Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,224 members, 7,822,142 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? (1490 Views)

Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? / What Is Wrong To Marry From A Polygamous Family?? / Polygamous Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by kokoye(m): 2:26pm On Jul 09, 2008
I decided I was not going to marry from a polygamous home no matter what. Although not a fault of the kids (some of which are exceptionally nice), there are too many things going on in such families that I am better off doing without, including false and unnecessary suspicions.

I also think a man who truly loves his kids will not expose them to that kind of competition / rivalry.

what do you think?
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by Godalone(m): 6:35pm On Jul 09, 2008
Marrying from a polygamous home does not make you a polygamist except you have the drive in you.There is no risk my guy.
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by KarmaMod(f): 6:36pm On Jul 09, 2008
Never.
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by ifyalways(f): 8:21pm On Jul 09, 2008
whats next . . . ."i wont marry from an all girls family" cheesy
@topic,nothing spoil.am not marrying the whole family am i
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by kokoye(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2008
There's just too much going in with such families.

A friend of mine just had a baby and did not tell his dad because he thinks he might tell his stepmom. 

Another's mom has cancer and they think it might be the stepmom doing jazz. Meanwhile the stepmom might not know anything about it!

A third doing well in his career field does not want his older half-brother to know because he might get jealous,

you want me to continue?

the list is endless, I don't think it is worth it.

1 Like

Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by CH3COO(m): 10:21pm On Jul 09, 2008
Yes! yes and yes. Only ignorants wouldn't.
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by lucabrasi(m): 10:48pm On Jul 09, 2008
kokoye:

There's just too much going in with such families.

A friend of mine just had a baby and did not tell his dad because he thinks he might tell his stepmom.

Another's mom has cancer and they think it might be the stepmom doing jazz. Meanwhile the stepmom might not know anything about it!

A third doing well in his career field does not want his older half-brother to know because he might get jealous,

you want me to continue?

the list is endless, I don't think it is worth it.
is your post about the disadvantage of marrying from a polygamous home cause you seem to be doing a good job of it or just sampling everyone's opinions?
@post
im from a polygamous home and i must admit theres always issues and drama,why ours wasnt as pronounced was because almost all of us left naij as soon as we finished secondary school for uni so there was no chance of in fightings,drama e.t.c but at the end of the day once u r married to whoever in the family you ll be going on to live your own private lives so polygamous family is out of the equation,having said that there r a lot of monogamous families with enough issues,drama,diabolic stuffs going on
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by GoldFinch(m): 10:54pm On Jul 09, 2008
Why would I want to commit suicide?

1 Like

Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by OrumbaS89(f): 2:45am On Jul 11, 2008
Hell no

My mum came from a polygamous family. I think it conditioned the girls in the family to take too much wahala from men. Also, I wouldn't want to marry a man from a poly home because he might be a sexist, considering what he saw growing up. He might think he can do whatever he wants because of his abunna.
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by Rogo: 12:01pm On Jul 17, 2008
Never i will try such thing in my dear life.

1 Like

Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by bystander: 1:50pm On Jul 29, 2008
From my great-grand-father to my father were all polygamous. But the extended families all have a relationship that bounds them togheter as one family.

I am from a polygamous, I have half-brothers and half-sisters, people would not believe we are not from the same mother. Because we do everything as families. Why do other families that are not polygamous fight themselves to pieces? Especially when it comes to sharing their father herits? When our old man passed away his properties were easily broken down by his own polygamous brothers to his children from his polygamous family. It didn't cause fight, even when some get things that were smaller than the others. Just because he taught us that even a friend outside can become a family member. My father even took in foster children that nowadays are very succesful and still proud to be brought up by the late old man.

However, I am not in favour of polygamous set ups nowadays. But then you have to understand that it once a pride of a man to show how rich and powerful it is. But this is now obsolete. Stop this stupid thing that you cannot marry from a polygamous home, if you love somebody just marry her. You might have a problem with a person from an unpolygamous home equally. So those of you that said no, think twice, because love is blind. Make una no vex o.
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by Kachichi(f): 7:49pm On Jul 29, 2008
due to the grand competition and envy,everybody involved will be on each other´s necks.there´s no way in avoiding this, unless everybody involved is living above average standards of living e.g in developed countries. I found out that i have been married to one and am bailing out.i wouldn´t advice it, everybody wants full attention, this habit of men getting away with crazy traditions is a no-no grin
well i don´t see polygamous marriages happening in the way we´ve always seen it in africa happening in western countries.what is evident in developed countries is the adam,eve and steve relationships, .that´s another football field altogether.

kokoye:

Another's mom has cancer and they think it might be the stepmom doing jazz. ,

jazz?
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by tpiah2: 7:42pm On Dec 05, 2014
Re: Can Yoy Marry From A Polygamous Family? by SAMBARRY: 10:47pm On Dec 05, 2014
A polygamous home is likened to a den of mad people

(1) (Reply)

Pls Help! Were Growing Apart / If You Had One Gripe About Your Upbringing What Would It Be? / Never Toil With A Child's Self Esteem: A Lesson From Micheal Jackson's Life.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.