Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,738 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist (31297 Views)

CAF Announces African Player Of The Year Shortlist…see Who Made It / Who In Your Opinion Would Most Likely Win The 2011 Fifa World Player Of The Year / Bbc African Footballer Of The Year Shortlist Revealed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 7:18pm On Oct 30, 2013
omar22:

Alex Song!!!! (BARCELONA)
Thanks for noting dat.But cant be compared to moses or mikel.
Alex song hardly played at all 4 barca.Nothing notable about his national team performance cos cameroon didnt play much games.
But Moses made 42 appearances 4 chelsea,Scored 10goals.Was arguably chelsea's best player with torres in d europa league they won.
Won d afcon and was one of nigeria's best players.
Mikel made 32 appearances in all competitions for chelsea.
Played in d afcon and won it,played in d confeds cup and was fantastic.
Mikel and Moses are Incomparable with A.Song.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 7:28pm On Oct 30, 2013
It has been confirmed Iheanacho would be fit for uruguay and success might return in d semis.Nothing stopping us 4rm reachind d finals now,surely.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 7:48pm On Oct 30, 2013
omar22:

Oh please!!!! I cant remember Drogba or Ivory coast winning the AFCON and he has won it how many times now?
But at least drogba won trophies with his club the years he won d award.
Name a player in d past 10yrs aside adebayor(2008) dat won d award without winning a trophy.
Nobody !.And like i said african players in European BIG clubs didnt win trophie that year adebayor won it.
These are d list of d african player of d year winners in d past 10yrs excluding 2008.
2003-Etoo-Won d Copa del Rey
2004-Etoo-Won d La Liga and some other trophies
2005-Etoo-Won d La Liga and some other trophies
2006-Drogba-Won the EPL and the FA Cup
2007-Kanoute-Won the UEFA cup
2009-Drogba-Won the FA Cup
2010-Etoo-Won d champions league,the Serie A and anoda trophy
2011-Yaya toure-Won d FA Cup
2012-Yaya toure-Won d EPL.

Trophies matters.Yaya toure didnt win any trophy at all this year.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by akpos4uall(m): 9:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
Diego Simeone deserves a place on the World Coach of the Year shortlist over Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho http://talksport.com/football/diego-simeone-deserves-place-world-coach-year-shortlist-over-wenger-and-mourinho
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 10:42pm On Oct 30, 2013
naija noni:
Thanks for noting dat.But cant be compared to moses or mikel.
Alex song hardly played at all 4 barca.Nothing notable about his national team performance cos cameroon didnt play much games.
But Moses made 42 appearances 4 chelsea,Scored 10goals.Was arguably chelsea's best player with torres in d europa league they won.
Won d afcon and was one of nigeria's best players.
Mikel made 32 appearances in all competitions for chelsea.
Played in d afcon and won it,played in d confeds cup and was fantastic.
Mikel and Moses are Incomparable with A.Song.

Alex Song made 34 appearance for Barcelona that won La Liga
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 10:50pm On Oct 30, 2013
naija noni:
Name a player in d past 10yrs aside adebayor(2008) dat won d award without winning a trophy they gave the award to the runner up
Nobody !.And like i said african players in European BIG clubs didnt win trophie that year adebayor won it.
These are d list of d african player of d year winners in d past 10yrs excluding 2008.

Drogba won the award either the year they gave it to Kanute or Adebayo because he didnt turn up at the award
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 11:01pm On Oct 30, 2013
naija noni:
Mikel has been sitting on d bench ??.
U said mikel sat on d bench after afcon.Then how did he make 15 appearances in all competitions for chelsea after afcon??.Check his stats.Nobody played every game for chelsea last season including mata and hazard.
Benitez was always rotating d players.And mikel like every other chelsea player was rotated.Saying he sat on d bench after afcon is a foolish exaggeration.Making 15 appearances in all comps in less than half a season is sitting on d bench to u??.
He has made 9 appearances dis season starting 4.How is dat sitting on d bench ??.
Alex song hardly played at all 4 barca.

Tell me how many games Mikel started? Knowing that the manager game Lampard all the opportunity to break the club goal scoring record
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 5:36am On Oct 31, 2013
omar22:

Tell me how many games Mikel started? Knowing that the manager game Lampard all the opportunity to break the club goal scoring record
Boy im sure u didnt watch chelsea last season.I am a chelsea fan and i watched all chelsea's games last season.
The first choice combination in d chelsea midfield for important games was Mikel-Ramires.
Lampard and luiz were only rotating with the two of them.
If u kept up with d news u would have heard of the british media criticizing benitez for benching english players Terry,Cahill and Lampard.Benitez only gave lampard a chance to break his record at d very ending of d season(the last 3games) due to pressure from d british media and fans.
You can go to d chelsea website to check mikel's stats.
Despite being out for about more than a month during afcon,injured in march/april for 4 weeks(more than 10 league games were played during these periods).Mikel still started 20 league games for chelsea,came on only 3 times from d bench.In all he made a total of 23 appearances out of a possible 38 in d league.
He started a total of 12 games in non-league matches(FA Cup,Capital 1 cup,champions league) and came on only 2 times 4rm d bench.So in all competitions,he started a total of 32 matches and came on from d bench 6 times.In total 38 appearances in all competitions.Remember he missed a total of more than 10 league games when he was out 4 more dan a month during afcon and when he was injured in march/april for 4weeks.And remember benitez's rotation policy.Hardly any player including mata and hazard started 3 games in a row.Every player was rotated.
I dont know how that means sitting on d bench to u.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 5:55am On Oct 31, 2013
omar22:

Drogba won the award either the year they gave it to Kanute or Adebayo because he didnt turn up at the award
Hahahahaha.I heard dat too, but i didnt believe it.It was d year adebayor won it(2008).They said it was drogba that was meant to win it.This further justifies the fact dat nobody in d past 10yrs has won d african player of d year award without winning any trophy.Becos,I Just checked wikipedia,drogba won the FA cup both d years Kanoute and adebayor won d african player of d year awards(2007 and 2008).
So ,no player won d african player of d year award in d last 10yrs,even in d past 15yrs(i'll try to confirm that) without winning a trophy.
Yaya toure didnt win even a tea cup this year.

1 Like

Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 6:27am On Oct 31, 2013
omar22:

Thats a lie.Song made 20 appearances in all competitions.He started only 17games out of the 20...Link for his stats:-http://ng.soccerway.com/players/alexandre-song-billong/2962/
How can that be compared to mikel dat made 38 appearances in all competitions,starting 32 matches ??.
Or moses that made 42 appearances in all competitions,starting 31 and scoring 10 goals ??.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 6:31am On Oct 31, 2013
omar22:

And also mikel and moses won AFRICA'S BIGGEST TROPHY with nigeria to add to d one they won with chelsea,mikel played in d confeds cup.
Song only won with his club.
What can u say about Song and cameroon ??.
Foolish to compare.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 6:47am On Oct 31, 2013
@Omar22 even moses stands a chance too.
Won d AFCON-Was one of the best players in d tournament.
Won the Europa League-Was arguably chelsea's best player in d tournament if not torres.He scored d winner in all chelsea's matches right 4rm d quarter-finals.He missed d finals due to injury.
Made 42 appearances for chelsea,Scored 10 goals.
Has been great since his moved to liverpool.Has been a regular starter.
National team performance far better than yaya toure's.
How about that ??
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 7:31am On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni:
Boy im sure u didnt watch chelsea last season.I am a chelsea fan and i watched all chelsea's games last season.
The first choice combination in d chelsea midfield for important games was Mikel-Ramires.
Lampard and luiz were only rotating with the two of them.
If u kept up with d news u would have heard of the british media criticizing benitez for benching english players Terry,Cahill and Lampard.Benitez only gave lampard a chance to break his record at d very ending of d season(the last 3games) due to pressure from d british media and fans.
You can go to d chelsea website to check mikel's stats.
Despite being out for about more than a month during afcon,injured in march/april for 4 weeks(more than 10 league games were played during these periods).Mikel still started 20 league games for chelsea,came on only 3 times from d bench.In all he made a total of 23 appearances out of a possible 38 in d league.
He started a total of 12 games in non-league matches(FA Cup,Capital 1 cup,champions league) and came on only 2 times 4rm d bench.So in all competitions,he started a total of 32 matches and came on from d bench 6 times.In total 38 appearances in all competitions.Remember he missed a total of more than 10 league games when he was out 4 more dan a month during afcon and when he was injured in march/april for 4weeks.And remember benitez's rotation policy.Hardly any player including mata and hazard started 3 games in a row.Every player was rotated.
I dont know how that means sitting on d bench to u.

Bro I have been a Chelsea fan since 1995, am not a glory hunter, My colleague who is a season ticket holder works weekend sell me his seat in the Matthew Harding stand! you don't know how the fans feel about Mikel. Back to your stats, tell me how many games did mikel start from Jan 2013 to date! knowing that Chelsea went out in the champions league in Dec 2012, went out of the League cup when Mikel was away in South Africa. Mikel appeared 3 or 4 times in the Europa cup and Chelsea played around 70 games last season Mikel only 38 time and how many did he start?
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 7:33am On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni: @Omar22 even moses stands a chance too.
Won d AFCON-Was one of the best players in d tournament.
Won the Europa League-Was arguably chelsea's best player in d tournament if not torres.He scored d winner in all chelsea's matches right 4rm d quarter-finals.He missed d finals due to injury.
Made 42 appearances for chelsea,Scored 10 goals.
Has been great since his moved to liverpool.Has been a regular starter.
National team performance far better than yaya toure's.
How about that ??

Now if your saying Moses vs Yaya Toure for the footballer of the year, you have a great case but not Mikel
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by emmasege: 9:07am On Oct 31, 2013
Was Eto'o better than Okocha in 2004 when the former won Africa's best?. Okocha far outplayed him and was better than Eto'o as at 2004 when Eto'o had not yet peaked. But at the end of the day, it went the way of the Camerounian.
Nobody is saying that Mikel is better than Yaya, but putting all the criteria into consideration, Mikel deserves to be crowned as Africa's best in the outgoing year. His personal contribution to the national squad at AFCON (Africa's biggest soccer fiesta) was far above that of Yaya. He gave a good account of himself at the CONFEDERATIONS cup (where Yaya was absent) and won laurel (EUROPA) at club level. Besides these, he's a key player in the national team and also in his club.

omar22:

What makes you think Mikel is a better than Yaya Toure?
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by Adexbaba99: 9:13am On Oct 31, 2013
Just seeing many funny comments....Yaya is far better than mikel...stop hyping him!
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by emmasege: 9:13am On Oct 31, 2013
And it was on this basis that Etoo won it in 2004 not because he was better player than Jay Jay in the year under review at least going by nations' cup performance. So, why wouldn't mikel this year?. Pls stop drumming support for Yaya. Let's support our own, or are there Ivorians in Nairaland?
naija noni:
Name a player in d past 10yrs aside adebayor(2008) dat won d award without winning a trophy.

Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 10:58am On Oct 31, 2013
Adexbaba99: Just seeing many funny comments....Yaya is far better than mikel...stop hyping him!
Did anybody say Mikel is better than yaya toure ??.
African player of d year award is given based on both performance and achievements by players IN A PARTICULAR YEAR.Not on who is naturally d best or better player.
Is Ribery better than Messi or Ronaldo ??.No !.Then Why was he given the UEFA best player award ahead of both even when individually messi and ronaldo did better ??.
Ans=Becos Ribery achieved far more than messi and ronaldo last season.
Were d likes of Diouf,Etoo, individually better than Okocha ??.No.
Then why did okocha never win d african player of the year award while dis players won it??.
Becos his achievements were never up to etoo or diouf.etoo and diouf won trophies with big clubs,but okocha didnt.
Is Mikel better than yaya toure ??.No.
Then why does mikel deserve d award ahead of yaya dis year ??.
Becos mikel achieved far more than yaya this year for both club and country,but yaya achieved nothing !!.

1 Like

Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 11:17am On Oct 31, 2013
emmasege: And it was on this basis that Etoo won it in 2004 not because he was better player than Jay Jay in the year under review at least going by nations' cup performance. So, why wouldn't mikel this year?. Pls stop drumming support for Yaya. Let's support our own, or are there Ivorians in Nairaland?
Thank u my brother,u said it all.
In 2004 Okocha clearly did far better than etoo.
At d nations cup Okocha was voted the most valuable player and highest goal scorer.At club level,Okocha was on fire for bolton.Scored so many screamers.Entertained d EPL with some amazing unbelievable skills.
That was d year d british fans started calling him "Too good they named him twice".And bolton didnt do too bad that season,i think they finished in d top 7.Was one of bolton's best in many years.He won d BBC african player of d year that year.
Meanwhile etoo was just begining to adapt to barcelona,he did okay but not up to okocha.But he won d La Liga tittle and some other trophies while Okocha won nothing.
Hence he was given d award ahead of Okocha.
Yaya won nothing dis year.And like i said no player in d past 15 yrs won d award without winning any trophy aside adebayor in 2008 like Omar22 said,d award was meant 4 drogba who won d FA Cup dat year,but he just didnt show up,so d award was given 2 d runner-up adebayor.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by babyboy3(m): 11:22am On Oct 31, 2013
emmasege: Was Eto'o better than Okocha in 2004 when the former won Africa's best?. Okocha far outplayed him and was better than Eto'o as at 2004 when Eto'o had not yet peaked. But at the end of the day, it went the way of the Camerounian.
Nobody is saying that Mikel is better than Yaya, but putting all the criteria into consideration, Mikel deserves to be crowned as Africa's best in the outgoing year. His personal contribution to the national squad at AFCON (Africa's biggest soccer fiesta) was far above that of Yaya. He gave a good account of himself at the CONFEDERATIONS cup (where Yaya was absent) and won laurel (EUROPA) at club level. Besides these, he's a key player in the national team and also in his club.

In 2004 Eto was Barcelona player, Okocha was a Bolton Wanderer player in the EPL, even lost the league cup final to Middlesboro. The Confederation Cup Nigeria won one game against the worst team, look forgive me but I dont celebrate Average or mediocre performance. Yaya Toure has been a monster since January to Date. So because Yaya Toure was absent from a tournament automatically disqualifies him from an award. Just like messi was present at Euro 2012
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by babyboy3(m): 11:24am On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni:
Thank u my brother,u said it all.
In 2004 Okocha clearly did far better than etoo.
At d nations cup Okocha was voted the most valuable player and highest goal scorer.At club level,Okocha was on fire for bolton.Scored so many screamers.Entertained d EPL with some amazing unbelievable skills.
That was d year d british fans started calling him "Too good they named him twice".And bolton didnt do too bad that season,i think they finished in d top 7.Was one of bolton's best in many years.He won d BBC african player of d year that year.
Meanwhile etoo was just begining to adapt to barcelona,he did okay but not up to okocha.But he won d La Liga tittle and some other trophies while Okocha won nothing.
Hence he was given d award ahead of Okocha.
Yaya won nothing dis year.And like i said no player in d past 15 yrs won d award without winning any trophy aside adebayor in 2008 like Omar22 said,d award was meant 4 drogba who won d FA Cup dat year,but he just didnt show up,so d award was given 2 d runner-up adebayor.

Drogba won nothing in 2008
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by babyboy3(m): 11:39am On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni:

Were d likes of Diouf,Etoo, individually better than Okocha ??.No.
!!.

Did you watch Did you watch Diouf at the WC in 2002 and the nations cup in Mali where Nigeria was so rubbish

Some people need to be objective and deal with facts and not assumption the footballer of the year award is for a year not a Tournament. Diego Forlan won the most valuable player at the 2010 WC. but Messi won the FIFA Footballer of the year.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by Holadokun(m): 11:47am On Oct 31, 2013
Super Eagle Coach... Samson Siasia should be on the coach list... and Arsene should nt
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by akpos4uall(m): 12:07pm On Oct 31, 2013
Holadokun: Super Eagle Coach... Samson Siasia should be on the coach list... and Arsene should nt
Here is a better choice.

akpos4uall: Diego Simeone deserves a place on the World Coach of the Year shortlist over Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho http://talksport.com/football/diego-simeone-deserves-place-world-coach-year-shortlist-over-wenger-and-mourinho
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 1:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
baby-boy:

Drogba won nothing in 2008
He won the FA Cup !!.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by naijanoni(m): 1:17pm On Oct 31, 2013
baby-boy:

In 2004 Eto was Barcelona player, Okocha was a Bolton Wanderer player in the EPL, even lost the league cup final to Middlesboro. The Confederation Cup Nigeria won one game against the worst team, look forgive me but I dont celebrate Average or mediocre performance. Yaya Toure has been a monster since January to Date. So because Yaya Toure was absent from a tournament automatically disqualifies him from an award. Just like messi was present at Euro 2012
Etoo was a barcelona player,but was his performance for club and country better than Okocha's that year ??.No !!.
Okocha was the voted the best player in d nations cup.Nigeria even did better than Cameroon.We eliminated etoo's cameroon in d quarter-finals.
Etoo won a trophy with a big club,Okocha didnt.Thats why Etoo was given simple !!
Bolton wasnt a buttom table club then.Their position in d EPL then is the position the likes of Everton,tottenham occupies recently.Its just in recent years they've fallen.Loosing in the league cup finals doesnt mean they were poor.They even did well to get to d finals ahead of other big clubs.
Okocha's individual performance was better than Etoo's that year.
But etoo won a trophy with a big club.And also remember etoo hadnt really established himself with barca then.
Also Yaya wasnt a beast 4rm January.Thats an exaggeration.He didnt really do well last season.And many people say last season was one of his worst seasons.Its just this season that he has been fantastic,and i think many people are being deceived by that.Take away this season's performance and judge his performance from january to july alone,he didnt do as great as u think.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by babyboy3(m): 1:59pm On Oct 31, 2013
Actually the 2003 / 04 season Eto was at a small club (Captained) Real Majorca leading them to Copa del Rey final and won it, summer of 2004 he joined Barcelona and he was Barca's main striker, his last season for Majorca in 04 he scored 21 goals.
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by babyboy3(m): 2:00pm On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni:
He won the FA Cup !!.

Chelsea won Nothing in 2008 under Avram Grant
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 31, 2013
If Mikel/Moses were so exceptional in AFCON why did Petriopa pip them to the MVP award?

The greatest disservice to African football is to crown a Chelsea bench-warmer African Best.
If its based on who won AFCON then Emenike deserve it. Silly

Crown Jonathan Petriopa African King 2013
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by Nobody: 2:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
Coach of the year: Jupp Hyknes

Player of the Year: Leo Messi

African Best: Jonathan Petropia
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by omar22(m): 4:16pm On Oct 31, 2013
barcanista: If Mikel/Moses were so exceptional in AFCON why did Petriopa pip them to the MVP award?

The greatest disservice to African football is to crown a Chelsea bench-warmer African Best.
If its based on who won AFCON then Emenike deserve it. Silly

Crown Jonathan Petriopa African King 2013

You couldnt put it any better!!!
Re: FIFA's World Player Of The Year Shortlist by striker9(m): 4:37pm On Oct 31, 2013
naija noni:
Mikel has been sitting on d bench ??.
U said mikel sat on d bench after afcon.Then how did he make 15 appearances in all competitions for chelsea after afcon??.Check his stats.Nobody played every game for chelsea last season including mata and hazard.
Benitez was always rotating d players.And mikel like every other chelsea player was rotated.Saying he sat on d bench after afcon is a foolish exaggeration.Making 15 appearances in all comps in less than half a season is sitting on d bench to u??.
He has made 9 appearances dis season starting 4.How is dat sitting on d bench ??.
Alex song hardly played at all 4 barca.
God bless you bro,Alex song has been a joke ever since he joined barca.He is nowhere Mikel at both national and club side.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Ronaldo Reaches 400 Million Followers On Instagram, The First Ever / Real Madrid Celebrates Back Home With Champion League Trophy, Huge Crowd(Photos) / New Arsenal Adidas Kits For 2019/20 Season "Leaked" (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.