Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,525 members, 7,819,893 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:29 AM

Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] (1705 Views)

If Jesus Is God, How Can He, As God, Die? / Is Jesus Christ Same As God Almighty?? / Do Christians Consider The Bible As A Historical Book? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 2:07pm On Jul 09, 2008
I came to understand dat most people who profess to be christians, do not believe the Bible as the Word of God. Pls house, can anyone help?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 9:26am On Jul 24, 2008
Christians follows the Bible just as Moslem follows Koran, but nowadays, most Christians follows what their pastors undecided says and not what the Bible says.

who agree with me? undecided
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Femi13: 3:10pm On Jul 24, 2008
I agreed with you . God's book suppose to be free from contradiction, but the bible is full of contradictions.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 4:48pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Femi 1
Can u provide one Bible portioni that u feel, contradict each other?

anywhere, thanx 4 contributing. but i'm waiting for ur answers anytime.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by IDINRETE: 5:29pm On Jul 24, 2008
femi where are you?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by huxley(m): 5:34pm On Jul 24, 2008
Udyro:

@Femi 1

anywhere, thanx 4 contributing. but i'm waiting for your answers anytime.

If you have been reading your bible and not come across myriads of contradiction, then we can draw two conclusions from that;

1) Your coverage is rather limited
2) You have problems of comprehension
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by PastorAIO: 7:09pm On Jul 24, 2008
@Huxley. I saw that you'd made a contribution to this thread and I opened it up hurriedly expecting to see a litany of contradictions.

What happened? Are you tired today?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 8:56am On Jul 25, 2008
Thank you Pastor AIO

@huxley:
Can u produce one out of your myriads of contradictory bible pasage u come across?
you will realise how wrong u are and how limited ur knowldge of the Bible is.

i am waiting for ur reply.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Imalee: 3:23pm On Jul 25, 2008
udyro. the bible is the written word of God. if some christians dont believe it, it is unfortunate. it is eaither their pastors have been too busy preaching and promoting themselves instead of teaching this people the truth. such chriastians should seek personal relationships with god and they will discover immense truth in the bible. it is the written word of God and the more you study it, the more it becomes real to you. chao!
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by ifyalways(f): 3:30pm On Jul 25, 2008
Yes I do believe,strongly that the Bible is the Word of God.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by GODLOVES1: 10:45pm On Jul 28, 2008
I also believe that the Bible is the word of God. And To would Like to hear some of Huxley's contradictions, if he has any?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by huxley(m): 10:53pm On Jul 28, 2008
Give me a moment, let me just google bible contradictions.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by huxley(m): 10:55pm On Jul 28, 2008
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by samba123(m): 9:28am On Jul 29, 2008
try this thread talk about lots of contradiction in the Bibles

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112751.0.html
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 2:32pm On Sep 03, 2008
It is only non-christian that will deem it fit to see contradictions in the Bible. this thread was meant for christians who depends on their 'pastor's sayings' and not on 'what God's Word (the Bible) really says.

Moreover, if any non-christians wnt to use this avenue to insult God Almighty, he/she shld not forget that God is Spirit. and that it is better for u to talk down on ur fellow humans, as one will be forgiven than on the Creator of the Universe, becos there is no forgiveness. moreso, vengeance is mine say the the Lord God.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by naomijt(f): 2:39pm On Sep 03, 2008
Udyro:

Christians follows the Bible just as Moslem follows Koran, but nowadays, most Christians follows what their pastors undecided says and not what the Bible says.

who agree with me? undecided

I concur jare. They worship their pastors thinking they are worshipping God.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by madamkoko: 2:43pm On Sep 03, 2008
@ poster : the bible as "god's word" ? NO.

The bible was written by man. its a carefully edited and narrated storybook.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by MissyB1(m): 2:56pm On Sep 03, 2008
Any "Christian" that doesn't digg the bible is no christian.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Tasma: 4:46pm On Sep 03, 2008
Udyro:

@Femi 1
anywhere, thanx 4 contributing. but i'm waiting for your answers anytime.

Udyro:

It is only non-christian that will deem it fit to see contradictions in the Bible. this thread was meant for christians who depends on their 'pastor's sayings' and not on 'what God's Word (the Bible) really says.

Moreover, if any non-christians wnt to use this avenue to insult God Almighty, he/she shld not forget that God is Spirit. and that it is better for u to talk down on your fellow humans, as one will be forgiven than on the Creator of the Universe, because there is no forgiveness. moreso, vengeance is mine say the the Lord God.

This is probably the most comical trail of posts i've read in a while. First you ask if any contradictions in the bible can be posted, when you then get a whole list of contradictions you conclude that the persons seeing this contradictions can only be blasphemous non Christians. Why bother to ask this questions if you already have a preconceived unshakable beliefs?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 5:50pm On Sep 03, 2008
madamkoko:

@ poster : the bible as "god's word" ? NO.

The bible was written by man. its a carefully edited and narrated storybook.
hmm, it is true that men wrote it BUT through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit from God. pls confirm dis in IITim.3:16-17 and IIPeter 1:20-21.
If it is carefully edited and narrated storybook as you said, how come
1. it is more than 2,500 years old and still valuable and accessible
2. its contents is still applicable and practical for our everyday life
3. its the most widely distributed book!
4. its has no edition - as in, edition 1, 2 and so on.
5. its author is God and not to any human. for all its title is 'Holy Bible' or 'Holy Scriptures' ?
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 5:58pm On Sep 03, 2008
Tasma:

This is probably the most comical trail of posts i've read in a while. First you ask if any contradictions in the bible can be posted, when you then get a whole list of contradictions you conclude that the persons seeing this contradictions can only be blasphemous non Christians. Why bother to ask this questions if you already have a preconceived unshakable beliefs?
Tasma, the so called contracdictions quoted above are not contracdictions at all but blasphemous. its like one saying
that 'Hanah in the bible was a barren woman, how come dat when she prayed to God dat she become pregnant. and they concluded that God must have pregnated her. meaning God marry just like humans', they even said He marries about three women - sarah, Hanah and Mary the mother of Jesus.
now, can u call this contradiction or blasphemy against the Holy God?

judge for urself whether it is really contradication or gudgible thoughts from non-christians.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 6:00pm On Sep 03, 2008
@naomijt

thank you
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by JeSoul(f): 6:03pm On Sep 03, 2008
Udyro,
  let me save you some trouble. 99% of the atheists on Nairaland are irrational, dishonest and have an unhealthy obession against God and a personal agenda to discredit the bible - don't waste your time trying to "discuss" with them.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Bastage: 7:02pm On Sep 03, 2008
There is a big difference between reading the Bible as the Word of God and taking everything within it's pages literally.

One has to realise that there are many, many things that cannot be taken literally and that these things need examining. For example, it is a book of politics and a book of history and one must always take those things in context.

I give you an example: In Leviticus, God forbids the eating of many food-stuffs. The vast majority of these are things that are poisonous when left unrefridgerated - ie: Pork, shellfish, etc. For the early Hebrews, who were a nomadic desert tribe, the last thing they needed on the eve of a battle was a dose of food poisoning so it made sense to steer well clear of them. As an army that needed to conquer territory and cities, it simply could not take the chance so it was therefore banned. This has transferred down the line and the Jews and the Muslims who live in warm climates still practice the ritual of not eating these foods. Evidentally, the fact that they now have fridges seems to have slipped their minds.

To those who take the Bible literally, they think that these foods are banned simply because God stated so. They don't look for a reasoning behind the rule and therefore are unable to accept that times change and mankind moves on. They don't question but follow blindly. They are stuck in the past and therefore they keep God stuck in the past. And unfortunately, this causes a hell of a lot of the problems we see in the world today.

its has no edition - as in, edition 1, 2 and so on.

Actually, it has more editions than any other book - from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic it was originally written in, right down to the present day editions. Not only that, but it has been translated into more languages than any other book.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by mazaje(m): 7:54pm On Sep 03, 2008
Bastage:

There is a big difference between reading the Bible as the Word of God and taking everything within it's pages literally.

One has to realise that there are many, many things that cannot be taken literally and that these things need examining. For example, it is a book of politics and a book of history and one must always take those things in context.

I give you an example: In Leviticus, God forbids the eating of many food-stuffs. The vast majority of these are things that are poisonous when left unrefridgerated - ie: Pork, shellfish, etc. For the early Hebrews, who were a nomadic desert tribe, the last thing they needed on the eve of a battle was a dose of food poisoning so it made sense to steer well clear of them. As an army that needed to conquer territory and cities, it simply could not take the chance so it was therefore banned. This has transferred down the line and the Jews and the Muslims who live in warm climates still practice the ritual of not eating these foods. Evidentally, the fact that they now have fridges seems to have slipped their minds.

To those who take the Bible literally, they think that these foods are banned simply because God stated so. They don't look for a reasoning behind the rule and therefore are unable to accept that times change and mankind moves on. They don't question but follow blindly. They are stuck in the past and therefore they keep God stuck in the past. And unfortunately, this causes a hell of a lot of the problems we see in the world today.

Actually, it has more editions than any other book - from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic it was originally written in, right down to the present day editions. Not only that, but it has been translated into more languages than any other book.

the keep god in the past abi? abi they now created a new god in their own image. . . . . . . . .
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by bawomolo(m): 1:35am On Sep 04, 2008
JeSoul:

Udyro,
  let me save you some trouble. 99% of the atheists on Nairaland are irrational, dishonest and have an unhealthy obession against God and a personal agenda to discredit the bible - don't waste your time trying to "discuss" with them.

now who is being irrational with the stereotypes

samba123:

try this thread talk about lots of contradiction in the Bibles

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-112751.0.html

word read that thread if u want to see how confusing the word of scribes God could be
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Tasma: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2008
Udyro:

Tasma, the so called contracdictions quoted above are not contracdictions at all but blasphemous. its like one saying
that 'Hanah in the bible was a barren woman, how come that when she prayed to God that she become pregnant. and they concluded that God must have pregnated her. meaning God marry just like humans', they even said He marries about three women - sarah, Hanah and Mary the mother of Jesus.
now, can u call this contradiction or blasphemy against the Holy God?

judge for yourself whether it is really contradication or gudgible thoughts from non-christians.

@ Udyro.
I must simply conclude that you didn't even bother to read the list of contradictions in the link http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/jim_meritt/bible-contradictions.html. Why because the contradictions are not summations from atheists interpretations of biblical verses but actual and clear differences from verse to verse.

JeSoul:

Udyro,

Don't know about the above comment but I definitely am not out to make you an unbeliever in God. I just want to encourage you to think critically about all things and simply not just accept things on face value. I'm sure this journey of knowledge and enlightenment will bring you closer to "God" than you ever thought.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Bastage: 10:09am On Sep 04, 2008
the keep god in the past abi? abi they now created a new god in their own image. . .

No. If you take a look at the god of extremists and fundamentalists, you'll see that he is the same as the jealous, murdering, war-mongering, arrogant, insane god of the Old Testament.
That god had to behave like that - he was just starting up a new religion and conquering lands and needed fear to get his followers behind him.

But times moved on and if you take a look at the New Testament, you'll see a much more caring and loving figure. God moved on with mankind.

The literalists are the people who go back to that fearsome Old Testament god and use him to justify their actions.
If you take a look at Islam and Judaism you can see this at work. Both have the fearsome, tribal god and if their scriptures are taken literally, violence is justified. It's why the two sides can never get on with each other - their literal interpretations mean that they are constantly at war with each other.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Udyro(f): 11:26am On Sep 04, 2008
Bastage:

let me make ur corrections clear here, the edition i mean is by way of modification, upgrading, adding, etc.

the Bible is only being 'translated' as u said into many languages of the world, more than any other books.
its contents still remain the same.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by Bastage: 2:03pm On Sep 04, 2008
The Bible has been modified and upgraded.

Quick Example: Go take a look at the King James Version and compare any chapter with the same one in a 20th century version. You'll find some big differences. Some of them quite eye opening.

As an aside, my personal favourite is a passage where one word has been changed:

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

You'll find that the word "Love" has replaced the word "Charity".

To me that means that both are one and the same.
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by JeSoul(f): 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2008
JeSoul:

Udyro,
bawomolo:

now who is being irrational with the stereotypes

okay okay maybe I exaggerated . . . 98% of the atheists on Nairaland are irrational dishonest and have an unhealthy obession against God and a personal agenda to discredit the bible. cool
Re: Do You Believe The Bible As God's Word?[b] by JeSoul(f): 2:37pm On Sep 04, 2008
Tasma:

Don't know about the above comment but I definitely am not out to make you an unbeliever in God. I just want to encourage you to think critically about all things and simply not just accept things on face value. I'm sure this journey of knowledge and enlightenment will bring you closer to "God" than you ever thought.
   Sweetie a quick search will suffice, you're not talking to a rookie. If it wasn't explicitly clear from my response I'm a christian who believes firmly & without apologies 100% in the bible. I've been down the road of so-called 'discussions' of 'bible-contradictions' with atheist foot soldiers and have found such undertakings to be a massive waste of time . . . with at least 99% 98% of them.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Two Things God Has Never Seen: Do You Have The Answer Or U Wonna Argue It? / If There's Only One God, Why Are There So Many Religions? / my fellow theists please answer this question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.