things the rest of do not have the braveness or uprightness to face. Kongi go and rest and leave god-forsaken Nigeria to her fate.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by UyiIredia(m): 10:30am On Oct 29, 2013
cKaiser: Only an ignoramus would compare Soyinka a Nobel laureate to Achebe

Just because Soyinka is a Nobel laureate doesn't mean Achebe isn't comparable or as good.

2 Likes

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Ajibel(m): 10:46am On Oct 29, 2013
Goodness me. We have so many tribalistic fucktards ranting on here. I've always wondered what's the essence of comparing CA & WS. What gladdens my heart is that the stup1d1ty of the tribalistic lots here doesnt reflect the pythonic opinions of most Nigerians who respect the 2 for what they've achieved. Achievements most of you here wouldnt live to attain is what y'all are rubbishing. I pity you sick fucktards. The Hausas are better than most of you NL Igbo & Yoruba bigots
*spits* angry
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Ajibel(m): 10:51am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen: Soyinka is a local champion

Nne, the world would be ashamed of the venom coming from you. Who the hell are you angry
Even Chimamanda that i admire wouldnt dare spit this garb. So shameful. I wonder what sort of leader people who think like you 'll become. sad sad
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 11:38am On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

Shut up! Ojukwu did not release Awolowo; Gowon did.
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 12:08pm On Oct 29, 2013
ngozievergreen:

When it is his time, it will be how it will be;
He won the Nobel prize, who the hell is disputing that, but at the end of the day, [b]Whenever African Literature comes up in a discussion its Achebe and not Soyinka[\b]
Soyinka is not popular aside yorubaland.
@ Gbawe, u said u didn't care when Ola was deriding Achebe, but u do care to hear that Soyinka is a local champion? I can see

At the bolded: you're so funny I yell ya. Where is Achebe coming up? Whenever a field comes up, it is those who have won reputable awards or acclaims that come up first! It is like saying because Wande Coal is good, his name comes up before Dbanj? LOL!. Between WS' name is not only relegated to WAfrican literature, it is written in the sands of time as the first African and Nigerian to win the most coveted award for writers. smiley
Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 29, 2013
9jacrip:

Between you make it seem like the award is not organized by these same western nations. Going by Wole's record of receiving honorary degrees from several universities and lecturing in diff schools in that same USA then...

Americans don't behave like Nigerians
They will call an evil man an evil man even in death and all his sins will be brought out
I saw that first hand when president Nixon died,nobody spared him
They are blunt like that
He wouldn't call Soyinka a virtual unknown if he wasn't
What will be his gain in that?
He would have just praised Achebe but he didn't
He took time to mention other Nigerian authors that may be of interest and Wole was one
You can see in his tone that he described Wole whom I guessed he expected to be known but wasn't and took time to introduce him
That statement was hurtful even to me as a Nigerian non Yoruba but it is what it is
Doesn't take away from his Nobel but the Nobel didn't make him a household name
Achebe and his things fall apart became a household name
That is the summary of that

1 Like

Re: Where Is Prof Soyinka by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 29, 2013
BluIvy:

Aren't we saying the same thing?
A virtual unknown in the USA despite his Nobel
What is your beef then?
People all over the world who desire fame want to be known in America so if America doesn't know you,the world doesn't know you
That is just the gospel truth

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Hands Are Off The Biafran Struggle. / FG Says School Feeding Programme Remains A Priority / The New Enugu International Airport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.