Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,354 members, 7,812,005 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 06:06 AM

About Sap? - Career (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / About Sap? (144835 Views)

Lets Talk About Sap!!! / Knowledge Is Power! Lets Talk About SAP! / What Do You Know About Sap (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (48) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: About Sap? by markos: 9:42am On Feb 24, 2013
Certification was the big thing in the 90s, that was the key to untold wealth and riches in the SAP world, these days, times have changed, certification is so devalued, every tom, dick and harry has SAP certification, not trying to water down anyone achievements in here, its hard work to pass that certification, these days its all about experience, lifecycle implementation, there are so many business aspects, processes certification will hardly teach you, real life situations, trouble shootings, i once suffered from my lack of configuration experience early in my career but i just kept on going, even working in obscure parts of the UK just to get the experience, i have been just as frustrated as some people in here, the key word is not to give up!!, SAP implementations in Nigeria, not really clued in that department but i suggest multinational companies usually outsource this to foreign partners who usually come with their consultants, SAP world is still a closed society to speak, any profession that is lucrative is likely not to let people in, SAP will test your willpower, preserverance becomes the key, not giving up, i have been working with SAP for nearly 14 years in Europe and the UK, i have come along way, maybe now, i can see the fruits of my hardwork, it is the dream of every consultant to have companies or consultancies chasing them rather than the other way round, this is exactly how i built my SAP network, at least 100 SAP recruitment agencies have my profile, i have built an extensive network in linkedin, this has started working for me now, it takes time, dont give up, if you do, then i will suggest you are in it just for the money!!!!

2 Likes

Re: About Sap? by greatgeo(m): 6:16am On Feb 25, 2013
@markros

Thank you for the encouragment as to what it take to learn SAP sir am a collage fresh graduate of electrical/eletronics in my final year I measure in telecoms I can repair computers interms of hardware and solfwears then some electronics and I love these things I want to go into fulltime in telecom how do I start?where do I start? Where can I do some intership that can help to expand in the of computer,eletronics and telecoms .what area would you advice me to follow to get the basic knowledge so I can do something I love and be happy sir? Thank you sir
Re: About Sap? by markos: 11:01am On Feb 25, 2013
greatgeo: @markros

Thank you for the encouragment as to what it take to learn SAP sir am a collage fresh graduate of electrical/eletronics in my final year I measure in telecoms I can repair computers interms of hardware and solfwears then some electronics and I love these things I want to go into fulltime in telecom how do I start?where do I start? Where can I do some intership that can help to expand in the of computer,eletronics and telecoms .what area would you advice me to follow to get the basic knowledge so I can do something I love and be happy sir? Thank you sir

Hi, well if you go through the entire SAP forum, you will find out where your skills could be used in SAP, goodluck!
Re: About Sap? by markos: 9:30am On Feb 26, 2013
top 10 myths about SAP certification!!! hope this helps people who are any illusion that passing SAP certification is the road to untold riches!!

SAP Certification has helped many individuals to achieve their career goals. Many consultants have achieved decent breakthrough in SAP arena or updated their current skill set. SAP Certification is not the ultimate the thing in your career. There is definitely something beyond this. By saying this, I would like to point out some of the myths regarding the SAP Certification. I am in no way disputing the value of SAP Certification and it has its own merits, as I have done 6 different certifications from SAP. These are purely my personal opinion and I would like to invite if there are any contradicting views. There might have been many websites discussed regarding this topic. Any overlapping with my thoughts is just coincidental.

1. SAP is Certification will give definite job guarantee

Many people are with the intention; passing SAP Certification will give them a definite job. SAP Certification has helped many people, particularly in the past, to achieve their goals in their career and cherished their dreams. That does not mean that SAP Certification will give guaranteed job for everybody who has passed. Having said this, people going for SAP Certification, it is recommended to have the domain knowledge in particular functional area. In the initial booming days of SAP, many people are able to achieve the jobs based on SAP Certification, but those days are gone now. The number of certified consultants got increased day by day in the market and the companies are more matured to look for practical experience rather than just a certification. If the people think that just passing SAP certification will give a guaranteed job, then they may have to rethink.

2. SAP Certification will give you definite & good ROI

There is no standard yardstick that every SAP Certification will give you a good Return on Investment (ROI). SAP Certification might have helped many when they are intending to jump into SAP Consulting Career or a job in SAP market. Nowadays, the skills are getting redundant very quickly; hence, each certification may not give you good amount of ROI. There are many people invested huge amounts into SAP Certification by taking bank loans, but miserably failed to get any returns out of it. Please do not be under the impression, if you go to SAP Training for 5 weeks and pass the Certification you may recoup the investment within a year or so. It may definitely not happen in all the cases. You should be prepared to see the other side of the coin.

3. In order to get a SAP Job - SAP Certification is a must

There are many people in the market who are non certified, earning good amount of money than the Certified Consultants. Therefore, Certification is not a must for you to fetch a job in the market. However, if there are two people shortlisted with the similar skills and experience, probably, in such situations, the Certification will give you an edge. Otherwise, the customers are looking for the people who can effectively deliver the goods without certification. It is not my intention to tell that the certified people are incompetent. You will find number of knowledgeable people in Certified Community. You will also find many people who believe they are extraordinary in their own area of SAP, but failed when it comes to passing SAP Certification. Then they start blaming the SAP Certification itself or the people who have passed the SAP Certification (LOL).

4. With SAP Certification - you will be successful in interview

SAP Certification courses are structured in systematic way, hence, it gives you very good fundamental knowledge regarding the concepts. They would be really helpful in order to pass your SAP Certification, if you go through the curricula in a religious manner. However, this will not give you any guarantee that you are going to be successful in an interview. Reason could be the interviews might have been conducted on different parameters to see your overall skills, but not just your Certification. Certification may keep you in better position to explain the fundamental knowledge gained during the course of Certification, but it may not meet all the expectations of an interview. Even with certification under your belt, you do not even know what type of questions the interviewer is asking for.

5. With SAP Certification - you will deliver the customer commitments

SAP Certification is a good starting point in your journey of career. It would give you good knowledge about the functionality of the system. Particularly, if you are fresher in SAP area, it would take some years to understand complete end to end business processes. By the time, you might have completed few projects. But even you will feel that you are missing the overall view of such complexity in the system. Probably, SAP Certification will give you knowledge in a particular area. Whereas, SAP is tightly integrated system between different modules, so you may not be able to visualise the total picture. With number of projects under your belt over a period of time, you will gain such high level knowledge. If your current role expects to go beyond your certification to deliver the commitments from other modules, you may feel the pain. But, definitely, you need to take this an opportunity to learn new things.

6. SAP Certification will give you "high-paying" jobs

There is a misconception that as soon as you are certified by SAP, you will get “high paying” job immediately. There are number of certified consultants failed to make an entry into SAP area. In my opinion, they are mainly unsuccessful because they have viewed SAP as a 25 days course. It only helped them to put that SAP Certification in their in CV in bold and italic. Except very few lucky people, many number of certified consultants are really struggled a lot to make an entry into SAP consulting world, including me not an exception to this. If somebody is thinking that SAP Certification will give you an immediate “high paying” SAP job, probably, you are under the misconception.

7. SAP Certification is an ultimate thing in your career

Many people think that doing SAP Certification is ultimate thing in life. When you are on a learning spree, SAP Certification is just a negligible part in your total career. If you have enough financial resource and attitude, you would see yourself with a new SAP Certification every month. At the end of the story, SAP Certification is just a multiple choice question test. If your fundamentals are clear, I do not see any reason in not clearing the SAP Certification. The SAP Certification you have done may become redundant in next couple of years. I have done my first certification in SAP FICO 4.6C in 2003, but if you now a days, no customer is using this system. Unfortunately, some people stop learning new things and pretend themselves as if they are the masters in everything. But, as a professional, you should keep your learning habits on for your entire career. Do not just look for SAP Certification, try to think beyond that.

8. SAP Certification may give you good jobs in your area

I have read this point somewhere in an article. The first thing as an SAP Consultant you should visualise yourself as a “travel freak”. Certification may not always give you the job in your nearby area. If you are in offshore location, probably, you may get job in your preferred location, as every major offshore city is flooded with SAP consulting companies. No client will be intending to pay you money unless you go to onsite and deliver the expectations. There may be a small exception to this for the people who are supporting SAP systems through remote support. But, as an SAP consultant, you should always pack your bags, away from home, eat food whatever you get and sleep wherever you can. If you think your SAP Certification will get you a good 9 to 5 job in your area, it may not be true always.

9. With SAP Certification you may start doing Contract Jobs

Contracting concept you mostly see in Western countries. This concept is getting familiar in Offshore / Eastern countries too. Contracting jobs are lucrative at the same time they are strenuous when compared to permanent jobs. By saying this, I am in no way demeaning the importance of the Permanent Jobs. Many people think that just by completing SAP Certification, they can land up in Contract jobs. But, the things always will not work in that way. The expectations in Contract Jobs are much higher; therefore, you need to check your calibre to handle the roles. No Certification will help in delivering the results within the deadly time lines.

10. Learn SAP only for Certification and Job

Many people think that learn SAP for Certification and get a job. If you are thinking to learn SAP just for Certification and job only, then I would suggest you may better skip to learn SAP. Learn SAP with passion and this passion should drive your career. I would believe everybody should maintain the passion throughout their careers. It is easy in theory but very difficult in practice. At certain age in your career, it may not be possible to maintain the same amount of passion in your career, due to socio, economic and physical reasons. But, by that time, you would have become a master in your own areas within SAP. Learn SAP with passion, if you are only looking SAP for Certification and Job, probably, SAP is not the right path for you.

1 Like

Re: About Sap? by gbemiady: 3:08pm On Mar 04, 2013
Am an SAP Basis and SRM consultant certified in both.Gone through some part of the thread. Interesting! Job well done. Keep it up
Re: About Sap? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Mar 07, 2013
@Bakareaat
Most of the people advising you are those with a lot of real life experience. I will only suggest that you heed their advice. Even if you are the most experience person on a project, if you dont have a good communication/people skills and team skills, you definitely loose the job or booted out of the project (just happen to one of my team member - the best in his area (MM,SCM & FICO) but was booted out of the project immediately they got a replacement for him).

I develop the interest in SAP 4 years ago after i read this same thread and the advice given by a lot of people (Markos and the rest) especially in the earlier part of the thread. I have 3 certificate in different area of SAP but in all my project, no one has ever ask me to show them my certificate. Moreover, you can read and pass the certification but that doesn't guarantee that you know it.

Also, look at it this way, will you allow a driver that you met on the street to drive your 6million naira car even though the driver have a drivers license? I bet that the first question you will ask him is how many years of experience he got. Driver license is the last thing that you will enquire about. SAP implementation is a bit expensive and you will not select your consultant based of who got certification or not.

Networking and the sheer determination is the most important thing (based on my few years in SAP) that needed to survive. Moreover, you need to learn a lot from others (those that you know in real life and those that you even met on this thread). Also, try to have a mentor if possible. Someone that will guide you in your career.

What is out there is totally different from our personal expectation.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 5:45pm On Mar 07, 2013
i know that this person is talking from another world.Thank you very much i appeciate
Taiwo
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 5:48pm On Mar 07, 2013
Please what advice will you give to someone moving out to europe for further sap training and intership?
Please this for all gurus in the house
Thank You
Re: About Sap? by nnaiah: 7:45pm On Mar 07, 2013
BAKAREAAT: i know that this person is talking from another world.Thank you very much i appreciate
Taiwo

Something is certainly wrong somewhere?

2 Likes

Re: About Sap? by OilCabal: 5:13am On Mar 08, 2013
Good evening house, I am taking SAP certification soon and also planning to move back to Nigeria to start an SAP consultancy firm. is this a good idea? Thanks.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 4:19pm On Mar 08, 2013
Please dont bother to come back.SAP Consulting is monopolised by foreign firms.most of the coy bring in expert outside the country.
please dont be deceive.most coys in nigeria cannot afford the cost of this software and the few coys believe it is better to give the
contracts to expert from abroad.for the multinational coys ,their parent coys will bring their own people.only may by chance nigerians will
join them as support etc.i dont know why you dont stay in abroad and come when you have projects here or when you are invited for a chat
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 4:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
IF AT ALL YOU WANT TO COME ASK MARKOS FOR BETTER ADVICE ,THE HAVE YEARS OF EXPERIENCE ,THE GUY IS MY MENTOR AND HE LIVES ABROAD AND HE DOES
SAP JOB ALL OVER EUROPE.
Re: About Sap? by depoty: 8:55am On Mar 10, 2013
Greetings to you All...

SAP Configuration Guide is a wonderful package for young and experience consultants who are aspiring to be come a consultant and make there career to the top, the configuration guide comes in CDs pack and is in PDF files.. The material is design by SAP-ERPTRAINING.

We make shipment to any country via FedEx.

SAP-ERPTRAINING also give IDES access at a very affordable price.

Bellow are the Modules available:
SAP HR,FI/CO,PS,MM/WM,SD,ABAP.

The package is in Cds pack which include Certification Questions and Answer,which guarantee your PASS,Interview Questions and Answer 200 Q and A,and many more. We take you by hand in the configuration pack and you can be perfect within short period of time.
We also have a Certification Q and A which would help you at your certification Exams.

You can contact us for more details Email: info@sap-erptraining.com visit our web. www.sap-erptraining.com
Re: About Sap? by markos: 2:44pm On Mar 12, 2013
@BAKAREAAT: dont give up! i know it could be frustrating, every SAP consultant has been through that cycle of hardship, actually that is when you know good things are about to happen! i have been 6 months out of work before, know a few consultants with the same situation, is your linkedin profile up to date?? have yuou tried the likes of careerjet? jobserve? planet recruit? i will suggest you need to build a good profile on these websites, it is likely a client could sponsor your visa, you could certainly look at other African countries like South Africa, Angola, even the middle east have loads of SAP opportunities, you should channel you energy into doing some research, getting CV up to date, networking on linkedin, building contacts, surely an opportunity will definitely come, I have explained in previous threads why it is might be difficult to get an SAP contract in Nigeria, what these multi-national companies do is outsource the implementation partners to foreign firms, usually Indian who bring in their own experts, i mean, think about the perks, daily rates of up to 1000 US dollars a day depending on expertise, housing, expenses, flights, maybe a bonus, so these people are highly unlikely to let others come in, especially Nigerian consultants, this does not apply to everyone, there are certainly many Nigerians SAP consultants with good project experience and have good jobs in Nigeria, you have built your platform which is the certification, now build on that, i dont have any certification and i dont intend to take the exams unless it becomes a major requirement, i do have over 14 years experience, this is what gets the roles, not pieces of paper, remember SAP certification is multiple choice questions, answer some correctly, pass mark like 50%, you are in there! does this offer you real life experience? no! if certifcations were based on real life situations, like a would be consultant actually taking part in a project through its life cycle phase, that will be a better judge of a consultant capabilities, maybe SAP need to change their exam format, too many people are passing the exams, so it seems it has become almost worthless if you ask me, back in the early 90s, an SAP certification was to kill for! pass and you got an instant job, same with MCP, MCSE, CISCO, internet boom era, that period has sadly come to pass, real life begins

hope this helps!!!
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 4:26pm On Mar 14, 2013
Thank you sir,markos
God bless you
Re: About Sap? by crispgg: 4:16pm On Mar 31, 2013
Just found this on linkedin.

HR Consultant Opportunity

If you are SAP HCM certified, with or without project experience. Please send your CV to info@serveconsulting.com
Re: About Sap? by crispgg: 4:59pm On May 03, 2013
For SD/MM Consultants, found this under the vacancies section

C2G Consulting, one of the SAP Partners in Nigeria is recruiting for an SD/MM Consultant.

https://www.nairaland.com/1277926/opening-sap-sd-mm-consultant
Re: About Sap? by sapmaterial: 5:36pm On May 03, 2013
We have for aspiring SAP consultant SAP self training kit which comprises of ebooks,Videos and SAP Offline server(Sandbox). we guarantee having sound knowledge and core technical skills with this materials for the following modules

SAP BASIS
SAP SD
SAP BW/BI
SAP SOLUTION MANAGER
SAP MM
SAP FICO
SAP HR
SAP ABAP
SAP CRM
SAP MM
SAP SOA
SAP-NETWEAVER
SAP HANA
SAP SRM

Email:gbemiady@yahoo.com
Re: About Sap? by Awolowo86: 1:33am On May 11, 2013
@ Oga Kiwi, you have really done a whole lot here and I cannot but commend your honesty and sincerity in making sure that everything is in the open for as many as want to catch it. God bless your soul. My area of interest is FLYING, I have always wanted to be a pilot from childhood because I love globe trotting and taking responsibilties and split seconds decision. But my questions are these-
1) Which career pathway will you suggest for a rookie in that area, I don't have a PPL, a CPL nor an NVR, though I read loads of aviation magazines, newsletters and books.
2) What's your take on the Open skies program of British airways.
3) What do you suggest to an individual that plans to sponsor himself for the program go about it especially in the area of financing.
4) Do you know of any relevant links or airlines that train individual as pilots so as to integrate them into their airline(if such programs still exist).
Will be looking forward to your post sir ohh...
God bless you.
Re: About Sap? by amenamen1010: 9:57am On May 13, 2013
Good day all
Is there any sap consultant working in SA. I will like to get a job there but don't know how to go about.
Please kindly assist in d following: most common recruitment site for sap roles, what type of work permit required for British and nigerian citizenship, and average daily rates (contract roles)
Thank you
Re: About Sap? by kolaide(m): 4:37pm On May 13, 2013
hmmmmm... i came across SAP when i was offer a new employment in an organization that just installed SAP. Ever since my quest to really know much and also getting the relevant materials need to boost my performance both on the job and also enriching my career path. @kiwi,markos,bakareaat,etc. i will strongly need your invaluable support in achieving this great task. Firstly, i will appreciate it the link that was humble offered by kiwi can be send to me via my e-mail:ajani_kola@yahoo.com. Also, i am from the accounting background but with relevant working experience with various ERP,but i found SAP rather interesting and above all live touching. I will want to start with the functional aspect for now and to major on SAP SD and MM. I really need you guru to lead me in the path of SAP.

Thanks

kola
Re: About Sap? by kolaide(m): 4:46pm On May 13, 2013
as from now i now have a reason to visit nairaland on a daily basis!
Re: About Sap? by Nuke: 6:36pm On May 13, 2013
Hello my Ogas, @kiwi992, markos, bakareaat, nnaiah and other contributors on this thread. Thanks for all you have shared and what you are yet to share. I just found out about this SAP and looking to get into the circle. I have a B.Sc in Computing and recently graduated with MBA oil and gas management. I would like to ask which of these SAP modules you believe would be best for me. I saw something on oil and gas and somethings on consultant and other roles which I am yet to understand how it all works. My company is not using SAP, so i'm only thinking of it to get to break into the multinationals or become a consultant on my own. I would also appreciate those links to the training materials. You can kindly help me send to tmiddlecom2@yahoo.com Abeg oo, I be una broda ooo, make una helep me. grin Thanks Again and God bless.
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:03pm On May 14, 2013
Advice:
If you are interested in SAP OIL and Gas fine go for OIL AND GAS MODULE CALLED C_T10G20_65 OR find out the latest version released 66 or thereabout
Thank You
Taiwo
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2013
Please you can contact me on this materials 08060146731
Re: About Sap? by depoty: 6:33am On May 15, 2013
amenamen1010: Good day all
Is there any sap consultant working in SA. I will like to get a job there but don't know how to go about.
Please kindly assist in d following: most common recruitment site for sap roles, what type of work permit required for British and nigerian citizenship, and average daily rates (contract roles)
Thank you

Hello Nairalander,

You can send me an email or call me..+27746593311. Info@sap-erptraining.com
Wish yu all the best..
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 10:12am On May 15, 2013
SAP WILL GIVE A DEFINITE JOB GUARANTEE BUT THE OPPOTUNITIES FOR REAL LIFE SCENARIO IS NOT IN NIGERIA RIGHT NOW EXCEPT IF YOU ARE LUCK TO WORK IN A COY THAT IMPLEMENT THIS SOFTWARE.Although with time the opportunities will come gradually and we must not also forget about majorly SAP is implemented by coys that have money and they can afford to send their staff or whoever they want to train abroad and so my advice is for those that want their career to be fastrack ,they should not just spent money on training without life scenario ,although you can get certified even you made 100% .the chances
of getting jobs is very very slim but if you travel abroad us,canada,uk ,india better.i will advice candidate before paying so much for training here find out where you can do the training abroad plus intership experience .
I will also advice strong to think twice of going to india although training is cheap but most of the SAP CONSULTANT look fo opportunities abroad
Re: About Sap? by BAKAREAAT(m): 11:24am On May 16, 2013
Very well, there is A Module on SAP Audit Certification
Called SAP TECHNICAL AUDIT See content of course Below.
Course Content
◾Audit Approach
◾Introduction to Security
◾Security-Authorization Concept
◾Security Administration
◾Authorization Documentation
◾Transaction Security
◾Table Security
◾Program Security
◾Profile Generator
◾SAP Governance, Risk, and Compliance (GRC)
◾Interfaces and Conversions
◾Computer Center Management System (CCMS)
◾SAP Solution Manager
◾System Profiles
◾Job Scheduling
◾ABAP Development Workbench
◾Transport Management System (TMS)
◾Database Management
◾Database Monitoring
◾SAP NetWeaver
◾Infrastructure

Thank You
Taiwo

Copyright © 2011
Re: About Sap? by webstradamus: 7:29pm On May 18, 2013
Any Portal guys in the house? Worked with the new KMC features in NetWeaver 7.3? I'm looking for tips/ideas on how best to implement a knowledge base to provide better user support using KM in NetWeaver Portal 7.3

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (48) (Reply)

Nigeria Police Salary Structure? / Welcome To My Office / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.