Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,595 members, 7,812,952 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:27 PM

Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? (10445 Views)

Ladies ; Would You leave Your Husband In A Place Like This (photo) / What Is Wrong To Marry From A Polygamous Family?? / Polygamous Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Oct 19, 2014
So this past friday I was having a chat with a female colleague at the office and our conversation skewed into more personal matters including marriage and family.

She mentioned that she wouldn't mind marrying a man that already has a wife, but that the man should just not show it to any of them that he loves one more than the other (I was wondering how this can be possible). She said she wouldn't mind because she has come to realise that most men cheat, whether married or not, so wouldn't it be better to marry one that you already know the other person he's sleeping with.

She mentioned that she comes from a polygamous home, but that none of the wives stay with the husband. The wives live on their on with the kids.

This was actually quite informative to me as I haven't been privy to such before, and I never really had a friend that was/is from a polygamous home.

So ladies, would you actually consider being someone's 2nd, 3rd, 4th wife? And if you're the 1st wife, would you mind if your husband takes on a 2nd wife?

My opinion on this is reserved for now as I'd really want to hear from the ladies. And if you're from a polygamous home, do share your experience please.

Thank you

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 4:44pm On Oct 19, 2014
My cousins lived in a polygamous home. Their childhood was hell. Your co-worker should go and live in one for a month.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by suregurl(f): 4:52pm On Oct 19, 2014
No woman will willingly say she want to marry from a polygamous family. What supposed to be for one will be shared by two/more in polygamous marriage/family.... Still waiting for the elders/experienced to comment.....

4 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by babygirlfl: 4:57pm On Oct 19, 2014
masonkz:
So this past friday I was having a chat with a female colleague at the office and our conversation skewed into more personal matters including marriage and family.

She mentioned that she wouldn't mind marrying a man that already has a wife, but that the man should just not show it to any of them that he loves one more than the other (I was wondering how this can be possible). She said she wouldn't mind because she has come to realise that most men cheat, whether married or not, so wouldn't it be better to marry one that you already know the other person he's sleeping with.

She mentioned that she comes from a polygamous home, but that none of the wives stay with the husband. The wives live on their on with the kids.

This was actually quite informative to me as I haven't been privy to such before, and I never really had a friend that was/is from a polygamous home.

So ladies, would you actually consider being someone's 2nd, 3rd, 4th wife? And if you're the 1st wife, would you mind if your husband takes on a 2nd wife?

My opinion on this is reserved for now as I'd really want to hear from the ladies. And if you're from a polygamous home, do share your experience please.

Thank you

Polygamous men still cheat.

To answer your question, I never considered becoming a second wife and I can't be in a polygamous home.

13 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2014
masonkz:

Thank you

Do you not find the bolded bit of your post quite demeaning and insultive? Why are you trying so hard to sell the polygamy ticket on here?

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Do you not find the bolded bit of your post quite demeaning and insultive? Why are you trying so hard to sell the polygamy ticket on here?

I'm sorry if I sounded demeaning and insultive. I would never want that. I actually don't support polygamy, and everyone that knows me on Nairaland knows my stance on it. I was just surprised when my colleague said she wouldn't mind.

I've also come to realise that it's men that keep screaming for a polygamous home, and not women themselves. More reason why I wanted a woman's perspective.

6 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
babygirlfl:

Yeah, that was a pretty dumb thing for her to say.

8 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:16pm On Oct 19, 2014
masonkz:

I'm sorry if I sounded demeaning and insultive. I would never want that. I actually don't support polygamy, and everyone that knows me on Nairaland knows my stance on it. I was just surprised when my colleague said she wouldn't mind.

I've also come to realise that it's men that keep screaming for a polygamous home, and not women themselves. More reason why I wanted a woman's perspective.

More like you're trying to instigate a religious fight on a holy day.

Is your colleague Muslim? If she is or comes from an Islamic background, that should more than answer your question. For some, it's a way of life and if that's how they as adults choose to live their lives, then you'd do best to respect them for it.

There are cultures out there that also practice Polyandry. Would that "surprise" you too?

Live and let live, abeg.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Is your colleague Muslim? If she is or comes from an Islamic background, that should more than answer your question. For some, it's a way of life and if that's how they as adults choose to live their lives, then you'd do best to respect them for it.

There are cultures out there that also practice Polyandry. Would that "surprise" you too?

Live and let live, abeg.

Lady, calm down. You are looking for drama where there is none.

He's asking a simple survey question, and you're demanding to know why he didn't make a sweeping generalization from one woman's comments.

13 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Oct 19, 2014
That lady must be 37 and counting

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:21pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Lady, calm down. You are looking for drama where there is none.

He's asking a simple survey question, and you're demanding to know why he didn't make a sweeping generalization from one woman's comments.

On the contrary, I am calm.

I suspect he knows her religious background and she's probably Muslim. So if he knows that, then why the very unintelligent question?

What's his hidden Agenda?

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
No, i won't stand sharing my man with a fellow woman. And i wouldn't dare dating a married man talk more of marrying a man who already has a wife.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:
My cousins lived in a polygamous home. Their childhood was hell. Your co-worker should go and live in one for a month.
I'm raised in polygamous home, I didn't see any hell there.

There are hell in monogamous home too, stop the shii.

suregurl:
No woman will willingly say she want to marry from a polygamous family. What supposed to be for one will be shared by two/more in polygamous marriage/family.... Still waiting for the elders/experienced to comment.....
The irony part of your post is that we can see women preferring/go into polygamous marriage.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Live and let live, abeg.

If you notice, I've left out religion out of the post. This is clearly because I understand that this would be subjective and more of a person's opinion than anything else.

Yes, there are cultures that may promote polygamy, but that doesn't mean everyone from such culture/religion would wanna go by it.

@bold, I definitely respect her views on that of course, or did I also sound judgemental? I only asked for other people's views on this, and any experience from polygamous homes.

Thanks

3 Likes

EfemenaXY:

I suspect he knows her religious background and she's probably Muslim. So if he knows that, then why the very unintelligent question?

The insults are highly unnecessary. Why the defensiveness and paranoia? Why are you bringing religion into it? My grandfather and uncles were polygamous and they were Christians. You need to back up and chill.

20 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:

Then you were lucky. I've seen terrible fights between wives and their children that last until adulthood. To this day, my father can't trust his siblings enough to let them serve him food. How fĂșcked up is that?

My aunt was held down by the other wife and her children and... And that's just one of the things that I know of. Your case is rare.

3 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:25pm On Oct 19, 2014
babygirlfl:

To answer your question, I never considered becoming a second wife and I can't be in a polygamous home.
Same as monogamous men.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
Same as monogamous men.

If you saw what she bolded, you would understand her comment. Stop being defensive.

She said being polygamous doesn't stop mean from cheating. I.e. monogamous cheating men will still cheat in a polygamous marriage. Notice her use of the word "still".

9 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by babygirlfl: 5:29pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
Same as monogamous men.

Please read the op's post again and see why I wrote that.

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:32pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

Then you were lucky. I've seen terrible fights between wives and their children that last until adulthood. To this day, my father can't trust his siblings enough to let them serve him food. How fĂșcked up is that?

My aunt was held down by the other wife and her children and... And that's just one of the things that I know of. Your case is rare.
I'm not lucky, I don't really believe in that word.

Different family with their problems, in my polygamous home I came from I never experienced any fight, conflicts till date.

The problem is not with the marriage setting, the problem is with we humans.

5 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

The insults are highly unnecessary. Why the defensiveness and paranoia? Why are you bringing religion into it? My grandfather and uncles were polygamous and they were Christians. You need to back up and chill.

What's insultive about my post?

What paranoic about my post?

What's defensive about my post?

Now let's put all of this in perspective. If I open up a thread titled: Guys, would you consider marrying into a polyandrous home? What sort of reaction do you think such a thread would elicit?

More importantly, what would be my real reason for opening up such a thread?

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by suregurl(f): 5:34pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:

The irony part of your post is that we can see women preferring/go into polygamous marriage.

something else must be attached to marrying from polygamous family for the few(women) that choosed to.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:35pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

So it is only Muslims that go into polygamy?

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:37pm On Oct 19, 2014
masonkz:

If you notice, I've left out religion out of the post. This is clearly because I understand that this would be subjective and more of a person's opinion than anything else.

Yes, there are cultures that may promote polygamy, but that doesn't mean everyone from such culture/religion would wanna go by it.

@bold, I definitely respect her views on that of course, or did I also sound judgemental? I only asked for other people's views on this, and any experience from polygamous homes.

Thanks

Okay. So answer my question then.

Is she Muslim? Or from an Islamic background? Surely you should know the answer to that, seeing as she's your colleague, yes?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:38pm On Oct 19, 2014
tintingz:
So it is only Muslims that go into polygamy?

Did I explicitly state that it's only Muslims who go into polygamy?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:42pm On Oct 19, 2014
babygirlfl:

Please read the op's post again and see why I wrote that.

suregurl:
The lady the op talked about said something about knowing who her husband is sleeping with, she never said polygamous men don't cheat.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by Mintayo(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Okay. So answer my question then.

Is she Muslim? Or from an Islamic background? Surely you should know the answer to that, seeing as she's your colleague, yes?
I think i understand the angle you are coming from. I will like d Op to answer the question too.
MissMeiya:

If you saw what she bolded, you would understand her comment. Stop being defensive.

She said being polygamous doesn't stop mean from cheating. I.e. monogamous cheating men will still cheat in a polygamous marriage. Notice her use of the word "still".
he will be defensive because he is a muslim,he believes in polygamy!

2 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:50pm On Oct 19, 2014
suregurl:
something else must be attached to marrying from polygamous family for the few(women) that choosed to.
What attachment?

Most of these women in polygamous marriage were not forced into it.
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:53pm On Oct 19, 2014
MissMeiya:

she's just being biased.

1 Like

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by EfemenaXY: 5:55pm On Oct 19, 2014
^^ Really? How?
Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by cococandy(f): 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
Dey don come again grin

OP as a first wife the answer to your question is no. I won't tolerate polygamy

6 Likes

Re: Ladies, Would You Consider Marrying Into A Polygamous Family? by tintingz(m): 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Did I explicitly state that it's only Muslims who go into polygamy?
and why did you bring religion into this?

The first thing that comes to your mind about the lady op is talking about is that she's from a Muslim background?

My neighbor here is a Christian and a polygamous man in his marriage.

Nigeria culture is into polygamy why not ask questions about that?

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Does Your Husband Complain About Your Cooking? Share Your Experience. / Extramarital Affair - The Warning Signs Before Getting Stuck / Opinion Poll: Cooking In A Host's House

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.