Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,823 members, 7,817,399 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:33 AM

ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground (1717 Views)

Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / Students Dont Want ASUU Strike To End - ASUU President / Has ASUU Strike Been Called Off? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by charlie007: 8:10am On Nov 06, 2013
A reliable source, who made this known, also hinted that the strike would be called off anytime next week.
He said the government team which was led by President Goodluck Jonathan would release N220bn yearly into the sector beginning from 2014.
The source added, “The meeting should be the longest that we have ever had on this crisis but I can tell you that both parties were frank all through the discussions.
“The parties also showed commitment towards ending the crisis. The President in particular showed that he was serious about ending the strike and that was why he offered to release over N1tn to the universities in the next five years.
“The money will be released on a yearly basis at N220bn per annum beginning from 2014. For the outgoing year, the government will only release N100bn and this has been processed.”
He said that the government, in order to show its commitment to a fresh pact, accepted that “the fund(N1.1tn) should domiciled at the Central Bank of Nigeria”
“The money will be released on a quarterly basis to the universities. So, there won’t be any problem about funding the deal,” the source said.
The National Universities Commission and the Trade Union Congress, according to him, will be the joint guarantors of the agreement while the Minister of Education will be the implementation officer.
The source also said that the government agreed among other things, to revamp the public universities by ensuring that all those issues that always led to strike were dealt with once and for all.
It was learnt that the negotiating team of ASUU led by Dr. Nassir Faggae met on Tuesday night to further deliberate on the deal.
Though the details of the meeting were not known as of 11.22pm on Tuesday, it was gathered that ASUU might call a National Executive Council meeting on or before Saturday where the deal would be tabled before all its branch executives.
Jonathan had while shaking hands with Fagge after the marathon meeting in the Presidential Villa, Abuja said, “My President, I hope it (strike) will end today(Tuesday). Our children have suffered enough. We must find a solution.”
All those in attendance responded with a loud “Amen.”
When greeting Omar, he said, “My President with you around, there will be no problem; our agreement is signed, sealed and delivered.”.
Faggae told State House correspondent on his way out of the Villa, that his team would take back a message to varsity teachers before a decision would be taken on the next line of action.
“We had a lengthy meeting with Mr. President, and we looked into how best to address the problem of university education in this country. We now have a message from Mr. President that we are going to take to our members and we are expecting that our members will respond appropriately to his message,” he said.
Fagge added that since the message was meant for members, he would not divulge it to the press.
When asked whether university teachers would be called upon to return to the classrooms, he said that the decision was left for them to take.
When further asked if he was impressed by the President’s message, Faggae cautioned journalists against putting words in his mouth, insisting that only ASUU members would determine that.
The Minister of Labour, Chief Emeka Wogu, who listened to Faggae’s encounter with journalists, later said progress was made during the discussion.
He said, “We made progress. The President of ASUU told you that they are going back with a message from the Federal Government back to their members and the message is full of high expectation and hope.”
When asked whether ASUU would call off the strike, Wogu said that was why he described the message as full of expectation.
“Our prayer is that they will come back with positive outcome. They might even not come back to meet us. They might take decision there that will meet your expectations “ he said.
He added that the offers made by the government during the meeting were those that were in line with the contentious 2009 agreement.
He said since the issues that led to the strike bordered on the 2009 agreement, the government did not go beyond the pact.
The President was joined at the meeting that started at 2.40pm on Monday by Vice-President Namadi Sambo; Minister of Finance, Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala; the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Anyim Pius Anyim; the Supervising Minister of Education, Nyesom Wike; Wogu among others.
Faggae led the union team which included past presidents such as Prof. Abdulahi Sule-Kano, Prof. Dipo Fashina and Prof. Festus Iyayi.
President of the Nigeria Labour Congress, Abdulawahid Omar and his Trade Union Congress counterpart, Bobboi Kaigama, also attended.
Other members of the delegation were Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, Prof. Victor Osodeke, Prof. Suleiman Abdul, Dr. Victor Igbum and Mr. Michael Odunmoraye.
The marathon meeting was the first between ASUU and Jonathan since the strike started. The Presidency took over the negotiations with ASUU on September 19 with Sambo in charge.

http://campusportal.com.ng/education/ASUU-strike-called-soon-fg-ASUU-shifts-ground/7244/
http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-to-give-varsities-n1-1tn-in-five-years/
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Lawconfessor(f): 8:19am On Nov 06, 2013
I beg make dem(ASSU) do fast.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by striker9(m): 8:29am On Nov 06, 2013
Patiently waiting.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Uglyduckling: 8:37am On Nov 06, 2013
Law-confessor:
I beg make dem(ASSU) do fast.
even with the article? It's ASUU not ASSU.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by ishabablessing: 9:22am On Nov 06, 2013
Next week no dey end for dis ASUU matter?evryday nxt week,abegi,if dem like make dem no call of naw,what can be worst dan 4months?make dem try liv am til 2017,,,,idoits
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Nobody: 9:25am On Nov 06, 2013
Ugly duckling: even with the article? Its ASUU not ASSU

It's not Its.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Damlesky(m): 9:42am On Nov 06, 2013
till next week
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by sagytariusTM1: 9:54am On Nov 06, 2013
END TIME ASUU
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by roland2rule(m): 9:56am On Nov 06, 2013
cool
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by roland2rule(m): 10:00am On Nov 06, 2013
[/b][/color][color=#990000][color=][/color][b] grin.......I can't wait to go back 2 AWO..... Missing AROISM......... Halla gr8 IFE's
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Chimezie198(m): 10:04am On Nov 06, 2013
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by oladoya(m): 10:38am On Nov 06, 2013
ferdimako:

It's not Its.
nooo be specific it is not it's
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by oladoya(m): 10:39am On Nov 06, 2013
ishaba blessing: Next week no dey end for dis ASUU matter?evryday nxt week,abegi,if dem like make dem no call of naw,what can be worst dan 4months?make dem try liv am til 2017,,,,idoits
hehehe dont mind them they are floos(fools)
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Ollybarbie219(f): 11:02am On Nov 06, 2013
oladoya: nooo be specific it is not it's
O ga...everybody don turn lecturer...issokay:>!
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Vicjay1(m): 11:46am On Nov 06, 2013
we don hear. Never trust FG and ASUU. Was it not because of an agreement reached in 2009 that caused the strike action in the first place and they have another agreement now. who knows if FG never put puff puff (egg roll) for there pocket.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Uglyduckling: 3:08pm On Nov 06, 2013
ferdimako:

It's not Its.
lol!! On its own that sentence doesn't even make sense. When you want to claim a control of grammar, try to at least do it correctly. My beef was not with her grammar construction but something I've been seeing with most of the so called students who do not even know the correct abbreviation of the association they all claim is keeping them at home.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Lawconfessor(f): 8:04am On Nov 07, 2013
Ugly duckling: even with the article? It's ASUU not ASSU.

Dat is d teacher talkin- fenks

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Lawconfessor(f): 8:50am On Nov 07, 2013
Ugly duckling: lol!! On its own that sentence doesn't even make sense. When you want to claim a control of grammar, try to at least do it correctly. My beef was not with her grammar construction but something I've been seeing with most of the so called students who do not even know the correct abbreviation of the association they all claim is keeping them at home.

Cut the gibberish crap girl.

Who is d student dat is being kept at home?

And by a common error u put up dat crazy statement in d bold.

I laughed and had wanted to ignore u wen i saw ur correction- cos der was no justification wot-so-ever for my mistake.

But u've gat to wake up n realise dat most ppl u re likely to cross path/s wit in dis forum stand 70% chances of being older dan ya. So mind how u address ppl- spice it up wit som courtesy n respect pls.

And why d word BEEF?
Mtchwwww..
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by josga: 8:52am On Nov 07, 2013
dats a nice news. http://PayLub.com/?id=josef
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Uglyduckling: 9:09am On Nov 07, 2013
Law-confessor:

Cut the gibberish crap girl.

Who is d student dat is being kept at home?

And by a common error u put up dat crazy statement in d bold.

I laughed and had wanted to ignore u wen i saw ur correction- cos der was no justification wot-so-ever for my mistake.

But u've gat to wake up n realise dat most ppl u re likely to cross path/s wit in dis forum stand 70% chances of being older dan ya. So mind how u address ppl- spice it up wit som courtesy n respect pls.

And why d word BEEF?
Mtchwwww..
oh please!!! Just take a tour through this Forum and see how many times ASSU replaces ASUU in any thread that has to do with the strike. I have better things to do than engage in e-wars with faceless people. You can choose to crucify the messenger and ignore the message. I will choose to ignore the attack on my person. Nobody is above correction,and for your information, we are not here to celebrate age grades. By the way, I can see how courteous your post is.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by oladoya(m): 4:10pm On Nov 07, 2013
Ugly duckling: oh please!!! Just take a tour through this Forum and see how many times ASSU replaces ASUU in any thread that has to do with the strike. I have better things to do than engage in e-wars with faceless people. You can choose to crucify the messenger and ignore the message. I will choose to ignore the attack on my person. Nobody is above correction,and for your information, we are not here to celebrate age grades. By the way, I can see how courteous your post is.
hell is not far.
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by kizolala(m): 5:29pm On Nov 07, 2013
Is ASUU on strike
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Chimezie198(m): 5:36pm On Nov 07, 2013
kizolala: Is ASUU on strike
No ASUU is in strike
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by Uglyduckling: 7:16pm On Nov 07, 2013
oladoya: hell is not far.
and you're the one to condemn me to hell because?
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by kizolala(m): 7:51pm On Nov 07, 2013
Why are they on strike
Does It mean they stroke someone?
Re: ASUU Strike To Be Called Off next Week As FG, ASUU Shifts Ground by valigil: 7:52pm On Nov 07, 2013
Na God hand we dey

(1) (Reply)

University Of Ilorin 2014/2015 Post UTME / 50 Less Known Facts About The Human Body: Check Them Out! / Likely Exam Questions From Last Days At Forcados High School And Answers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.