Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,134 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

About Sap? - Career (39) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / About Sap? (145088 Views)

Lets Talk About Sap!!! / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / What Do You Know About Sap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:23pm On Jun 21, 2012
Thanks but may i know you sir?
and please can you advice further on this 64 or 65 and how do you mean?
Taiwo
Re: About Sap? by gistme24(m): 9:38pm On Jul 06, 2012
Hello guys. I just cleared ABAP C_TAW12_71 through self study. will really appreciate any form of hint or links.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:36am On Jul 09, 2012
Hello Sap Gurus,
To God be the glory ,i have just passed SAP FI Module-C_Ctfin52_65
Thank You
Taiwo

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by denzel2009: 7:43pm On Jul 09, 2012
BAKAREAAT: Hello Sap Gurus,
To God be the glory ,i have just passed SAP FI Module-C_Ctfin52_65
Thank You
Taiwo

Congrats bro.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 12:32pm On Jul 10, 2012
denzel2009:

Congrats bro.

Thank You Mr Denzel2009 ,Please what should i do now and again ,which of these module one should write first controlling or business Intelligence ?
Please how do i get job as a Junior SAP cONSULTANT
Re: About Sap? by denzel2009: 12:44pm On Jul 10, 2012
BAKAREAAT:

Thank You Mr Denzel2009 ,Please what should i do now and again ,which of these module one should write first controlling or business Intelligence ?
Please how do i get job as a Junior SAP cONSULTANT

I think you need to get your feet wet. join a company that has implemented SAP as a support staff. With that you'll learn and get acquainted with most errors and problems before you start consulting.

Business Objects is also good too.

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:51pm On Jul 10, 2012
Hi SAP FI students ,Questions and Answers to be practice online for SAP FI EXAM ,C_Tfin52_65 Latest booking code for SAP Finance Module Certification
is for sale.It is to be practice with test engine. it contains over 400 questions.Bought online from US.If you are interested ,please call 08060146731
The name of the test is called ultimate test.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:59pm On Jul 11, 2012
PLEASE ,MR Denzel 2009,
My coy is already using sap Business one,i dont know whether that may help too?
i also want to ask if one can also go for SAP Technical Audit -Security and Authorization ,the cost Advertised by Infotech Risks
Security Ltd at 2nd floor ,Victoria High school Premises ,Near etiebet place at ikeja is N250'000 ,i dont is also relevant?
Thank You
Re: About Sap? by denzel2009: 5:31pm On Jul 11, 2012
BAKAREAAT: PLEASE ,MR Denzel 2009,
My coy is already using sap Business one,i dont know whether that may help too?
i also want to ask if one can also go for SAP Technical Audit -Security and Authorization ,the cost Advertised by Infotech Risks
Security Ltd at 2nd floor ,Victoria High school Premises ,Near etiebet place at ikeja is N250'000 ,i dont is also relevant?
Thank You

Mr Taiwo stop reading and get experience.

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 10:02am On Jul 12, 2012
Thank you sir,i feel you
Taiwo
Re: About Sap? by kokoA(m): 2:09pm On Jul 25, 2012
If anybody in here preparing for certification and need the BASIS training materials (TADM10 - TADM12) indicate by dropping your email address, I can forward them to you for FREE. Thanks
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 5:38pm On Jul 25, 2012
Please sap gURU,I HAVE A challenge J& f cONSULTING is organising training on life Scenarios on sap fi Module for
the two days of their training 4& 5 th August for N100'000.
9-6PM FOR THE TWO DAYS.Please is it advisable for someone is Certified on SAP FI to attend is going to add value?
Please advice
Thank You
Taiwo
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 5:40pm On Jul 25, 2012
Please mr Denzel 2009 i need your input
Thank You
Re: About Sap? by wham(m): 11:06am On Jul 30, 2012
@BAKAREAAT

Mr Taiwo, you really do not need to go for these trainings again. Especially if you actually covered the standard study materials for that FI certification. The trainings are not bad but you don't need to spend that money again. Take it easy. Start seeking for opportunities.

You can join online SAP groups and participate in the FI forums.

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by yungreezy: 8:14pm On Aug 05, 2012
Hello guys, would really like the house to help me out here. I just graduated from school and I studied information technology. What area of SAP is suitable for me? I'm totally new to SAP so i need the guidance of the house on how to build a career in SAP
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 9:42am On Aug 06, 2012
Thanks a million Oga Wham ,i feel you.
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 9:29pm On Aug 10, 2012
DOs & DON’Ts for SAP Career (Certification) on the basis of my on going journey from an Accountant to SAP FI Consultant.
Posted by CHIRAG SHAH in SAP Certification on Aug 9, 2012 5:06:17 PM
I am just a commerce graduate (15 years of education); I could not get through my post graduation due to some of my personal reasons & problems.

I started my career as an accountant and 16 years down the line I was working as an Accounts Manager in a company.

I was directly reporting to MD & Chairman of the company and there were 8 colleagues who were reporting to me.

I was enjoying very good respect, power, conveyance, freedom over and above a satisfactory pay package.

My life was going very smooth and I was very happy.

Day by day slowly & gradually recession serpents started swallowing my happy moments one by one.

Staff strength was reduced in the company by imposing more burdens on existing employees. Almost all extra benefits and freedom was withdrawn by the company. More qualified personal were available in the market that was ready to work for less money and it increased job insecurity also. Work pressure along with job insecurity started increasing day by day.

I started looking into improvement of my own education & qualification for survival in the market. It was very difficult for me to pass post graduation now as it has more than 15 years passed I dropped my studies.

With the guidance of my seniors & well wishers I selected field of ERP for further studies. And with the help of market research I decided to be a SAP ERP consultant.

I approached SAP Education partners, I consulted councilors, in view of my CV I was advised to opt for FI module and I was given JOB assurance also. Passing percentage in this exam as per past records was between 30 & 50. I did not want to take any chance; as a result with all the planning & calculations I resigned from my existing JOB, I spent full time and handsome amount of money for getting through the exam. I succeed exam in my first attempt and became a Certified SAP-FI Consultant.

It took around four months time and handsome amount of money on top of loss of earning during this period. But I was feeling some relief from the pressure through which I passed since last four months as now it was time to recover all those cost.

I was very happy. Again I started dreaming respect, power, conveyance, freedom, good pay package as before or may be more than that as over and above 18 years of domain experience I am a SAP Certified consultant NOW.

Next day morning I updated my resume and mailed it to the SAP education partner who had given me JOB assurance. In reply I was told that “We are forwarding your resume to companies, you may get interview calls but at the same time even you keep searching Job from your personal resources”

It is more than 3 months are passed post certification (and 7 months passed resigning my previous job), In spite of following up with SAP education partners for N number of times, there was not even a single interview call.

I got the message that the SAP education partners are stepping back from their word & I started exploring new opportunities at my own. All the JOB portals were flooded with Job opportunities for experienced candidates. Domain experience and end-user experience was not given any weight age. Those candidates were considered as fresher in this field. And surprisingly there was not even single opening for fresher.

One day I received a mail offering me working on SAP live project, please find it below

We are pleased to inform you that your profile fulfills the desired minimum Eligibility Criteria and hence has been short-listed to be a part in our On-Going SAP R/3 Live Implementation Projects on Client-Site.
We are looking out for Jr. SAP Consultants with Good Knowledge of respective Domain and relevant SAP Module, Good Grasping Power, Ready to relocate anywhere in India or Abroad.

These candidates will placed in our Client Team involved in Live SAP Implementation Projects in our company. This is an Opportunity for all those Candidates who wish to make their career in ERP-SAP Industry, need a proper break in Live SAP Implementation Projects, and have the ability to handle SAP Projects.
For first life cycle you have to pay Rs 55 thousand. You work under our senior team.

Company will be providing all the documents related to HR. You will not remain a Fresher, but a Genuine Experienced SAP Consultant after the completion of the Project, with all the necessary Documentation.

One another day I received an Interview call, I appeared for interview, I got selected, I was offered not even 33% of salary which I was getting previously. I accepted it as each day passes without JOB was giving more and more pressure. I just had to finish all recruitment procedure. Surprisingly I was asked to sign a 3 years bond with a bank guarantee equivalent to 18 months salary. And to avail bank guarantee it was required creating bank FD equivalent to 20 months salary.

Ooppssss!!!!!!

It broke all my confidence & back-bone. I was almost on my knees for survival.

I decided to give up and go back to Domain, I inquired with my previous employer for job again but obvious the position was filled and there was no vacancy.

Finally I got a JOB as a shadow consultant SAP-FI with almost 25% of pay than that of what I was getting (and that too on irregular basis some time late and sometime 2 month salary together). On the top I was used as an extra personal for replacement in case of absenteeism and leave of senior consultants.

Like wise I did 2 projects but in both the projects I was not given sufficient authorization on system even to surf through the configurations. Many times I was not even given sufficient infrastructure. I was not given any guidance; no seniors were willing to share their knowledge. I was just killing golden time of my life without any assignments.

Today after completion of almost 2 years from resigning my previous JOB and I have no option but to keep on censuring & scolding my fate.

With the grace of GOD, blessings of well wishers, on the basis of certification knowledge, my domain experience and with the help of some of my colleagues and many knowledge sharing forums, Blogs and Sites etc. I started understanding a little bit of SAP. I am confident of doing wonders if I get an opportunity and of course a mentor.

Looking forward to gain back the same happy moments in my life…..

My advice to my juniors…

DON’Ts
Don’t ever resign from your existing job for studies. Today the world is very competitive so train your self to sail on multiple boats simultaneously.
Don’t relay on any third parties job assurance.
Don’t sign any long term bond without studying it properly and knowing all the paratroops.
Don’t enter into the field heaving rozy picture in the mind.
Don’t take hasty decision as there are all the chances of all your calculations and planning go fail.
Don’t dive or dip into your investments nor into borrowings for investing into further studies your current earnings should be the source of investment into it.

DOs
Do dream but always with open eyes.
Do further studies or develop your self only with your current earnings.
Do keep 51% reserve for your fate and do your best for rest of 49% as even after putting your best efforts there is no assurance of success as your luck always runs faster than you.
Do study ground level reality, possibilities & probabilities before entering into the field.
Do keep patience & persevere towards the goal once you enter into this field.
Do hold your mentors hand. This field is like an ocean, it is impossible to sail across without a Ship (Mentor).
Do keep on passing your knowledge. As no one on this earth has born with knowledge. Every one has gained knowledge from others in one or the other way. Therefore it becomes your duty / responsibility to pass it to your next generation.

As my journey is not yet finished, I request advice, guidance, direction, counsel from my seniors.

And appeal to juniors to learn a lesson.

Suggestion and comments on the blog are most welcome.

Regards
Chirag

http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2012/08/09/dos-don-ts-for-sap-carrier-certification-on-the-basis-of-my-on-going-journey-from-an-accountant-to-sap-fi-consultant

2 Likes

Re: About Sap? by gistme24(m): 8:12pm On Aug 11, 2012
@nnaiah even what happened to CHIRAG SHAH is somethign I have been told to expect, its still sad reading that.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:26am On Aug 13, 2012
Hello members of SAP FORUM,Nairaland,
i quiet syspathise with the experience of this chap from India.
The truth of the matter is that if one is having relation with the Holy Ghost ,Which is the perfect spirit of God,that may not arise
I am also SAP Fi Certified passed with 81% But i tell you ,i will allow the spirit of God to take control.
The number one is that when you are planning your career let the spirit of God Guide you,I.E Pray without season.
SAP Opportunities is scarce to come by for freshers even when you have certified but Only God can make the road smooth and fast.
especially for freshers ,in this part of the world only few coys will implemt this software i.e Multi National co-operation
Most coys in nigeria about 95% fAll under SMES and if out they will want to implement SAP They will use SAP Business One or SAP
All in ONE.The truth is that the cost of imp to Go Live is even very expensive for most companies in this part of the world and even
these coys are still struggling to invest in software like Sage 50,Tally, Quickbooks Sage pastel Evolution etc and how much more to Invest
on SAP Business one before talking of SAP ERP ,WHICH is the Real.i.e much more robust and different for SAP Business one etc
Although Both licence and unlicence SAP Trainning institution Both home and abroad are doing Training that does not even exist,they have sugar coated
mouth.Please i will advice SAP Students or candidate that want to come to SAP World that is not for the faint-hearted according to mark one of our
strong contributor on this site and again they should go through all the post in this forum which is more than enough to guide them.
Again SAP pROGRAMME SHOULD not be done in Hurry ,dont let anybody deceive you.
For SAP Students or candidate if you cannot afford the cost of e-academy N600'000 750'000 for 5 e-academy in Certified pomentric centres like
Newhorizon,ComputerWarehouse Aptech etc look for a mentor who has actually done the exam i.e the module which you are interested in.is the best to guide you
iF you have your money go directly to any of the std ICT CENTRES AS I MENTIONED Above OR Look for mentor who help you with their materials.
so that you can study and passed your sap Exam But if you have the funds to play around with you can travells to places like India,Paskistan ,uk,USA,Germany or europe Generally aithough much more cheaper in india and pakistan as compared to others.as it
more cheaper there .But my candid advice is that dont let anybody deceive you the opportunies for sap jobs are not really in nigeria
like i said only few coys will use this software because huge investments involved and if you go into SAP for quick returns you are just deceiving yourself.Remember that it only when the software is implemented ,that is when the jobs will be available ,for instance before i go into it i know
the challenges involved ,pLEASE dont leave your job whatsoever becuase of sap studies. All you need to do is to follow it as Parrallel changeover
i.e if the opportunities come fine if it does not fine ,My life will not be under bondage because of SAP Studies.
Becareful ,you are in an environments where everything goes,People motivational speakers now because of sap.they master everything for new students and
candidates so that you can quickly invest your money that is not available.
All what i have said is not knew if you can go through all the post in this forum for at least you spent totally 24 hrs ,which is what i did
Most of the companies that does this
implemetation comes from abroad may if God help you can join them for support or others .Total Nig Ltd, NNPC etc they are all foreign firms even Oceanic bank then now Ecobank foreign firm too and so that is it
Government is also another institution that can implement or has implemented sap for instance -Ministry of debt and finance plus others
Please be wise as serpent,SAP Programme cannot be done on crash programme.
Please take care and beware of fake which comes in ship clothing on sap.

Thank You
Taiwo Bakare(ACA,SAP FI Certified)
Re: About Sap? by markos: 10:23am On Aug 14, 2012
Could not have said any better, the SAP world is definitely getting tougher by the day, a lot of people are getting certified which is not a bad thing, however most companies require experience, multiple life cycle implementation, i dont know much about the Nigerian SAP market, i assume only the big multi-nationals can afford the software and they use the same implementation partners which are often in Europe or Asia, it was tough for me as well, I am not certified and it is not on top of my agenda to seek certification but i stress i have plenty experience, over 14 years and counting, i can now add BW to my reusme, as a user i must stress, was not involved in implementation, my core modules are SD MM and integration with FI CO and PP, took me a while to get where i am today, a lot of frustrations along the way, once i was out of work for nearly 6 months!! it was savings that saw me through, as you get more experience i guess you will become attractive to prospective clients and recruitment agencies, it surely takes time and dedication, for those who think of using SAP as a means to get rich, this is 2012 not 1997, you will definitely struggle as you have the wrong mindset right from the beginning, SAP can be a rewarding career for those who are prepared to do everything it takes, it has surely taken me to places beyound my wildest dreams and allowed me to indulge in my favourite past time which is travelling, any advice?? for those with foreign contacts, try and seek roles outside Nigeria, i hear there are a few SAP roles in places like UAE, Dubai for example, Qatar, once you get your big breakthrough, everything else starts to fall into place, also expand your SAP network, join similar groups in linkedin for example, you might get a lucky break in there, if you decide to give up, then it means SAP was never for you in the first place, you were probably motivated by the monetary gains!! lets put it this way, a career that can earn a freelance consultant over 10K pounds a month will surely attract loads of people, at the same, the people in there will never help others to get a foot in, I have been at the receiving end of people i thought will help out, i could easily be selfish but i choose not to, you never know when you might need help, SAP consultants can be very selfish, they want all the top rates for themselves, I have a few SAP friends that live the dream life, 1st class travels around Europe, worldwide, beautiful apartments in the UK, Europe, expenses paid by clients, a typical working holiday could be a 12 months contract in an exotic location like Miami, all expenses paid for, or it could be Dubai which is often the case, sometimes clients pay for relocation of your family, pay fees, bills, accomodation and you get a high tax free income every month, for those that like to dream, hope this helps, this is no fiction, i have been fortunate to enjoy what i pointed out, it can surely be your turn next but you have to put it everything that is required to get in there

hope this helps!!!
Re: About Sap? by skillsict: 12:54pm On Aug 14, 2012
As Markos rightly pointed out, it is increasingly becoming difficult to get SAP roles these days. Employers are now looking for multiskilled professionals with strong knowledge of the integration points.
The issue in Nigeria is mainly lack of opportunities. According to me, it appears only government MDAs can drive the growth of SAP market in Nigeria. It's just too expensive for our SMEs. Anyone aspiring to pursue an SAP career should also look at South Africa in addition to those countries mentioned by Markos. Our Indian brothers are are already 'trooping' there.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 10:07am On Aug 15, 2012
Hello SAP Fans,
The truth is that SAP ERP is a software for Oil & Gas,Banks,Multinational Cooperations & Government Parastatals.
SAP Business One or SAP ALL One is for SMEs Why serious one among them i mean who Understand the need for ict
to drive their operations and who also understsnd for them to make inform key business decision.
SAP ERP Jobs is limited base on the fact that most companies right now are sick to even implement SAP Business One,
how much more SAP Erp.The problems is that candidates for the exam are made to believe that immediately they finish
thier training Plus certification they are ok and that they will start to make money and recover their Investment.
It is not so ,it takes time.You can fasttrack it if you travel abroad -Europe,US Canada etc You can only go to india
for training not for jobs because india people leave their country in search of jobs
My candid advice is for you as candidate to think very well if sap is atually for you.it is not for those that are looking for
immediate benefits like groundnut & Corn Business.
Thank You
Taiwo Bakare(ACA,SAP Fi Certified)
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2012
When is the right time to take your SAP Certification?
I have come across a lot of content recently around the subject of SAP Certification. To say this is a hot topic does not really make the point well enough. It has been a key talking points for many years now and I cant see the subject going away without drastic changes but that is another blog all by itself.

SAP is a truly Global product, with a Global appeal. SAP as a company has been growing by double digits for the last couple of years, and the number of products keeps on growing due to acquisitions and innovation. All this means is that the volume of work is growing as well. For every large licence sale that SAP make, there will be a large implementation project consisting of a small army of consultants. Some of these consultants, maybe internal, some may come from a SAP Partner and others could come from SAP themselves. There will be project management resources, as well as program management resources, as well as technical and functional consultants.

Geographically the maturity of the SAP market will vary. Europe and America will have a number of experienced consultants and at times the volume of consultants is more than the volume of work driving down the rates. In the UK we have noticed the contract market rates for “commodity skills” drop around 15-20% over the last 12 months for example.

How do you enter the SAP fold?
There are two common entries into the world of SAP. The first would be as a graduate or higher educated level where the employee would be joining a SAP Partner to learn SAP (normally a chosen area or product niche). There is still a strong stream of employees taking these types of roles up, and there is a clear appetite within the SAP Partner ranks to acquire talent and grow this way.

The second is the more complicated route. The employee will not be sponsored by a SAP Partner. They may have some business knowledge, however they wish to bypass the Graduate route and seek direct employment. Normally this is successful is where the employee works for a Company that is either thinking about implementing one of the many SAP products, or they currently use one or more of the SAP products and require internal assistance. Sometime business users who are using SAP want to try and work closer with SAP products in terms of configuration.

So when is the right time?

For the graduate the right time might feel like getting certified as the first part of their employment at their SAP Partner. However I am not sure this is right. Apart from a piece of paper stating the employee has passed an exam what skills can that employee over to a potential client (leading to chargeable work)? Some technical roles may just require the employee to learn a new technical skill or language, however if this cant be put into a business context the benefit of the certification is watered down. Surely the best start to their professional education is hands-on work with certification occurring once they can put the technical requirements into context with the actual consulting work they are performing.

The non graduate route is slightly more complicated. Any would-be SAP Consultant thinking of becoming certified prior to gaining a SAP based role within a Company is doing things the wrong way. It is much safer to try and secure employment and then look at education. A certified consultant without SAP consulting experience or implementation experience is not attractive to most Companies. When there are others out there with both, why would you select
someone that has no experience?

Please note the type of SAP product may sway this argument.
Having a certification in a “hot product” will be attractive, however not as
attractive as someone with the certification and the experience.

Working for a Company that uses SAP is a good place to start. You may be working for example in the Accounts department, but you wish to become a certified SAP Finance Consultant. To do this, you need to learn how to use the product as a business user. Remember if you become a SAP Finance
Consultant this is the type of individual you will be servicing and assisting. You also need to engage with the current Finance support team and understand
who they are and how they work. If you can see a viable plan to move into the team try and make the move, but you need to be honest with yourself about this if this is achievable.

There is also an option that certification is not actually valid for you. You have to question why you want to be certified. If it is to get a job within SAP Consulting, and you have one you may question the benefits of the piece of paper. From my experience most roles, especially more senior roles do not ask for certification as a requirement.The experience you will pick up over 4-5 implementations or support cycles will be more valuable than that piece of paper.

You may also need to walk away from your dreams. I have read a few blogs where consultants have gone into great details as to why they wanted to be SAP certified. One common theme, is their perceptions around being SAP Certified and the realities they faced after are totally different. I would have loved to be a footballer but due to a lack of skill I never got the chance. If someone had told me I could attend a course and I would be playing Premiership football, I might have been tempted. Hopefully I would have questioned the merits of this scheme. If it is that easy to do, why doesn’t everyone do it that way? Your career should be something that aligns to your actual skills not skills you dont have but could pick up on.
source http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2012/08/13/when-is-the-right-time-to-take-your-sap-certification
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:06am On Aug 16, 2012
Hello SAP fANS,
Entering into SAP Career should be based on environmental factors because every business environs comes with SWOT I.E
Strength ,Weakness,Opportunities and Threat.For instance what is obtainable in nigeria is different to other part of the world.
Sap talk the languages of Businesses which the end result is for companies to achieve both short and long term planning for the entire
business process.In Nigeria without been told Poverty level is very high and so in this economy people need soft landing.i.e
government and institution should support Acquisition of this skills in various modules so that many nigerians will come on board.
They should also encourage SMES to deploy this products at least SAP all in one so as to increase employment creation.
People who work in business environs like bank ,Multinational coys ,they dont have much problems because their coys will sponsor them the moment they deploy this products or they sponsor themselves either if they are interested to make it a career path, as someone who sponsor himself or herself.In this Category A is Very few SAP Learning need People from Category B in Nigeria.
especially when the skills is scarce among nigerians.Sap Market depends on where you find yourself.
i mean where you live for instance SAP Market has grown in Europe ,US ,Canada,India etc.This growth
was fastrack as a result of Good Economic Policies which was brought about as a result of goood governance.
Taking SAP Certifications should not be restricted,Either you have the experience or not when you passed the exam ,you can
applied for junior consultant role in any of the module which you have passed and ready for work,This is a statement from the SAP Official Web
Site.The ball is in your court.All one need to do waiting for the opportunies is to use the ides and start to
practice or simulations day to to day pending when the opportunities comes.Sap is a GLOBAL Knowledge.The challenge we have now is that
SAP is still in the embrayo stage and i know gradually ,it will start to give birth in nigeria but if you have certified
if want you travel abroad in other to fastrack your skills you can do so but dont
People should prepare themselves by taking the certification exam.
SAP Certificatin is valid.For SAP Students please visit SAPONEWORLD.
SAP is a global Knowledge.You can obtained training from a recognised Pomentric centre Expertedge ,Newhorizon etc
Certification in a nutshell is Planning to suceed in SAP World because Going into SAP Without Planning is planning to fail
Because the moment you are certified ,you will be waiting for the availabe opportunities Within nigeria or oustside nigeria.
ideally it is very important to have at least a minimum of 1st degree in your area of choosen career in sap so that you add
positive value to your career as a chartered accountant i have to go for SAP Fi Module in order to fastrack my career in Finance world.
i am working the CO Part now Pending the time the opportunities will come
Thank You.
Taiwo Bakare(ACA,SAP FI Certified)
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 8:45am On Aug 17, 2012
How to Approach and Pass a SAP Certification

Me, after passing Six SAP Certifications, I thought it is time for me to share my experiences, tips and ideas with the user community on passing a SAP Certification. SAP Certification is a tensed affair not because of its toughness, but, because of the money involved in it (gambling on one day cricket match ). This is particularly true, in case if you have also attended SAP Training at SAP Education or SAP Authorised Training Institutes. There are many people who have invested everything for just a Certificate. Me also one of such bunch of jokers (my wife says !!! ) who invests everything in education / certification, and at the end of the day, what you get is a peace of paper. However, the value of certification will come along with you and definitely recognised your efforts in the long run. There are many people still blame the certification process itself, because they feel that SAP has not tested their knowledge properly or they might have failed in one of their SAP Certifications or they may feel SAP Certification is a waste of money. Probably, this blog is not for so called intelligent people. I know the importance of hands on experience, but at the same time your fundamentals must be clear to work on a system. I have seen people who are having very good knowledge and 5 end to end implementations under their belt, but failed. I cannot blame their knowledge, I feel, there is a GAP in approach in attempting SAP Certification. This blog is for those who are really motivated to crack the SAP Certification at any cost and prove themselves to add one more A4 size paper to the list of their certificates

I would like to summarize some my personal experiences, tips and ideas, may be helpful in approaching and cracking SAP Certification.
Identify your strengths: Before writing a certification first know your strengths. If you want to write a certification in a particular area, you should know whether you have worked in any of those areas and gained any functional knowledge / domain knowledge / end user experience / configuration experience / coding experience / training etc. Note that everybody cannot get all the opportunities in all the above areas. But, you should able to Identify your strengths with respect to these areas, then decide which Certification you are required to attempt.

Understand SAP Certification Policies: Unfortunately, SAP is having different type of policies with reference to SAP Certification in different countries. I had to travel from India to Malaysia in order to write my SAP BW Certification . Dictionary meaning says Policy means, the rules are same for every one. But, unfortunately, SAP Education policy change from country to country, person to person and organisation to organisation. They are very complex, layman like me cannot understand . First contact your local SAP Education Team and understand what is their policy applicable for your case and get a written confirmation that you are eligible to write the certification. Sometimes, it may so happen that you are eligible to write SAP Certification on day 1 and surprisingly may not be eligible on day 2.

Formal Training: If you are really new to an area, but intended to write SAP Certification, you need to attend the formal training. In some countries, SAP says, you must get trained from SAP Education / SAP Authorised Training Partner. But, in other countries, you can register yourself and write the exam. If you are fortunate enough to afford the money, then, it is recommended to get some sort of formal training. There may be some exceptional people who has written some Certifications without formal training. But, please note all the certification you cannot adopt the same approach. Some of the Certifications really test your ability and conceptual knowledge. Please note that unless you are formally trained, you cannot reach the level of passing the Certification Exam. If you pass such certifications without having any knowledge and training, then you are a star

Plan in advance: You must plan in advance. At least couple of months are really required from the date of start of your formal training and attempting the certification. If you are privileged to get a formal training from SAP, you would get lot of new concepts every day and will have less time to practice and study, then your next day starts for new movie . Therefore, hardly you get any time to master the things. Since, you have gone through every page in detail, probably, you may in a better position position to attempt the examination.

Exercises: At the end of the each chapter, there used to be exercises, but do not worry if you are not able to complete them. In my whole life, I could not complete all the exercises in a book (little incompetent !!! LOL ). Please note that the exercises are given only to get clarity on the theoretical and conceptual knowledge. They are not intended to make you master or test your hands on exercises. Therefore, do not put much stress even if you cannot complete them.
After Training - Before Examination: I would say this is the real crucial stage. During the training period, you never had chance to revise anything. But, this is the period where you will really put the concepts into your mind.

Read each Certification Curriculum book for not less than FIVE times, very RELIGIOUSLY, before going to examination. First time, it would take longer period, but the more number of times you read, the time would be reduced. You must keep a notes and note down the important points. Meanwhile, you also highlight any important points with marker and note some questions with pencil. But, all my Certification books are filled with different marker colours, so could not read anything

Give more importance to chapters with +++ or ++ ratings in the syllabus. You may expect more number of questions out of these chapters.
You are not advised to memorise the things, but, try to read in order to understand the concepts. Because, in certification, SAP is trying to test your conceptual knowledge, but not your memory.

Try to answer the questions given at the end of the each chapter.
Practice number of questions during this period. There are number of yahoo / google groups, where you can find number of sample questions. Try to attempt them. Do not worry, if you are only able to correct few in your first attempt. Even me used to get few correct answers only. If it is wrong, understand why it is wrong, if it is correct, why it is correct, this is the only way, you can clear the conceptual understanding, rather than blindly remembering the answers.
There are number of pictures / graphs that are being given in the Certification material. Please do not look them as nice looking coloured pictures. Try to analyse them in functional / technical perspective. Hopefully, you will find lot of meaning from them. Then read the underlying text in conjunction with those pictures. You will see much and better confidence view.

If you have any time try to go through help.sap.com, where the concepts are written in crystal clear language. If you find any time and also go through some of the threads on SDN, that would be a bonus.
Day before examination:
Know the address of your examination center. Otherwise, you may get panic in searching for the center tomorrow morning
Go to bed little early.
Do not read too much the whole night, it may not help, moreover, you may be sleepy in the examination.
On the day of examination:
Get up little early and have relaxed bath, take adequate breakfast.
See if you have time and can rush through pages, but not spend too much time here, you will forget going to exam.
Ensure that you have identity card (passport / driving license) or admission ticket, pen / pencil etc.
Ensure that you reach half an hour in advance to the examination time. One time, I could not reach the examination center due to traffic and I am forced to reschedule my examination.
Whoever be the person, there will be definitely some tension boiling inside. But, try to keep yourself as much relaxed as possible. Just think, even if you do not pass, it is not the end of the world, still there is a tomorrow. Be calm.
In the Examination Hall:
Before coming to the examination, you must have enquired the pattern of the examination. In earlier pattern, you can still get partial credit for partially correct questions. However, for new pattern, SAP only will award marks if all your answers / sub answers are correct in a question. Even if you make one sub-question incorrect, you will not get any marks for the total question. Therefore, your concepts must be crystal clear, you cannot take chances to put lotteries in the examination center , whereas in old pattern, many people used to put lotteries for unknown questions (including me ), as you were not going to loose anything. No negative marking is there in either current or old pattern of valuation.

Ensure you have completed all the formalities, like filling the form containing the name, contact details, address (where you should get your certificate) etc.
Use elimination technique - First try to identify the wrong questions, which you can identify very easily, then finally you will reach the right answers.

Concentrate on Single Answered Questions - For certain questions are called single answered questions, which will have radio buttons, only one question will is the correct answer. I heard that they have higher weightage, but not sure. Ensure that you reach the correct answer by using elimination technique.

Try to attempt the easy questions first - Try to attempt the easy questions first, then this will give you confidence and keep you in better frame of mind.

Mark the questions - If you cannot answer the question completely, then put them as "Marked question", then at the end you can easily identify such questions and complete the answers. Even if you do not put as "Marked Questions", still you can come back and complete them, it would waste your valuable time.

Take few minutes break - Go to wash room and come back, your mind may be recharged.
Do not worry much about the time - You should usually get ample time. Every time, I used to get time to go through all the questions 3 to 4 times. Therefore, in my opinion, time will not be a constraint, unless somebody spends more than an hour on a single question
Give last ten minutes for re-look at all questions - At this point of time, you do not have the time to read the question, only look at the question with your eyes and ensure that you have answered all questions. So, go through in this fashion for all the questions.

Relax - If you are confident, then you can click submit button, if you are shivering, just sit, relax and close your eyes, the system will take your session and issue the results. If you pass you will see Congratulations, otherwise, you will see your failed message. You can note down the marks obtained chapter wise on a plain paper.
Even if you pass or fail, do not much worry about it, calm / relax and come out of the examination hall.
After the Examination:
You should get your hard copy of the certificate within 4 - 6 weeks of time from the date of your Certification.
If not contact your Local / Global SAP Education Team, they should be able to help you out.
Contact SAP Education Team for password of your S ID. This you can use in order visit Service Market Place (https://service.sap.com). Do not share this User ID and Password with others.
Contact SAP Education Team for your Certification Logo, which you can use on your CV.
Earlier SAP used to send S ID cards. I got for my three certifications, but not for other three. But, I do not know where I misplaced

Hopefully, I believe that I have covered most important points and will be useful for SAP Certification aspirants. This is the approach I used to follow. If you have any better approach, you are always welcome with suggestions and updates.
All the best.
Best Regards,
Ravi
PS: Please do not waste your money on bogus web sites, who are selling the questions / useless materials.

http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2012/03/22/how-to-crack-a-sap-certification

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2012
How is the life after SAP Certification?

You need to really experience the life after a SAP Certification. It will not make any much difference for the professionals who are already working in SAP arena. However, the life of the people, who are really anticipating a job in SAP arena or breaking into SAP Consulting world, is with full of anxiety and tension. Taking any SAP certification will surely require considerable amount of time, resources, money, effort and patience. This is particularly true in case if you are going for the certification through training. Some people are lucky enough to know which SAP Certification they are going to do it. However, it is not the case with all the people. They have to first of all enquire which certification is suitable for their future career. This may take a couple of months research in the market. Once they have finalized the Certification to be written, then they will have to plan for the Certification in terms of arranging for the money, taking leave from the current employer (if any), collecting the documents / materials etc. This would further take another two months of time. Then, if they are planning to attend the training, you can add further one month time. Some people are usually eager to give the certification immediately after training. This is good to some extent, because you will be surely in that flow. However, some people are really sceptical whether to go for certification after training or prepare for another month or so and then give the certification. This may also be good to some extent that you can plan well but at the same you will become more and more frustrated and nervous. Because you are reading the same material again and again, this makes you much nervous. By, putting all these items together, it may roughly take six months of your time from the day you decided for Certification in your mind to the day you really attempted the Certification. If the people are not lucky enough to pass for the first time, probably, they may have to add another month or so, which is really nerve wrecking period. You are already giving the Certification for second time, this makes more nervous, because you are investing more amount of money with lot of uncertainty. Therefore, six months of period in a professional’s life is really a big amount of time.

Congratulations!!! You have passed the Certification, you are happy and everybody is happy. However, the real test is going to be started from the next day. The days are more nervous after certification, particularly for the people who are looking for a job / SAP consulting job based on their certification. They might have invested large amount of money and spent 6 months of marathon preparation and effort, but it does not give any guarantee that you are going to get a job in the market. The market has become extremely competitive and employers are more cost intuitive in rolling out the offer letters. You might be attending number of interviews and blowing off each interview with different reasons. In some cases, you are going up to last round, but at the end of the story you are listening story like you have not selected for the position. This type of interviews are really painful to the heart, it will take a week’s time to come out of that disgust. The number of interviews you are going to fail, you would be getting mentally that much stronger.

I am not going to put down the pessimistic views but even I had to undergo all these difficult periods in my life. There could also be some fortunate people who have taken a month’s leave to attend the training and certification, but as soon as the certification, they had to go back to their previous job, which is in a remote area. However, most of the consulting companies are in cities and they may need the people at a shorter notice. Furthermore, nowadays companies are expecting the candidates to attend the interviews by face to face interview. It would be difficult for such candidates every time to come for an interview from such remote area to the cities and attend personal interview. Due to logistics constraints, some of the opportunities might have been evaporated for such candidates.
Some of the people might have resigned their jobs with a hope of getting job after certification and taken a huge amount of loan. For those kinds of people, the life is really unimaginable. Because, the monthly income from salary might have been stopped and the bank might be started charging the EMIs on a monthly basis, otherwise, the interest might be charging to your loan account, if they have taken the loan by pledging gold or valuables. For them the life is astonishingly difficult and every day is a sleepless night because of the amount they have spent on training and certification. They would really praying every day, that any type of SAP job is OK and even they are really ready to compromise in terms of salary. The employers who really can gauge these candidates may benefit out of the salary negotiations. Those candidates who are desperately looking for a break into the market may not be much worried about the salary and ultimately this turns to be a heaven on the part of the employers.
Let us think you have done everything you would like to do in order to get a job. However, unfortunately, fate, market conditions, luck, economy is not in your favour. You have spent lot of amount for training and certification. You have attended few tens of interviews (if not hundreds), still you have not received any job offer from any employer. What are the things you must essentially concentrate after passing for your SAP Certification?

1. Prepare up to date CV

As soon as you have appeared and passed the SAP Certification, take 2 – 3 days rest, which you really deserved, this would make your mind refresh. Then prepare up to date CV, may be you need to emphasize on the following points while preparing your CV

a) Detail your SAP knowledge or skills you have acquired
b) If you have any SAP project experience / end user experience / core team member experience, write down specifically what type of important tasks that you have performed
c) Try to give more weight to SAP Skills than your previous non-SAP skills
d) Always try to show positive attitude and willingness to learn qualities
e) Use your SAP Certification logo that you have received from SAP Education Team

2. Improve the contacts

You do not know who is going to help you or guide you. Everybody is looking like a god in their own way. You must have increased your listening skills for getting best and improved suggestions. You may better use different social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin etc. to your advantage. Particularly, you should utilise the power of Linkedin and update all your achievements, experiences, Certifications etc. Furthermore, try to be in touch with number of HR consultants, who are looking for skilled people. In addition, regularly watch the job sites and different reputed companies’ career sites. It would also beneficial if you could send your CVs to the companies through employee referral rather than directly applying on the website, as thousands of people might be uploading their CV and they might not have any time to look into those. Last but not least, do not forget to give a copy of your CV to training Institute, they might be having some contacts with some of the companies and they should be able to arrange the interviews for you.

3. Read and practice regularly

As soon as you are certified, your responsibility will be increased and you need to improve the habit of reading. There are different sites particularly https://help.sap.com, https://service.sap.com, www.sdn.sap.com, where lot of information and knowledge is available. Continuously reading these important sites would give you an up to date knowledge. This will not only improve the knowledge, but also give an idea what is happening with new technologies in SAP. In addition to this, continuously practice on the system. The better way to practice is to get the documents from SAP Best Practices and configure them. You have configuration, business process documents and presentations for different industries / countries. The more number of times you are configuring them, the confidence will be increased. No experience can replace you a real implementation project. However, these guides will gain you tremendous hands-on experience and keep you ready for next assignment.

4. Keep attending interviews

Interview is a chance to showcase your knowledge and skills and every interview is different in its own way in terms of expectations. There is no need to worry much even if an interview gone wrong. There could be different reasons why an interview has gone wrong and it is not necessarily relating to your skills and knowledge. However, each interview would give you an opportunity to know the expectations and what type of questions are expected. These interviews would give you an opportunity to refresh your knowledge and better prepared for the next interviews. Usually, your confidence will be increased from the interview number one to interview number five or so on, as you might be sensing the level of expectations from the interviews. At some time point, you would reach to a stage that you are going to convince the interviewers. This is almost like driving test, wherein only few lucky people are able to pass in the first time, but others have to try little more times. Perseverance is the key here.

5. Do not leave your passion and hard work

The most important thing you must remember is you are learning not just for job and money, but to keep up your passion on SAP. If you believe in your passion and hard work for SAP, the money will follow. Even after getting the job, you should never lose the same interest and intensity on SAP. This intensity and eagerness to learn will always put you ahead in getting the new skills and knowledge areas. Enthusiasm and passion to learn more and more areas in SAP is the key for success. Please remember that the skills are not developed over night. It takes years and years of continuous hard work to get to an master level. The kind of projects you are working will also take pivotal part in quickly developing skills. Working on few end to end implementation projects may give you more overview of the system than working on few years of support project. Whatever be the project, be pro-active and take every challenge as opportunity and try to help your colleagues and share knowledge. This is the key for your success.

Looking forward for your valuable comments.

Best Regards,
Ravi
Source http://scn.sap.com/community/training-and-education/certification/blog/2012/08/03/how-is-the-life-after-sap-certification
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 10:27am On Aug 20, 2012
FAQ: Different Career Paths in SAP

Posted by Thomas Dulaney in Career Center on Jul 18, 2012 11:49:10 PM

Folks new to SAP often focus on one career path: SAP consultant working for a top tier consulting company. While this is a popular choice, it is by no means the only choice. There are

many ways to categorize the careers in the SAP field, so I'm going to look at the totality of SAP careers through several different filters in an effort to give you a completely

developed picture. These filters are subjective and I'm open to including any that I've missed. Just let me know in the comments!

In each section, I'll break down the categories and try to give the characteristics of each. Not pros and cons, per se, becuase what one person sees as an advantage could be a

disadvantage for someone else. Honestly, this blog should probably be split into several blogs, so I apologize for the length. Here goes:

Specialties: Functional vs. BI vs. Technical (Development) vs. Technical (Basis) vs. Project Management vs. Testing vs. Training

Functional Also known as: configurer, configurator
Specialize in the business processes (Financial, Controlling, Human Resources, Materials Management, Production Planning, etc)
Background: business undergraduate and/or MBA degrees. Additional certifications (CPA, CPIM, etc) are also helpful.
Job duties: conduct workshops to gather requirements, present options, assist in the decision making process, then translate business decisions into SAP configuration. Functional specialists also write functional specifications and design rationales.
Required skills: good social skills, strong written and oral skills, good with public speaking, strong knowledge of functional processes

BI
Also known as: data modeler, reporting specialist
Specialize in converting raw data into reports, dashboards, and graphics for the folks who will analyze the data and make decisions.
Background: business undergraduate and/or MBA degrees. Technical classes in data modelling are helpful. Programming experience can also be a plus.
Job duties: Interview request owner for requirements, translate functional requirements into technical requirements, use various tools to generate reports, dashboards, or other summaries.
Required skills: strong written skills, analytic mind

Technical (Development)
Also known as: developer, ABAPer, "tools" consultant (haven't heard this last one outside of SAP America though), java developer
Use programming to fill gaps in the business process. Create Workflow, Reports, Interfaces, Conversions, Enhancements, and Forms (WRICEF)
Background:Business undergraduate or computer science undergraduate, programming classes or experience required.
Job duties: Translate functional specifications into technical specifications. Translate technical specifications into code.
Required skills: strong analytical skills, programming experience
Note: Conversion is a huge part of implementations and typically the conversion function does continue to some degree post go-live. Often conversion is large enough to be considered separately from the rest of development during implementations.

Technical (Basis) Also known as: Basis, Netweaver System Administrator, SAP Admin
Administer SAP systems: installation, infrastructure design, backup & recovery, high availability, networking, etc
Background: undergraduate degree. Operating System and/or Database certifications helpful
Job duties: Gather technical requirements, present options, assist in the decision making process, then translate technical business decisions into SAP infrastructure.
Required skills: Strong written and oral skills, strong analytical/troubleshooting skills, ability to work under pressure

Technical (Security) Also known as: Security, Information Assurance specialist
Design security, create and administer users
Background: undergraduate degree. Experience with OS/DB user administration helpful.
Job duties: Gather security requirements, design segregation of duties strategy, then translate security decisions into SAP security configuration.
Required skills: good interview skills (to interview employees and determine requirements), strong written and oral skills

Project Management Also known as: PM, Team Lead
Manage scope, cost, schedule, risk, quality, resources, and communications.
Background: business undergraduate and/or MBA degrees. Often start as Functional. PMI or other Project Management certification helpful.
Job duties: Manage scope, cost, schedule, risk, quality, resources, and communications.Basically, attend a ridiculous number of meetings and do whatever it takes to keep the project moving forward on schedule and on budget at the required quality.
Required skills: Excellent social and negotiation skills, strong written and oral skills, good with public speaking, strong knowledge of project management theory and practice

Testing Also known as: testers, Quality Control
Test the processes either in an automated or manual fashion. Report the results to project management. Coordinate issue resolution with necessary configurers, developers, etc
Background: undergraduate
Job duties: Organize testing, conduct testing, report test results, follow up on test resolution.
Required skills: strong written and oral skills, strong detail orientation

Training Also known as: trainer, Organizational Change Management
Responsible for creating end user training materials and delivering training prior to go-live
Background: business undergraduate and/or MBA degrees. Additional certifications (CPA, CPIM, etc) are also helpful.
Job duties: Work with functionals to understand processes as configured and create training materials, stage data and exercieses, conduct training
Required skills: Excellent public speaking/training skills, very strong written and oral skills

Implementation vs. Support
Implementation
Implementations involve gathering requirements and implementing those requirements.Folks in implementations deal with massive change to an organization.
Stress level is high, especially near go-live.
Implementations often require work at nights and on weekends. Frequently implementations take place on a 4/10 work week, meaning Monday through Thursday, 10 hours per day but Friday is off.
Consultants and internal company personnel work together to determine requirements and implement changes. All of the specialties from the first section are typically present.

Support "Business as usual", Production Support
Limited change, usually modifications to existing processes. Support does involve change, however, as change requests are made and approved.Since the system is live, production problems have extremely high status.
Support personnel tend to work more normal business hours (exception, Basis folks typically work when others don't, so weekend, night, and holiday work hours should be expected for Basis personnel)
Internal personnel only for the most part. Sometimes spot consultants are brought in for specific issues, but in general all support is handled in-house.
All of the specialties from the first section are typically present, but sometimes greatly reduced as compared to implementation (for example, project management team, testing, and training team might be much smaller post-golive)

Consulting vs. In-house/contractors
Consulting
Employment Status: Consultants are not employees of the company implementing SAP. They are brought in for their expertise, both SAP and non-SAP expertise.
Compensation: Base Salary is typically about the same, perhaps a bit higher than in-house, but consultants typically receive bonuses which brings overall compensation higher than in-house. (Note: this is true in the United States. I have seen some data that indicates that consultants in other countries actually make less money than in-house counterparts. I've not been able to make much sense of this data.)

Home-life: high degree of travel. Typically away from home 4 to 5 days per week. Travel expenses are typically reimbursed and so consultants typically eat well and get to live perhaps a higher lifestyle than in-house counterparts. Travel can be difficult for family, however, and divorce rates are typically higher for consultants than for in-house counterparts.
Professional Respect: High degree of respect is typical from company management. If a consultant and an in-house employee disagree, often management will side with the consultant. Projects can be more easily be "sold" to management by consultants (especially consulting partners). Consultants with equivalent skills and job responsibilities often have higher reach into the implementing company.

Type of work: Consultants typically are involved only in implementations. This can be great if you primarily enjoy design work. It can be frustrating if you like to see the progression and "perfection" of a system over time. No "ownership" of the system long term.
Career progression: Consultants typically have to become project managers and salesmen in order to make partner in a stereotypical consulting organization. Early career skills (functional, technical, etc) often don't relate to the skills which enable success in late career (project management, salesmanship). Consultants *can* specialize and stay in their specialty but compensation eventually stalls. Consultants who try and miss partner can be frustrated for long periods of time or even be forced out of their consulting firm (up or out). Making partner can actually increase work load and stress and is sometimes seen as a mixed blessing.

Requirements to start: Generally consulting companies requires at least one if not two or three complete implementations before they'll hire someone, although some companies recruit the "best and the brightest" directly from undergraduate and MBA programs.

In-house
Employment Status: In-house folks are typically employees of the company implementing SAP, although I include contractors as in house as well. Contractors are hired to conduct long-term support of a system and are typically treated similar to employees.

Compensation: In general, overall compensation is lower for in-house employees and contractors as compared to consultants, but see comment in the consulting section.

Home life: Typically require little to no travel. Working hours will match those of consultants (but won't get consultant type compensation) during the implementation but will return to "normal" post go-live for long term support. In-house employees and contractors typically have "normal" home-lives, which is generally easier for those with children.

Professional Respect: At times, in-house employees struggle for respect of management. If a consultant and an in-house employee disagree, often management will side with the consultant. Projects can be more easily be "sold" to management by consultants.

Type of work: Employees/contractors do both implementation and long term support of system post go-live.

Career progression: In-house employees have the opportunity to advance within the company to become management and senior management over time. Contractors are barred from this type of progression unless they become employees. Contractors typically have one job and don't change over long periods of time. In-house employees who miss key promotions can be frustrated for long periods of time. Employees also have the option of staying in one job for along period of time but at the cost of career and salary stagnation.

Requirements to start: Generally companies draw from in-house non-SAP support staff to hire SAP support staff although they do also hire experienced folks from outside. To start from an inside position, you'll generally have worked for the company for a few years as an end user or in some related capacity. To start from outside, companies will expect you to have implemented SAP either as a consultant or as in-house employee at another company. Companies generally do not recruit from undergraduate or MBA programs directly into their support organization.

Working for a Consulting Company vs. being an Independent Consultant
Working for a Consulting Company
Somewhat protected from economic downturns, able to collect paycheck while "on the bench"/"on the beach" (in between assignments)
Independents argue that consulting companies have a history of cutting folks loose the minute the market gets tight. My observation is that top tier companies will hold on to consultants for 6 months to a year where smaller companies have less ability/inclination to hold on to consultants for that long when times are tight. Your mileage may vary on this one.
Independents argue that higher compensation of being independent allows you to ride out the patches in between assignments as easily as if a company were paying you to be on the bench. Your ability to budget for these downtimes makes the difference here.

Go where you're told, when you're told.
Less responsibility to get yourself busy, but less ability to affect type and duration of assignments.More likely to end up at a customer as a bad fit if management doesn't know your skill set or is incompetent. It's possible to get "pigeonholed" into the same type of assignment over and over.

Since "beach/bench" time effectively kills your bonus, some view the inability find your own work extremely frustrating.
Paid vacation and benefits
Company pays for training
Stuck with whatever training/equipment the company chooses to provide.
Independent Consultant

FREEDOM. Free to choose when to work and for whom to work and rate of compensation.
Requires more diligence with money.
Vacation, sick and training time directly affects the bottom line and can encourage some to limit those times.
Cost of insurance/benefits are higher.
Compensation can be much higher since there is no company to skim profit off the top.
Since number of hours worked directly affects compensation, the temptation to work far more than the industry average 2000 hours per year by taking on multiple clients or just putting in long hours for a single client can be irresistible.
Responsible for your own equipment.

Training is a double whammy. You have to pay to attend and you lose money because you're not billing a customer.
Requires more time to deal with paperwork for invoicing and expenses.
Different customers can be better or worse at paying in a timely fashion.

There are more points to be made under each of the categories, but this should be enough to get a discussion going. All combinations here are possible. For example, some companies have a new functionality task groups so you can be an in-house functional person dedicated to new implementations. The great majority of in-house folks do post-go-live support and the vast majority of consultants concentrate on new implementation, but there are no hard and fast rules.

Please ask for clarification if I've muddled anything or bring up points I've missed/covered badly.

Best regards,
--Tom
[url]
http://scn.sap.com/community/career-center/blog/2012/07/18/faq-different-career-paths-in-sap[/url]
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 10:31am On Aug 20, 2012
Since you decided to go into SAP get ready to read for very long hours.

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by jingla101: 3:09pm On Aug 28, 2012
You can check out this SAP training course, its the most affordable I've seen around:

http://trainingport.mindflash.com/Trainee/#/Marketplace/Course/145442108
Re: About Sap? by jingla101: 3:10pm On Aug 28, 2012
You can check out this SAP training course, its the most affordable I've seen around, about N45,000 in Naira:

Re: About Sap? by jingla101: 3:16pm On Aug 28, 2012
Congrats Bakare. For others that want to start a career in SAP, they can check out the link below,its the most affordable SAP course out there I could find, about N45,000. Wish you all the best:

Re: About Sap? by jingla101: 3:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
You can check out this SAP training course, its the most affordable I've seen around, about N45,000 in Naira:

(1) (2) (3) ... (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) ... (48) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Salary Structure? / Welcome To My Office / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 190
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.