Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,120 members, 7,953,465 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 04:45 PM

Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies (12076 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Holds Street Rallies In Onitsha And Awka. / Latest News On ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 03, 2013
Nigeria Police Clampdown on ASUU Rallies

In a trend that has alarmed many, the police have embarked on a nationwide mission to stop rallies organised by the Academic Staff Union of Universities but allow marches against the union, writes Vincent Obia

The police are your friend” is a popular catchphrase of the Nigeria Police. But in relation to the Academic Staff Union of Universities, the police have acted as an enemy that has taken a stand against the union and embraced all those that hate it and whatever it stands for in its ongoing industrial action.
ASUU has been on strike since over four months. That is no longer news. What is, perhaps, news is the incessant disruption of ASUU rallies by the police, which only recently merely winked at a vituperative demonstration in Abuja by some women against the union.

The national body of lecturers had recently resolved to stage rallies in their local chapters to sensitise the public to the essence of their industrial action. They had, apparently, sensed attempts by the federal government to blackmail ASUU and portray it as insensitive to the plight of parents and their wards. In the midst of desperation by students of public universities – who form the bulk of the country’s university student population – following months of idleness at home, it is easy for the government to try to depict ASUU as an amalgam of everything objectionable to education in Nigeria. ASUU, understandably, needed to speak up before the impression sticks.

But the police have embarked on a nationwide drive to silence the union.
The police on Wednesday disrupted a peaceful rally by members of the University of Abuja chapter of ASUU in Gwagwalada, in the Federal Capital Territory. Heavily armed policemen barricaded entrances to the university and prevented other members from joining the rally while firing teargas on the demonstrating lecturers. One lecturer was, reportedly, rushed to the University Teaching Hospital for treatment after inhaling the teargas.

UNIABUJA ASUU Chairman, Dr. Clement Chuks, said, “The essence of the protest is to sensitise the public on government’s inability to honour the 2009 agreement, we will continue the struggle until the government says yes to us, stopping our salaries will not solve the problem…
“Our demand is that our universities should be made to compete with others in the world.”
But the Divisional Police Officer in Gwagwalada, Mr. Tony Okon, said the presence of policemen at the campus and the “Shooting of teargas was to prevent hoodlums from joining the protest so that they do not take advantage of the situation and cause any damage.”
While it is the duty of the police to maintain public order, firing teargas on peaceful protesters, more so an enlightened group like ASUU, to try to prevent them from becoming violent definitely flies in the face of logic.

But the police have latched onto this excuse to break up ASUU rallies in many states of the federation.
The police in Ondo State, on October 24, disrupted a rally organised by the ASUU chapter of the Federal University of Technology, Akure. And the union’s branch at the Ondo State-owned Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, was not granted permission by the police to hold a rally on the same day. Several riot policemen with an Amoured Personnel Carrier barricaded the main gate to the state university to stop the planned rally.

The ASUU members who had planned to march on the streets with their placards were ambushed and stopped by the police. The FUTA ASUU chairman, Dr. Alex Odiyi, said the disruption by police was despite a letter to the command since October 17 notifying it of the date of the demonstration.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Ondo State, ASP Wole Ogodo, told journalists in Akure that the police stopped the ASUU rally because they feared it “might be high-jacked by hoodlums if the lecturers took their protest to the streets. A reliable source also told some of our officers in Akungba -Akoko that the lecturers will be attacked.”
Last Monday in Calabar, scores of fierce looking policemen barricaded entrances to the University of Calabar and the state-owned Cross River University of Technology to stop a rally planned by ASUU branches of the two institutions.

The police in Ebonyi State on October 16 besieged the Collage of Agriculture, Presco, and Ishieke campuses of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, to stop a rally organised by the university’s branch of ASUU. Reports said armed policemen numbering over 150 and operatives of other security agencies had besieged the three campuses of the university as early as 7am and stationed at the entrances of the campuses ahead of the rally, which was scheduled to take place between 8am and 12pm.

In Bayelsa State on October 22, the police stopped a peaceful protest organised by the ASUU chapter of the state-owned Niger Delta University at Amasoma.
Across the country, many ASUU branches have experienced the police disruption. And in virtually all the cases, the police have adduced the cliché-ridden excuse of preventing possible hijack by hoodlums.

Curiously, the same Nigeria Police that profess to be protecting the public against likely violent degeneration of ASUU rallies did nothing on October 14 to try to stop some women who protested against ASUU at the National Assembly and the Federal Ministry of Education in Abuja. The overall tone of the protest, held under the aegis of Market Women Association of Nigeria, was that of an event with the imprimatur of the federal government.

The leader of the group, Mrs. Felicia Sani, did not hide her prejudice in favour of the federal government. “We are here to tell you we have done our investigation and seen that we can no longer keep our children in the house. What ASUU is looking for is for us to cut our heads and give them,” she said.

Sani also delved into other subjects that are not at issue in the current ASUU strike. “We are tired of seeing our children at home. We want our children back in school. Enough of this cheap blackmail! We all know what they do with our year-one daughters in the university. We equally know that they sell handouts and handbooks. Is this not worse than corruption of the highest order?” she alleged against the lecturers. She threatened further action if the lecturers failed to return to work.

The police watched the verbal assault on ASUU with apparent admiration.
A section of the National Association of Nigerian Students has also threatened action against ASUU if it fails to call off its strike. And the police seem likely to condone this.

The selective disruption of rallies by the police witnessed in the last few weeks is an embarrassment to the country and a danger to democracy. This is more so when the Court of Appeal had in 2007 nullified the Public Order Act, (Cap 382) Laws of the Federation of Nigeria, 1990, which required citizens to obtain police permit before holding public rallies.

Without any cogent reason – beyond the puerile excuse of guarding against a hijack by criminals – the police action smacks of malicious overzealousness not dissimilar to the recent trend in states where the governors are thought to have political disagreements with President Goodluck Jonathan. This assault on the fundamental freedoms of the people is a risk to democracy and justice, especially ahead of critical elections in the next two years.

Human rights activist and lawyer Fred Agbaje says, “The incessant interruption of ASUU protests is a criminal violation of the constitutional rights of the members of ASUU to peacefully protest. The freedom of expression and freedom of association are guaranteed under the constitution.
“The police should go and read the law or go to court for interpretation where they are not certain.”
Unfortunately, however, the police seem to clearly know what the law says and the danger of their action. Their activities bear all the hallmarks of a deliberate assault on perceived enemies designed to excite the federal government. But the government must realise that compromise is not forced in a democracy, it is negotiated and won.

It is important not to trivialise the public concerns over the matter.
All eyes are on Nigeria as it tries to get to the root of the controversial procurement. Probes of many recent scandals in the country have been complete flops. But the world would want to see if the current aviation probe will make a difference.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by sentix(m): 8:34am On Nov 03, 2013
ftc

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by pelhurmy(m): 9:00am On Nov 03, 2013
I don't blame them, it's obvious they're following orders...is dat also the "needful" in calling off d strike?...BH boys dey there oh,make dem go clamp dem down ...
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by anochuks08(m): 9:00am On Nov 03, 2013
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by sobaemma(m): 9:00am On Nov 03, 2013
to me ASUU are greedy fols,dont be surprise if they collect this billions and do nothing

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Dygeasy(m): 9:01am On Nov 03, 2013
Started From The Bottom Now We're Here grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 9:01am On Nov 03, 2013
The Real First to Comment/.
Time to give ASUU the NPDP treatment. angry
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Domaro: 9:01am On Nov 03, 2013
this story too long jorr. Stupld ASUU should go and rest let us learn onlin, u want to compet with rest of the world in what sense. By mamot salary size and hudge allowance or by knowledge u impact, which most of u dont even have. Let us be computalized and we cannot only compete with the rest of the world but we can beat the rest of the world. Teaching me from thrmodynamics note prepared by late profesor when he is still a doctor in 1992 will not compete the world of nano tecnology. We need internet and free acces to accademic matrial online. We can improve greatly.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by seangy4konji: 9:01am On Nov 03, 2013
hmm
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by wman(m): 9:02am On Nov 03, 2013
sobaemma: to me ASUU are greedy fols,dont be surprise if they collect this billions and do nothing

Kindly explain why they are greedy fols(fools).

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by rquest: 9:03am On Nov 03, 2013
let this feud be over so this kiddo's can go back to school
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by emmawiz: 9:05am On Nov 03, 2013
I dey ghost mode
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 03, 2013
You can always rely on our MBUesque police force to employ draconian measures when dealing with anyone not in the good books of the government. It is the striking lecturers today, but it could be you or me tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 9:08am On Nov 03, 2013
Whether ASUU strike is right or wrong the nigerian police have on right to stop their peaceful protest. What kind of Abacha attitude is th federal government adapting, if somebody speaks against the president or the government he would be arrested, if an organisation stage a peaceful protest they would be stopped. Are we in a military regime? Oga jona i forget you are from a state filled with militants, no wonder you are acting like one

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by donted(m): 9:10am On Nov 03, 2013
ASUU strike is a course every student in Nigeria universities must pass b4 graduating SMH

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 03, 2013
Police tear-gas ASUU leaders, stop meeting

October 31, 2013 Augustine Okezie News No comments
A team of policemen from the Gwagwalada division of the Nigerian Police Force (NPF) yesterday, in Gwagwalada, expended more than 10 canisters of teargas in trying to prevent members of the University of Abuja branch of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) from performing their activity.

Source

Police Barricade Unical Gate, Stop ASUU Strike Protest in Calabar

Hundreds of heavily armed police drafted from formations around Calabar, the Cross River State capital on Monday barricaded the main gate and other entrances to the University of Calabar to stop members of the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU from carrying out a planned city walk.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-rc9kJkesDTo/UmYBCQmxnGI/AAAAAAAAYO0/dzm_LF5iT18/s640/ASUU-strike5.jpg[/img]

Source
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by tsleazy(m): 9:12am On Nov 03, 2013
sobaemma: to me ASUU are greedy fols,dont be surprise if they collect this billions and do nothing
wow u are sooo blind, if ASUU is greedy, why didnt they stop the strike when their salaries was witheld, why is the govt trying to stop them from explaining to the general public abt their plight....come on

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by dryakson(m): 9:14am On Nov 03, 2013
Wonders shall never end
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by tsleazy(m): 9:17am On Nov 03, 2013
Domaro: this story too long jorr. Stupld ASUU should go and rest let us learn onlin, u want to compet with rest of the world in what sense. By salary and hudge allowance or by u impact, which most of u dont even have
pls when u graduate from sss u can come back to comment, most people that are posting against ASUU aint university students, cuz if u are one, u will knw how horrible living conditions are in our fed. Universities....

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by 9jvirgin(m): 9:18am On Nov 03, 2013
Doom looms
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Stillemma: 9:19am On Nov 03, 2013
D quality and rating of our universities is too poor.u c some graduates these days and u will feel ashamed,shld we continue this way and reduce education to nothing? Can Fg reach an agreement with lawmakers and not implement it? Our govt does not see education as a priority.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Henrypraise: 9:21am On Nov 03, 2013
I don tire for assu, left for me, Jojo shud grant dia request, den retire all lecturers n profs, how can a set of pple be so annoyin?
Wat do dey even teach?
Nigeria problem started from Udoji awards n now same category of pple ar still clamourin 4 more. Wat happened to: TO SERVE OUR FATHERS LAND WIT LOVE N STRENGHT N FAITH?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by paul288yahoo(m): 9:22am On Nov 03, 2013
The dawn is near
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by bionicdude(m): 9:23am On Nov 03, 2013
seems the police are all out to frustrate their efforts.na dem sabi all i want is for d strike to be called off.my parents have turned me to their resident houseboy i don tire

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by jjagz: 9:23am On Nov 03, 2013
ASUU members do not know the police is actually protecting them by not letting them outside their schools. All the artisans, photocopying vendors, food sellers, transport providers e.t.c around the school whose means of livelihood have been all but stopped by this strike and even the students themselves around the area go catch them beat better beat ehn, no be person go tell dem. Then dem go come dey talk say "FG sent thugs to disrupt our peaceful protest". All I know is that ASUU is crazy.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Domaro: 9:30am On Nov 03, 2013
tsleazy: pls when u graduate from sss u can come back to comment, most people that are posting against ASUU aint university students, cuz if u are one, u will knw how horrible living conditions are in our fed. Universities....
am sorry for u, for ur mind ur r an under graduate. Show me what u've got to call me a pupil? I have worked in federal university senate, i kno whatz on ground more than u can comprehend. As a fed uni student i have seen what our so called ASUU have to offer. Be sincer to ur self, most of them dont need to lecture even kindagaten, sorry to say that.
Hw would u feel when ur lecturer replies to ur question as thus, ....this is what they wrote here, if u dont undertand it go and do reserch. Who are the "they"? Pls kindly ans me.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by adetaiwo157(m): 9:32am On Nov 03, 2013
hmmmmmm.......wonders shall neva end.... # ETT #
Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by geolan(m): 9:34am On Nov 03, 2013
Why are they protesting when its not like FG never increase him offer. Shebi na dem no shake body. Btw who dem wan sensitize about strike. They better go sensitize their families cos the public has lost pity for them along time ago

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Domaro: 9:35am On Nov 03, 2013
jjagz: ASUU members do not know the police is actually protecting them by not letting them outside their schools. All the artisans, photocopying vendors, food sellers, transport providers e.t.c around the school whose means of livelihood have been all but stopped by this strike and even the students themselves around the area go catch them beat better beat ehn, no be person go tell dem. Then dem go come dey talk say "FG sent thugs to disrupt our peaceful protest". All I know is that ASUU is crazy.

u speaks sensible for once, u r right

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by Nobody: 9:45am On Nov 03, 2013
I SUPPORT THIS MOVE BY THE POLICE, BECAUSE I HAVE NOTICED A TREND IN COMMENTS FOR AND AGAINST THIS STRIKE ACTION, I HAVE NOTICED THAT THOSE WHO CONTINUE TO SUPPORT THIS STRIKE ACTION ARE EITHER UNIVERSITY LECTURERS WHO ARE DIRECTLY, A PARTY TO THIS, OR MYOPIC NIGERIANS WHO DO NOT SEE THE HAVE PITY ON THE PLIGHT OF THE NIGERIAN YOUTH, I CONTINUE TO WONDER THAT AFTER ALL THAT HAS BEEN DONE BY THE WAY COMMITMENT OF THE FG IN THIS MATTER CLEARLY, THESE PEOPLE ARE HELL BENT ON FRUSTRATING AND GRINDING THE COUNTRY TO A HALT.
I ALSO WANT TO ASK THAT IF THESE FRIVOLOUS DEMANDS ARE MET, DOES THIS DO AWAY WIT THE NONCHALANT ATTITUDE OF THE AVERAGE NIGERIAN LECTURER TO WORK? DOES THIS STOP THE HARASSMENT AND EMBARRASSMENT OF THE NIGERIAN STUDENT BY THEM?
ALSO, AS PHILOSOPHERS WHOM THEY PROFESS TO BE, IS THIS ACTION MORAL?
WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT I HAVE LOST CONFIDENCE IN THIS GROUP OF INTELLECTUAL KIDNAPPERS, WHO HAVE KIDNAPPED THE DESTINIES OF THE AVERAGE YOUTH AND HELD TO TO RANSOM ON A PRICE THAT EVEN THE GOVERNMENT CANNOT AFFORD.
I HAVE LOST SYMPATHY FOR THESE GROUP OF CRIMINALS LONG TIME AGO, AND THIS ACTION HAS BECOME UNPOPULAR SINCE THE LAST 30 DAYS, AND IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE GOVERNMENT TO DO WHAT IS NECESSARY TO CHECK THE ACTIONS OF A FEW BY BREAKING AN UNHEALTHY MONOPOLY WHICH IMPINGES ON THE RIGHTS OF THE YOUTH TO EDUCATION, AND OUR COLLECTIVE SOVEREIGNTY.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by slap1(m): 9:47am On Nov 03, 2013
I have no sympathy for ASUU.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Police Clampdown On ASUU Rallies by cheesome(m): 9:49am On Nov 03, 2013
I still dunno Y delinquent citizens think that with just money our universities would compete with others in d world...No doubt money can get varsities standard equipment 4 Learning but money cannot buy wisdom, sorry to say this but i dont think we hav standard lecturers in our universities, as we al knw our clown lecturers teach wit notes written ages ago with little or no addition to meet d changes of d present age nd time, i personally have a lecturer dat just reads textbooks(not even published by him) to us during lectures, our education system is rotten nd our university lecturers ar guilty 4 ova 60% rot in d system.....As 4 ASUU tryna protest to create public awareness we already knw u need d money to line ur pockets and that of ur cohort and we aint need to b enlightened by ur protest, how bout u guyz jst sit out d mess uve caused already, i mean we dat ar on d recieving end(students) ar seated @ our various homes..As 4 our yeye police force, i support una.More crackdown on ASUU protest!

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Principal's comments On SS1 Female Student Exam Report Got People Talking (pics) / ASUU - FG To Continue Negotiation Tomorrow (friday) / Meaning Of Some Words In Hon.patrick Speech On ASUU STRIKE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.