Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,219 members, 7,815,266 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? (1927 Views)

What Does 2.4L Really Mean In A Engine Of Car? / What Does It Mean For A Car Trim To Be 'limited' & Another 'unlimited'. / What Does Tpms Mean In Honda Accord? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by kimex10(m): 6:29am On Nov 06, 2013
Hi guys! I'm about to purchase a G35 Infiniti but the dealer says the only problem with the car is "misfiring". Please, what exactly does the mean? Should I risk purchasing it? Thanks
Re: What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by icemann(m): 6:48am On Nov 06, 2013
The easiest explanation means one or more of the 6 cylinders is/are not burning fuel right. The cause could range from a simple thing like bad spark plug, bad coil or boot, and difficult/ expensive as a bent con rod, crank or cylinder head. It could be a sensor or a bad injector. I wouldn't say don't buy but u could ask him if you can do a scan(if the deal sounds good ). Most dealer would fix most minor problems so as to max profit.
Re: What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by cardoctor(m): 7:15am On Nov 06, 2013
kimex10: Hi guys! I'm about to purchase a G35 Infiniti but the dealer says the only problem with the car is "misfiring". Please, what exactly does the mean? Should I risk purchasing it? Thanks

Engine misfire is a term used to describe incomplete combustion in the engine cylinder. An engine misfire is a violent shaking of the engine when an engine cylinder in a combustion engine misses a stroke. You will feel a jerking action when a misfire occurs.

This causes a 25% or more loss of power in comparison to the other cylinders thus throwing the engine off balance. It may either be caused by:

1. Faulty ignition coil
2. Incorrect air/fuel mixture
3. Faulty air flow meter
4. Faulty oxygen sensors
5. Worn out engine valve seats
6. Incorrect timing
7. Incorrect /faulty spark plugs
8. Faulty or clogged up fuel injectors
9. Faulty fuel pump
10. Dirty fuel filter
11. Faulty ECU (Electronic Control Unit/ Module)

Other things may be added to this list but these are the most obvious reasons for any engine misfire.

The Check engine light should be on so make sure that you scan the vehicle for the fault.

Car-Doctor.
Re: What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by kimex10(m): 8:03am On Nov 06, 2013
icemann: The easiest explanation means one or more of the 6 cylinders is/are not burning fuel right. The cause could range from a simple thing like bad spark plug, bad coil or boot, and difficult/ expensive as a bent con rod, crank or cylinder head. It could be a sensor or a bad injector. I wouldn't say don't buy but u could ask him if you can do a scan(if the deal sounds good ). Most dealer would fix most minor problems so as to max profit.
Many thanks. It's a good deal....So I guess I'll just search for another one...you never know
Re: What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by kimex10(m): 8:04am On Nov 06, 2013
car-doctor:

Engine misfire is a term used to describe incomplete combustion in the engine cylinder. An engine misfire is a violent shaking of the engine when an engine cylinder in a combustion engine misses a stroke. You will feel a jerking action when a misfire occurs.

This causes a 25% or more loss of power in comparison to the other cylinders thus throwing the engine off balance. It may either be caused by:

1. Faulty ignition coil
2. Incorrect air/fuel mixture
3. Faulty air flow meter
4. Faulty oxygen sensors
5. Worn out engine valve seats
6. Incorrect timing
7. Incorrect /faulty spark plugs
8. Faulty or clogged up fuel injectors
9. Faulty fuel pump
10. Dirty fuel filter
11. Faulty ECU (Electronic Control Unit/ Module)

Other things may be added to this list but these are the most obvious reasons for any engine misfire.

The Check engine light should be on so make sure that you scan the vehicle for the fault.

Car-Doctor.

Thanks.
Re: What Does It Mean For A Car To Misfire? by icemann(m): 3:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
If he can let you scan the car please do and find the cost to fix it.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Chevrolet Optra Owners / Toyota Camry Or Toyota Avalon / Car Tracker For Just #30,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.