Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse (16580 Views)

Can A Non Muslim Use The Prayer Mat? / An Islamic View on Solar and Lunar Eclipse / Shortening The Prayer During A Journey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 4:16pm On Nov 01, 2013
These clowns again?? Buhahaha. Pray on brothers! Pray on

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Hadone(m): 4:17pm On Nov 01, 2013
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by FlamingGun: 4:37pm On Nov 01, 2013
FOLKTALES cheesy
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by mohammad11: 4:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
Jazakallahu khairan for this post. It enlights
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Mustay(m): 4:50pm On Nov 01, 2013
Q41 vs 37:
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ اللَّيْلُ وَالنَّهَارُ وَالشَّمْسُ وَالْقَمَرُ ۚ لَا تَسْجُدُوا لِلشَّمْسِ وَلَا لِلْقَمَرِ وَاسْجُدُوا لِلَّهِ الَّذِي خَلَقَهُنَّ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ

And of His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or to the moon, but prostate to Allah , who created them, if it should be Him that you worship.

Q36:41
لَا الشَّمْسُ يَنْبَغِي لَهَا أَنْ تُدْرِكَ الْقَمَرَ وَلَا اللَّيْلُ سَابِقُ النَّهَارِ ۚ وَكُلٌّ فِي فَلَكٍ يَسْبَحُونَ

It is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming.

Q29:61 - 63
وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ مَنْ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَسَخَّرَ الشَّمْسَ وَالْقَمَرَ لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ ۖ فَأَنَّىٰ يُؤْفَكُونَ

If you asked them, "Who created the heavens and earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" they would surely say, " Allah ." Then how are they deluded?

اللَّهُ يَبْسُطُ الرِّزْقَ لِمَنْ يَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ وَيَقْدِرُ لَهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

Allah extends provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts for him. Indeed Allah is, of all things, Knowing.

وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ مَنْ نَزَّلَ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مَاءً فَأَحْيَا بِهِ الْأَرْضَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَوْتِهَا لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ ۚ قُلِ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ ۚ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

And if you asked them, "Who sends down rain from the sky and gives life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness?" they would surely say " Allah ." Say, "Praise to Allah "; but most of them do not reason.

5 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by hayubee(m): 4:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
Maasha Allah
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Pattey(m): 4:55pm On Nov 01, 2013
Baba_Eleko: It's so beautiful how the Quran is able to cover all aspects of mankind. Islam is truly a divine religion. Allahu Akbar!!

Oga, this has nothing to do with religion. It is pure science. . . You can add astrology if you like, but definitely not religion!

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by hayubee(m): 4:56pm On Nov 01, 2013
Mustay: Q41 vs 37:
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ اللَّيْلُ وَالنَّهَارُ وَالشَّمْسُ وَالْقَمَرُ ۚ لَا تَسْجُدُوا لِلشَّمْسِ وَلَا لِلْقَمَرِ وَاسْجُدُوا لِلَّهِ الَّذِي خَلَقَهُنَّ إِنْ كُنْتُمْ إِيَّاهُ تَعْبُدُونَ

And of His signs are the night and day and the sun and moon. Do not prostrate to the sun or to the moon, but prostate to Allah , who created them, if it should be Him that you worship.

Q36:41
لَا الشَّمْسُ يَنْبَغِي لَهَا أَنْ تُدْرِكَ الْقَمَرَ وَلَا اللَّيْلُ سَابِقُ النَّهَارِ ۚ وَكُلٌّ فِي فَلَكٍ يَسْبَحُونَ

It is not allowable for the sun to reach the moon, nor does the night overtake the day, but each, in an orbit, is swimming.

Q29:61 - 63
وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ مَنْ خَلَقَ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضَ وَسَخَّرَ الشَّمْسَ وَالْقَمَرَ لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ ۖ فَأَنَّىٰ يُؤْفَكُونَ

If you asked them, "Who created the heavens and earth and subjected the sun and the moon?" they would surely say, " Allah ." Then how are they deluded?

اللَّهُ يَبْسُطُ الرِّزْقَ لِمَنْ يَشَاءُ مِنْ عِبَادِهِ وَيَقْدِرُ لَهُ ۚ إِنَّ اللَّهَ بِكُلِّ شَيْءٍ عَلِيمٌ

Allah extends provision for whom He wills of His servants and restricts for him. Indeed Allah is, of all things, Knowing.

وَلَئِنْ سَأَلْتَهُمْ مَنْ نَزَّلَ مِنَ السَّمَاءِ مَاءً فَأَحْيَا بِهِ الْأَرْضَ مِنْ بَعْدِ مَوْتِهَا لَيَقُولُنَّ اللَّهُ ۚ قُلِ الْحَمْدُ لِلَّهِ ۚ بَلْ أَكْثَرُهُمْ لَا يَعْقِلُونَ

And if you asked them, "Who sends down rain from the sky and gives life thereby to the earth after its lifelessness?" they would surely say " Allah ." Say, "Praise to Allah "; but most of them do not reason.
Allahu Akbar
Allah has already replied dem 1400 yrs ago

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by leksgcfr(m): 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2013
shewantsme: I would have love to say this is a stupid idea and go further to make a case on how we still believe the crap written in these so-called books even with abundance of knowledge we have today but I won't say any of these to avoid being banned. I won't.

I will just pretend and say this makes perfect sense. So guys, this makes perfect sense. Let's pray.

Guy you are smart gan ooo. Saying it and trying to avoid saying it. Chai.

BTW, prayer is an option for whoever desires. Though am not a muslim, I 'd rather praise God and reflect on the second coming of the Lord.
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Cahmegga: 5:48pm On Nov 01, 2013
freecocoa: Why does one need to pray about eclipse? I no even understand.

Lool...How u go understand?! Become a muslim and see what beautiful things await u!
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Nobody: 5:51pm On Nov 01, 2013
No problem,we the xtians will also join you guys,theme: pray your way through eclipse crusade
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Cahmegga: 5:54pm On Nov 01, 2013
0monnakoda: I say the following without any disrespect at all.
I often hear many muslims say the Prophet did A and so I must do A. I believe often this does not have to be the case. The fact that he performed a certain procedure during a certain eclipse does not mean ALL MUSLIMS MUST do the same procedure during ALL Eclipses. One example I see is this practice of wearing short trousers or garments several inches shy of the ground. There is an element of colonialisation in this approach.
The prophet was an Arab who lived in the desert I don't see the sense in wearing short trousers in cold countries

Back to the eclipse issue. Without disputing anything can anyone explain why it is necessary to follow a certain procedure EVERYTIME there is an ECLIPSE.
WHY is this necessary?
Is there any benefit,what?
Any disadvantage,what?
Many people introduce a lot of superstitious practises into Islam which seems like some form of idolatry

The last prophet of God, Prophet Mohammad (S.A.W) said in his last sermon...

"I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray"

So, we muslims do not want to go astray, so we follow his teachings and actions...u may not know how helpful thses actions are to a muslim until u become a muslim yourself.

All the time, Allah knows best!

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by AbdH: 6:05pm On Nov 01, 2013
Cahmegga:

"I leave behind me two things, the QURAN and my example, the SUNNAH and if you follow these you will never go astray"

So, we muslims do not want to go astray, so we follow his teachings and actions...u may not know how helpful thses actions are to a muslim until u become a muslim yourself.

Most people judge Islam from afar and from what they are told by other people who are ignorant of the religion. You cannot pretend to know Islam more than Muslims. There is benefit in what the prophet encouraged and practised and it doesn't harm us if we try to follow him. Any Muslim who has the time to observe this solat should do so wholeheartedly.

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Shyeikulislam1(m): 7:27pm On Nov 01, 2013
If u know u dont have anything good to say, y dont u just keep quiet. Is it by force that u must comment. Little knowledge of science makes u an athiest, indept knowledge of science makes u a believer in God Almighty - francis bacon. Thanks for reminding us brother. Good writeup

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by 0monnakoda: 7:32pm On Nov 01, 2013
Cahmegga:

The prophet could not possibly "leave behind him" the Quran. The quran is for those who believe it the word of Allah and not the LEGACY of the prophet. Regarding example again I say the prophet was an Arab who lived over a thousand years ago in the desert. WHO determines what is example/SUNNAH or just ancient Arab culture. E,g do we say because he rode camels or horses we MUST NOT RIDE bicycles. Did he use matches,laptops or phones.
The reality is the so called Sunnah are often argued and debated. The only thing muslims do not argue about is the Quran so everything else is arguable or subject to interpretation
There are clearly elements in the Quran itself that are interpreted differently by diffferent readers or in different contexts.
Repeatedly in the quran you hear the expression "have they no sense"? "this is an example for thinking man" etc this tells me that muslims are EXPECTED TO THINK AND HAVE SENSE

So I ask what is the rationale for the short Trousers? Why is that Sunnah?

You speak as if ALL Muslims agree and follow the same "SUNNAH or so called Examples" Is this the case
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by victorazy(m): 7:34pm On Nov 01, 2013
Baba_Eleko: It's so beautiful how the Quran is able to cover all aspects of mankind. Islam is truly a divine religion. Allahu Akbar!!
What's is this one saying?
Maybe ur power came from the sun, so when it eclipsed u will be afraid of what will hapen, I got it. undecided
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by 0monnakoda: 7:38pm On Nov 01, 2013
AbdH:

Most people judge Islam from afar and from what they are told by other people who are ignorant of the religion. You cannot pretend to know Islam more than Muslims. There is benefit in what the prophet encouraged and practised and it doesn't harm us if we try to follow him. Any Muslim who has the time to observe this solat should do so wholeheartedly.
There may be benefit in using oil lamps but I think electric lamps are more beneficial. Without being boastful I can say I have read the Quran and there is no injunction for any special observance of eclipses. NONE
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by modupewealth: 8:10pm On Nov 01, 2013
Some peeps sha!just 2 pray,u are complainin.what if u were tld 2 curse yaselves.Moreova,ds tin isn't compulsory.May God deliva us all.
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by hameeda2(f): 8:43pm On Nov 01, 2013
I just cant help it, I have to say this. After reading through the post and the comments, the love I have for my religion has increased. Alhamdulillah I am a muslim. Islam is perfect. Islam is a complete way of life.

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Mustay(m): 8:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
There's always a tendency to derail threads and lose the very essence of the original post/topic. Btw, Sunday (Nov 3) is (by default) the last day of the month of Dhul-hijjah and the hijrah year 1434 smiley

2 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Donmichaelz(m): 9:26pm On Nov 01, 2013
xynerise: You guys should also pray for those that will be sacrifice in the interior villages for the sake of calming the Gods of the sun's anger.

Reminds me of Apocalypto grin
hahahah so data the eclipse can save their life.lol nice one
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by AbdH: 10:13pm On Nov 01, 2013
0monnakoda: There may be benefit in using oil lamps but I think electric lamps are more beneficial. Without being boastful I can say I have read the Quran and there is no injunction for any special observance of eclipses. NONE

Oh, I see where you are coming from. From the Sunnah, the prophet (SAW) prayed when there was an eclipse and he encouraged us to do so. In the Qur'an, you must have read where Allah says, '....in the prophet is a perfect exemplar. Therefore we follow his examples as much as we can. The lamp similitude you posted does not go with the discussion but there is nothing wrong in Muslims improvising as long as it does not affect the creeds of Islam.
The same sun and moon that caused the eclipse during the prophet's time are still the ones expected to cause the next one and the same prayer is going to be said - this is standard - any change would affect the creeds of Islam and how we relate with Allah but not so the lamp case.

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by LANRYUS(m): 10:46pm On Nov 01, 2013
nelmafelix: When it comes to investing, nothing will pay off more than educating yourself. Do the necessary research, study and analyze before making any investment decisions. However, here is a n investment company you might want to check out this financial managers, a highly reputable company. you have alot to gain from their juicy investment options.
M c d a v e i n v e s t . C o m

Guy, you don lost o
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by 0monnakoda: 11:52pm On Nov 01, 2013
AbdH:

Oh, I see where you are coming from. From the Sunnah, the prophet (SAW) prayed when there was an eclipse and he encouraged us to do so. In the Qur'an, you must have read where Allah says, '....in the prophet is a perfect exemplar. Therefore we follow his examples as much as we can. The lamp similitude you posted does not go with the discussion but there is nothing wrong in Muslims improvising as long as it does not affect the creeds of Islam.
The same sun and moon that caused the eclipse during the prophet's time are still the ones expected to cause the next one and the same prayer is going to be said - this is standard - any change would affect the creeds of Islam and how we relate with Allah but not so the lamp case.
The So called Sunnah are often lies the Quran is the only authority. Anyway can you quote the SUnnah on the Eclipse so we can examine whether the Prophet actually encouraged ALL MUSLIMS TO DO SO FOREVER. If the Prophet encouraged people to write with pens that does not mean they should not adopt computers.

So we must ask WHY did the Prophet do that..WHAT IS THE REASON . It is only when we know the reason we can determine whather this was something that was encouraged for ONE PARTICULAR YEAR or FOR EVER. Many things in the QURAN have a CONTEXT and if readers do not know the context they assume it is an eternal doctrine or injunction.This is wrong.

With regard to the Prophet being a perfect exemplar again WHAT DOES THIS MEAN EXACTLY ? That the prophet is not a man? the same Quran tells us man is not perfect. Anyway we must still THINK and not follow WORDS blindly

I also read in the same Quran

Sura 66.
O Prophet! Why bannest thou that which Allah hath made lawful for thee, seeking to please thy wives?

What is the context of this verse. Does this imply PERFECTION.
Even if it does, the prophet married more than ONE woman does he advise ALL Muslims to do the same.
At some point he married a girl who was a child. Are we to coclude that those who don't marry children are bad muslims or that they gave GONE ASTRAY as someone seems to be suggesting.?
The Prophet advised his followers to capture women/slaves etc as bounty as was the practice then are you suggesting a muslim is not a good muslim if he does not go out capturing women or slaves?

One Problem Christianity had in its early days was its adherents insisted on the LITERAL TRUTH of everything and this naturally led to conflict. Eventually it had to reform, a very painful process both for Christianity and Society.

Eventually Islam will have to do ths same and confront several inconsistencies in the Quran that are just no longer acceptable e.g ideas of women's inferiority,notions that "menstruation is a disease",intolerance of other religions, The idea that the earth and man are at the centre or the most important part of the Universe, The Quran claims the moon is a "light" we know that the moon is no more a light than the Earth is(The moon has no light), Violent punishments like stoning and amputations to name a few. Christianity and Islam can bury their heads i the sand and refuse to face scientific reality but mankind is moving on. Man and the earth re a relatively inconsequential part of an inconsequential part of the universe

My Point is if the prophet climbed a tree in his life time should we ask why he climbed a tree or then conclude there is religious benefit in climbing trees.

Some people it would seem reason along the lines" if he climbed an olive tree then we must not climb mango trees"

4 Likes

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Arysexy(m): 6:55am On Nov 02, 2013
0monnakoda:
The So called Sunnah are often lies the Quran is the only authority. Anyway can you quote the SUnnah on the Eclipse so we can examine whether the Prophet actually encouraged ALL MUSLIMS TO DO SO FOREVER. If the Prophet encouraged people to write with pens that does not mean they should not adopt computers.

So we must ask WHY did the Prophet do that..WHAT IS THE REASON . It is only when we know the reason we can determine whather this was something that was encouraged for ONE PARTICULAR YEAR or FOR EVER. Many things in the QURAN have a CONTEXT and if readers do not know the context they assume it is an eternal doctrine or injunction.This is wrong.

With regard to the Prophet being a perfect exemplar again WHAT DOES THIS MEAN EXACTLY ? That the prophet is not a man? the same Quran tells us man is not perfect. Anyway we must still THINK and not follow WORDS blindly

Sura 66.
O Prophet! Why bannest thou that which Allah hath made lawful for thee, seeking to please thy wives?

Even if it does, the prophet married more than ONE woman does he advise ALL Muslims to do the same.
At some point he married a girl who was a child. Are we to coclude that those who don't marry children are bad muslims or that they gave GONE ASTRAY as someone seems to be suggesting.?
The Prophet advised his followers to capture women/slaves etc as bounty as was the practice then are you suggesting a muslim is not a good muslim if he does not go out capturing women or slaves?

One Problem Christianity had in its early days was its adherents insisted on the LITERAL TRUTH of everything and this naturally led to conflict. Eventually it had to reform, a very painful process both for Christianity and Society.

Eventually Islam will have to do ths same and confront several inconsistencies in the Quran that are just no longer acceptable e.g ideas of women's inferiority,notions that "menstruation is a disease",intolerance of other religions, The idea that the earth and man are at the centre or the most important part of the Universe, The Quran claims the moon is a "light" we know that the moon is no more a light than the Earth is(The moon has no light), Violent punishments like stoning and amputations to name a few. Christianity and Islam can bury their heads i the sand and refuse to face scientific reality but mankind is moving on. Man and the earth re a relatively inconsequential part of an inconsequential part of the universe

My Point is if the prophet climbed a tree in his life time should we ask why he climbed a tree or then conclude there is religious benefit in climbing trees.

Some people it would seem reason along the lines" if he climbed an olive tree then we must not climb mango trees"

For d first time I will agree with u.

U make sense man. Tell them!
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Leyelyzo: 8:36am On Nov 02, 2013
0monnakoda:

Sura 66.

Ordinarily, I hardly comment on any post on nairaland, but I just can't resist the urge to do so this time around. Mr by your posts, one could fathom that you are sounding like a philosopher, always interested in THINKING and asking 'WHY' all the time. But, what you don't know is, this is bound to lead you astray and make you sound like a fool. Even the philosophers go against themselves, and you can't be right every time. I understand your doctrine, even though it seems you are a muslim, but today you are questioning Prophet and Sunnah, I could see even you are beginning to question Allah and the Quran. This is how being an atheist began that is if you are one already.

Outside religion now, there are some issues you just can't insist on asking 'WHY' 'WHY' Can you question your employer on a pattern of dress code he chooses for his employee, or the working hours and days? By the time you become an authority, you will understand how it felt for someone to question you. If you are not a parent yet, the day you become one and you give an instruction or injunction to your children and they question you and ask you 'WHY', then you will understand better. Continue with your 'WHY' 'WHY' principle. God help you.

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by 0monnakoda: 8:44am On Nov 02, 2013
Leyelyzo:

Ordinarily, I hardly comment on any post on nairaland, but I just can't resist the urge to do so this time around. Mr by your posts, one could fathom that you are sounding like a philosopher, always interested in THINKING and asking 'WHY' all the time. But, what you don't know is, this is bound to lead you astray and make you sound like a fool. Even the philosophers go against themselves, and you can't be right every time. I understand your doctrine, even though it seems you are a muslim, but today you are questioning Prophet and Sunnah, I could see even you are beginning to question Allah and the Quran. This is how being an atheist began.

Outside religion now, there are some issues you just can't insist on asking 'WHY' 'WHY' Can you question your employer on a pattern of dress code he chooses for his employee, or the working hours and days? By the time you become an authority, you will understand how it felt for someone to question you. If you are not a parent yet, the day you become one and you give an instruction or injunction to your children and they question you and ask you 'WHY', then you will understand better. Continue with your 'WHY' 'WHY' principle. God help you.
Does your father sound like a fool when he asks you why?
I am not saying he is a fool but does he sound like a fool

More than 20 times in the Quran . The phrase is used. "Have you no Sense,Have they no sense,This is a sign for thinking man etc" In fact the Speaker criticizes many unbelievers for not thinking. So I am quite sure muslims are expected to THINK.

The reason why we have computers and aircraft is because people asked why not because they prayed at lunar eclipses

I am told
There is a Hadith that says the thinking of one hour is better than 70 years prayer although I do not read hadiths but
I know the Quran VERY MUCH encourages thinking. I know most muslims in Nigeria have not read the Quran. In fact they do not own one!!

1 Like

Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by Leyelyzo: 8:50am On Nov 02, 2013
@ OP, Jazakumullahu khairan, noted!
Re: The Prayer For Solar And Lunar Eclipse by ahmedoba22: 1:52pm On Nov 02, 2013
0monnakoda: I say the following without any disrespect at all.
I often hear many muslims say the Prophet did A and so I must do A. I believe often this does not have to be the case. The fact that he performed a certain procedure during a certain eclipse does not mean ALL MUSLIMS MUST do the same procedure during ALL Eclipses. One example I see is this practice of wearing short trousers or garments several inches shy of the ground. There is an element of colonialisation in this approach.
The prophet was an Arab who lived in the desert I don't see the sense in wearing short trousers in cold countries

Back to the eclipse issue. Without disputing anything can anyone explain why it is necessary to follow a certain procedure EVERYTIME there is an ECLIPSE.
WHY is this necessary?
Is there any benefit,what?
Any disadvantage,what?
Many people introduce a lot of superstitious practises into Islam which seems like some form of idolatry
why? must u talk? if u av notn good to say why dont u just overlook d topic.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Love And Importance Of Cats In Islam / Men Praying At Home Without Excuse / Boko-Haram Is Not An Islamic Organisation – Babangida Aliyu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.